1977 Maybank Hwy.
Charleston, SC 29412Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelotcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8432250094x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Low Country
- Executive Chef: Alex Lira
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Lot
The Lot is committed to making each meal an experience through thoughtful service in a casual setting. Each dish is crafted using the season's highest quality, locally sourced meats and produce. Our ingredients receive minimal treatment to allow their natural flavors to be the focus of each dish. The menu is approachable and showcases flavors brought to the plate through the use of traditional techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Lot - Best Restaurants in Charleston ›
The Lot reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (46)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (16)good for groups (16)romantic (10)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good food, but a little noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Food was very good, but place so noisy, hard to completely enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Kept Secret!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014This is one of the best restaurants in the Charleston area for a genuine Farm-To-Table experience. The Lot is located on James Island, away from the downtown tourist scene. With the menu changing daily, Chef Alex Lira's plates remain inventive and exciting. We've had several dishes and ALL of them have been delicious! The menu prices are reasonable for such high quality of food. The ambiance is fun, laid-back, and hip with a nice patio area. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanting fresh, local, nourishing food that is prepared like no other place in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Surprise!DI123Dined on 8/28/2014With all of the great restaurants in the Charleston area (we live here), this was a real treat. This is a bit off the beaten path (there are other excellent restaurants on the Maybank Highway stretch, however), but the food here is creatively prepared, most being locally sourced. The drinks and short wine list is good, and reasonably priced. The salads were refreshing, the main courses wonderfully tasteful (this is a meat-heavy restaurant, but we non-red meat eaters can be very happy here), and the desserts beyond yummy. A completely pleasant experience. (We went on a Thursday night; there were few customers, and the service was exceptional.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findchuckDined on 8/16/2014The Lot is a refreshing addition to the Charleston food scene taking its place along side of some of the better restaurants in town. The menu is imaginative and changes daily. We found all of the items we ordered, appetizers, entrees and deserts, very enjoyable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MamboGirlVIPDined on 8/16/2014Amazing find! Everything was delicious- fresh, local and different. Our server was very knowledgeable about every item on the menu. She patiently explained where the foods came from, how prepared and offered suggestions. We were all impressed in how our server inquired about food allergies or issues. Also, the cocktails are fabulous! Service ran slow, but we were not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Eat at the Lot - Now!SandDinerDined on 8/15/2014I've been going since the first, have recommended to many, never disappointed. Eat and drink there. Yum. Great service always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at The LotMrsEatwellDined on 8/11/2014The food is creative and delicious. The menu is small and never looks all that wonderful but whatever you order brings your taste buds alive!! The restaurant is adjacent to the Pour House which has live loud bands so very noisy. Go anyway!Special Features:
- Not a good night.EatsoutAlotVIPDined on 8/8/2014We were a party of 6. The server was nice, but the experience was poor. Two orders--burgers prepared to different temperatures-were mixed up and presented to the wrong people. The error was not discovered until after each person started their meal. The food was returned. The wait for new dishes was so long, one person cancelled the order. The second asked for burger to go. When she got home she discovered was given a chicken sandwich. Two orders of the squid salad entree were placed. One came out, the second order 30 minutes later, long after others finished their meal. The waitress relied on her memory (the restaurant custom)and denied forgetting the order. Someone screwed up. Not a good night. Second time there. Not for me.
- Creative and DeliciousjunebugDined on 8/6/2014What a treat to have locally sourced food cooked in such a beautiful and creative way! Something for everyone...and the chef is not shy about creating special dinners for your special needs.Special Features:
- Delicious as always!ECMBVIPDined on 8/6/2014Fresh and fabulous food! The wait staff is intelligent, professional and personable! Kudos to Jenna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food but the service was a little slow. If there had been a few more tables it would have been really slowSpecial Features:
- A favorite spot, never disappointssurfbirdDined on 7/26/2014The Lot is a do-not-miss spot if you are anywhere within driving distance of Charleston. Totally worth your time and money. Everything on the menu is delectable, creative, and well-prepared. The staff is passionate about food and it shines through their service and presentation. Fine-dining quality, in a relaxed and casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Love The Lot! Loved it so much after the first visit, that I had to return again that same week! Cuisine is outstanding - simple, elegant, super creative, and perfectly prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming funky placeLoveDiningOutDined on 7/22/2014Good food, reasonably priced; good portion size (not too large; important since the food is hardy/filling). Wonderful farm-to-table purity. Artsy, funky decor/feel. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendDebPDined on 7/19/2014This was our first time and it was wonderful! We've been talking about going since we moved to this area, but were in fear of a limited menu. Well that was silly since there really is something for everyone and the food is incredibly fresh! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good mealmrbrmVIPDined on 7/13/2014great food, great service, portions on the smallish side, but priced accordingly. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome!Beach4meDined on 7/12/2014Once again we had a fantastic meal, the shrimp was divine! Charred green beans were so tasty, the tomato salad was delicious along with the red snapper. Great bottle of wine our server recommended. This Lot delivers again and again,always something different! Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaplePoloDined on 7/12/2014Wife and I are always finding a reason to go. Food is great!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014The service was excellent and personable. They made our group feel like honored guests. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Always AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014One of the BEST restaurants in town! Took my dad for the 1st time and he loved it! Staff is always very friendly and very informative of the menu. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Overpriced!Localdiner14Dined on 7/8/2014An unassuming fairly nice atmosphere but way, way overpriced. The pasta dish with chewy chunks of bacon was quite "basic" for diners who like first-rate fine dining, although it seemed tasty to a more "down home" diner. Still, more expensive than warranted. The appetizer salad was quite minimal as was the charcuterie plate, and both also overpriced. The shrimp dish was disappointing owing to the mushy and perhaps overcooked state of the shrimp, and there were very few shrimp to begin with; fewer than the cost would suggest. The service was friendly and attentive. Generally, not an impressive restaurant by Charleston not withstanding the local fare policy.Special Features:
- Third time not a charmHighcotton64Dined on 7/2/2014First time here my new favorite. Second time Hmmm pretty good. Third time , doubt if I return. My husband ordered tomato salad. Was told a generous amount. We planned to share, but the salad was about 2 bites...and no heirlooms although told they would be included. Our main courses were meh..edible but not exciting. The couple we were with were unimpressed with the restaurant. Seats are uncomfortable, so if the food isn't awesome, you are ready to leave earlySpecial Features:
- imaginative farm to table food!!terrigilDined on 7/2/2014Our recent dinner at the Lot was really great! The dinner selections were imaginative combinations of proteins, vegatables and pasta and the result was very good!! I had a take on cavatappi pasta that was made with ricotta along with vegetables and chicken. The flavors were very well balanced and the pasta was excellent! My husband had pork that was tender and flavorful. We sat outside, and while the terrace adjoins the parking lot, it was still very pleasurable. We had the best, most enthusiastic waitress - she really knew the food and was good at wine pairing as well! I highly recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014The Lot never disappoints! I try and come here every couple of months with my family. We are lucky to live nearby. The food is always amazing, we LOVED the grouper and steak. The staff is very friendly and always enthusiastic about the food and how it is prepared. Keep doing what you're doing, I can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- A Hidden GemAlan2525Dined on 6/28/2014A wonderful meal. All fresh herbs and local fish. Outstanding. Will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Food was great as was service. Noise level was so high we couldn't hear one another. There was a table right behind us where they screamed in laughterSpecial Features:
- tremendousstevenDined on 6/9/2014We were pleased to learn about this true- to- the- core farm- to- table restaurant off a highway; it was recommended by a knowledgeable person in Charleston. What a find. Great vibe, and even better food--each dish cooked with talent and respect for and deference to the flavors of the local ingredients. Also well-priced given the quality.Special Features:
- gourmetcookDined on 6/6/2014The food was good, but portions were very small and prices too high for amount of food served.. No bread or starch was offered. The fish portion was fine, but had two small pieces of broccoli and one very small Japanese eggplant cut in half (which was very bitter). Some fingerling potatoes or grits added to the plate would have been welcome, since they served them with other entrees. There are so many good restaurants on JI, we will not be going back to The Lot. Wine prices were too high also...$9 for a glass of $15 chardonnay.
- Excellent!LuckyShuckerDined on 6/2/2014After hearing about the Lot from foodie and farmer friends, my expectations were pretty high - and the Lot exceeded them. The food was excellently prepared, locally sourced, and creatively composed. My wife had the cucumber and pea soup which was a real gem, and I enjoyed the charcuterie - and while there could have been more meat on the plate, the interesting parings of heat, sour, tartness, and pickled flavors from the veggies made the dish fun and tasty. For dinner we enjoyed the snapper, a meal that I would eat as often as time would allow for it, and the Mrs had shrimp & grits which were spot on, succulent, and creamy. Be sure to save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unpretentious, fresh food63spDined on 5/27/2014Enjoyed excellent farm-to-table meal and casual atmosphere. Entrees balanced between seafood and meat; nice offering of appetizers and desserts, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummmmmm!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Wow. I was blown away with every bite. The food tasted light and fresh but also packed with flavor. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- ChophouseDined on 5/12/2014Very knowledgeable and friendly waitress. Food was delicious. Had eight people and everyone loved their food and the service was excellent. Will go back again and again.Special Features:
- CFMCDined on 5/10/2014Our appetizers were quite tasty, so we looked forward to our main dishes. For over an hour, we had to wait for our next course. We noticed people after us retrieve their dishes, so I asked the server for our food. Suddenly, our meal came right out and it was cool to the touch as if the food had been sitting for a bit. We mentioned this to the server and she claimed it is part of the meal. Not too often have I had a cold meal unless it is mentioned prior to our menu order. In my opinion, both the prices and food are over rated. There are too many excellent restaurants to dine in Charleston before choosing the Lot.
- HarmonyBoobie22Dined on 5/5/2014My first time at the lot was amazing! It was on a Friday, I was so excited to take my boyfriend there! but when I took him the fallowing Monday the food was ssooo salty. it made me sad It wasn't as fabulous for him like it was for me the first time, especially when it cost $100 before tip :( but it's such a beautiful place and the freshness of the food can't be beat, I'm gunna try to take him again.. On a FridaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the The Lot reviews archive.
- Great place!Luv2eatorganicDined on 5/2/2014If you're looking for a local organic restaurant The Lot is the place to go! Food is from local farmers and the chef does an amazing job! A definite return for us when we visit Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucabeeDined on 5/1/2014Great food and service!! Delicious trotters. Very knowledgable staff. Local brews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So yummyCharlestonfoodieDined on 4/23/2014Fresh local ingredients prepared perfectly. Excellent dinner. I'm not a huge fan of having the menu read to me. Would prefer to have a normal paper menu provided. Can't wait to go back though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014We'll definitely add this to our "go back to" list for future Charleston visits, which we do several times a year. For Easter Brunch my husband was surprised by the exterior and questioned if we were in the right place, but I assured him that every review I had read on Open Table highly recommended it for the food and service...and I have to agree. The food was excellent and the service was also. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous discoverykm89VIPDined on 4/17/2014We had the best time. My mom was in town&we branched out&tried the Lot for our dinner on the first night. My boyfriend, who drives by every day on his way to work was thrilled to finally try The Lot&even more thrilled with his pork belly. My mom&I both have obnoxious food intolerances and the waitress was awesome about them. Our food was amazing, not incredibly expensive, and better than so many of the Charleston 'institutions'. They clearly appreciate the local&healthy aspect of their food without being pretentious about it. My fish was cooked perfectly, the portions were just enough (although my gluttonous side wanted more). We had the pate which was fabulous, I only wish that there was a cheese plate available. Overall, a GREAT night.Special Features:
- pleasant surprise and fineWillisDined on 4/13/2014so nice to find a new place with very nice staff, good food and a fun atmosphere!!Special Features: