824 Hinton Ave
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelocal-cville.com/
- Phone: 4349849749
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Local
Come visit and experience The Local! We believe everyone should experience meals that feature delicately prepared fresh local ingredients in a great atmosphere. In our corner of the world, everyone's a Local. EAT, DRINK, & BE LOCALContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Local - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Local reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (79)great for outdoor dining (58)special occasion (48)romantic (43)good for groups (37)hot spot (35)notable wine list (34)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Big city style in a small townOutandaboutDined on 9/13/2014The Local is dependably excellent. Food, service, and setting all work to bring a near perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingNotmeVIPDined on 9/13/2014As visitors to the area we have been dining at the Local once or twice a year for the past 5 years. During the past few years, we have found the food and service to be very good, but sometimes inconsistent. This past weekend was one of the times that the food and the service were great, even though two large wedding parties were going on upstairs. The four of us each had a great meal (one of us, a meatloaf aficionado, told his wife it was the best he'd ever eaten) and, despite the packed house, our service was prompt and attentive. It may be a bit before we are back in Charlottesville, but the Local will definitely get another visit. One note, the Local, unlike neighbors Tavola and Mas, takes reservations which is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Slammed in CharlottesvilleloueaterVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Local is routinely slammed. As the name implies, locally sourced foods are the "stars". Comfort food is the orientation. The indoor space is small and tables are crowded together. We waited for 15+ minutes to have our server appear for beverage orders and then another 15 + minutes for the beverages to appear. The restaurant was at fault for having too few servers for the level of business activity. Check out the "wines by the glass". No California, Oregon, Washington wines? Aren't American wines easier to obtain than those from Italy, South Africa, etc.? Think about the carbon footprint of California vs South Africa.Special Features:
- Reasonable, tasty and awesomeBrianvi670312Dined on 9/8/2014Great place, interesting selections, done perfectly. Affordable with great service. If I lived in C'ville it would be a regular stop.Special Features:
- Flavorful Plates!VDay2014Dined on 9/6/2014I love this restaurant. There is a great staff, delicious food, a great ambience, and lastly they have great drinks!! My wife and I had Southern Tier Pumking beer!! The greatest pumpkin beer ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, locally sourcedgreatVIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been to the Local several times now and are never disappointed with the food or our server. However, the front of the house was so disorganized and slow our last visit that there was a line outside the restaurant despite everyone having a reservation. The hostess also failed to check us in for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a family favoriteUVAfoodieDined on 9/5/2014We always look forward to dinner at The Local whenever we visit Charlottesville with family and friends. The farm to fork menu is fresh and delicious and there are several gluten-free options. The truffle pasta dishes are a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Local is great!CVilleFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The Local is my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville. I've never had a bad meal there. Great date spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner during our trip to Charlottesville. The food, atmosphere, and staff were great. Very celiac friendly to boot!Special Features:
- DisappointingRichmondDinerDined on 8/31/2014We dined at The Local on a Saturday night, with an 8pm reservation. The hostess stand was out of control, and we were not seated for nearly half an hour. Upon seating, my husband and I ordered an appetizer, salad and large pasta dish to share. Instead of bringing each course individually, the waitress brought everything at once. The two cold dishes were good, but the pasta bowl and food were so hot and glazed over that it was apparent it had been sitting under a warmer for a very long time. While we were dining, we witnessed inappropriate behavior among the staff, including touchy flirting and one waiter who threw something down the stairs at another waiter. We have enjoyed The Local in the past but will not return.Special Features:
- woodspriteVIPDined on 8/30/2014excellent!Best local food and local wine in many miles. Nice staff as well.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodjjuvaDined on 8/30/2014I had a group of four and we sat outside and upstairs on the deck. The weather was perfect and the service we received was great. I can't remember the waitress' name, but she was extremely nice and understanding when one of the meals we ordered was a little too dry for the person who ordered it. She gladly took it back and helped her order a different dish.Special Features:
- Great food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Everyone in our party of ten was pleased with their food. Service was good, even with two big wedding related groups in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Fine dining in a great spotSEPeatsDined on 8/24/2014Everything from the attention we received upon stepping through the front door to the last drop of dessert was perfect. The food is locally and ethically sourced, and fantastic to boot. We dined upstairs on the balcony, so I really can't say what the noise level would be indoors. The only complaint was the lighting was a little too dark for me. I suppose that keeps insects away though! Go to The Local!Special Features:
- My favoriteajayjayDined on 8/23/2014The local never disappoints! Had an amazing meal with a friend who was visiting from out of town. The lobster mac and cheese was to die for!Special Features:
- great place, food needs to improvejay1VIPDined on 8/23/2014I have been before and the food was much better. I am not sure if the kitchen was too busy, but this time food was not good. Service was great.
- Poor service, cold foodAlexDined on 8/23/2014The meal started well- drinks and appetizers were great. Unfortunately, we waited over an hour for our main course without any explanation from or checking in by the waitstaff. When the food finally arrived, the main courses were cold, alternatively over- and under-cooked, and messily plated. Sauce was dripping off the plate, the potatoes were chalky mess, and where one duck platter had 3 very over cooked pieces, the other only had 2 small raw pieces. The cabbage "slaw" on top was just cabbage-- no dressing-- and the duck lacked any seasoning. This whole time we watched as a constant stream of people lined up to eat and the waiter and host spent more time helping them than serving the seated customers.Special Features:
- Never disappointed.TheHagansDined on 8/23/2014We go to the local as our monthly date night. This time we went with friends who had never been and wanted to celebrate their anniversary. They loved it. It's one of our top recommendations to friends. We love the location, the ambiance, the food, the wine, and the service is always awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice find in C-villeLuvsmallplaces4Dined on 8/19/2014Excellent food, respectable beer selection, relaxed atmosphere--solid restaurant with interesting menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumlicious!MotheroftheGroomDined on 8/16/2014They always say ask the locals where to eat so when they kept suggesting The Local we had to give it a try. Soup and entree were out of this world but save room for dessert! Must go place in CVille!Special Features:
- Great night for a special occasionDaveDined on 8/14/2014We went to the Local for a special evening out and had a memorable experience. The food, drink and wait staff were all exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LocalJeffDined on 8/2/2014Food is consistently good, service not as much. The food & ambiance will keep us coming back when visiting Charlottesville.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014It's all about experience, and my wife's and mine was utterly disappointing. From the start, we had a reservation but the line was out the door to simply check in. After we were seated, we were not given a drink menu. So when our waitress finally showed up after a lengthy wait, she gave us a drink menu and then disappeared for another long time. After she finally returned and took our full order, we didn't receive our drinks or salad for quite some time. The wine pours, especially the red, were so low it looked like I had half a glass. The caesar salad tasted like just mustard. The half chicken was good, but it did not come with items listed on the menu (no BE-peas, greens, and brown rice no pilaf). And again, our service was all waiting.
- Reservation for 3cberryDined on 8/2/2014Went to The Local after rave reviews from friends; didn't have a great experience. We made a reservation for 3 at 6:30 on Saturday, we were put at the very edge of the restaurant's outdoor seating, behind the valet parking guys, who were cursing and spitting through our entire dinner. We were practically on the sidewalk. Our distance from the rest of the restaurant even led our waiter to complain about it a few times. He also had us pay as soon as we received the bill, so he wouldn't need to walk back. Food: meatloaf was amazing, roasted squash was good but not filling, gnocchi was too rich and heavy. Needed to be paired with something light.Special Features:
- Sons birthdayTommyDined on 7/31/2014My wife and I wanted to take our son out to dinner for his 22nd birthday. He recently moved to Charlottesville for work so we asked him to pick a restaurant. He chose The Local and we drove down from Warrenton. We had a great time, loved the historical building, friendly staff and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ND VISITOlneyNeighborVIPDined on 7/30/2014We drove from Wintergreen to this restaurant and it took about an hour. Really not worth it. We were their previously and it was great, this time it was just fair. Will look for closer and better establishments next time.Special Features:
- C-Ville VisitorJim49VIPDined on 7/28/2014Found out about the Local via Open Table and were looking for someplace to dine out of the ordinary. Located away from the downtown and nestled in a neat C-Ville neighborhood. Food and service were both very good. We had the house specialties, short-ribs for my wife and I chose the pork chop. Both were prepared well with delicious accompaniments, and we recommend them if you do not have other preferences. One nice surprise was the 50% off bottles of wine during happy hour that ends at 7:30 PM. Lot's of covered outdoor dining space on the second floor, which was enjoyable as it was a pleasant evening weather-wise. Noise was acceptable although it was a Monday and not crowded, a Friday or Saturday could be different..a popular place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good.MikeTVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food was well prepared as were the drinks. Our server was lovely. Sat upstairs and it was very very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/21/2014Wonderful food and service. OVerall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - Okay ServiceChsHTTRDined on 7/20/2014The food was outstanding. I greatly enjoyed the duck, my wife enjoyed her burger, my oldest son enjoyed his lobster mac & cheese (huge bowl!) and my youngest son had a ceaser salad. The hostess quickly sat us upstairs. There were fans working overhead, however, there were several pesky flies throughout the upstairs. Can't fault the restaurant as it was outdoor seating. The waitress was okay. Pleasant enough when taking drink and food orders as well as serving the food. Once a larger party came in you could tell that she was stressed and a bit overwhelmed with a larger party. We were left for quite som time with out anyone checking on us or asking us if we needed anything. They need more servers.Special Features:
- great ambience, disappointing mealsCvilleEatsDined on 7/19/2014We went to The Local on a Saturday evening around 7:30 in the summer. Parking in the Belmont neighborhood was not easy (to be expected). In terms of ambience, The Local is cozy on the bottom floor with indoor seating and a bar. When we arrived, several groups waiting for seating were crammed in the entry-way. The upstairs deck is open and airy. Our waiter was attentive, given how busy she was, and our drinks and food arrived at a decent pace. However, the food was highly disappointing that night. My burger (ordered medium) was rare - almost undercooked. The other dish we ordered was a mushroom/pasta dish, and the taste wasn't right. Overall, I liked the atmosphere, but the meals were disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Localcontessa4diningDined on 7/19/2014My husband ordered the crab soup, but was served the melon soup. I waited to eat my appetizer until we could find a server to change to his selection. As a result, we took longer than the kitchen had allotted, and when we were only 1/2 way through this course, our entree arrived, which we sent back. As a result it was later served luke warm and dried out. We did not stay for dessert. Since our reservation was at 7:30 and the push of diners had passed, there was no need to rush anyone through their dinner, and there were plenty of empty tables when we left. There is a noisy bar scene which prevented normal conversation. This is a good place for the "20-somethings" to drink and socialize, but not for mature people to enjoy dinner.Special Features:
- jennDined on 7/19/2014Food was great, service was poor. The hostess did not smile once; the waiter warmed up a little toward the end of the meal. Probably won't return because of the service. The atmosphere, on the other hand, was fantastic! I ordered the trout and it was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinning experience.EatitallDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I came here for a nice dinner out before a concert. Drinks were excellent, food was delicious. I got the beef short rib in a incredible red wine sauce. My wife got the roasted squash which was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodmatthewphewesDined on 7/11/2014The food here is amazing. They're not necessarily the friendliest people but the food surely makes up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant in CharlottesvilleAnniversarycelebrationsDined on 7/11/2014The Local came highly recommended by friends for its food and atmosphere. We had a hard time selecting the main course because everything looked amazing. I had the roasted squash with quinoa and tomato sauce and my husband had the filet. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals and dessert was scrumptious. Make plans to hit The Local if you are in Charlottesville. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious vegetarian optionsJamieDined on 7/6/2014Very much enjoyed my squash with quinoa dish and husband enjoyed the pasta with mushrooms. The fried green tomato appetizer was also delicious. My only complaint is that my water was not refilled as often as I would have liked.
- Poor Service, Great FoodroguerunnerDined on 7/5/2014I have always enjoyed the Local and their food is great, but my most recent experience there certainly left something to be desired in the service provided. Though we had a reservation, we had to wait in a line (almost everyone in the line also had a reservation) for about 15 minutes to even see the hostess. Because they were re-finishing the floors on the bottom level, no servers or hosts/hostesses seemed to be at the check in booth on the bottom floor, leaving everyone waiting. When a hostess did come and spoke to the first people in line, who had a reservation, she then took them upstairs, ignoring everyone else in line, and didn't come back for at least 5 minutes. Eventually, we got in. However, our waitress was very inattentive.
- Hard to go wrong at The LocalGimmeFoodDined on 7/1/2014This is still my favorite spot in C'ville. The gnocchi is a favorite, along with the short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic EveningYummersDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I celebrated our 11 year anniversary, and we have decided to come here for future anniversaries. The food is some of the best in Charlottesville!Special Features: