The Manor - Terrace Lounge A la Carte Dining
111 Prospect Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Manor - Terrace Lounge A la Carte Dining
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.themanorrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (973) 731-2360
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 8:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 7:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Altholz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Manor has been hosting exquisite private events, large and small, for just about every every occasion, for more than five decades. Elegant rooms, attentive service and fine dining from Chef Mitchell Altholz are the start of a fantastic dining experience at The Manor.
- Private Party Contact: Elena Smirnova 8883145348
- Entertainment: Pianist nightly in the Terrace Lounge. Le Dome rooftop cocktail lounge is open Friday and Saturday nights with a bar menu and dancing to our DJ from 9:00pm to closing.
- Special Events: Check our website for upcoming special events.
A word from The Manor - Terrace Lounge A la Carte Dining
Since its opening in 1956, The Manor has meant many things to many people; elegant dining in The Terrace Lounge, their World-Famous Lobster Buffet, memorable weddings and other family celebrations, business meetings and dinners in their private dining rooms. Whether it be for an intimate dinner for two or a party of 200, The Manor has always been considered to be the premier establishment to make any event extra special. In addition to The Manor's excellent cuisine and attentive service, you can stroll through beautiful gardens, walk past magnificent fountains or simply enjoy a romantic dance after dinner. The Manor is truly a multifaceted, total dining experience which you can enjoy anytime, turning any day into a celebration!Continued
Business Casual. No jeans or sneakers.
Business Casual. No jeans or sneakers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Manor - Terrace Lounge A la Carte Dining - Best Restaurants in West Orange ›
The Manor - Terrace Lounge A la Carte Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)romantic (20)notable wine list (11)fit for foodies (8)scenic view (7)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Straight out of a movie diningFancydiningDined on 11/7/2014Our group of six had a choice of four restaurants, and the Manor was the best choice due to time constraints. Everyone was very accommodating, knowledgeable, and friendly. The atmosphere was that of a romantic movie scene with live music and beautiful decorations. The palate cleansers were a nice surprise and beautifully displayed. The main course was beyond what we expected. After a long week of work, it was worth the complete experience the Manor offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were celebrating our one year wedding anniversary. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was amazing!Special Features:
- Love that its old fashionedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014We come here at least a few times a year, and always love it. At first you get thrown off that it feels a little dated (wife and I are in our 30's), but in reality it's just trying to make you relax and enjoy a evening with great food and service. IMO The throwback feel of The Manor adds to the the feel of having a special night. Also, we love that they have a piano player in the middle of the floor. The food is always at least good, and usually great. We will be back many more times.Special Features:
- Top notchraygunVIPDined on 9/26/2014My oysters escargot (baked oysters with shaved escargot on top) was the best new dish I've tried in a long time and my duck breast with leg confit was delicious. Nothing left to bring home. My wife enjoyed her food also. The night began with a complimentary amuse and bread. No Blue cheese olives for martinis which was strike one and there was a kitchen screw up delay in the firing of our entrees which was strike two but we never got to to strike three. Great food, nice atmosphere,very courteous and attentive service from the host Gray and waiters David and Eddie and a few comps due to the kitchen delay. I'm looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special special occasion spotMichiganRegularDined on 9/7/2014We have been going to The Manor since it opened, and it is always a treat. Great food, ambiance and service. John the pianist is a gem. I know nowhere else in northern NJ that has such quality, service and live music. We recommend it highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceBbircieDined on 9/6/2014Service was so slow we left before our entree was served. Will never return and we used to love the place.Special Features:
- Service can hurtlovetodineDined on 8/30/2014I have been going there for more than 30 years. The food is very good, however, the service has changed significantly. We usually go on my mother's birthday . She enjoys the old style of The Manor. We waited 20 minutes for a table. I feel as though they are living on their reputation of days gone by. It took 12 minutes before anyone approached the table to take an order. Although our waiter was good when he arrived, he did not have good support staff. Bread arrived cold. No wine list was offered. Same waiter took the order, served and cleared the table. Strange. Dessert waiter was not friendly and did not pour the tea for an elderly woman. We had 2 birthdays to celebrate. Advised no one around to inscribe the names on the plates!Special Features:
- The ManorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014Really enjoyed pianist and our waiter Julian. Food wonderful! Ambience perfect! Furnishings beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the BestNYerDined on 8/24/2014We were married here 25 years ago. Decided to take the children to revisit where it all began. Dinner was excellent. The staff surprised us with a 25th anniversary cake. The children took pictures in all the same spots as our wedding pictures. The Manor hasn't aged at all. Too bad we have - a bit. It was a wonderful evening. The children thought we should come back every year going forward. Maybe even consider another family wedding here........What a treat that would be.Special Features:
- Wonderfully romanticDaniRNDined on 8/3/2014The service was great... We both had the chefs menu which was such a treat... Everything was so fresh... Cocktails were especially good... The gentleman played piano which created such a perfect way to celebrate our anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 319 reviews are from the The Manor - Terrace Lounge A la Carte Dining reviews archive.
- Excellent somewhat aged atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/21/2014Very experienced, almost pompous staff. Excellent choices of cuisine, prepared and presented well. Definitely a restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!beenie13Dined on 6/19/2014Once again, The Manor was top notch! The food is always cooked to perfection. Service is attentive, but never intrusive. The gardens were in bloom so there was wonderful foliage to be seen from every window. This is truly a gem. If you are celebrating something special, go here!!!Special Features:
- Great FoodBroadyDined on 6/14/2014The food was some of the test food I've had. I had the Beef Wellington and my wife had the breaded rack of lamb. We had a salad and diver scallops with proscuitto for appetizers and Malbec wine. All food and wine was great the appetizers were a bit small for what im used to but tasted great. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The environment was excellent and food and service was terrific. I would strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best overall in NJSACRATDined on 5/31/2014I rate The Manor No. 1 and Highlawn Pavillion No. 2 in NJ. I'd eat at both of them and my Club all the time, if I had the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!!!!!!!!fitfreddieDined on 5/17/2014I had the Black Sea Bass..................still thinking about it. We dined in terrace room...very romantic with the piano player in the center. Service was outstanding. After dinner we headed up to the Dome for dancing!!! can't beat that. Loved itSpecial Features:
- FabulousViejoMajaderoVIPDined on 4/23/2014Another fabulous dinner put together by the Manor team. Just cannot say enough nice things about our dining experience. Too bad more people do not take advantage of the restaurant in the Manor. Their loss in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014We celebrated my husband birthday and it was really special !!! The food was fantastic !!! The piano music ... I love it . We had a wonderful time !!! Totally recommend 👍👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placedinersfromNutleyDined on 4/19/2014The Manor always delivers. For a wonderful dinner experience, that is the place to go, for a special occasion or just because you want to feel special. Had the good luck of having John at the piano, excellent listening experience, great repertoire, great execution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a great dining experience.Foodfanatic007Dined on 4/6/2014It was a great dining experience. You're waited on hand and foot! This was for a special event and I think the guest of honor thoroughly enjoyed themself!!2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent. OurPantsVIPDined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent. Our appetizers were terrific and they were served in a reasonable amount of time. The restaurant wasn't full, so i was surprised that our main course seemed to take awhile, but we enjoyed them when they were served. However, we greatly enjoyed the piano music while we waited - it added a lot to the overall dining experience. In addition, the seating was extremely comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class All The WayRandolphdadDined on 3/15/2014The Manor never disappoints. The service is impeccable. Food was prepared beautifully. Nice added touch such as pre-appetizers from the chef. Lovely piano playing.Special Features:
- Terrace lounge at its bestViejoMajaderoVIPDined on 3/15/2014What more can one ask for. 20 minutes from home. No tolls. No $30.00 parking fees. And food prepared as good as many great restaurants in NYC. We had a special dinner for 8 Ina private area. All ordered off the regular menu. The food was excellent. The wine and beers were fabulous. The service was beyond compare. My complements to all of the staff that made this evening fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Birthday ExperienceGeniaDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I attend the Manor for dinner for my birthday. I dressed up in a pretty gown and he wore a nice suit which was perfect for the ambiance, although not necessary we just wanted to dress up this way. We ate of of the chef tasting menu which was delicious and they even brought me out a special cake with a candle for my birthday. They decorated the plate with the words happy birthday in chocolate. The chef is top notch! We had a salad with crab cakes in it, superb! The services was outstanding, everyone was very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:
- A Taste of Paradise in JerseyMikeyPVIPDined on 2/15/2014Great food, great service, quiet, and romantic without being pretentious. Had a lovely dinner for Valentine's day and the staff was great all throughout the night.. Even though it was busy, you never felt rushed and still maintained the quiet romantic vibe. Food was great and wine list was huge (well over 10 pages) but our waiter made some great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014We went there for our 16th anniversary. The food was very good and we had a pleasant evening. The pianist was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Fantastic, as always!Kasey222VIPDined on 2/12/2014We dined here on Wednesday for an early valentine's celebration. The Manor does not disappoint. The food is always delectable, with a number of items presented courtesy of the chef. The servers, led by Serge, float through the room as if part of a ballet, always the epitome of grace and elegance. Impeccable attention to detail. You don't find this type of service very frequently. We will most certainly be back for our next special occasion! Thank you to the Manor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's like they knew we were comingdhalgren99Dined on 1/18/2014I should confess we had an ulterior motive for going there . . . we're getting married at the venue in a few months so we were tasting the possible food options before we make a final decision on the menu. It was our first time eating there as well and the experience overall was very impressive, we were seated in a nice quiet section in the back. The waiter who took care of us was very attentive, answering our questions and explaining the specials to us. We were attempting to try a variety of meals, so we tried the lobster bisque, beef carpaccio and for our entrees two different fish. Everything was excellent, prepared and presented with care, and it'll make our final decisions more difficult when the time comes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday 1/10/13SargeDined on 1/10/2014My wife and I were using a gift certificate that was given to us for our 25th wedding anniversay. We would probably not have gone to the Manor if it wasn't for that. We loved it and will definitely be back to celebrate there again.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceEllieDined on 1/4/2014Exquisite dining experience -- excellent food, lovely music, perfect service, beautiful setting --intimate. A gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully special place to dine!PyKnowsBestDined on 1/4/2014A special night out that was absolutely wonderful! The pianist played delightful music at just the right volume. The wait staff was cordial, helpful, attentive but not overly so. The table spacing was adequate: no one too close or too spread out. The food was delicious - and plentiful. Every course was served in an appropriate amount of time, pleasant to look at, and delectable. It was a completely enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasurable experienceEccomiDined on 1/1/2014The Manor's spectacular Terrace Room still sets the standard for traditional elegant dining in New Jersey. You are made to feel special from the moment you enter. Service in the beautifully appointed dining room is professional and efficient. The dining atmosphere is enhanced by the gentle strains of romantic music played by excellent pianists on the grand piano in the center of the room. And, oh yes, the food and drink are the centerpiece of the experience, always well prepared and nicely presented. We look forward to returning to the Terrace Room for many years to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New year's day experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/1/2014Food was exceptional, service attentive, piano player fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as alwaysdzeckhausenVIPDined on 12/29/2013Service, food, and atmosphere are consistently top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbEricDined on 12/29/2013Lobster Thermadore was a classic done perfectly. Accompanied by perfect service and an enchanting piano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodMayanahDined on 12/21/2013The dining hall was okay; it could have been a little more up to date. I had attended a wedding there once, and I thought the dining side would look alive like the reception hall so to speak. The only complaint I have is that the hostess took too long to seat us even though we had reservations. What I did like was the dance bar on the upper level. My husband and myself were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeddingmstewolDined on 12/18/2013We had just got married and went with our wedding party to the Manor. The service, atmosphere and food were elegant and gracious enough for the celebratory nature of the evening. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Never disappointedLCONDined on 12/6/2013We have been dining at the Manor, ala carte dining, for many years and have never been disappointed. It's a gem with ambiance that cannot be found in other places. Food is superbe and service wonderfu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dining experienceKathyDined on 11/30/2013Great food, very friendly and accommodating service. Went there for a special occasion and plan to go back to make other occasions special. Has everything we look for in a fine dining experience. We enjoy going out for fine dining frequently and the Manor may have just become our new favorite place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ManorThekingVIPDined on 11/9/2013We keep coming back to the Manor because of the fine food and expert service. We enjoy the piano player Steve. Thr atmosphere is wonderful. We love the food. We believe it is the best place In New Jersey .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.