1200 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39202Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themanshipjackson.com/
- Phone: 601-398-4562x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, Southern
- Executive Chef: Alex Eaton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Check out our diverse catering menu for your next corporate or social event. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner available.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a wonderful space equipped with state of the art audio/visual capabilities. We can set up for any event, banquet, conference, classroom and many more. Talk with our catering coordinator today to reserve your space.
- Private Party Contact: Kassie Gibson 601-398-4562x
A word from The Manship
The Manship Wood Fired Kitchen is focused on bringing you Fresh Local cuisine cooked over wood fire with Mediterranean influence (Spanish, Northern Italian, Greek, Lebanese). Our dinner menu is served a la carte with family style sides to share. Lunch offerings served with sides.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Manship - Best Restaurants in Jackson ›
The Manship reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (68)special occasion (58)great for lunch (57)hot spot (51)vibrant bar scene (46)notable wine list (37)good for groups (37)romantic (33)great for outdoor dining (26)great for brunch (12)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great addition to JacksonBlaineDined on 9/13/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ManshipOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014We had a party of five. Shared the hummus and the wings. The wings are delicious. Got the bone in rib eye, lasagna, au gratin potatoes, hangar steak, pork chop. All were great. Shared cheesecake and chocolate mousse with coffee. Drank Fiddle Creek Cellars Pinot. Everything tasted really good and was well prepared. Service was excellent. It was a little noisy. Restaurant was at capacity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findPeabody1Dined on 9/12/2014Had dinner at the Manship with friends before the theatre. Service was great, our waiter was excellent (Steve) and very knowledgeable - and the food was great- the fire-roasted vegetables were terrific (next time I think I will order only the vegetables!).Has become my favorite restaurant in only one night! ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food with big city feel!NaNa2TriDined on 9/9/2014I couldn't believe that I had not heard of this place before now. Don't let the location fool you. Amazing food. I must say, some of the best I've had in Jackson. I hated to give the service 3 stars because I firmly believe that it was just that day, the time and the person. I fell in love with this place. I called my husband when I got back to the office and made a date with him to return Friday evening.Special Features:
- Enjoyed my first tripSheepyDined on 9/8/2014hangar steak, brussel sprouts, parm fries, charcuterie plate of cheese, smoked salmon, and duck ham, and the sausage and fennel pizza. Manship's drinks were a bit weak and flat flavor wise, but still good. The brussel sprouts were amazing, I don't normally care much for them. Cooked perfectly. So were the fries, very crisp. I ordered my hangar steak rare and should have gotten medium. It was slightly cooled from sitting in the window a too long waiting on my wife's pizza, and when the waiter brought it/placed it on the table he tilted the plate and some steak fat and juices ran to the side of one of the plates, marring its presentation. The steak and the chimichurri accoutrement were great flavor wise. The pizza was the real star.Special Features:
- A must tryFoodybeautyDined on 9/6/2014Ever been to a place where you want to order every thing on the menu? This was this place for me. I have dined here several times trying a different dish each time and I have yet to be anything but pleased. I will continue to frequent the manship to expierence and enjoy the rest of menu. The bar is top notch as well. Good food, good drinks, good atmosphere. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the pork!JacksonianDined on 9/6/2014The pork shoulder, served over polenta, is wonderful. Great favors! Also, the spainish potatoes are out of this world. Manship is a welcome addition to the Jackson dining scene.Special Features:
- 2nd VisitsonjauVIPDined on 9/6/2014I have been to The Manship before but at night and there is a different menu for lunch/brunch on weekends. I had the Gulf Scampi and it was the best scampi I've ever had! The portion was generous for a lunch serving. Had a Grey Goose Cosmo and the bartender certainly knows how to make great mixed drinks. My only gripe was that the waiter had forgotten to put in our appetizers and when we did get them, it was in the middle of our entree. Simple mistake and could happen to anybody. Will be back as soon as I can!Special Features:
- Not for conversationMeatlover60Dined on 9/5/2014The only negative is the inability to carry on a conversation while dining. However, with the food and service being so outstanding, who really needs to talk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goFoodybeautyDined on 9/5/2014This was my third time here for lunch. I usually stick to the lunch specials which have always been great but this time I went for a pizza as the server had told me the chef just switched the menu for fall and added new pizzas. You can split a pizza as it's enough for two with something else. It was perfect. I also got the wedge and the onion ranch salad dressing is delicious! I have got to make it in for dinner sometime soon. Oh and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Great hot food, the fish and the vegetables were wonderful. Excellent experience.Special Features:
- hungryDined on 8/16/2014Interesting menu and friendly service. Not too pricey. Will be back for sure. The salads to start off we're great. Tried the Caesar and Mediterranean both very well done. Rest of the meals were popular with our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAllainsmynameDined on 8/16/2014I've been here several times now, and still haven't had anything I didn't thoroughly enjoy. The food is always top notch. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Cater to you every needLovelocalfoodDined on 8/15/2014I have a food allergy and our server, Rachel, was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped me with my food choices. She was very aware of food allergies and the danger of coming in contact with the allergen. In addition, the food was fabulous!!!! We will frequent the Manship.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Friday Night PlaceRoosterDined on 8/15/2014This is one of the few casual restaurants in town that consistently serves fantastic food in a relaxed atmosphere for a reasonable price. Want to go wearing jeans? Fine. Want to dress to the nines? Fine. Want to follow a diet? Not a problem. Their menu choices are ample and one can choose to eat healthy. I like their local produce and we are still working through the menu discovering more favorites. I do recommend getting reservations or going early - especially if you want to eat in the more open "sunroom" instead of the darker dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmmaEmmaDined on 8/7/2014We really like this restaurant As usual, everything was wonderful. Great appetizers and entrees.Special Features:
- One of Jackson's BestShoppegirl408Dined on 8/5/2014We were a party of five and all got different entrees and everyone was praising the chef. We really enjoyed ourselves. Service was also very good. We all said we would be back - it was my second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/2/2014I have dined at the Manship several times now and every single time it has been a great experience. The staff are friendly and laid back. The food is fresh and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was great, skip tiramisu!TotalfoodieDined on 8/2/2014Request a booth for 2-4 people very comfortable & intimate or sit outside. Tomato avocado salad with feta was excellent as is their focaccia bread. Our table had redfish & grouper with sides of garlic spinach, polenta, broccolini & au gratin potatoes that were all very good & perfectly prepared. Sides can be shared as they are steakhouse portions. The tiramisu was a disappointment like something you'd get from a cheap buffet or out of a Sysco package! There's a decent wine list, signature cocktails & craft beer as well. We look forward to sampling other offerings soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lebanese meets The SouthsonjauVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great decor, great bourbon! Was my first time there and I can't wait to bring my husband next time!Special Features:
- Great birthday mealmjdickerDined on 7/30/2014Everything from the poke appetizer to the tiramisu was delicious. I am still thinking about my birthday dinner several days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed bagOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014Everything was very good except for the Entre, which was mediocre and bland. Three of us had the mango snapper and it needed something to set it off. Just seemed underwhelmed after all the verbage the waiter gave us on the menu.Special Features:
- Manship "Happy Hour" AMAZING!Larry39202Dined on 7/28/2014Call about the times and Happy Hour specials. Truly one of the best deals in town!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I made reservations online with Open Table and had a decent but not notable meal . It was fairly expensive and though the food was mediocre , the service was good and atmosphere was nice. I was willing to give it a second chance until the following day when I received a snippy note from Open Table that I had not honored my reservation. That sealed the deal- doubt I will use Open Table again or eat at Manship again.Special Features:
- Great spot near downtownLeslieDined on 7/22/2014Downtown has needed Manship and I'm so glad it is here. It has great food made with local ingredients. I could not love it more. Perfect for any occasion. One of my very favorites!Special Features:
- Great spot!FoodybeautyDined on 7/19/2014Excellent experience!! The wine and cocktail list you can tell was well thought out. The menu is in line with what's in season and the food is prepared simply but tastefully. The open kitchen and wood fired oven set off a relaxing and entertaining ambience. We ordered the redfish and hanger steak and were both very pleased. We shall return to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night out!FoodybeautyDined on 7/19/2014Great food, great atmosphere, great drinks! Don't pass on the bread!!!!! We may have been lucky and got a fresh batch but it was delicious!! I asked where it was made hoping I could get some but was told by our server it's made in house and takes three days! If your looking for a place to have a drink at a good bar scene followed by a good meal this is a good place. Also, not to far from other hip spots in the area of Fondren.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick is a great bartenderasabernathyDined on 7/15/2014Ask for the Hunter S Thompson cocktail! I had never heard of it but it was delightful and very tasty. The name and the absinthe make it feel edgy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour SpecialsLarry39202Dined on 7/15/2014I discovered Manship has a Happy Hour (call for details) with amazing well drinks (I enjoyed a gin and tonic and found their well gin is Tanqueray), their great wine selection and signature pizzas all included. When you follow this with their great summer veggies - cooked to perfection by Alex Eaton- and excellent service by Nick, you have a winning combination for a very happy dining experience and all around great deal! Their lunch menu is not to be missed either by the way. Daily specials around $10 that re-define "blue plate" providing a new and hard to beat frame of reference. When I run into servers and even owners from other great area restaurants here, I know I've made the right choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!FoodybeautyDined on 7/15/2014The Manship has got it going on! I went with 2 co workers for the first time for lunch and I can't wait to return for dinner. Our server was prompt and very well educated on the menu and gave good recommendations. We started out with the tomato avocado salad which seemed fresh out of the garden. So simple and light but packed with flavor. All of the dishes we ordered were delicious but the pizza was fantastic. The decor is lovely, the server informed us that all the art on the walls is from local artist. The prices seemed decent and I can't wait to go back for dinner with a group as the menu is set up perfectly for sharing! Oh yeah and the wine list looks awesome and wines by the glass were priced well to. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch2EatDined on 7/15/2014Have been to The Manship on several occasions and have had a great time. Lunch the other day was no exception. Promptly seated. Water and bread service spot on as to timing. Ben, our waiter, very menu savvy and answered several questions without hesitation. Lunch was to be light so we split special and ordered extra sides. Catfish portion was ample for us to split and with the sides made for plenty to eat. Spanish fries very tasty with a spicy, crisp exterior and soft interior. Great catfish. Batter seasoned, crisp and non oily. White remoulade good condiment for fish and fries. Corn maque choux was rich and creamy. Best I've ever had. Interesting music playlist. Great lunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but priceyRiverbend1Dined on 7/12/2014Food was good, small plates, pricey. Calamari was heavily breaded. Tile fish was very good as was the hangar steak. Sides are good for 2 people, order 2 as nothing comes with your entree. Wait staff were very friendly. Ordered Mollydooker wine, they did not know the correct way to serve it but seemed happy and appreciative to learn. Ordered chocolate mousse dessert, it was good. Sounds like a big meal, but we we not full, but satisfied.Special Features:
- Lay off the Salthpgraphics117Dined on 7/12/2014My wife and I were looking for a new restaurant to try this weekend. We found that we could make reservations for The Manship on Open Table, which was nice. First of all, the name is a little confusing. There is a Manship restaurant and bed and breakfast, but I don't know if these two are related. The atmosphere of The Manship was really nice. The outdoor area looks nice, as well as the bar. We dined at a regular table. This restaurant uses sea salt ON EVERYTHING. I actually like my food a little salty though my wife does not. Most everything we ordered was good, but a little too salty. The lasagna however, was not edible. It was way too tart. The waitress was kind enough to comp that order, though.Special Features:
- Disappointed dinerDiscriminatingdinerDined on 7/10/2014Ambience service was great. Food was a major disappointment. The Roasted Chicken Pasta should be renamed spaghetti with chunks of chicken. Using MS produce is not to save this restaurant. Until the menu expands and the food improves I have made my first and last trip to Manship.
- Good choice!PMaDDined on 7/10/2014A friend and I picked The Manship for our weekly gathering. Promptly seated upon arrival (reservations). Restaurant was full including bar area but service was prompt and attentive. Bread was served with a super quality dipping oil. Bread is made in house and was delicious. The menu is eclectic and unique for Jackson. There are daily specials as well. I opted for the lunch special, brisket, and subbed cauliflower for the potatoes. No problem with swap. More than adequate portion of brisket, fall apart tender with a savory au jus. The cauliflower was cooked crisp tender with just enough char to let you know woodfired. A great pairing with the brisket. Friend had the BLT with truffle parm fries and raved about both. Excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not this timeExcellentDined on 7/10/2014We have been here several times for lunch, sadly, the food has declined. On Thursday, the best thing is something they call brisket, but it is actually pot roast and is served with some very fine scalloped potatoes. (most likely the best thing on the menu) But, this week, we chose the shrimp poboy. It smelled fishy on arrival to the table and we had to search for the shrimp. It was more like a bread meal and speaking of bread, that's what I ate. The bread that they serve before you get your meal (the good stuff with the olive oil) We will not be back, just a huge dissappointment, yet again. The tea was weak and more like water. Service, as always was excellent! Last visit, it was the sauce (full of hot seasoning) inedible.Special Features:
- Tasty, but overpriced.localdinerDined on 7/7/2014The Manship's atmosphere is warm, refined, and invites conversation, and so it quickly comes to mind for working dinners. On paper, the menu promises thoughtful deliciousness. In actuality, the food is not awful, but it just isn't as good as I would like it to be to be willing to pay so much. I am willing to pay for exceptional food, and with all the other fine ingredients making up The Manship experience, I'd like to see The Manship dishes become more interesting, the flavor profiles more nuanced and deeper to substantiate the pricing. Either that, or align the pricing with the fact that the food is actually quite simple and in some cases mundane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre foodwilvisDined on 7/3/2014The local produce was good but our steak and fish entrees were extremely disappointing. Now I realize the reason for sauce over steak entrees...to hide the taste of the beef.Special Features:
- Hip neighborhood spotRebel5808Dined on 7/2/2014The Manship just makes you feel good. From the well thought out interior design, creative menu, and fantastic customer service led by sweetheart, Steven O'Neill, Belhaven neighborhood's newest hot spot is the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer Menu a Taste Treat!Larry39202Dined on 6/27/2014These ain't your typical Southern veggies. Colorful, crisp and packed with flavor. I highly recommend the veggie plate when catfish isn't available on their Friday menu. Chef Alex has another seasonal winner!Special Features: