The Makk on 124
10418 124 Street
Edmonton, AB T5N1R5Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Makk on 124
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themakkon124.ca/
- Phone: 7807053710
- Hours of Operation:
Seven Days a Week, Monday - Sunday 4 PM - Late
Please be advised, due to our liquor licensing with the Alberta Liquor Commission, minors are prohibited after 10 PM daily. We welcome minors to join us for dinner with their families prior to 10 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Ruby
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Need catering for your special event or private function? The MAKK on 124 will cater to your needs! Work with Event Manager Stephen Simmons, and Executive Chef Jonathan Ruby to create a custom menu for your event that will be sure to please. Weather it be a private dinner for two in your home, or a Bar Mitzvah for 800, the catering team at The Makk on 124 is sure to fit your catering needs.
To discuss details, or find out more information about our catering, contact Event & Catering Manager, Stephen Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Makk on 124
Welcome to The Makk on 124 (pronounced one-two-four). Our entire team, including management, and new Executive Chef Jonathan Ruby are pleased that you have chosen to dine with us. As a casual boutique wine bar, we pride ourselves on serving quality fare at affordable prices, made with fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Our NEW Fall / Winter menu has officially launched. Experience Jonathan Ruby's Cuisine influenced
Our NEW Fall / Winter menu has officially launched. Experience Jonathan Ruby's Cuisine influenced
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Makk on 124 reviews from OpenTable diners
- DecevingMYULDined on 10/26/2013We went to the Makk on 124 on a Saturday night and the restaurant was almost empty. We expected a great place to go out with a great ambiance, but it was cold and characterless. The food was ordinary and not remarkable. The cesear salad was original and creative but the soup was too sweet. The bison was a bit dry and the sauce was again to sweet. The overall experience was deceiving, because according to the rating, the Makk is supposed to be one of the best restaurant in Edmonton. To me it is an average restaurant that wants to be recognize as gourmet but their standards are not even close to a culinary and fine cuisine experience.
- Looks great!dinealotDined on 10/26/2013The place looks great and when you walk in it feels great. The server checked on items and reported back with information, but lacked enthusiasm. No house wine. Food was by far the most outstanding we have SEEN in a long time, the meat cuts however were not of a tender variety. Lamb ragout was tough. Bison was tough. Duck was tough. And too bad because this place has a lot going for it--buy local but MAKKE sure it is of the standard of your presentation!Special Features:
- Sub par food. OverpricedLivweaverDined on 10/25/2013I read the reviews on The Makk saying how it had been reinvented and was very good. It was awful. The food was horrible, lacked flavour, meat was cheap tough cuts, and prices were not in line with offerings. I would not recommend this place. We sent 3 of 4 meals back, and the fourth only survived as I added a lot of salt to make it passable.
- Don't forget the customerdinnerfor2Dined on 10/24/2013I invited a friend from Kelowna to dine with me whom I hadn't seen in years. We had Apple & Rutabaga Soup, Caesar Salad and Beef & Potatoes The soup was nice-sweet and creamy with blanched apple cubes and Hershey kisses-shaped rutabaga. Earthy tasting rutabaga pieces clashed with the sweetness and I noticed them piled up in my friend's emptied bowl too. A do-it-yourself Caesar (head of romaine cut into 3 pieces on a narrow flat plate / deep fried egg yolk / strip of bacon and a sardine lattice cracker with enough dressing to discern a bitter taste) this counterintuitive appetizer was laughable. We made a mess of the table and our laps. The beef? Bring your own bandsaw. The server did not ask if we enjoyed the meal or why we barely ate it..
- Very nice experienceDeanDined on 10/5/2013We decided to try The Makk out this weekend, and were glad we did. The food was excellent, and the service was great. I had a duck with chocolate wine sauce which I really enjoyed, and the apple and rutabaga soup was suberb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu. Food wahoo veryGooeyVIPDined on 10/3/2013New menu. Food wahoo very tasty. Great for the adventurous appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny & TerrificTigerhouseTeamVIPDined on 10/2/2013A relaxing dining experience. We were here for "wine Wednesday" (bottles half price) - awesome! The small complementary amuse bouche & tiny biscuits were enough to keep our appetites in check as we waited for our mains. This is a place where you want to come when you are NOT in a hurry. Service, attentive - food expertly prepared and presented. I had the lamb (two ways) and my husband had the bison filet. They were tasty and filling, while not making us feel too stuffed. We shared a decadent chocolate dessert -- which in hindsight - was maybe a bit too much following a rich meal. Start to finish we there for about 2 hours, but didn't feel like time dragged. Dinner for two with tax, 1/2 price wine + tip $125. A small spot with big output.Special Features:
- not goodsarah7654Dined on 9/30/2013My family and I went there for dinner last Monday and unfortunately, we did not enjoy the experience at all. The waitress was fantastic, but the food was a complete let down.
- something's differentoberonDined on 9/27/2013The first time we went, the food was awesome, the kitchen was accommodating, the service was awesome (and quick). This time was different. The fall/winter menu isn't as good as their summer menu. There were only about 4 tables filled when we go there, but service to get drinks and have our order taken took forever. In short, our first visit here was amazing, our second was the exact opposite. I think I might wait until spring to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't even get to orderAnnaDined on 9/21/2013My husband and I were eager to try The Mak, so we purchased a Dealfind voucher a while ago, and finally had an opportunity to use it . We made a reservation on a Saturday evening at 7pm. When we arrived, we were seated but then had to wait almost 10 minutes for our waters, and a few minutes more before our waitress came to our table. She then promptly informed us that our voucher could not be used that evening (due to high volume on Friday and Saturday). Coincidently, it was 7:30pm, and the restaurant was 1/2 empty...on a SATURDAY! When we asked her to double check if an exception could be made, she returned and once again refused our voucher so we left. Poor customer service is the kiss of death for a business already struggling.
- If you haven't...Go NowFineDineYEGDined on 9/17/2013After reading few of the reviews on various websites, and "hmmmed and hawwwed" on weather or not to check this place out. I am very glad that I did. Service aside (which was excellent) I started with the Caesar Salad. Not presented as your typical Caesar Salad and served with fried egg yolk, Roughess Speck (similar to bacon) and a cracker which I believe had been made out of dehydrated sardines. Very cool, very tasty, and Caesar salad, almost deconstructed. For dinner I enjoyed The Makk's take on their dish titled "Surf N Turf". The Sable-fish was cooked to perfection, along side a good portion of pork belly. If you have yet to go here, or had a bad experience in the past. Check it out now - this new chef is doing wonders for the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible menu very few choicesDiningDivaDined on 9/6/2013Menu online was not updated to the existing menu. I would have never gone there if it was. We stayed for a glass of wine and left.
- Slow and uninterestedReallyDined on 8/30/2013The service was slow even though our table was the only one in the restaurant. There were three younger people working in the restaurant during our meal service and they looked displeased with working there and that behavior was reflected in our dining experience. When it came to order the server didn't know much about the food and avoided question a about the fish that was on the menu. My food came out 10 minutes after the rest of the tables and the chicken was dry and flavorless. There was no apology for my meal coming out of the kitchen so late. It was strange that we had to wait over 45 min for our meals when there was only 5 of us dining.
- We went there as a party ofdgw031Dined on 8/27/2013We went there as a party of four on a Tuesday night. Our hostess/bartender/waitress greeted us almost immediately. The place was almost empty which made me wonder if some of the poor reviews were true. The food was good. Presentation was nice. It tasted great. Everyone had something different and we were all impressed. Dessert menu was lacking; only two items? Not sure what was up with that. I don't care if you were transitioning your summer menu. Budget wise, I thought it wasn't over priced. Although the meals look small, it is closer to proper portion control which most Canadians needs to consider.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and filling!BigspoonDined on 8/24/2013Tortellini appetizer seemed ridiculously small and scared us, but the duck tortellini was delicious! Beef and tuna tataki was still somewhat frozen, but tasty once allowed to thaw. Entrees (scallops and prawns / pork roulade) made up for the appys, as they were excellent and large portions. Wine list rather pricey by the glass, $18 for 9 ounces?!? Cocktails delicious though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.. Have had better.tablefor2Dined on 8/17/2013Get in, sit down, eat the food, pay up, leave. There was nothing really exciting about this place. Just another room with tables, serving overpriced food. I wouldn't recommend this place, as there are plenty of better options in the same area. I had made 2 simple requests, for a special night out, both had gone unnoticed. I will not be returning to this place again.
- Be wise and pass on this oneLibationsDined on 8/16/2013Very disappointing. The menu's food descriptions sound creative and a delicious but the actual food disappoints, is flavourless and lacklustre. Each person in our group spent around $50 but left dissatisfied and hungry. We decided to stop off and pick up fast food to fill our starving bellies. I never thought McDonald's chicken nuggets would taste this good but they definitely did in comparison.
- I love this restaurant becauseLocaldinerDined on 8/10/2013I love this restaurant because it is small and casual with a friendly ambience, and in my neighborhood. The menu is interesting and accommodates food preferences.Special Features:
- Worth a second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/9/2013Had a great dinner at the Makk this weekend. Tasty food, well presented. Portion sizes are small for the price. We all left full and satisfied. Definitely and must go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumTweenieDined on 8/4/2013We chose this restaurant because the one we wanted to go to was renovating. We were a little nervous as some reviews that we read on line were not that good. We decided to give it a try anyhow. We didn't order any appetizers and just stuck with entrees and one of us had the flourless chocolate cake. Two of us had the Arctic Char and one had the prawns and scallops. Everything was FANTASTIC! Really, the food was delicious, fresh and hot. I would recommend The Makk on 124 for a great dining experience! The inside of the restaurant is lovely and very comfortable.Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsFoodMom38VIPDined on 7/27/2013We decided to try The Makk after reading a number of reviews. I was a little hesitant given the mixed reviews. Overall, we found the food to be good, with some things better than others. My husband said he would definitely go back for the Artic Char, but I was less impressed with the Schnitzel. Food was a little slow to come out, but service was generally good. Given the strong competition for restaurants in the 124 St. area, I don't think this restaurant had enough strong points to draw me back again, over some of the other spots in the neighbourhood, but it was definitely worth a try.Special Features:
- UninspiredTravDined on 7/26/2013The food was rather uninspired and overpriced. I must say it was well plated though.
- Definitely DelectableDiningDivaDined on 7/20/2013The food and service were amazing! I'm glad I didn't pay attention to the negative reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2013I went to this restaurant with a group of girlfriends. Atmosphere is nice. Wine list is great. I had the Artic Char and it was good but I was expecting something more flavorful. Other girls had the risotto and Mac cheese which they said was great. The Beef two ways got an average rating. I would like to try it again to sway my opinion either way. Not sure I would recommend this place until I try it again.Special Features:
- The food was good, but I wouldn'tSusanDined on 7/10/2013The food was good, but I wouldn't say it was great. Had the Arctic Char with rice. The Arctic char was a little over cooked. The service was OK. The waitress was friendly enough, however the dinner service wasn't timed well. I don't think they made any money the night we were there. The restaurant was not very busy, however, our table neighbors didn't receive their meal for over 60 minutes. They ended up getting their whole meal free. We had to wait for our dessert for over 35 minutes and we ended up getting our drinks and dessert for free. The restaurant has potential to be really great, it just needs to fine tune the service/chef's timing.Special Features:
- THE MAKK on 124OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2013The waitress was very nice but the service was very slow.....place is loud and lacking in ambiance. My biggest crtiicism was the food- absoluttely not worth the money...the curry bowl was small, the noodles were undercooked and it was extremely small...I felt hungry and ripped off at the end of the meal. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert.
- Nice gluten free optionsEdmontonglutenfreegirlDined on 6/29/2013I really appreciated the menu was so nicely marked with gluten free (vegan and vegetarian). However our service was very slow. It was a mandatory gratuity and our sever certainly didn't have to work for a tip. Empty water. And almost done appies and entrees before drinks appeared. The flourless (gluten free) chocolate cake was to die for. The risotto was undercooked but the halibut was excellent. If you like big portions then prepare to order a starter as they are beautiful plates but not huge by any means. The entrees could use more veggies. They were all a bit heavy with no relief. Nice place though. It's pricey!! 6 of us spend $450. So about $150 per couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arctic Char was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2013They have a lot of great menu items listed so I had trouble deciding but went with the Arctic Char, which came with an amazing sauce. I couldn't finish everything and it tastes even good as left-overs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor quality food and small portionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2013My friend and I just had lunch at Makk on 124 on Fri. The menu looked good but I ordered a $13 salad that was VERY SMALL and seemed like they forgot the dressing. My friend had a hamburger which we were sure was a frozen pattie, nothing special and $15. Not great food for the price!!!
- Food wonderful, service fairOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2013On the positive, the entrees we had were amazing--halibut and lamb shank. Non-food aspects, not so good. We requested available table by window, were told can't be done due to big groups needing it, but within 10minutes of our being seated elsewhere, the table was given to another couple. My husband's water glass came to table with lipstick around half of the top ridge. Server seemed to rush us--asked if we wanted to see a dessert menu while my husband was still eating his entree. We won't be rushing back-- too bad as food was great but other issues took too much away from the experience.
- Special Occasion DiningRestaurantAdventurerDined on 6/20/2013This is my second visit. The Makk is my favorite restaurant I've tried this year. I love the food concept and find it shows in its flavour. Well the first time I took a friend for her birthday, this time I took my family for a celebration. Well most diners enjoyed their food, only one dish was a disappointment. Not because of the flavour or of the portion size to eat (which is always just right) but because that person felt the cost to protein portion was too high. The shrimp-scallop dish was delicious, and of high quality but it seemed more well suited to an appetizer. That diner wished they had ordered something else to get more for their money. Everything else was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outPLFANVIPDined on 6/17/2013It was a night of great food and great friends.... Nice atmosphere and the place really filled up for a Monday night!Special Features:
- Mixed reviewValann6Dined on 6/16/2013The food was fabulous but it took a long time to be served. Further, when dinner came, what had been promised on the menu was changed. The serving staff had not been advised of the change by the chef. We were offered another entrée but chose to stay with what we had since we were concerned as to how long we would then need to wait again. The wait staff was very good and the reason that we rayed the service as "good" rather than "excellent" was because of the two problems encountered with the kitchen.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchKrispyBitesVIPDined on 6/16/2013This place has one of the best brunches (excluding buffets) in the city. The presentation of the food is wonderful and there's a twist to typical fare like tiger prawn benedicts and belgian waffles with bacon bits. The kitchen can be a bit slow when it's busy, but the food is well worth the wait.Special Features:
- Nothing special, quite noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2013The wine selections are on the pricey side and the appetizers are small given the cost. The mains while decent sized did not impress especially the Arctic char which was swimming in a bowl of white rice with a tasteless coconut sauce. It took a while to get our plates cleared and it's difficult to talk over the noisy crowd. The beef appetizer was the highlight, but not sure if it's enough to warrant a second visit.
- Some great highs and a few lowsDowntownDynaDined on 6/15/2013Hubby and I tried The Makk for the first time, and overall had a really nice time. The room is nice, servers were friendly. We would have loved a 1/2 liter option for wine but the cocktail menu was great. The menu however is brief. Appetizer selection isn't bad, but the entrée options were a bit disappointing. Certain things just seemed a little off. Lamb shanks only offered at well done? Prawn/Scallop entrée served with dry barley pilaf? Risotto & pasta dishes both without any real protein? Don't get me wrong - we both had a wonderful meal with the risotto (adding prawns for me, chicken for him), but there was no 2nd option we would come running back for. We'll be back when a new menu is out, which I understand happens every so often.Special Features:
- Good Start, Needs A Bit of WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2013We live in the neighbourhood and want to support our local restaurants & truly want to see them all succeed. The Makk has potential...just needs a bit of work before we'd consider becoming 'regulars'. The food is good/beautifully presented...but vastly overpriced. The wine was good and they had a fairly large selection...but all of it quite pricey (it was shocking to see only a few bottles that were even under $50). The service was caring, friendly & chatty...but there were some loooong stretches where we didn't even see our server. We weren't in a hurry on this night, but the food did take a long time to come out. All in all, great potential and we'll definitely be back - but probably for lunch: their lunch menu looked fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!Ckc8828Dined on 6/10/2013Great food, great atmosphere, awesome service would definitely come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlfriends night outFoodieDined on 6/10/2013Loved our meal, service and location:). Totally recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2013My wife and I were very impressed by the high quality, taste, and execution of the food. Our tortellini trio appetizer was excellent, my beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection and the flavor was outstanding. The flour-less chocolate cake and sorbet for dessert were both delicious as well. We were impressed by the bright yet comfortable decor and ambiance as well. The staff are friendly, courteous, and do no give airs or attitude. A very comfortable place to go and have high end food served professionally but without attitude. I really want to try the scallops next time as they looked fantastic going by our table. I highly recommend a try!Special Features: