479 King St
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themacintoshcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437894299
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jeremiah Bacon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from The Macintosh
The Macintosh opened in September 2011 in downtown Charleston, SC. Located downstairs from its sister lounge, the Cocktail Club, and bearing the one-time name of the alley that runs alongside the building, the Macintosh explores the breadth of Lowcountry flavors in a comfortable setting. Executive Chef and partner Jeremiah Bacon showcases his talent for creating upscale, American cooking using the seasonal bounty provided by his local farmers and fishermen throughout The Macintosh's menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Macintosh - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
The Macintosh reviews from OpenTable diners
232 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (189)special occasion (105)hot spot (105)vibrant bar scene (85)neighborhood gem (83)romantic (59)good for groups (56)notable wine list (47)great for brunch (39)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (17)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- WarEagleWarEagleDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely incredible food! We asked to sit on the back patio and it was phenomenal, romantic, quiet, perfect place to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent.FishDined on 9/24/2014We've eaten here from time to time since it first opened, maybe 6 or 7 times, and never had anything other than an excellent experience. The menus changes daily and always seems to hit the mark. First rate service - intelligent, well informed, attentive but not smothering or intrusive. The one consistent menu item, the burger, is as good as any I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jb waiter at grill 225jbohns3037Dined on 9/24/2014my waiter ..matt was a consumate pro..his knowledge of the menu was complete.the over all service was spot on and the food was exceptional,,it was obviously prepared by a back of the house staff that was trained by and executive chef that is world class.i have worked for the brennans in neworleans for 14 years and have been on staffs that have won every major james beard honor that are awarded ,,this restaurant deserves that recognitionSpecial Features:
- Fit for eave droppersIbis12Dined on 9/24/2014Why do restaurants put tables so close together? Is it trendy or maybe more efficient? What ever the reason, I don't enjoy sitting so close to the next table that you can hear every word they're saying. The food may have been better than I give it credit but I just couldn't get over the noise level and the nearness of the next table.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteFoodieCharlestonDined on 9/24/2014The food here is creative and never disappoints. Outstanding Charleston dining.Special Features:
- Outstanding food & service!travelingdinerDined on 9/20/2014The Macintosh is definitely a must for Charleston visitors & locals. We loved the focus on the farm to table concept & the service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of CharlestondineinpsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great food! Excellent service! Right in the heart of the action. We eat out a lot and Macintosh really is at the top of the charts.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The food, service and wine were all amazing. Highly recommend!!!Special Features:
- OutstandingBillDined on 9/19/2014When our table wasn't ready, the manager stepped in, responded immediately and gave us free drinks. Excellent customer service throughout the evening and food was outstanding! Server was very knowledgeable and gave great suggestions for food and wine parings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8dereVIPDined on 9/17/2014Great addition to Charleston's World Class restaurant scene! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - try MacintoshJDM225VIPDined on 9/16/2014I always enjoy Macintosh when I'm in town every month. It's delicious, great service and it's a fun, casual, yet nice place. This time my coworkers accompanied me, and they offered one piece of feedback and that was they thought the menu options should be expanded a tad. There were only about 8 or so entree choices. That's never been an issue to me, but if someone is a little particular, I can see where one might think that. This time I tried the burger & truffle fries... Wow. The fries were amazing & it was absolutely the best burger ever! Nice choice for someone who may not want a seafood choice or the house specialty steak. I highly recommend Macintosh and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestauranteatinagainVIPDined on 9/15/2014Service, Ambiance, Food........all just perfect. The only problem was making a decision from the oh so wonderful menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for before theater diningluvgoodfoodDined on 9/13/2014With Pure Theatre next door and Wolff Street Playhouse a block away, it is the perfect place to enjoy a great meal before theater. Cognizant of our theater plans, our server, Brooke, explained the menu offerings with expertise and finesse. Her descriptions were spot on. She made sure the courses were served in a timely fashion so that our party of eight never felt rushed or impatient. I am very fond of their burger with truffled fries. Others enjoyed sauteed scallops, and another enjoyed a "deconstructed" BLT. The bright flavors of their cold corn salad was delightful as the firm kernels burst in your mouth with herbal sweetness. We all agreed it was a very good evening of fine dining and theater.Special Features:
- A real treatMinimizingMeDined on 9/12/2014Service was impeccable. Food was creative and good. We were there for restaurant week although neither if us ordered off the restaurant week menu and the atmosphere was fun. Definitely would return.Special Features:
- EnjoymentdeliciousDined on 9/12/2014Met by friendly staff, excellent food, and great service. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Wow!843galDined on 9/11/2014Who would have that that Lamb belly would be the most delicious thing ?! We enjoined 4scrumptious meals, start to finish. Each entree is carefully thought out , plated and served. CAB sirloin, so tender, no knife needed. Grouper perfect , the quail with little pancakes, fun and tasty. It's a little noisy, but that's because is a great place for hand crafted cocktails, local beers and a burger like no other! Outside dining too! Valet parking is available but not obvious ... Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was awesomeEatwellfor2Dined on 9/10/2014Scallops as an appetizer were perfectly cooked! Their steak was perfectly done and was exceptionally flavorful. Service was exceptional and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveATLdiningVIPDined on 9/9/2014WOW! Food, service - everything was incredible. A really go to restaurant for everyone! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect. As Usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014I was in Charleston alone for business. Dining solo at The MacIntosh is not a lonely experience. The staff is attentive and genuine. And of course, the food is impeccable. The tomato pie, which was filled with tomatoes and cheddar cheese, had a nice kick. Main course was the CAB with seasonal veggies - in a lovely jus. I ordered another tomato pie and took my leftover main course home - on an airplane to NY!Special Features:
- Consistently GoodPursuingPinotDined on 9/7/2014The Macintosh has joined my short list of restaurants that consistently offer excellent food, service, and value for the price. This visit was during restaurant week. A menu item that was featured in the online restaurant week menu was something I particularly wanted to try. It was not on the restaurant week menu that night, but my server and the kitchen agreed to make it available to me anyway. The meal was excellent and the service from Matthew was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyHerndoDCDined on 9/7/2014Delish brunch in Charleston. Little dark in the space, but great chicken and waffles, interesting cocktails, excellent but not intrusive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Myfood2reviewDined on 9/6/2014Overall we had a good experience. It was restaurant week and the waiter told us that we could just order off the regular menu and choose the underlined items. The size of the entrees were very small and that would be my only negative feedback.Special Features:
- Macdaddy MacintoshSamwiseDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good. We had stuffed pork loin and the vegetable entree during restaurant week. Very nice atmosphere and service was top notch. The only thing that fell short was one of the deserts. The vanilla cheesecake was overpowered by what were supposed to be hints of citrus. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Mac is inMadameDined on 9/5/2014The Macintosh was very nice. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. It attracted very large crowds, bu the service was still on time. A must go to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanaDined on 9/5/2014Excellent service, and food! We're planning on going back and taking our out of town foodie buddies with us! Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The MacintoshOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Our meals and drinks were fantastic. I'll definitely be back to this place!Special Features:
- NicholeDined on 8/31/2014By far, The Macintosh is the best restaurant I have dined at in Charleston! I simply let the staff recommend cocktails and menu items (1st, 2nd, and 3rd course, by the way) and they did not lead me in the wrong direction...although I do not believe there is one! I am looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smt62Dined on 8/31/2014Fabulous food and service as always. We'll be back.Special Features:
- yuknoDined on 8/31/2014Great brunch! wife had the huervous ranchos and I had the chicken and waffles...will return when we are in Charleston!Special Features:
- great restaurantjerricaVIPDined on 8/30/2014We love Macintosh. We have dined here many times and are never disappointed. The menu changes frequently so there is always something new and delicious to try. Although the "mac" burger is a favorite DELICIOUS standby. My husband and I ate every bite of our appetizers, main course with side of truffle fries (a must) and shared dessert. I especially loved my corn salad appetizer- light, flavorful and fresh. The waiter made excellent suggestions when we asked. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great experienceBillDined on 8/29/2014We live here but it was our daughter and son-in-law from Chicago who told us about Macintosh. We took our best friends from Ann Arbor who were visiting to dinner Friday night. Quality of food was all and more than we expected. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We made a reservation as we were only going to be in town for one night. Unfortunately we had a late lunch so we weren't all that hungry and almost cancelled out - so glad we didn't! We decided to sit at the bar rather than take up a table. The hostess thanked us for letting them know the table was free. We split everything so we could try a little of everything. The appetizers were fabulous and the entree even better (red snapper). They knew we were splitting the entree so they took care of that for us, plating two smaller sized dinner portions, which we greatly appreciated. Save room for dessert, it was awesome - almond cake with sour cream ice cream! They seemed to enjoy our business as much as we enjoyed being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HotspotKLaneDined on 8/25/2014There are so many fantastic choices in Charleston but we were so pleased to have booked this restaurant. We had the bavette steak and the burger, both stunning dishes. The cocktails were top notch and the ambience is perfect- romantic but also reflective of it being a young IT spot. The dishes all have a great creative flavour twist, which makes it a difficult menu to choose from! A must visit in Charleston for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a Five!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/25/2014Dinner at Macintosh was everything we expected. Food was excellent, service was very good and wine choices were acceptable. The only reasons for not giving this evening a full five stars were that #1.At the time of our wine selectiion, our waiter did not inform us there was only one bottle in stock so when we wanted another glass we had to make a different selection. #2. The tables for two in the front room, which is where we were seated, are really not even comfortable for one. I felt as if I were in an airplane seat all evening as they are very narrow (I even requested removal of my water glass for more space). I would not recommend as a romantic place, as you can't connect with your loved one at this table. Excellent for food though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealcanada3746VIPDined on 8/23/2014My friend and I came in for a late dinner on Saturday evening. We had the scallop appetizer, which was delicious. We also had the bratwurst served with toast and pickles, and it was also great. For our meals, I ordered the swordfish, which was by far the best swordfish I have ever had. My friend ordered the snapper, which is served as more of a cold dish, and she throughly enjoyed it. We had a dessert done with huckleberries that was also fabulous. Our server was very attentive and was easily able to answer any questions we had. Yet another wonderful experience at the macintosh! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and atmostphere!bsilverVIPDined on 8/22/2014We came to this restaurant on the recommendation of our tour guide from the Culinary Tour of Charleston and it did not disappoint. The food was awesome as was our service. It is a great restaurant that everyone should try when they are in Charleston!!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodOIBFoodieDined on 8/22/2014We had an amazing meal here while visiting Charleston. Our server was very informative on the menu and very attentive. My husband had the Swordfish and I had the chicken, both were wonderful. We also shared the almond cake and I would recommend this to everyone. We didn't think we had room for it, but the waiter said it was great and he wasn't kidding. Definitely will be back on a future trip to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOliviaVIPDined on 8/20/2014We dined here while on vacation, the food was amazing and we stopped by the kitchen to say hello to the chef, who although busy did take the time to talk and suggest some other places to try while here. The server seemed burdened by our table even going so far as to ask if I knew what I wanted to eat while I was walking to the bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014I really enjoyed my experience at The Macintosh. I would recommend this place to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteFinnilinskiDined on 8/14/2014Great atmosphere, excellent service, wonderful food. And as a bonus the best cheeseburger I've ever had in my Life.!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.