57 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.maharajaboston.com/
- Phone: 6175472757x
- Hours of Operation:
Open all day from 11:30AM to 10:00PM.
Lunch Buffet (and a la carte lunch) from 11:30AM till 2:30PM.
Dinner - 2:30PM-10:00PM.
Open all day from 12:00PM to 11:00PM.
Lunch Buffet (and a la carte lunch) from 12:00PM till 3:00PM.
Dinner - 3:00PM-11:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Maharaja
Located in a heart of Harvard Square, The Maharaja is the Top Indian restaurant in Boston/Cambridge. The Maharaja serves an authentic Indian cuisine in a stunning setting, with floor to ceiling windows overlooking bustling Harvard Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Maharaja reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Indian foodFoodloverDined on 6/4/2014You enter the beautiful restaurant and you are transported eith the smell of spices and the devoration. Loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAGICDined on 5/28/2014Excellent Indian food - had chicken korma this time. Always lots of Indian diners - assuring that they serve "authentic" food… Service prompt - as requested, before TEMPEST at ART.Special Features:
- The following 137 reviews are from the The Maharaja reviews archive.
- Always enjoyableEricDined on 5/18/2014We enjoy Maharaja a lot. It's our go to Indian restaurant in Cambridge. Haven't found any that are nearly as good. On Sunday we took our son & his girlfriend out to dinner. Celebrating graduation.... Once again a very enjoyable meal. Tried the Khatta Dhuandar Gosht for the first time. Yummm!Special Features:
- Quality and TastyTheComputerMedicVIPDined on 5/18/2014We have been here for brunch, lunch, dinner, and drinks/desert. So far each item has been between good and great (with the exception of the alcoholic Thai Tea which could have used more cardamom and tasted mostly like pineapple). They even understand how to do "spicy" as a true Indian dish. Of course it does require a conversation to convince them that you want it as hot as you say. (I only wish there was a shortcut for this conversation, I have it so often I have started asking for hot sauce and drinking it in front of the waitstaff before I order...kinda' works). Anyway, we so adore this place and feel the taste and quality is to be consistently high.Special Features:
- Lunch buffetfamilymanDined on 5/14/2014I would have given the lunch buffet 5 stars but we got there later in the afternoon (2:00pm) and not all the entrees were replenished. There was still plenty of good food and choices but the tandoori chicken had just scraps left. I have been to dinner several times prior and always wanted to try their lunch buffet and it is well worth the effort! Maharaja never disappoints, even if you have to wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014This restaurant is on the 2nd floor of the building and offers windows on two sides where one can view the architecture of Cambridge and the passersby below. The tables and chairs are intricately carved and add to the ambience. Service was excellent and the food was very good. A great ethnic venue in Cambridge!Special Features:
- Great ambience and locationScottVIPDined on 5/11/2014Maharaja occupies the space that was formerly the Bombay Club when I was a student here 15 years ago. Came here on Mother's Day with my wife and MIL. Menu is mostly North Indian standards. Excellent service, very nice ambience and great location, but you pay for it -- prices are generally $1-$3 higher than you will pay for the same entrees at Tanjore or Café of India, both within walking distance (and Café of India actually has a few South Indian entrees on the menu).Special Features:
- Indian like it should beTheComputerMedicVIPDined on 5/9/2014We have been to Maharaja for lunch, brunch and dinner and have found the food to be flavorful and well prepared. The portions are large and they can do spicy. Normally we have to argue with waitstaff that we are not from New England so our palettes can take spice. We promise not to send it back if it too hot, only if it lacks spice. At Maharaja they can bring the heat without loosing the flavor. The spice level does not overpower the pleasant tastes of the food but adds to it. Even at brunch where most restaurants go lightly on the flavor and spice, Maharaja keeps it genuine. Also, they have a good turn-over at their brunch buffet so the food does not get old and stale.Special Features:
- Right Place, Nice TimeOTwistDined on 4/30/2014Food and drinks very good. View over park next door, excellent.Special Features:
- Our first visit, but not our lastOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014We made a last-minute reservation at The Maharaja when we decided at the last minute to meet one of our kids after he finished working in Harvard Square. We were a few minutes early because we encountered no parking delays but our early arrival was cheerfully accommodated. The clientele was wonderfully diverse and very international. Lots of Indian and Pakistani groups of friends and family were eating there - a great sign. Our food was delicious, well prepared, spiced as requested (they will ramp it up or tone it down as you wish) and delivered in some lovely dishes that just added to the experience. The carved tables and wall décor just adds to the experience. Our waiter was great and our water glasses always filled. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The food took quite a whileOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/12/2014The food took quite a while to come out, but the server brought us a second round of crackers. Food was very good when it arrived. Nice view of the park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unrecognized GemGeorgeDVIPDined on 4/11/2014I was stunned to learn this restaurant has been in existence for four years. The food is well prepared, delicious, home style mediterranean, the prices very reasonable, the owner is onsite and accessible, the setting intimate. This past week was my first visit but I intend to frequent often. For those who scan the reviews, I dine out often both in the suburbs and Boston, This is a restaurant worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service on a SaturdaydorbarrDined on 3/29/2014The service on a Saturday evening was particularly outstanding, even though we were a group of three who all arrived at different times. Food at the Maharajah was excellent as always; there are a lot of great Indian restaurants in this area but the Maharajah is my favorite. There are lots of vegetarian and vegan options. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid FoodHoggerVIPDined on 2/22/2014The food is very good, and it's the best Indian buffet in the area. The waitstaff is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good buffetoccasionaldinerDined on 2/14/2014Good food. Specially the buffet. Spacious and decent ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on great locationpax5Dined on 1/18/2014We have dined at The Majaraja several times now and have enjoyed ourselves each time. The food is terrific, the service excellent, and the view of the Harvard Square area out of their second floor windows a delight. Using Open Table we were able to make a last minute reservation and get seated promptly. I only wish we lived closer so that we could go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good indian foodNettakDined on 1/18/2014We really liked this place. The food was not so spicy, but really great anyway. Nice view over the Winthrop square if you sit by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and spicy foodPennyVIPDined on 12/22/2013The dining room is really quite nice, and the food is tasty. We appreciate being asked the level of heat we want. It's a dependable and appealing restaurant for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Indian buffet in CambridgeHoggerVIPDined on 12/14/2013I love this place. The waitstaff is nice and the food is good. I haven't seen goat in the buffet line for several weeks, and that's a bummer. But everything else is good. The chicken tikka masala is a bit dry sometimes, but other than that, there are no complaints.Special Features:
- I'm a huge sucker for naanCathDined on 12/7/2013I'm a huge sucker for naan and I didn't think it was all that great here. Kinda bland and I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 types we ordered. Other than that , the rest of the food was very good . The chicken in the tikki masala was so tender and the sauce was amazing. It is in a cute location overlooking Harvard square. Lots of space for big groups. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good placeHoggerVIPDined on 12/7/2013This restaurant is the best Indian food in the Cambridge area. The selection for their buffets are good. The only thing they need to do is clearly post the prices for their weekday and weekend buffets.Special Features:
- Hot and hotterPannieDined on 12/6/2013Our entrees were not at the "heat" level we'd hoped. The hot cauliflower and potato dish was too hot and the lamb saag was mild when it was to be very hot.Special Features:
- We were hoping to get a tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/15/2013We were hoping to get a taste of real north Indian food when this place opened. Despite of a nice ambiance, the food doesn't taste authentic. We got paneer tikka for appetizers, which was rubbery (overcooked). The Wajid Ali chicken is a nice touch but the chicken could have been tender. Malai kofta was good. The naans were average.Special Features:
- Good balanceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2013I try to eat light, partly for reasons of health, and partly because I prefer not to have a heavy feeling in my stomach after a meal. I often find that the luncheon buffets at Indian restaurants are too heavy for my taste, with a lot of cream- or ghee-based dishes. At Maharaja, there seemed to me to be a much better balance of light, vegetarian dishes with the the ones based on heavier sauces. I had second helpings and left feeling comfortable and ready to get back to work, not a nap.Special Features:
- Great Indian!GourmandineVIPDined on 10/25/2013We love Indian food and have enjoyed it all over the US. We ordered several of our "benchmark" dishes at the Maharajah: Butter Chicken, Lamb Saag, Vegetable Korma, Garlic Naan, and Onion Kulcha. Every dish was outstanding (even better than our NYC go-to places). Portions were generous and the pappadum and condiments were delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. Since the restaurant is on the second floor, windows provide a lovely view of Cambridge street life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gloomy and disappointinggreatExpectationsDined on 10/24/2013The, somewhat palatial, place was rather gloomy, always a delight when you are trying to read a menu. The food was fair at best. Everything was overcooked and generally failed to meet expectations. The service was very good though.
- Best Indian food ever!LuvtoeatDined on 10/19/2013My family enjoyed an incredible dinner on Saturday night. The service was impeccable. The decor transport diners to India. On my short list of repeat restaurants. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good new dining in CambridgePennyVIPDined on 10/5/2013We were happy to find The Maharaja through Open Table. We're in Cambridge fairly regularly but do not often eat near Harvard. The food was quite good, as was the service. I appreciated that they asked about the level of heat (spice) we wanted. We will return.Special Features:
- Excellent menu with many uniqueReviewerVIPDined on 10/2/2013Excellent menu with many unique dishes. Nice second floor location affrords views onto vibrant neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchHoggerVIPDined on 9/21/2013Restaurants like Maharaja should find a way to let customers refill their own soda. For a buffet lunch, this makes sense to prevent overloading the staff. During my last visit, I had to wait 15 minutes for my soda to be refilled. Other than that the food and ambience were good.Special Features:
- Really good Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/19/2013Really good food, attentive service. The wine list is pretty mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another solid mealHoggerVIPDined on 9/18/2013If you want to go to a place where you know the food will be good, then go to Maharaja. Everything is good, and the restaurant is in a great location.Special Features:
- Service ExcellenceGeorgeDVIPDined on 9/17/2013The service is excellent, the food well prepared, the atmosphere friendly, the decor warm and culturally relevant. I have had multiple lunches and dinners, the quality, preparation and portions are consistent.Special Features:
- Good BuffetthureinDined on 9/14/2013The lunch buffet is very affordable. There were a large selections of food. I really like their broccoli curry and the Tandoori chicken. Lassi came in big glasses. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but a little shadyHoggerVIPDined on 9/14/2013I love this place. But sadly, one of the waiters did something super shady. The bill came out to something like $27.32. I gave $50 and asked for change, and when he gave the change to me, there was only $22. Waiters shouldn't be rounding up food bills.Special Features:
- My weekly fixHoggerVIPDined on 9/7/2013I go to Maharaja about once a week with my friend. She loves goat which they stopped serving on Saturdays, but then this Saturday they had it again. Yes, it's a little more expensive than other Indian buffets around Cambridge, but it's clearly the best.Special Features:
- Nice upscale IndianMJ88VIPDined on 9/5/2013Standard Indian dishes all quite good, if not outstanding. A bit noisy, but overall nice ambience compared to most Indian restaurants. Excellent, attentive, friendly service. Rather limited wine list (if you care about wine with Indian food).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, regal atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2013I never had Indian food before and decided to go out on a limb and came across this restaurant online. My boyfriend and I loved it. I had The Tandoori Wings and the Shrimp Tandoori Masala. I got Naan by mistake but I wasn't complaining it was really good, went great with my shrimp sauce. Both were great and portions were sizable. My boyfriend loved the Chicken Curry. We sat by the window at night overlooking Harvard Square (people watching of course) and everything about the decor from the engraved chairs to the detailed glass tables was beautiful. Our server was timely and courteous constantly checking in and making sure we were all set. I would definitely go back, it's a great place to try something new that I now really like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Indian FoodHoggerVIPDined on 8/24/2013This place has the best Indian buffet in Harvard Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended Indian foodAnnkalraDined on 8/17/2013Hi we were a group if seven and I blindly chose this restaurant because I knew it willbe spacious! I had a stroller and a napping baby so needed that extra room to fit in a stroller. This was perfect and the restaurant gave us a perfect table overlooking the park. Everybody in our group loved the buffet! The food was tasty and being an Indian when I say that I really mean it. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.