479 King St
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themacintoshcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437894299
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeremiah Bacon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Macintosh
The Macintosh opened in September 2011 in downtown Charleston, SC. Located downstairs from its sister lounge, the Cocktail Club, and bearing the one-time name of the alley that runs alongside the building, the Macintosh explores the breadth of Lowcountry flavors in a comfortable setting. Executive Chef and partner Jeremiah Bacon showcases his talent for creating upscale, American cooking using the seasonal bounty provided by his local farmers and fishermen throughout The Macintosh's menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Macintosh - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Macintosh reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (175)special occasion (102)hot spot (92)vibrant bar scene (80)neighborhood gem (78)romantic (54)notable wine list (50)good for groups (47)great for brunch (46)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (6)special occasions (1)Show More
- Foodie HotspotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014There are so many fantastic choices in Charleston but we were so pleased to have booked this restaurant. We had the bavette steak and the burger, both stunning dishes. The cocktails were top notch and the ambience is perfect- romantic but also reflective of it being a young IT spot. The dishes all have a great creative flavour twist, which makes it a difficult menu to choose from! A must visit in Charleston for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a Five!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/25/2014Dinner at Macintosh was everything we expected. Food was excellent, service was very good and wine choices were acceptable. The only reasons for not giving this evening a full five stars were that #1.At the time of our wine selectiion, our waiter did not inform us there was only one bottle in stock so when we wanted another glass we had to make a different selection. #2. The tables for two in the front room, which is where we were seated, are really not even comfortable for one. I felt as if I were in an airplane seat all evening as they are very narrow (I even requested removal of my water glass for more space). I would not recommend as a romantic place, as you can't connect with your loved one at this table. Excellent for food though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealcanada3746VIPDined on 8/23/2014My friend and I came in for a late dinner on Saturday evening. We had the scallop appetizer, which was delicious. We also had the bratwurst served with toast and pickles, and it was also great. For our meals, I ordered the swordfish, which was by far the best swordfish I have ever had. My friend ordered the snapper, which is served as more of a cold dish, and she throughly enjoyed it. We had a dessert done with huckleberries that was also fabulous. Our server was very attentive and was easily able to answer any questions we had. Yet another wonderful experience at the macintosh! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and atmostphere!bsilverVIPDined on 8/22/2014We came to this restaurant on the recommendation of our tour guide from the Culinary Tour of Charleston and it did not disappoint. The food was awesome as was our service. It is a great restaurant that everyone should try when they are in Charleston!!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOIBFoodieDined on 8/22/2014We had an amazing meal here while visiting Charleston. Our server was very informative on the menu and very attentive. My husband had the Swordfish and I had the chicken, both were wonderful. We also shared the almond cake and I would recommend this to everyone. We didn't think we had room for it, but the waiter said it was great and he wasn't kidding. Definitely will be back on a future trip to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOliviaVIPDined on 8/20/2014We dined here while on vacation, the food was amazing and we stopped by the kitchen to say hello to the chef, who although busy did take the time to talk and suggest some other places to try while here. The server seemed burdened by our table even going so far as to ask if I knew what I wanted to eat while I was walking to the bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I really enjoyed my experience at The Macintosh. I would recommend this place to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteFinnilinskiDined on 8/14/2014Great atmosphere, excellent service, wonderful food. And as a bonus the best cheeseburger I've ever had in my Life.!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MacintoshChryscynDined on 8/14/2014Very nice restaurant, good service, good food, nice ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Salads, fish and dessert were fresh and fantastic!! Relaxing and easy going atmosphere. Can't wait until our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecadentChasLocalDined on 8/12/2014We came for a celebration and split tomato pie, bone marrow bread pudding, and clams gnudi. All were excellent! I think we chose some very decadent items, next time I'd do a summer salad instead of bread pudding. I'm a tomato pie fanatic and snob and theirs is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/12/2014Everything was lovely....food was superb, great service, good menu options.......but please, it was a Tues in August, why did you have the TV on over the bar??? No one whats to eat a lovely meal while a poker tournament is staring down on them. Turn it off...PLEASESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Food was amazing, service was above par, atmosphere was unfortunate. Our table was close to the bar and front door so we were exposed Nd surrounded by very loud intoxicated bar hoppers. We felt like we could have been eating at any crowded bar on king street, with drunk groups spilling in the front door screaming at the bartender for shots right next to our table. Our server did apologized for the noise. I would go back but perhaps not for a romantic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome staff, great foodLizBarryDined on 8/9/2014The entire staff at the MacIntosh was fabulous. A sincere and helpful bar staff got us off to a great start for dinner. Each person in our party of five had a different entree and each was delicious. The quail was tender and succulent, there was a terrific beef dish, and the best truffle oil fries ever! My husband had the pork which he claimed was the most tender he'd ever had but he was disappointed with the portion - he wanted more! All in all this was a great dining experience because of good food and a charming and friendly wait staff. Everyone we interacted with seemed glad we were there! We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014We had an amazing dinner last night. We were 2 couples from CT and we all completely enjoyed the sophisticated but casual atmosphere and the outstanding food! We each got something different for each course and shared a taste with each other. It was all so good that we can't wait to get back. For the apps, our favorite was the scallops. Our favorite of the entrees was the deckle. OMGness. It was THAT good. The almond cake dessert and the chocolate cake dessert were not to be missed. Our server was attentive, helpful, efficient and professional. Thank you Macintosh for a perfect dinner in Charleston!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended casual dining24dinnerDined on 8/5/2014Very comfortable atmosphere and great service. The food was excellently prepared. Don't miss the tomato pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavoritesilikefoodDined on 8/4/2014I arrived late into Charleston and we had to move our reservation way back. No problem. The staff was very accommodating. Our waiter Alex made us feel very comfortable and suggested a few dinner entrées. I had the swordfish and my wife had the Certified Angus Beef (CAB). Both meals were wonderful. What was equally as delicious was the peach soup! Alex was so kind to get me the recipe and email it to me the next day. This will hold us over until we return next month to Charleston and The Macintosh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies who BrunchBrandisDined on 8/3/2014As usual The Macintosh was wonderful. I had sorority sisters come from out of town and I told them about how great the atmosphere and food is at The Mac. Our waiter--I believe his name was Brian, was GREAT. But that is never a surprise. The wait staff is top-notch. From filling up our (bottomless) mimosas (several times) without asking, to accommodating all of our specific meal preferences the experience was Grade A. I will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Food and service were outstanding but noise level was way too loud. Food rivals far more expensive restaurants in Charleston but don't expect the romantic experience you get with that finer dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PrincipessaPrincipessaDined on 8/2/2014While I found the Macintosh very lively and comfortable, I did not think the food was outstanding. Good, but nothing that isn't available at many other places around town. I will say the french fries are a standout! Unfortunately, they didn't make it into the "to go" bag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Small but innovative menu. The quality of the ingredients and care in preparation shines through. The best steak.....amazing flavor! Snapper was perfectly prepared. Service was prompt, professional and friendly. Definitely a restaurant where you felt welcome and leave saying "wow.....that was really great !"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals we have hadJadieDined on 8/2/2014We dine out quite a bit in downtown Charleston and are very familiar with the Indigo group of restaurants which are all very good. However, The Macintosh was outstanding! One of the best dining experiences we have had in a long time. Everything was so good and the service was impeccable. The food was really amazing especially the tomato pie and the scallops. We will be back and sooner rather than later.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Our food was cooked to perfection and the service was attentive without hovering. We had a great meal and would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014This was my second visit and I loved it! The scallops, pork and beef were memorable!Special Features:
- So goodSardineinkDined on 8/1/2014Go. It was a splurge for our budget but so worth it! Happy tenth anniversary to us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Another Charleston gem. Loved the food, atmosphere and service. Sat at the Chef's table with my teenagers (didn't request it, they just sat us there) and it was really an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Nicholl knoshesLuncheonLadyDined on 7/29/2014MacIntosh never disappoints. It's my go to place whenever I'm not sure what the people I'm going out with like in terms of cuisine. The food has never disappointed and the service is always amazing! On my last visit, I brought a large group from the company from offices around the world and everyone enjoyed. I love trying new places but this a safe place for anyone's taste buds and every experience there is memorable in its own way. If you haven't been you need to go.Special Features:
- Very nouveau menuJammonDined on 7/27/2014The Macintosh has a daily menu. When we were there, there were two fish dishes, a beef dish, and pork shoulder. Two of us ordered their hamburger and it was delightful. The peach soup pleased the ones that tasted. Bone marrow bread pudding was an unusual side item that was tasty and enjoyed by the whole table. The french fries with truffles gets a special recognition as being awesome. The wine, beer, and cocktail list was extensive. Definitely a plus. Service was attentive and just right. The only drawback - noise level. I measured 85db. It was virtually impossible to hear across the table. In summary, a foodie's delight but not your meat and potatoes / fired seafood place. Bring noise cancellation headphones to enjoy Macintosh.Special Features:
- Spectacular!!JMCatDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I have decided that The Macintosh is one of our Top 10 favorite dining experiences!! My husband is a BIG wine guy and we are both foodies. Our experiences was spectacular from the minute the hostess greeted to Mathew our fabulous server! Mathew was our server however, all of The Macintosh team touched our dining experience from pouring wine, serving our entrees to clearing plates. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting AssortmentcltfoodieDined on 7/25/2014We stopped in after a good review on their burgers. My boyfriend was impressed and I thoroughly enjoyed his side of truffle fries. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable on the wine list and asked our preference of tastes then picked and fulfilled our expectations to a T. I had the swordfish which was a little much for lunch, but there wasn't a lot of selection for us pescatarians (I eat fish but no other meat). Overall a good meal with great service. I loved the décor - rustic and welcoming.Special Features:
- My favoriteABCharlotteNCDined on 7/24/2014I love The Macintosh. This is my second time dining here and I am again struck by how knowledgable and exemplary the wait staff continues to be. Our waitress, Brooke, made excellent recommendations throughout the meal from wine to dessert. Ok, I admit that we didn't love the bacon ice cream (good flavor, but couldn't get over the bits of bacon in it), but she didn't end up charging us for it. The scallops, sweatbreads, and watermelon salad were all wonderful. The deckle and accompanying vegetables had incredible flavor and my grouper was cooked to perfection. I highly recommend planning a meal at the Macintosh. I want to sit on their patio out back next time we visit, and try their bar next door.Special Features:
- goodeatsgoodeatsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Once again The Macintosh has raised the bar with their seared grouper! The summer salad and scallops were great,also!Our waiterSpecial Features:
- excellentChrisDined on 7/22/2014The four of us each ordered a different dish. All were excellent - the best in my opinion was the grouper. Oversimplifying as its been a few days and I can't remember all the details of the dish. Next time I'm in Charleston I'll be coming back for more to see what the Chef has come up with.Special Features:
- Great Sunday brunchChicagoPamDined on 7/20/2014Reviewers aren't lying when they say this place has terrific food and in particular a fun and delicious brunch. Service was excellent, and food was delicious. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Had the Deckle (ribeye), swordfish, Gnudi, all great. Wonderful waitress.Special Features:
- Hardy, tasty foodLoveDiningOutDined on 7/19/2014Attractive restaurant, with nice buzz. Good - but not great - food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJDM225VIPDined on 7/14/2014All fresh ingredients.. So many flavors in each bite. Server tonight had shy personality but was satisfactory. Our server last time was one of the best servers anywhere ever though. Wine list by the glass could be expanded. My dining companion was having beer so I didn't want to order a whole bottle and there were no wines by the glass I wanted. I got the sangria which was ok, but nothing special. Any food I've ever had here has been so scrumptious. Can't go wrong at McIntosh!!!Special Features:
- Stepping out on King StreetFoodBlissVIPDined on 7/12/2014Loved our server, Lauren. Also love Megan. Food is superb. I had the summer salad with a tempura squash blossom. The salad had bits of fruit and vegetables (okra) so I felt that not only was it delicious but nutritionally fabulous! I always try to find the wreck fish on the menu and this was wonderful. Only drawback is the noise level. I have been there twice when the table of eight nearby gets extremely loud. Everyone around me was talking about it. But I still love MacIntosh. They really care about their patrons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchDineoutVIPDined on 7/12/2014Appetizers & entrees were all top notch. Servers knowledge of food & wine exceeded our expectations! Thoroughly enjoyable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely satisfiedLovegoodeatsDined on 7/9/2014I keep thinking about this place! We were in town from Asheville, and we consider ourselves foodies. We also own a restaurant/bar and know how difficult it can be to get everything just right. Our experience at The Mac was spot on in every way. We started with a cocktail each, then shared a gundi with pickled shrimp small plate. The gundi was divine. Hubby had the pork shoulder confit, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and he knows his pork. I had the deckle which was also delicious, but the surprising highlight for me was the grilled squash with kimchee. Loved the goat cheesecake. I felt like we needed to be rolled out on stretchers, but worth every single calorie. We will tell our friends and come back for sure.Special Features: