1301 W Leigh st
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themagpierva.com/
- Phone: 8042690023
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm: Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Owen Lane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Magpie
The Magpie is a locally owned Gastropub located in Richmond Virginia"s Historic Carver neighborhood. We are located behind the VCU Siegel Center and just minutes away from the Bowtie cinemas, the new Redskins training camp, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and other great Richmond attractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Magpie - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
The Magpie reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (38)romantic (33)great for brunch (23)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (10)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A Richmond gem that's easy to loveJaimeDined on 9/13/2014The Magpie is another Richmond gem that's easy to love as long as you set your expectations. Somebody that is used to larger dining facilities may have a negative bias, but my wife and I have fallen in love with Richmond's assortment of unique intimate 10-table or less restaurants. Magpie makes up in quality food, knowledgable and friendly staff, and a talented kitchen kitchen staff. The drinks are unique and recognizable, the tap menu has a good range, and the wine list was complex without being frustratingly large. The food though, the food was perfect. Very unique gastropub with wonderful flavor, perfect preparation and pleasing presentation. A must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Everything we ordered was exquisite. Menu has changed already since going there, but this is one of the few restaurants where I can say every dish exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent, eclectic, a little kinkyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Small, intimate restaurant quite a bit off the beaten path - food excellent, staff friendly and informal, but efficient. A table of chefs from other restaurants were eating at the table next to us, and had nothing but good things to say.Special Features:
- Wonderful!LisaRDined on 8/30/2014We have been hearing about this place from several foodie friends, but it took the recent article in Departures magazine to finally get us to go. Wow! There is nothing about this place that will disappoint. Have the chocolate foie gras milkshake and French fries for dessert---sounds crazy, right? Fantastic! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!kritikVIPDined on 8/28/2014The menu had lots of interesting options - all that we tried on our visit tasted great! Looking forward to going back and trying the ones we didn't get to this time around. The cocktail menu was also thoughtful and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing!EjmamaDined on 8/23/2014So delicious! The food was perfectly cooked and seasoned, the vibe was cool, and the staff very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nataly3108VIPDined on 8/22/2014Really delicious! Everything:) meat, cocktailes, deserts... Try as many things as possible, you will like all :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clear Richmond NotableMatthewBDaveyDined on 8/19/2014As a Richmond native, I have dined at many local restaurants. The experience me and my date had at Magpie was beyond suburb. Excellent cocktails and excellently delicious food. Probably the best food I've ever had at a restaurant. Will definitely be back and tell my friends about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, delicious foodApefurDined on 8/15/2014First, the service was excellent. Our waitress was knowledgeable, shared useful recommendations and was attentive without hovering. The food was absolutely delicious. We really enjoyed the torchon, the sausages and the tamale. Excellent.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great service and very helpful recommendations by our server. It is definitely a "foodie" place and the menu is extremely adventurous, which may not be for some people, but we enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Satisfied FoodieRVAfoodieDined on 8/14/2014I took a recent date to The Magpie and was pleased that the restaurant holds up to its growing reputation. The Magpie delivers eclectic charm without the protectionsnes. On our way in the restaurant, an exiting female customers advised loudly to get the tomatoes. I never turn down a crazy stranger's food recommendation, since they come so rarely; so we started with that as an appetizer. These turned out to be especially delicious, being paired with a mozzarella gelato which was super yummy. I ordered the duck as an entree which was served on a small, surprisingly complimentary, bed of fried rice. With perfectly made eggs and no soy sauce taste, the southern style fry enhanced flavorings of the duck. My date got a salad. Go to The Magpie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tom H.tmhdgpthDined on 8/14/2014Took my wife there for our 38th anniversary - the place was rocking! While we were on time for our reservation, we had to sit at the bar for a good 20-25 minutes - they comped a round of drinks to compensate. Dinner was outstanding: oyster on the half with watermelon vinagrette, house made sausage with blueberry compote and a very soft blue cheese, Seared scallops, perfectly medium hanger steak - all wonderful. Haven't been there in a year and a half, but we won't wait that long again! Killer meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibe Service - Great foodAmyBDined on 8/14/2014Our server was fantastic, Erica, I think? Magpie has a good wine list and a fantastic cocktail menu. We tried many dishes and all were very pleasing with some nice surprises. The foie milkshake with fries is not to be missed for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickVIPDined on 8/8/2014Always an excellent and interesting, food-wise, experience. Introduced my sister and brother in law to The Magpie and they loved itSpecial Features:
- Amazing!tumblrDined on 8/4/2014Everything was perfect -- I took a large group or coworkers and everyone was impressed. The service and food were impeccable!Special Features:
- Diamond in the roughRonmonDined on 8/2/2014Magpie has some of the most interesting food in Richmond. The beef cheeks appetizer was amazing but was outshined by the foie gras chocolate milkshake with French fries. Great service as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Sooooooo good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014My husband and I went to The Magpie for the first time last night, and it was INCREDIBLE! The small and medium plates were so intriguing, we decided to forgo a main course and just share small plates. Every single dish was unique and wonderful. We especially loved the beef cheeks, the sweetbreads, the asparagus, the manchego aranicini, the crispy pig head, well, we especially loved it all. The desserts were great, too. The chocolate tart was wonderful, and just the right size. For those of you who are daring, my husband would recommend the chocolate foie gras milkshake. Yes, you read that correctly. I liked the fries! :-) Oh, and they make this crazy good mixed drink called a Back in Black. Get thee to The Magpie! Awesome staff, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time!RVArissaDined on 7/23/2014The waitress was awesome. She was super attentive, our wine and water glasses never got dry! The food was delicious and I loved trying new things!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!HHDivaDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I went there for dinner last week to celebrate his birthday and we will definitely be back. I had the Cherry Laquered Duck Breast and he had the Smoked Hanger Steak. Both dishes were perfectly prepared and so flavorful - the rosemary brittle served with the duck was a surprise treat! It is a small place with a very intimate feeling - would definitely recommend getting reservations. Wait staff was very helpful and knowledgeable - they recommended a smooth Kentucky Bourbon aged in port wine barrels that my husband absolutely loved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Magpie!Luv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/13/2014Interesting menu. Delicious food. Spectacular brunch. Outstanding service. Definitely want more Magpie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchliquidsunDined on 7/6/2014The ambiance, the service, and the food and presentation was outstanding. Everything had a little unique twist to it--in a good way. The biscuit gravy had a little kick to it. The bread pudding was to die for and had an amazing fig spread that came with. The sausage was full of flavor and herbs. The service was prompt and friendly despite us standing out from the crowd a bit by only have a few tattoos between the four of us. Would definitely come back and recommend to anyone passing by Richmond.Special Features:
- The MagpieETBassDined on 7/6/2014We used a Groupon deal to try this restaurant out for the first time. We went to the Sunday brunch and the food was outstanding. We highly recommend this restaurant and we will be back--Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2014A great Brunch experience! The traditional Brunch staples but with a definite imaginative twist, I would highly recommend Magpie to anyone looking for a new, creative, affordable Brunch location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014It such a great place, and the owners are awesome!Special Features:
- Tasty Lukewarm FoodHungryAtRVADined on 6/13/2014The food was tasty and all BUT it was very slow to come out and when it finally did come out it was warmed just past room temperature. We would have let the server know this but he never checked back with us after dropping off the entrees. By the time he came back everyone's plate was empty. Lastly, we found the portion sizes to be lacking. Their idea of Large Plate literally means "it comes on a large plate". On our table of 4 we ordered 4 medium plate dishes and 4 large plate dishes and I don't think any of the 4 of us was full when we left (we were pretty hungry when we got there). My duck breast, which was tasty but very tough, was nothing but a duck breast with some slivers of mushrooms and sauce. They need to add some veggies.Special Features:
- My new favorite Richmond restaurantfoodie911Dined on 6/7/2014Everything here was wonderful. The service, the cocktails, the food … I love asparagus anyway, but I ordered the asparagus appetizer and it made me love asparagus even more. I had the rabbit as a main course - I can't remember the last time I had rabbit. It was wonderful. My husband had the duck - I liked it even better than the rabbit. Both dishes are things I would not normally order but Magpie did such an outstanding job. I can't wait to go back and try other things on the menu. Only complaint is that it is so small, I am worried it will become so popular it will be hard to get in on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014it is a different experience. food is great and so is the barSpecial Features:
- Peaks and ValleysSouthsiderDined on 6/5/2014A meal doesn't have to be a home run to satisfy and warrant a return visit when many aspects of the dining experience are right. So we will return to The Magpie from time to time because generally speaking, the dishes are imaginative and well executed. But some inconsistencies left us feeling that some quality control was lacking. Cocktails, including house specialties, were served room temperature -- not a good start. Portions of a duck entree were almost raw, making them inedible. But other dishes were outstanding, such as the homemade pork sausage starter with a manchego cheese sprinkle. The server, pleasant enough, was distracted and not attentive enough when she should have been. Still, the peaks topped the valleys and merit a revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedconglomermintyDined on 6/3/2014This was sort of a special treat night for a small group of friends and while the service could have been faster and more attentive, we were not disappointed. We shared Beef Cheeks with verde and avocado, Pork and Duck Sausage serves with blue cheese, and Manchego Arancini, and each of us had a different favorite. We each got a separate dessert, and my Masa Cake was one of the best desserts I ever had. Their cocktail list was very interesting, and I would love to come back and explore it another night.Special Features:
- Richmond favoriteLodogDined on 5/30/2014I've been to magpie a bunch of times and it never disappoints. The change up the menu regularly so the experience never gets stale. They also do a great job creating interesting flavor profiles with foods you wouldn't think go together traditionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovegoodfoodDined on 5/30/2014Great service, great environment, great food and drink. Our first time at Magpie and we loved it. The intimacy of a smaller restaurant is a big plus. The bar also would be a perfect place to eat. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!RichmondFoodieVIPDined on 5/19/2014Love their innovative combinations! Especially love that as a very small restaurant, they are on Open Table - otherwise, I probably wouldn't go as there really isn't a place to wait if the small bar is full.Special Features:
- The following 110 reviews are from the The Magpie reviews archive.
- A great gem in Richmond!FlamboerDined on 5/19/2014I've come to the Magpie a couple of times now, mostly for special occasions due to the price point. They specialize in small, medium, and large plates of locally sourced food in creative manners. I've always enjoyed their take on the local mixed greens, sausage of the day, and their house burger. The drink selection, whether cocktail or beer, is always excellent with something for any palate. I recommend going in with an open mind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014On recommendation for her brother, we hit this place after the Richmond Ballet. Marvelous food, fun atmosphere, and we're coming backSpecial Features:
- From start to finish- the best mealluvtodineDined on 5/17/2014Everything we had was delicious. I love that Magpie takes ingredients that are uncommon to the Richmond dining scene and makes them approachable. We are never disappointed. And not to be forgotten, the servers are pleasant, funny and appropriately attentive. Magpie will remain a consistent dining spot for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- churchhillmamachurchhilllmamaDined on 5/16/2014We had early reservation on Friday so things were calm, quiet but gradually increased level of activity...service was relaxed...food was outstanding...especially liked the reasonably sized portions!!Special Features:
- New to mekglromerDined on 5/15/2014I had not even heard of The Magpie prior to this visit. I viewed the Groupon online and checked out the website and the menu and it looked like a good place. After going there, I was exceptionally pleased with all aspects of the restaurant. The food and service were of the highest quality. The small place was eclectically appointed and even though it was very busy, the noise level was moderate. I would definitely return, even without a special coupon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Wonderfully prepared meals. Great service and quiet ambience. Highly recommend to business travelers and localsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magpie'schevy92Dined on 5/14/2014The food here is out is outside the norm which is very refreshing. The surprising part is that the chef knows how to cook it. Everything we had was excellent and for me to say that takes a lot. I've been twice and each time was outstanding! It's a little pricey but well worth every penny. If they maintain there standards I will be a repeat customer! The only complaint I have is it took some time for the food to come out. However, when it did come it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulsndkslDined on 5/11/2014Love the Magpie. Dinner is great there and brunch was a delight. I only wish they had more to offer on the brunch menu than including eggs in every selection. WE will definitely be back!Special Features: