1977 Maybank Hwy.
Charleston, SC 29412Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelotcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8432250094x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Low Country
- Executive Chef: Alex Lira
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Lot
The Lot is committed to making each meal an experience through thoughtful service in a casual setting. Each dish is crafted using the season's highest quality, locally sourced meats and produce. Our ingredients receive minimal treatment to allow their natural flavors to be the focus of each dish. The menu is approachable and showcases flavors brought to the plate through the use of traditional techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Lot - Best Restaurants in Charleston ›
The Lot reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (48)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (18)good for groups (17)hot spot (12)romantic (10)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- meat.DavidaLocaVIPDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant is lovely albeit very meat-heavy. While they do ask if anyone has any dietary restrictions, this is not the best choice for vegetarians or vegans. Pescatarians should be fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014I will go there many times--food is very fresh and delicious. The service is also excellent and knowledgableSpecial Features:
- The LotpwosterVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had an excellent meal at The Lot - from the minute we arrived, we were given excellent service. Menus were on the table on chalkboards that also featured the name of the party, and the waitress explained each dish in detail. Each of us felt our choices were well prepared and presented, and had a unique flavor that made the food special. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Overpriced and too loudGabeDined on 10/4/2014Went here for our anniversary, thinking we would try this place out. There is a club right next door and people were going into and out of the club where a band was playing. We were seated at the table nearest this door so we got to enjoy a lot of extra entertainment that we were not expecting. The food was way overpriced for the location and the mood of the restaurant. This looked like a beachy place. Color scheme was a carryover from a previous Cuban restaurant so it was very vivid. No menus. Had to read a little chalk board on the table. Server said this was because the menu changed frequently with what was in and out of season. All in all, I probably would not go back. This place seems to attract a younger crowd.
- Good local "upscale casual" conceptDiningCharlestonVIPDined on 9/28/2014Delicious food, and knowledgable staff but a bit disorganized when it comes to reservations & service. We went for brunch and it was impossible to tell who was in charge.. Two or three servers told us different things as we stood by the door. No host or identifiable manager to direct the flow. Then we had three different servers table side: one who brought us silverware and water, one who brought us coffee and our meal, and another who explained the menu. On the whole, a very good experience, but expect a very organic system of service organization.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu!bigfanDined on 9/21/2014Visited The Lot for the first time for Sunday brunch and thoroughly enjoyed a very unique experience! The farm-to-table theory means that the menu changes regularly according to what is available locally, and the chefs are unbelievably creative in offering unique and flavorful dishes that I've never seen on any other menu. If you appreciate unique, delicious food, this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was superb.JimIsleGourmandDined on 9/19/2014We have not tried this restaurant thinking that since it was connected to a popular & vibrant bar - "How good could the food be?" What a mistake on our part! The food choices, taste, and presentation were incredible. We'll be back & often. Simply said - the chef is a Master Craftsman.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulSittingmikeDined on 9/19/2014We visit the low country several times a year & always take time to have dinner at the Lot. A highlight of our vacation.Special Features:
- Great find!NeighborDined on 9/14/2014I pass by the Lot every day, but never stopped in until I began hearing rave reviews from friends. It is definitely worth the praise and I will be a regular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeekenderDined on 9/14/2014Great little funky place. It was our first time and really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent foodjvmoorescDined on 9/13/2014Been to The Lot several times and have found the food inconsistent. The risotto was PHENOMENAL - creamy and beautifully flavored. The noodle bowl was, at best, insipid. Too much thin, watery, broth that lacked flavor with some broccoli, radishes and 6 or 7 teeny heads-on shrimp in it. It wasn't worth the $13 price. And, for some reason, service from the kitchen was extremely slow when it came to getting our second courses. Took 45 minutes. They did try to make up for it by comping us some fantastic desserts. A chocolate-caramel mousse with a little salt on top was to die for and the gelatos were extremely good. I've never had mint chocolate chip ice cream that was made with actual mint in it.
- JudalineDined on 9/11/2014This is one of the finest if not the finest restaurant for original and local quisine in the whole Charlieston area! It's imaginative fresh and the service is always warm and friendly!Special Features:
- ParticularDined on 9/4/2014We have been several times to The Lot and each experience has be excellent. Our server, Chelsea, is a gem! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but a little noisyDiva4diningDined on 8/29/2014Food was very good, but place so noisy, hard to completely enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Kept Secret!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014This is one of the best restaurants in the Charleston area for a genuine Farm-To-Table experience. The Lot is located on James Island, away from the downtown tourist scene. With the menu changing daily, Chef Alex Lira's plates remain inventive and exciting. We've had several dishes and ALL of them have been delicious! The menu prices are reasonable for such high quality of food. The ambiance is fun, laid-back, and hip with a nice patio area. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanting fresh, local, nourishing food that is prepared like no other place in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Surprise!DI123Dined on 8/28/2014With all of the great restaurants in the Charleston area (we live here), this was a real treat. This is a bit off the beaten path (there are other excellent restaurants on the Maybank Highway stretch, however), but the food here is creatively prepared, most being locally sourced. The drinks and short wine list is good, and reasonably priced. The salads were refreshing, the main courses wonderfully tasteful (this is a meat-heavy restaurant, but we non-red meat eaters can be very happy here), and the desserts beyond yummy. A completely pleasant experience. (We went on a Thursday night; there were few customers, and the service was exceptional.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findchuckDined on 8/16/2014The Lot is a refreshing addition to the Charleston food scene taking its place along side of some of the better restaurants in town. The menu is imaginative and changes daily. We found all of the items we ordered, appetizers, entrees and deserts, very enjoyable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MamboGirlVIPDined on 8/16/2014Amazing find! Everything was delicious- fresh, local and different. Our server was very knowledgeable about every item on the menu. She patiently explained where the foods came from, how prepared and offered suggestions. We were all impressed in how our server inquired about food allergies or issues. Also, the cocktails are fabulous! Service ran slow, but we were not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Eat at the Lot - Now!SandDinerDined on 8/15/2014I've been going since the first, have recommended to many, never disappointed. Eat and drink there. Yum. Great service always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at The LotMrsEatwellDined on 8/11/2014The food is creative and delicious. The menu is small and never looks all that wonderful but whatever you order brings your taste buds alive!! The restaurant is adjacent to the Pour House which has live loud bands so very noisy. Go anyway!Special Features:
- Not a good night.EatsoutAlotVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were a party of 6. The server was nice, but the experience was poor. Two orders--burgers prepared to different temperatures-were mixed up and presented to the wrong people. The error was not discovered until after each person started their meal. The food was returned. The wait for new dishes was so long, one person cancelled the order. The second asked for burger to go. When she got home she discovered was given a chicken sandwich. Two orders of the squid salad entree were placed. One came out, the second order 30 minutes later, long after others finished their meal. The waitress relied on her memory (the restaurant custom)and denied forgetting the order. Someone screwed up. Not a good night. Second time there. Not for me.
- Creative and DeliciousjunebugDined on 8/6/2014What a treat to have locally sourced food cooked in such a beautiful and creative way! Something for everyone...and the chef is not shy about creating special dinners for your special needs.Special Features:
- Delicious as always!ECMBVIPDined on 8/6/2014Fresh and fabulous food! The wait staff is intelligent, professional and personable! Kudos to Jenna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food but the service was a little slow. If there had been a few more tables it would have been really slowSpecial Features:
- A favorite spot, never disappointssurfbirdDined on 7/26/2014The Lot is a do-not-miss spot if you are anywhere within driving distance of Charleston. Totally worth your time and money. Everything on the menu is delectable, creative, and well-prepared. The staff is passionate about food and it shines through their service and presentation. Fine-dining quality, in a relaxed and casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Love The Lot! Loved it so much after the first visit, that I had to return again that same week! Cuisine is outstanding - simple, elegant, super creative, and perfectly prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming funky placeLoveDiningOutDined on 7/22/2014Good food, reasonably priced; good portion size (not too large; important since the food is hardy/filling). Wonderful farm-to-table purity. Artsy, funky decor/feel. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendDebPDined on 7/19/2014This was our first time and it was wonderful! We've been talking about going since we moved to this area, but were in fear of a limited menu. Well that was silly since there really is something for everyone and the food is incredibly fresh! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good mealmrbrmVIPDined on 7/13/2014great food, great service, portions on the smallish side, but priced accordingly. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome!Beach4meDined on 7/12/2014Once again we had a fantastic meal, the shrimp was divine! Charred green beans were so tasty, the tomato salad was delicious along with the red snapper. Great bottle of wine our server recommended. This Lot delivers again and again,always something different! Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaplePoloDined on 7/12/2014Wife and I are always finding a reason to go. Food is great!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014The service was excellent and personable. They made our group feel like honored guests. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Always AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014One of the BEST restaurants in town! Took my dad for the 1st time and he loved it! Staff is always very friendly and very informative of the menu. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Overpriced!Localdiner14Dined on 7/8/2014An unassuming fairly nice atmosphere but way, way overpriced. The pasta dish with chewy chunks of bacon was quite "basic" for diners who like first-rate fine dining, although it seemed tasty to a more "down home" diner. Still, more expensive than warranted. The appetizer salad was quite minimal as was the charcuterie plate, and both also overpriced. The shrimp dish was disappointing owing to the mushy and perhaps overcooked state of the shrimp, and there were very few shrimp to begin with; fewer than the cost would suggest. The service was friendly and attentive. Generally, not an impressive restaurant by Charleston not withstanding the local fare policy.Special Features:
- Third time not a charmHighcotton64Dined on 7/2/2014First time here my new favorite. Second time Hmmm pretty good. Third time , doubt if I return. My husband ordered tomato salad. Was told a generous amount. We planned to share, but the salad was about 2 bites...and no heirlooms although told they would be included. Our main courses were meh..edible but not exciting. The couple we were with were unimpressed with the restaurant. Seats are uncomfortable, so if the food isn't awesome, you are ready to leave earlySpecial Features:
- imaginative farm to table food!!terrigilDined on 7/2/2014Our recent dinner at the Lot was really great! The dinner selections were imaginative combinations of proteins, vegatables and pasta and the result was very good!! I had a take on cavatappi pasta that was made with ricotta along with vegetables and chicken. The flavors were very well balanced and the pasta was excellent! My husband had pork that was tender and flavorful. We sat outside, and while the terrace adjoins the parking lot, it was still very pleasurable. We had the best, most enthusiastic waitress - she really knew the food and was good at wine pairing as well! I highly recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014The Lot never disappoints! I try and come here every couple of months with my family. We are lucky to live nearby. The food is always amazing, we LOVED the grouper and steak. The staff is very friendly and always enthusiastic about the food and how it is prepared. Keep doing what you're doing, I can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- A Hidden GemAlan2525Dined on 6/28/2014A wonderful meal. All fresh herbs and local fish. Outstanding. Will be back.Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the The Lot reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Food was great as was service. Noise level was so high we couldn't hear one another. There was a table right behind us where they screamed in laughterSpecial Features:
- Great Experienceuscgirl54VIPDined on 6/21/2014Very different menu but excellent. We really enjoyed it.Special Features: