The Marine Room
2000 Spindrift Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Global, InternationalPrice: $50 and over
The Marine Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marineroom.com/
- Phone: 8584597222x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Daily: 4 p.m. to Close
Sunday to Friday: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Featuring Appetizers from our lounge menu at $10 each.
Select glasses of wine and well cocktails at $8 each.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Bernard Guillas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Marine Room
For generations of San Diegans, the “Seahorse” symbol of The Marine Room has long stood for its dramatic on-the-surf location and award-winning cuisine by Executive Chef Bernard Guillas and Chef de Cuisine Ron Oliver. Considering this rare blend of culinary excellence, uncompromising service and beachfront setting, it’s no wonder The Marine Room has become a true San Diego landmark. Simply stated, this is fine dining at its finest. Opened in 1941, The Marine Room quickly became famous as pounding surf created dramatic displays against the restaurant's windows. For more than half a century, celebrities, world figures, residents, and visitors have made it a habit to enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of the Pacific and exceptional cuisine. We invite you to San Diego's premier dining destination and experience how each tide brings something new to The Marine Room. You’re not reserving a table – you’re joining a 70-year tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Marine Room - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Marine Room reviews from OpenTable diners
298 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (274)special occasion (248)romantic (224)fit for foodies (121)notable wine list (103)neighborhood gem (63)good for groups (44)great for brunch (25)hot spot (22)great for lunch (18)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- All That Glitters..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014The Marine Room has a stellar reputation for their chef and food and rightly so. When fine dining and paying for it, you expect impeccable service. This was not the case here. Waiter was harried and preoccupied. Food runners and busboys were careless and there was a total lack of attention to detail by all of the table personnel. There are other choices for fine dining where you will receive the service you are paying for. The food was very well prepared and lives up to its reputation. The hostess was welcoming with good eye contact and a warm smile. The table was ready for us upon our arrival. After that, besides the gorgeous view, the service was lacking.Special Features:
- A good time was had by all...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I have been to your restaurant many times and each time it exceeds my expectations. The only reason for the very good food remark is that our Caesar Salad was overdressed. We informed the staff, and fresh salad arrived...we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jschoicejschoiceDined on 9/11/2014Beautiful interior and waterfront view of Pacific Ocean. Food was and has always been fantastic. From the salads, filet mignon and Ahi to the must try chocolate pyramid dessert. One of San Diego/La Jolla's best if not the best dining experience.Special Features:
- Elegant Marine RoomJoyceVIPDined on 9/8/2014Celebrated a 70th birthday with a group of women. We dined on a Monday night for "lobster night". The food was phenomenal (lobster bisque, lobster tail with pistachio cream sauce, and a trio of desserts) as was the sunset view. When the sun sets the outside lights go on, shining on the waves as they crash into the windows. You feel as if you are on a boat. There is no place in San Diego that is this close to the waves. Our waiter, Zac, was very attentive and we were able to sit long after our meal was finished without feeling rushed. The Marine Room is a very special restaurant and we all would give it five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!StenchDined on 9/7/2014If you designed the perfect setting, with unbelievable food, and superb service, the Marine Room is the place. Add on the waves crashing against the windows to add to the perfection, this is the place!Special Features:
- great views & excellent foodBudWDined on 9/7/2014a traditional restaurant that manages to stay current. The food is always very good and the service flawless. This time was no exception; we went for their "high tide" dinner and had a top notch experienceSpecial Features:
- amazingTony32Dined on 9/6/2014The view caught me from the moment we entered. The bar was a great place to sit and sip while waiting for our reserved time. We were sat at our table by the window. Such an amazing view of the waves crashing together and against the building at high tide. The ambiance was relaxing and intimate. The food was spectacular. My only issue would be the parking situation, but valet is available. Thank you for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special place to be!SlowfoodfanDined on 9/6/2014The Marine Room is a long standing favorite of ours for special occassions. This time, we went there for my husband's birthday. It was perfekt: high tide, the sunset, and the perfekt table (as requested) right by the window. We had champagne, a great dinner, the full attention of the wait staff and personal recommendations of the somelleir for the wine we chose to accompany our meal. I especially like the "slow" service which means to me that there is enough time between courses to enjoy what we were eating and to savor the memory of it before the next course. Besides, I want to enjoy the environment, appreciate the ambiance and have dinner with conversation. No hurry here!Special Features:
- A satisfied guestmaestroDined on 9/6/2014A spectacular experience all the way around: food, service, view, etc. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Booked high tide dinner for special Anniversery dinner. Window table was perfect, view was amazing, food exceeded expectations and service on par with a 5 star rating. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dr Eric WhiteEricDined on 9/6/2014This was a wonderful experience. We went there for our birthday celebration and we would trated like a king and queen. The service was perfect and the food was out of this world. I would highly recommend it for everyone and anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience.ilikefoodDined on 9/5/2014Reserved a table 30 minutes before noted high tide peak time. An amazing view, amazing food, and amazing service. Seemed like we were one of a few relatively your tables (we're early 20s), but that didn't matter. No main AC system, so the room got a bit hot, probably from the food and a packed room of people, but other than the slight warmer feeling, everything else was great. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not returningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The room was nice but HOT. The service was poor. Timing of dishes totally off. Too much dressing on Caesar salad. Waiter did not upsell or offer a second glass of wine, just took my empty glass without asking or acknowledging me. Glasses not refilled promptly. The loster bisque tasted like butternut squash soup with very little lobster. Took over 15 minutes to get a waiter to table after seating then another ten to get a menu. Did not offer refill of bread or butter. Too many people, not enough well trained staff. Huge disappointment.Special Features:
- Without parallelDougVIPDined on 9/5/2014Every time I visit San Diego, I book dinner at the Marine Room. This visit was fully up to their normal excellence, including the challenging situation of the air conditioning being out of service. Regardless of being fairly warm, the experience was still exceptional. The entire Marine Room team deserves accolades for staying the course and providing an exceptional experience in the midst of a very challenging work situation.Special Features:
- High Tide DinnerbigmattVIPDined on 9/5/2014No complaints about the basics, food, wine, service, et al, HOWEVER, the nite we were there the air conditioning was not functioning and it was uncomfortably warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely summer eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful view and fabulous food. Restaurant is was very accommodating to our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible viewsCaliforniamomVIPDined on 9/4/2014We ate here years ago and remembered how spectacular he views were, seated at a table by the window with the waves literally crashing up against the glass. I requested a table by the window, bringing guests from out of town. I was told they wouldn't guarantee that, but would try. We were seated at a table three rows from the window, very disappointing. The hostess told me that the round table by the window was requested by someone else. The restaurant is unimpressive otherwise. Good food, not fabulous and There is a musty smell in the room. Next time, I would have a drink in the bar by the window for the view, and go have dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- WhitemiceVIPDined on 9/3/2014This classic restaurant has obviously been grandfathered by the California Coastal Commission since no one is now allowed to build such a place right on the beach, with high-tide waves crashing on the windows. Sunset here is magical, just like being on a cruise. The menu is limited, but has a good representation of various dishes. The server was accommodating to my shrimp allergy by substituting a larger portion of another ingredient in the dish and was flexible on sides for my eating companion. We enjoyed the ambiance and the food with a nice bottle of wine. Though the wine list is rather imposing, the restaurant is very proud of its wines, not wanting to release them for less than 2.5-3 times retail. Quite a bit steeper than usual.
- A 5 star except how seating handledGandBDined on 9/2/2014I had requested a window seat, but the hostess said none would be available for an hour. We were offered several options, which we appreciated, and took one of the options. Although I understand that a request can not always be accommodated, there was one window table that remained empty the entire night. It was totally inappropriate to tell us there was no window available when there actually was. Everything else was outstanding.
- AwesomeFrequentdinerDined on 8/31/2014My dad (age 88) and his long time friends, who live in La Jolla, have had so many memorable dinners at the Marine Room since the early 1940's. We live in Glendale (Los Angeles area) but my husband and I take my dad to the Marine Room every Labor Day weekend after visiting the Del Mar Racetrack. The food and service is outstanding. My parents have traveled the world including multiple cruises. My dad always says this is his favorite restaurant in the entire world. I haven't been to Europe, Australia, or on a cruise, but I have been to the top restaurants in L.A. (since I live here), as well as San Francisco and Chicago. The Marine Room is definitely wonderful and I hope to take my dad there next Labor Day weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean view is just the beginning!facetDined on 8/31/2014With it's location not just on the beach, but in the crashing surf - the view through the windows into the water provides outstanding ambiance for a nice dinner. Food prepared just so and presented as artwork by wait staff who are clearly professionals - well beyond the usual fly-by-night service typical of even the nicest southern California restaurants. Couldn't have been happier with the choice for a birthday dinner. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Marine roomLuvtoeatDined on 8/31/2014Great locale, good and so romantic with amazing ocean/ beach view! Will return for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible experienceDaveinCaliDined on 8/31/2014Food was amazing (except for the Lobster Bisque, which had no lobster). Service was terrible. We were ignored, left with no food, water, or drinks. Ended up walking across the restaurant to tap the waiter and get our check. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Surprisingly, I never felt specialEatHereDined on 8/30/2014It's a nice restaurant and the food was good to great but given the amount of money, I just didn't feel special or that it was all worth it. We ordered a bottle of champagne, the sommelier poured it into the wrong glass (but I was okay with that). She never returned to see how we enjoyed the wine or to suggest something for our meal. The servers were plentiful but we didn't feel they were concerned at all for our dining experience. And then suddenly it hit me: the place is really just a tourist trap, "let's get 'em in, and get 'em out" seems to be the predominate feel here. And when family parties with three or four children are all over the dining room, you know it's nothing special anymore.Special Features:
- JacqueJacqueDined on 8/30/2014This was one of the best meals I have ever had in a restaurant. The service was outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends and co-worker when they travel to the San Diego area.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantcam87Dined on 8/29/2014The service was excellent from the valet to getting out reservation. All of the employees were available to help and we never had an empty glass. A truly great dining experience which is great for the special occasions anyone is trying to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical mealFoodieDined on 8/29/2014This was my second dining experience at the Marine Room and both we're exceptional. The setting is stunning, the service pitch perfect and the food sublime. We were there for a special occasion which was made all the more so by the Marine Room experience. I'm already looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Always ElegantNoiseyDined on 8/28/2014In my opinion, elegance in a restaurant consists of great food, great service and great surroundings. The Marine Room consistently delivers all three. Looking out over the Pacific is always relaxing. Service is always polite, attentive and unpretentious. The food always stimulates my appetite and satisfies my desire for flavors that are out of the ordinary.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner, dessert & sunset!datenightDined on 8/26/2014Being new to the area, we were lucky to have picked such a great spot for celebrating a birthday! The view is stunning, food was divine, and dessert was phenomenal too! We completely enjoyed our evening and will be doing this again! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversary dinner...jplerDined on 8/26/2014We always try to pick upscale, recommended places for our anniversaries. We don't live in the area, but decided to make the drive and it was well worth it. The food was delicious. We asked to be seated near a window to watch the sunset...although we did have to ask that the blinds be lowered so that we weren't blinded! It was lovely and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overratedimage10Dined on 8/25/2014On Monday night we had a reservation for 7pm. The restaurant was not overcrowded. We were not seated until 7:30. We were told that diners were lingering and not leaving when finished. Another group next to us had 7:30 reservations and were seated before us. There was a lobster special which could include wine for an extra fee. The wine portion with the special was a taste only, not a regular pour. We thought that the food was overly pretentious and the flavours not well combined to enhance one another. The view, right on the beach, was spectacular. Too bad the food wasn't on a par. We will not go there again, nor will we recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Service and FlavorsDissapointedDined on 8/25/2014At first our server was attentive. Then as the restaurant began to fill up we seemed to be forgotten. The bread served warm, but I would have liked to have softer butter which would have been easier to spread. The best part of my meal was the lobster bisque...exquisite. The rest of the meal was not. I had the pistachio lobster, and the lobster was completely overpowered by the taste of the pistachios which should have been used sparingly. Lobster has a delicate flavor and it is easy to take away from that. Absinthe does not belong with lobster; again another overpowering flavor. The accompaniments were okay. I had the trio dessert which I enjoyed. The coffee was bitter. Overall, not a place I would recommend.Special Features:
- Puts the Special in celebrationSammmomDined on 8/24/2014This is our go to for lovely never disappoint special evenings. Took out of town guests. Doesn't require a tie or jacket but you definitely dress for the occasion and enjoy it. We chose the lobster night menu and thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went to the Marine room to celebrate our seventh wedding anniversary. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and we had a great time. I mentioned when I called to make the reservation why we were coming. A special dessert was served. I had no idea that this was happening. The dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long waitmehoDined on 8/23/2014The location was very pretty but we didn't get to enjoy the view much since it was late at night. The food took about an hour which is way too long! The crab cake was delicious and my veal was okay...but the sides that came with the veal was delicious! The server did comp is a dessert that was not bad either, but not great. The place is worth a visit...just make sure you have a lot of time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great WaitressAceOneDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent and the view is spectacular, but the outstanding waitress made everything better.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceADMDDined on 8/22/2014From the time we sat down to our departure, it was memorable = food was fantastic, the view spectacular and the service was great. We, truly, enjoyed our evening at The Marine Room. We went to several restaurants in the San Diego area, but, that, by far, was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServicenewcastleDined on 8/22/2014My fiance and I went for our last anniversary as a couple. The view was really nice, sun was going down over the ocean and not too loud in the restaurant. We ordered the Lobster bisque, and neither of us liked it (first time trying it, so not sure what it is supposed to taste like), and our server noticed that we left a lot in there. Without asking us, he brought us a salad because he wanted to make sure we enjoyed our meal. Something like that makes the experience even better. She had steak and I had salmon, both great choices. The butter was the most delicious butter I have ever tasted. Had a hint of lemon or something, and it spread perfectly over the bread.Special Features:
- On the WatereatoutDined on 8/22/2014We were a group of 7 including 2 children and we had a perfect and relaxed evening dining at the Marine Room. There's not only a view of the water, but you almost feel like you're floating on the water. Our waiter was very helpful and discreet, keeping glasses filled, orders taken, food delivered, spilled water dried up without fanfare. Food delicious!Special Features:
- the very best place for makingdelighted6Dined on 8/22/2014the very best place for making people feel more than specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.