The Marine Room
2000 Spindrift Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
Global, InternationalPrice: $50 and over
The Marine Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.marineroom.com/
- Phone: 8584597222x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Daily: 4 p.m. to Close
Sunday to Friday: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Featuring Appetizers from our lounge menu at $10 each.
Select glasses of wine and well cocktails at $8 each.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Bernard Guillas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Marine Room
For generations of San Diegans, the “Seahorse” symbol of The Marine Room has long stood for its dramatic on-the-surf location and award-winning cuisine by Executive Chef Bernard Guillas and Chef de Cuisine Ron Oliver. Considering this rare blend of culinary excellence, uncompromising service and beachfront setting, it’s no wonder The Marine Room has become a true San Diego landmark. Simply stated, this is fine dining at its finest. Opened in 1941, The Marine Room quickly became famous as pounding surf created dramatic displays against the restaurant's windows. For more than half a century, celebrities, world figures, residents, and visitors have made it a habit to enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of the Pacific and exceptional cuisine. We invite you to San Diego's premier dining destination and experience how each tide brings something new to The Marine Room. You’re not reserving a table – you’re joining a 70-year tradition.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Marine Room - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
The Marine Room reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (260)special occasion (229)romantic (208)fit for foodies (108)notable wine list (86)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (40)great for brunch (31)hot spot (20)great for lunch (19)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Ocean view is just the beginning!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014With it's location not just on the beach, but in the crashing surf - the view through the windows into the water provides outstanding ambiance for a nice dinner. Food prepared just so and presented as artwork by wait staff who are clearly professionals - well beyond the usual fly-by-night service typical of even the nicest southern California restaurants. Couldn't have been happier with the choice for a birthday dinner. Outstanding.Special Features:
- JacqueJacqueDined on 8/30/2014This was one of the best meals I have ever had in a restaurant. The service was outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant to my friends and co-worker when they travel to the San Diego area.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantcam87Dined on 8/29/2014The service was excellent from the valet to getting out reservation. All of the employees were available to help and we never had an empty glass. A truly great dining experience which is great for the special occasions anyone is trying to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014This was my second dining experience at the Marine Room and both we're exceptional. The setting is stunning, the service pitch perfect and the food sublime. We were there for a special occasion which was made all the more so by the Marine Room experience. I'm already looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Always ElegantNoiseyDined on 8/28/2014In my opinion, elegance in a restaurant consists of great food, great service and great surroundings. The Marine Room consistently delivers all three. Looking out over the Pacific is always relaxing. Service is always polite, attentive and unpretentious. The food always stimulates my appetite and satisfies my desire for flavors that are out of the ordinary.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner, dessert & sunset!datenightDined on 8/26/2014Being new to the area, we were lucky to have picked such a great spot for celebrating a birthday! The view is stunning, food was divine, and dessert was phenomenal too! We completely enjoyed our evening and will be doing this again! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversary dinner...jplerDined on 8/26/2014We always try to pick upscale, recommended places for our anniversaries. We don't live in the area, but decided to make the drive and it was well worth it. The food was delicious. We asked to be seated near a window to watch the sunset...although we did have to ask that the blinds be lowered so that we weren't blinded! It was lovely and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overratedimage10Dined on 8/25/2014On Monday night we had a reservation for 7pm. The restaurant was not overcrowded. We were not seated until 7:30. We were told that diners were lingering and not leaving when finished. Another group next to us had 7:30 reservations and were seated before us. There was a lobster special which could include wine for an extra fee. The wine portion with the special was a taste only, not a regular pour. We thought that the food was overly pretentious and the flavours not well combined to enhance one another. The view, right on the beach, was spectacular. Too bad the food wasn't on a par. We will not go there again, nor will we recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Puts the Special in celebrationSammmomDined on 8/24/2014This is our go to for lovely never disappoint special evenings. Took out of town guests. Doesn't require a tie or jacket but you definitely dress for the occasion and enjoy it. We chose the lobster night menu and thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went to the Marine room to celebrate our seventh wedding anniversary. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and we had a great time. I mentioned when I called to make the reservation why we were coming. A special dessert was served. I had no idea that this was happening. The dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long waitmehoDined on 8/23/2014The location was very pretty but we didn't get to enjoy the view much since it was late at night. The food took about an hour which is way too long! The crab cake was delicious and my veal was okay...but the sides that came with the veal was delicious! The server did comp is a dessert that was not bad either, but not great. The place is worth a visit...just make sure you have a lot of time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great WaitressAceOneDined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent and the view is spectacular, but the outstanding waitress made everything better.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014From the time we sat down to our departure, it was memorable = food was fantastic, the view spectacular and the service was great. We, truly, enjoyed our evening at The Marine Room. We went to several restaurants in the San Diego area, but, that, by far, was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServicenewcastleDined on 8/22/2014My fiance and I went for our last anniversary as a couple. The view was really nice, sun was going down over the ocean and not too loud in the restaurant. We ordered the Lobster bisque, and neither of us liked it (first time trying it, so not sure what it is supposed to taste like), and our server noticed that we left a lot in there. Without asking us, he brought us a salad because he wanted to make sure we enjoyed our meal. Something like that makes the experience even better. She had steak and I had salmon, both great choices. The butter was the most delicious butter I have ever tasted. Had a hint of lemon or something, and it spread perfectly over the bread.Special Features:
- On the WatereatoutDined on 8/22/2014We were a group of 7 including 2 children and we had a perfect and relaxed evening dining at the Marine Room. There's not only a view of the water, but you almost feel like you're floating on the water. Our waiter was very helpful and discreet, keeping glasses filled, orders taken, food delivered, spilled water dried up without fanfare. Food delicious!Special Features:
- the very best place for makingdelighted6Dined on 8/22/2014the very best place for making people feel more than specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kjmorganDined on 8/20/2014The Marine Room remains the go to place for special events. In our case, it was celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. The view of the ocean is breathtaking. Service is generally excellent. The food was great. Be prepared, it is quite pricey. But for a super special time, I heartily recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We went here a few days ago for a birthday. The place is nice and the service is attentive. The quality of the product is very high and the chef is inventive and daring. We had a complimentary surprise dessert for my husband, which was a delicate unexpected attention. Unfortunately we live in France and won't have the opportunity to visit again, but I highly recommend the place. Come at 7 PM if you don't want to miss the sunset (what we did!)Special Features:
- excellent foodmrs4byDined on 8/17/2014I have never had anything less than a wonderful meal, but very very pricey. Great view watching people frolic in the waves and other diners are usually quite friendly. Great for casual all the way up to very fancy fit in to the ambiance. Waiters are a touch formal, but we did receive excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service even exceeds the viewgpinkertonDined on 8/16/2014Found the Marine Room based on a suggestion for our visit to San Diego. We came for the sunset over the Pacific, but would return for the excellent food and service. The crab cake and salmon were exceptional. Our server, Hector, who had 30 years on the job, was engaging, enjoyable, and made the whole experience something to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marine RoomJordanDined on 8/16/2014Great food, good service, great ambiance. Only issues are: its a bit hot and stuffy inside (need more air conditioning). Also my wife thinks they gave her caffeinated coffee with dessert vs. decaf. Otherwise it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made our anniversary amazing!!SupaDined on 8/15/2014The view is spectacular! The food is so yummy and the service was perfect. You could not be dissappear by this place :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningpaleodinersDined on 8/15/2014We went to the Marine Room for our anniversary last week. The evening was perfect. Great service, beautiful setting and most important, incredible food. Everything on our plates was fabulous. True, it's pricey, but well worth every penny. My husband had the shortribs and prawns, which were almost painfully delicious. I had the filet mignon, prepared exactly as I asked. I don't recall having ever had a better meal. The Marine Room will be our go-to for future anniversaries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before a ProposalSoCalDelishDined on 8/15/2014I made a reservation with a request for a secluded table against the window, and let them know that I planned to propose to my then girlfriend on the beach after dinner. The table was perfect, and the staff was incredibly attentive while giving us plenty of space to enjoy our time alone. Every employee I interacted with was cordial, professional, and genuine. The food was incredible. We enjoyed the forest mushroom casserole, the pistachio-crusted lamb rack, and the free range veal tenderloin, all of which I can't recommend highly enough! It was certainly a more expensive dinner, but it is a very classy place with an incredible view. I plan on returning here for more special occasions, or just a romantic night out.Special Features:
- Dress code?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014It had been a while since we had been to the Marine Room so we booked for our wedding anniversary for fun and got all dressed up. Other than the staff, we were way over dressed. I realize it is La Jolla in the summer time and tourists will wear whatever, but baseball caps, shorts and flip-flops? Young children in the main dining area? Very disappointing.Special Features:
- greatanniversary0807Dined on 8/14/2014from the food to the service the marine room was exceptional!Special Features:
- SuperbPandaDined on 8/10/2014Superb view, great food, amazing desserts. Perfect for celebration, and if timed right you get to see the ocean in daylight+sunset and then the waves hitting the restaurant windows, experience enhanced by the outdoor and indoor lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special NightTimoDined on 8/10/2014Great place for a romantic dinner. Five star taste and presentation. Quality beef and fish cooked to perfection. Air temp inside could have been dropped a few degrees. Had to ask for extra bread two times. I would recommend this restaurant for a full experience knowing quality comes with a price but not over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful placeBeto8aDined on 8/9/2014food was delicious, viea is amazing, my better half and I went for our 1yr anniversary here and I must say it was perfect!!! the view of the ocean waves crashing against the windows, the food was amazing we had the chefs special the filet mignion and the lobster tail amazing i highly recommend, for dessert we split this coffee, ice cream cake with a caramel topping which was phenomenal. my only grip was out waiter seemed to be rushing us and wasn't real friendly at first till it was dessert time. but other then that everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sashDined on 8/9/2014It is always a pleasure to dine at the Marine Room. All of my requests were filled to the max.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday!TucsonDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed a great evening Sat. We discovered The Marine Room 30 years ago when we were in LaJolla for our honeymoon. We live in Tucson, AZ and had been back once or twice when visiting the area. My husband turned 60 on Sat. and I thought what a special dinner the Marine Room would be to celebrate. We invited Tucson friends and the 4 of us spent a 3 hour special evening. Waiter was Danny and he was great. Special dessert came at end which we shared and enjoyed. We all enjoyed our meals and wine. View was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superbStevoskiVIPDined on 8/8/2014The Marine Room is always a great place for any occasion. The food is top quality and presentation beautiful. Everything as always was above and beyond and it was high tide dinner night with the waves splashing onto to glass windows. A gorgeous sunset and a wonderful meal. everything you would expect at this institution of find dining.Special Features:
- service baddinexDined on 8/7/2014very disappointed in service level (e.g., water refills, offer for more wine, slow order taking, food delivery, and bill presentation0, not what we expected for a a $330+ dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Landmark RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014The Marine Room is a very special restaurant, with gorgeous gourmet food, top-notch service and ambience out the wazoo. I envy those of you that live in San Diego county that have such a gem in your backyard. Plan ahead, book an early table and celebrate your next special occasion at The Marine Room...our experience there was a dinner we will never, ever, ever forget. Heaven.Special Features:
- Excellent foodtandlDined on 8/5/2014Food was well prepared and done in a timely manner -- and delicious! Proposed to my girlfriend here at sunset and it was wonderful. One must save up for this dining experience because it is costly, but worth it for a once in a blue moon experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/4/2014This is a lovely spot, but a bit stuffy...literally and figuratively. The view of the water is amazing, but because the room is right on the water's edge, the windows are sealed...and at sunset, the room is very, very bright and a bit hot. One could feel a bit claustrophobic! The food overall was very good, although the caesar salad was way, way too garlicky---and the table-side preparation was a non-event, as it took place across the room. And the salads arrived while we were still eating our appetizer course. Finally, skip having a gin and tonic. The tonic is a really unpleasant, poorly blended gun version which spoiled the flavor of the gin.Special Features:
- mixed review at the Marine RoomGlenDined on 8/3/2014Diverse menu; good specials, but needed to ask for the Lobster special menu I found on the web site - it was not offered. Great waiter. The food came very slowly and one dinner went back as it was served cold. The lobster appeared to have sat a while too and was not really hot, but was not sent back. Big delay in getting the dessert order in; big delay in getting our bill - had to ask for it. It's possible the restaurant was highly understaffed during our visit. The management should be embarrassed that the service and food delivery times were not commensurate with the restaurants reputation or premium pricing.Special Features:
- Spectacular, as alwaysKyleJTDined on 8/1/2014The booth in the back, on the window, is THE place to dine in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!screwyladyVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food, the wines, the wait staff and the awesome view of the sunset over the Pacific ocean is more than one person could ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best experienceDocsordersDined on 8/1/2014Everything was excellent. Food was out of this world with very unique preparations. Kimberly was one of the best servers ever had. No cons at all. Must try if have the chance. Be sure to request table on water in reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.