1301 W Leigh st
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themagpierva.com/
- Phone: (804) 269-0023
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm: Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Owen Lane
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Magpie
The Magpie is a locally owned Gastropub located in Richmond Virginia"s Historic Carver neighborhood. We are located behind the VCU Siegel Center and just minutes away from the Bowtie cinemas, the new Redskins training camp, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and other great Richmond attractions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Magpie - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
The Magpie reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (61)special occasion (39)romantic (35)hot spot (21)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Every Bite Is Culinary GoldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Dinner started with an amuse-bouche consisting of farro prepared in a savory sauce topped with a half grape and set the evening up for exploration of an inventive culinary vision. The cocktail selections were as creative as the entrees. I had the Magpie Martini, the twist being a garnish of fresh dill pickle slices that lent the drink a surprisingly complimentary sweetness and tang undercurrent that perfectly set off the bite of the gin. My wife had the Belle Isle Moonshine a refreshing and slightly sweet cocktail featuring a kick of jalapeno that warms the throat in tandem with the local liquor that gives the drink the other kind of kick you might expect. For starters we had the Soup du Jour (pumpkin lobster bisque) which was just sweet enough to compliment the savory flavor of the dish, crispy brussel sprouts cooked to perfection--pleasantly crispy without being overdone and well seasoned, and the real treat, the fried gnocchi, which had the best texture and brought to life with the mostarda sauce, pumpkin puree, and spicy candied pecans. The pheasant breast was hearty without even a hint of gamey, and flavor undertones of sage brought the dish to its roots even as it was elevated with savory oats, pearl onions, gala apples, and molasses gravy. The Fish du Jour was rockfish, a mild fish that was transformed with subtle but bold seasoning that linked the flavor of the fish to orange curry, wild mushrooms, and thai chili. The restaurant is small, lending it a cozy atmosphere, and the decor is more retro-hip than romantic, overall resulting in an atmosphere appropriate for a nice date that isn't pretentious. Patrons dressed from nicely casual to semi-formal, but our server was dressed casually (wore jeans). Service was attentive, helpful, but not over-the-top. For the high quality of the food, the restaurant is reasonably priced. 3 small/medium plates, 2 large plates, 2 cocktails = just over $100 before tip. Your taste-buds will thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We have dined here 3 times and each time the experiences have been wonderful! The most enjoyable to us is that the menu NEVER disappoints! The chef puts together fantastic and out of the box proteins and pairs them with seasonal veggies to create fun inventive dishes that are delicious! Great place to take anyone that appreciates food and service! Thanks Sidney!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAAAADined on 11/18/2014Went with two girlfriends and we had an awesome dinner! Went on a Tuesday evening and it was not crowded, which was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/16/2014Went to Magpie for brunch with my husband and an out-of-town friend and all of us agreed it was one of the best brunches we've had. The flavors they put together are really unique and taste unlike anything I've had before. We've tried hundreds of restaurants in Richmond over the years and Magpie is in our top 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding!BOC1VIPDined on 11/13/2014Yet again, another wonderful dinner prepared by Chef Owen Lane and the crew at Magpie!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most ExcellentWineLoverDined on 11/2/2014I've always had a wonderful experience, both dining and sociable, with each visit to Magpie. The staff, front of house and the dudes behind the curtain, are extremely pleasant and knowledgeable. Great spot for an afternoon cocktail and delightful meal, anytime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming backRandomdinerDined on 10/26/2014You wouldn't think much if you were prone to judging a book, or in this case restaurant by it's cover/exterior... Once within however, the quirky ambiance and coziness take over. Combined with a mouth watering menu, that delivered 100% on both flavor and presentation, The Magpie is most definitely on my short list of places to frequent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on.. every timefandinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Never disappoints. This place has a creative menu and fabulous food. The service is amazing.Special Features:
- Tasty Restaurant Week choiceTammyDined on 10/22/2014It's first time on Restaurant Week and Magpie didn't disappoint. Starter was butternut squash bisque which was perfectly creamy with great flavor. Be careful of the red pepper sliver though! Scallops with cauliflower puree and savory grain was my main, the puree was the best part. For dessert the chocolate panna cotta with banana foster and peanut butter cookie was extravagant. I could have done without the peanut butter cookie. The panna cotta was creamy and perfect alone with just a bite of the banana with it. Reservations are strongly recommended at this consistently busy spot. Even the bar seats stay full.Special Features:
- Return to MagpieRVAdinersDined on 10/21/2014We used ZrVA Restaurant Week as an excuse to return to our recently discovered gem, The Magpie. The Restaurant Week menu offered a variety of options from starters to dessert. Each item that we chose offered unique flavors in a creative presentation. The server was attentive, friendly, and helpful. RVA small-space restaurants are our favorite, and The Magpie comfortably ranks as one of the best. Best of all, the menu offers many intriguing selections that will require us to return and continue sampling.Special Features:
- DinnerLuvfoodDined on 10/21/2014First time at Magpie. It was great! My husband and I really enjoyed it. We already have reservations for Sunday Brunch. Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Foodrvalaural87Dined on 10/20/2014I went here during the restaurant week this fall and had an great experience. Our table was right by the front window and we had a great view outside and of the entire restaurant. Overall, the space is small but very cozy. Its definitely a neighborhood restaurant with a friendly feel. As for the food - WOW! I started with the apple and butternut squash bisque, followed by the seared scallops and finished with chocolate panna cotta. Everything was delicious! I will definitely be going back soon and will probably be getting some gift certificates for my friends & family.Special Features:
- Great night outRVAdinerDined on 10/20/2014We went for restaurant week and had a great time. The food was very creative and flavorful, keep up the good work. The waitstaff was on point and very attentive even with the restaurant being full. I enjoyed the apple butternut bisque, pulled rabbit entree, and cornbread dessert with maple bacon ice cream. The drink menu was very creative as well and I enjoyed an in-fashion. I will be back to enjoy their new seasonal menu and hopefully a mountain mama cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceLTravDined on 10/20/2014I dined here last night with a friend for Richmond Restaraunt Week and the food was absolutely amazing. The service was excellent as well. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rvafoodieDined on 10/20/2014We went for restaurant week. Portions VERY small, quite tasty but certainly not dinner. I asked a friend who had been there before for dinner and he agreed the portions were very small. Service was very slow, we felt forgotten in a 30 seat restaurant.Special Features:
- A great restaurant experienceHarvestManDined on 10/17/2014The Magpie is small, seating perhaps 20-25 people if all tables were full. The restaurant has a small staff out front but they made us feel very welcome and were quite attentive. The food was wonderful and eclectic: where else in Richmond can you get rabbit, venison, and foraged Hen of the Woods mushrooms? Portions were just exactly right and the presentation invited a leisurely approach, carefully savoring each ingredient (we had to ask about the mushrooms, which were meaty and flavorful). It was no chore to handle dessert, in my case a melding of chocalate manicotti, peanut butter cookies and bananas Foster. If you love fine food from local sources, beautifully prepared and presented The Magpie is your place. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Foodies will love itKimberDined on 10/16/2014Magpie is a great foodie restaurant. There is a lot of game large plates; so if your palate isn't of the adventurous type, you might want to rethink this place. I am not; however I still found enough to eat on the menu's smaller plates. The cornbread desert with maple and bacon ice cream is divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdventurousGrumpDined on 10/10/2014The menu here is adventurous. It features game and unusual combinations. However everything works well. The chef is both talented and skilled. He or she manages to elevate such homely items as beef tongue to a level of excellence worthy of fine French country cuisine. Cockles are rare on American menus, but we would recommend them here. All in all, a fine neighborhood place with laid-back, almost grungy ambience and seating for only about 25 or so. Not a destination spot, but great if you live near.Special Features:
- Creative and ComfortingpeggymceVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food at Magpie is among the best in a city filled with fantastic finds. The creativity of the menu is incomparable. At the same time, the choices are comforting. There are very few restaurants (if any) that serve Beef Tongue -- but the beef tongue bolognese is an experience not to be missed. Flavorful, rich, and comforting all at the same time -- one of the most delicious and creative dishes I've ever enjoyed -- anywhere! The combination of the rich tongue with the fresh, delicious tomatoes made with a homemade pasta, yum. Of course, the fried sweetbreads are another one of those creative and comforting combinations. They are recognizable (because fried) but the creamy and tender meat of the inside was to die for! Truly amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quirky spot, interesting menuCueg1rlDined on 10/10/2014Having read the reviews I decided it would be great to try. The neighborhood feels a little sketchy, but parking was easy and close. The ambience is charming. The restaurant is small and intimate, but we didn't feel crushed. I was disappointed that the duck wasn't on the menu. I chose the rabbit and was very pleased. The meat was moist and flavorful and the squash was a great counterpoint. My husband had the sirloin and thoroughly enjoyed it;as tender as other as others had reported in their reviews. The people in the table next to us did not like their choice of dessert. The waitress immediately offered something else. Their loved the replacement. We loved ours. The wine list is extensive explore it. All in all a great dinner,Special Features:
- Perfect mealndavid81Dined on 10/4/2014My favorite restaurant in Richmond was Millie's, until I found The Magpie. Every course was perfection. Beautiful, delicious, and unique. Make time to discover what this chef has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit to Magpie: success!pozzumgeeDined on 10/3/2014I took my wife here for our 2nd wedding anniversary. The food was outstanding. I had smoked sirloin, wife had braised rabbit. Waitress and bartender were very friendly, competent and responsive. They had a great beer selection, and it looked like they had an extensive wine/spirits menu as well. While I say that the food was outstanding (and I mean it), diners who are looking for a gigantic meal will be disappointed. The portion sizes were just right; normally we don't have "enough room" for dessert, but we both ordered desserts that night. Overall it was a very special evening made better by the terrific staff, atmosphere and food of Magpie. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightRickVIPDined on 9/26/2014Although we had 7PM reservations, our table wasn't ready. The server handed the 4 of us drink menus but oddly never returned for an order. Although there were a pair of unoccupied two tops sitting next to each other, the server said that he could not move them together.So we waited for 20+ minutes to be seated.Finally a couple vacated a two top next to one of the unoccupied two tops, and the server moved those together for us.I ordered rabbit based on the server's recommendation.While excellent it could have been warmer, as could my wife's sausage.There seemed to be an untoward delay between ordering and being served. This seemed to be an off night when we introduced some friends to The Magpie for the first time. Don't know their thoughts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!DiningEverywhereDined on 9/23/2014Service was attentive and friendly! Our table was ready when we arrived. Drink menu was inventive. We shared several stunning small plates (the in-house sausage was a standout) and one entree. I'd definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Richmond gem that's easy to loveJaimeDined on 9/13/2014The Magpie is another Richmond gem that's easy to love as long as you set your expectations. Somebody that is used to larger dining facilities may have a negative bias, but my wife and I have fallen in love with Richmond's assortment of unique intimate 10-table or less restaurants. Magpie makes up in quality food, knowledgable and friendly staff, and a talented kitchen kitchen staff. The drinks are unique and recognizable, the tap menu has a good range, and the wine list was complex without being frustratingly large. The food though, the food was perfect. Very unique gastropub with wonderful flavor, perfect preparation and pleasing presentation. A must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Everything we ordered was exquisite. Menu has changed already since going there, but this is one of the few restaurants where I can say every dish exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent, eclectic, a little kinkyWiltNBarbaraDined on 9/11/2014Small, intimate restaurant quite a bit off the beaten path - food excellent, staff friendly and informal, but efficient. A table of chefs from other restaurants were eating at the table next to us, and had nothing but good things to say.Special Features:
- Wonderful!LisaRDined on 8/30/2014We have been hearing about this place from several foodie friends, but it took the recent article in Departures magazine to finally get us to go. Wow! There is nothing about this place that will disappoint. Have the chocolate foie gras milkshake and French fries for dessert---sounds crazy, right? Fantastic! We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!kritikVIPDined on 8/28/2014The menu had lots of interesting options - all that we tried on our visit tasted great! Looking forward to going back and trying the ones we didn't get to this time around. The cocktail menu was also thoughtful and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing!EjmamaDined on 8/23/2014So delicious! The food was perfectly cooked and seasoned, the vibe was cool, and the staff very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nataly3108VIPDined on 8/22/2014Really delicious! Everything:) meat, cocktailes, deserts... Try as many things as possible, you will like all :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clear Richmond NotableMatthewBDaveyDined on 8/19/2014As a Richmond native, I have dined at many local restaurants. The experience me and my date had at Magpie was beyond suburb. Excellent cocktails and excellently delicious food. Probably the best food I've ever had at a restaurant. Will definitely be back and tell my friends about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, delicious foodApefurDined on 8/15/2014First, the service was excellent. Our waitress was knowledgeable, shared useful recommendations and was attentive without hovering. The food was absolutely delicious. We really enjoyed the torchon, the sausages and the tamale. Excellent.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Great service and very helpful recommendations by our server. It is definitely a "foodie" place and the menu is extremely adventurous, which may not be for some people, but we enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Satisfied FoodieRVAfoodieDined on 8/14/2014I took a recent date to The Magpie and was pleased that the restaurant holds up to its growing reputation. The Magpie delivers eclectic charm without the protectionsnes. On our way in the restaurant, an exiting female customers advised loudly to get the tomatoes. I never turn down a crazy stranger's food recommendation, since they come so rarely; so we started with that as an appetizer. These turned out to be especially delicious, being paired with a mozzarella gelato which was super yummy. I ordered the duck as an entree which was served on a small, surprisingly complimentary, bed of fried rice. With perfectly made eggs and no soy sauce taste, the southern style fry enhanced flavorings of the duck. My date got a salad. Go to The Magpie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tom H.tmhdgpthDined on 8/14/2014Took my wife there for our 38th anniversary - the place was rocking! While we were on time for our reservation, we had to sit at the bar for a good 20-25 minutes - they comped a round of drinks to compensate. Dinner was outstanding: oyster on the half with watermelon vinagrette, house made sausage with blueberry compote and a very soft blue cheese, Seared scallops, perfectly medium hanger steak - all wonderful. Haven't been there in a year and a half, but we won't wait that long again! Killer meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredibe Service - Great foodAmyBDined on 8/14/2014Our server was fantastic, Erica, I think? Magpie has a good wine list and a fantastic cocktail menu. We tried many dishes and all were very pleasing with some nice surprises. The foie milkshake with fries is not to be missed for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickVIPDined on 8/8/2014Always an excellent and interesting, food-wise, experience. Introduced my sister and brother in law to The Magpie and they loved itSpecial Features:
- crazy great fooddaleydaleVIPDined on 8/6/2014Title tells it all. This a destination restaurant well worth seeking out. Creativity of menu far exceeds any other. Small place-huge satisfaction. Order anything. The food here is over the top superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!tumblrDined on 8/4/2014Everything was perfect -- I took a large group or coworkers and everyone was impressed. The service and food were impeccable!Special Features:
- The following 126 reviews are from the The Magpie reviews archive.