479 King St
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themacintoshcharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 789-4299
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeremiah Bacon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Macintosh
The Macintosh opened in September 2011 in downtown Charleston, SC. Located downstairs from its sister lounge, the Cocktail Club, and bearing the one-time name of the alley that runs alongside the building, the Macintosh explores the breadth of Lowcountry flavors in a comfortable setting. Executive Chef and partner Jeremiah Bacon showcases his talent for creating upscale, American cooking using the seasonal bounty provided by his local farmers and fishermen throughout The Macintosh's menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Macintosh - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Macintosh reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (176)hot spot (102)special occasion (83)neighborhood gem (80)vibrant bar scene (80)good for groups (59)romantic (44)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (28)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (12)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- AmazingPappyDined on 11/23/2014My husband and I celebrated our 32nd Anniversary here with a brunch. The food and service was exceptional! As a starter, we had the Fig and Hazelnut cake, which is more of a dessert but we didn't want to pass it up. Glad we didn't as it was absolutely delicious. For an entrée, I had the Mac Attack. Who knew bone marrow pudding and pork belly could be so divine! My husband had the Garbage Plate, which was equally outstanding. We were incredibly stuffed and intended to forego dessert, however when we told our waitress that it was our anniversary we were presented with a complimentary Bread Pudding with toffee/praline pieces and chocolate ice cream.........Oh Dear Lord, incredible, we made room for it!!!! Will definitely return to this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/19/2014Be prepared for a limited (but delicious) menu. Great for foodies not afraid to experiment with new tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/15/2014They rushed our service and their specialty dish, osso buco was disappointing
- Exactly what we were looking forgudluckgrlDined on 11/10/2014After scouring reviews for options in Charleston, I decided to book The Macintosh, sight unseen based solely on the patron reviews and the restaurant's website. The Macintosh did not disappoint. Cocktails, appetizers, main dish and dessert were had and at no point in the meal was service rushed. Arrived at 6 on a Monday and it was quiet...by 7pm the rush was on and still the atmosphere wasn't overwhelming. The food was spot on; waiter was pleasant. In this up and coming area of town, this place is a must try. Would highly recommend if you are into finding good food and are willing to pay for the overall experience. Would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really goodHarrisonVIPDined on 11/9/2014I got the Mac Attack. Delicious. My friend got the Garbage Plate. Also delicious. The room was a little dark and very noisy (the wooden walls look great but the acoustics are terrible). Good service; my friend's bottomless mimosa hit bottom only once. Overall, a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still above the crowdClinresgaVIPDined on 11/8/2014In a city that fights way above its weight class when it comes to restaurants, the Macintosh remains as relevant and as satisfying as it was when it first opened. From the lamb belly app, to the incredible bone marrow bread pudding, the pork osso bucco, all the way to the pear tart dessert, not a single misstep. Service was warm, helpful, and knowledgeable. Tommy, the general manager, also helped explore the very eclectic and reasonable wine list. Drinks matched their reputation as a cocktail hotspot. We love Husk, FIG, the Ordinary, Charleston Grill, etc, but the more casual Macintosh gives up nothing when it comes to an overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork bellydawarre0Dined on 11/6/2014tiny crispy, moist morsels with the scallop appetizer made the night. just wow!Special Features:
- First bad meal at MacintoshcharlestondinerVIPDined on 11/5/2014We have always enjoyed the Macintosh in the past, in fact it was once a favorite. However the meal I was served during our last visit was inedible. The chicken was so undercooked that I had trouble cutting it even when I borrowed my husband's steak knife. The greens that accompanied the dish were extremely over-salted. Our waitress, although friendly, didn't come back check on our table after the food was delivered. Although I had only eaten a few bites of my meal, my husband was almost finished eating before she came and asked if something was wrong. At that point, I didn't want to wait for another meal to be prepared (it was my husband's birthday and we were meeting friends afterwards) so we just asked for our check and I left hungry
- Wonderful evening at the MacintoshRSNSDined on 11/4/2014We dined last night and our party of six enjoyed our dinner, wine and service. Our waitress guided us through the menu and every suggestion she made met with our high expectations. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Greatbfood in buzzing areaFitzDined on 11/2/2014The mackintosh had a friendly vibe and inviting warm environment, and that was surpassed by the menu offerings. The baby greens and egg salad followed by our osso bucco with red cabbage and grilled swordfish in purée broth was as good as we have had anywhere. Waiter Jerry was a star. high recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everRichmonddocDined on 11/1/2014Outstanding food, vibrant scene, and the best service I have ever had at a restaurant, anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real Halloween TreatPhilJDined on 10/31/2014This restaurant was recommened to us by MANY who live and work in Charleston. It wasn't easy to get a reservation, but we did on Halloween. The employees from start to finish were costumed and engaging! The Machattan was extremely delicious! We shared several things so we could get the different tastes- our favorite being the Grouper! However, there was enough of an interesting sounding variety for us to want to go back on our next visit! From the FBI agent to to our very "apealing" banana server, we had a wonderful Halloween experience. Also used the Bike Taxi-great way to get around.Special Features:
- Very ImpressedcharlestonfoodieDined on 10/26/2014Went in for brunch and my husband and I were very impressed. Service was great and the food was very very good. It was a little cramped in there but that is my only compaint, and I'm reaching on that one. We will definitely be frequent visitors and we can't wait to try out dinner.Special Features:
- MAC THE KNIFEdfs24653Dined on 10/25/2014THERE ARE MANY A RESTAURANT REGULARLY COMING AND GOING IN THE CHARLESTON MARKET BUT FOR ME THE MACINTOSH IS CONSISTENTLY MY CHOICE FOR A GREAT MEAL. THE OTHER NIGHT I HAD PORK OSSO BUCCO AND IT WAS PREPARED VERY WELL. LIKE THE CLASSIC IT WAS SLOW COOKED TO PERFECTION AND HAD GREAT SEASONINGS AND TASTE. IT WAS SERVED OVER A BRAISED CABBAGE THAT WAS THE PERFECT ACCOMPANIMENT. EVERYONE AT THE TABLE HAD A GREAT MEAL WHICH INCLUDED THE FISH, I THINK IT WAS SEA BASS, AND GNOCCHI. THE SERVICE, LIKE THE FOOD, WAS JUST THE WAY YOU WANT IT. THE MEAL WAS WELL PACED AND ENJOYABLE. YOU DEFINITELY WANT TO PUT IT ON YOUR LIST WHEN YOUR ON UPPER KING.Special Features:
- Food is indescribably uniqueBiskitDined on 10/24/2014Delicious and created to perfection. I don't know when I've had a better meal, service or experience. From the bone marrow bread pudding to the dessert bread pudding--it just kept getting better and better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience .JofromATLDined on 10/22/2014So happy we found ourselves dining here . We ordered some favorites based on the reviews we had read and couldn't have left happier. My swordfish was perfectly cooked with just the slightest bit of yummy crispness and my boyfriends hamburger had him almost speechless.... If you don't count the sounds of pure pleasure emanating from his side of the table with each bite. Not to miss as well was the gnudi as an appetizer and the bone marrow bread pudding. Great place . We will return on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food We had in CharlestonBluegrassDined on 10/21/2014Interesting? Most definitely! The menu is limited but everything is fabulous! It was probably one of the best 3 meals I have ever had in my life! It is a foodie paradise. The combinations were extraordinary. The wait staff was very helpful. Go to The Macitosh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/20/2014Great setting, good food. I think they need to offer some simpler dishes- the chef tries too hard to be offbeat on many menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have a Wow experience!FoodrichVIPDined on 10/20/2014Suggested by our concierge, this was a great dining experience. The seared scallops and bacon appetizer with succotash was creamy and delicious, the deckle steak cooked perfectly and mouth-watering. Service was exceptional as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time a charmeatoutDined on 10/12/2014We ate at The Macintosh last year and loved it. Ate here again this year on a trip to Charleston, and of the 3 other restaurants that we dined at, The Macintosh was the absolute best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchChasDinerDined on 10/12/2014Everything about The Macintosh was top notch. The food was amazing and the service was outstanding. Loved the whole experience and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Don't bother going hereDisappointedDinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014We were seated after our reservation time. Pressured to get drinks by the hostess while we waited. It took an hour to get our good and the server never checked back or tell us what was taking so long. This was our worst dining experience in Charleston.
- Great for groupsMollyConnDined on 10/11/2014Great food. Happening scene. Excellent selection of wines. our waiter made it easy to relax and enjoy. Our group of 7 had a fantastic time in this vibrant restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!M3anyDined on 10/8/2014We had a friend in town who was looking for a foodie experience and we found it! It was our first time and will not be our last. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and provided a superb experience. Our drinks were served quickly and all of our food was perfect. When we finally got up to leave, we couldn't believe that we had spent two hours there. The staff should be commended for a great meal.Special Features:
- Decent burgerDiningCharlestonVIPDined on 10/7/2014My gal and I had a couple of decent burgers and their delicious truffle fries. Service was okay.
- Best in CharlestonPhilVIPDined on 10/2/2014Superb and innovative cuisine provided by an outstanding staff. I recommend at least one visit while in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service were excellentBigdaddyVIPDined on 10/1/2014We are visitors from ny and have hit all of the restaurants in charleston over serveral visit the last 4 yrs. this is just our second experience at macintosh but it has kept indellible in our minds and on our palat. Every item, from the bread, to sald, app andinner was packed with great tast. Additionally, the waiter was very knowledgeable and lead us to the right food and wine. Will. Turn my local friends on to this spectaculer findpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WarEagleWarEagleDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely incredible food! We asked to sit on the back patio and it was phenomenal, romantic, quiet, perfect place to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent.FishDined on 9/24/2014We've eaten here from time to time since it first opened, maybe 6 or 7 times, and never had anything other than an excellent experience. The menus changes daily and always seems to hit the mark. First rate service - intelligent, well informed, attentive but not smothering or intrusive. The one consistent menu item, the burger, is as good as any I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jb waiter at grill 225jbohns3037Dined on 9/24/2014my waiter ..matt was a consumate pro..his knowledge of the menu was complete.the over all service was spot on and the food was exceptional,,it was obviously prepared by a back of the house staff that was trained by and executive chef that is world class.i have worked for the brennans in neworleans for 14 years and have been on staffs that have won every major james beard honor that are awarded ,,this restaurant deserves that recognitionSpecial Features:
- Fit for eave droppersIbis12Dined on 9/24/2014Why do restaurants put tables so close together? Is it trendy or maybe more efficient? What ever the reason, I don't enjoy sitting so close to the next table that you can hear every word they're saying. The food may have been better than I give it credit but I just couldn't get over the noise level and the nearness of the next table.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteFoodieCharlestonVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food here is creative and never disappoints. Outstanding Charleston dining.Special Features:
- Outstanding food & service!travelingdinerDined on 9/20/2014The Macintosh is definitely a must for Charleston visitors & locals. We loved the focus on the farm to table concept & the service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of CharlestondineinpsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great food! Excellent service! Right in the heart of the action. We eat out a lot and Macintosh really is at the top of the charts.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The food, service and wine were all amazing. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- OutstandingBillDined on 9/19/2014When our table wasn't ready, the manager stepped in, responded immediately and gave us free drinks. Excellent customer service throughout the evening and food was outstanding! Server was very knowledgeable and gave great suggestions for food and wine parings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8dereVIPDined on 9/17/2014Great addition to Charleston's World Class restaurant scene! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - try MacintoshJDM225VIPDined on 9/16/2014I always enjoy Macintosh when I'm in town every month. It's delicious, great service and it's a fun, casual, yet nice place. This time my coworkers accompanied me, and they offered one piece of feedback and that was they thought the menu options should be expanded a tad. There were only about 8 or so entree choices. That's never been an issue to me, but if someone is a little particular, I can see where one might think that. This time I tried the burger & truffle fries... Wow. The fries were amazing & it was absolutely the best burger ever! Nice choice for someone who may not want a seafood choice or the house specialty steak. I highly recommend Macintosh and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestauranteatinagainVIPDined on 9/15/2014Service, Ambiance, Food........all just perfect. The only problem was making a decision from the oh so wonderful menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for before theater diningluvgoodfoodDined on 9/13/2014With Pure Theatre next door and Wolff Street Playhouse a block away, it is the perfect place to enjoy a great meal before theater. Cognizant of our theater plans, our server, Brooke, explained the menu offerings with expertise and finesse. Her descriptions were spot on. She made sure the courses were served in a timely fashion so that our party of eight never felt rushed or impatient. I am very fond of their burger with truffled fries. Others enjoyed sauteed scallops, and another enjoyed a "deconstructed" BLT. The bright flavors of their cold corn salad was delightful as the firm kernels burst in your mouth with herbal sweetness. We all agreed it was a very good evening of fine dining and theater.Special Features: