The Local Company
511 Danforth Avenue
Toronto, ON M4K 1P5Neighborhood:
Danforth / Greek Town
MediterraneanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Local Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.localco.ca/
- Phone: 4164655522
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - close
Friday to Saturday 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: David Bizeau
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact for information.
- Entertainment: THURSDAY *social scene*
a night dedicated to our indusrty with dinner beginning at 7PM
resident dj: lynx
FRIDAY *beautiful life*
an eclectic blend of current and classic signature anthems
resident dj: Stoim
SATURDAY *be fabulous*
deep club house, hip hop, r&b
resident dj: starski
- Special Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Local Company
The vision behind Local is to create a captivating experience for those who appreciate and are inspired by a love of music, art, photography and film. This uniquely designed 3100 sq ft loft-style, contemporary space authentic to Toronto stimulates the senses and offers something distinctive and refined. Local encompasses a superior Mediterranean shared-plate approach to dining out and a diverse music style which fuse perfectly together to create the ultimate social destination. Taking its inspiration from the quintessential art galleries of New York combined with natural elements, Local has three main areas of the design: the main dining area, the lounge, and the loft which are all beautifully unified by the palatial ceiling and a prevailing exposed brick wall. Local caters to the hybrid food and drink aficionado; those who are seeking exceptional cuisine and wish to experience an entire night out, by subtly transforming from a restaurant to a stylish lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Local Company reviews from OpenTable diners
- Ok... A Shame it Was EmptyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013The food was excellent but the place was empty! We booked a table for 8 on a Friday night at 7pm and while the front area was full, the rest of the restaurant (which is quite large and looks to have a dance floor area at the back) was completely empty. The space was well decorated and could have had great ambiance and energy if it weren't for the lack of people. Initially we were not overly pleased with our server. Offered to take our coats, but then did not actually move to take them and we had to wait to hand them over. Also after ordering drinks we were ready to order appetizers and he told us "let me ring these in first and I'll come back"... a pet peeve of mine, just take the order. He ended up being great though!Special Features:
- We were the only table inOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/22/2013We were the only table in the restaurant on a Friday evening! A little concerning, but a lovely evening.
- Service was excellent, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2013Service was excellent, attentive without being intrusive. Food was very delicious with the right sized portions for each course. Would definately return and recommend this place to others.Special Features:
- Food was awesome and a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2012Food was awesome and a nice quiet gem for a romantic dinner or a low keyed group dinner although there is a back room for a vibrant timeSpecial Features:
- Had a group of 9 for dinnerStartupFoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2012Had a group of 9 for dinner ... the restaurant accommodated this very easily, and had no issues servicing the table.Special Features:
- The reason for the fair reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2012The reason for the fair review not good is because it feels more like a bar with a few tables rather than a restaraunt. Good food and service. Don't look for a good wine list though.
- Overall, it was disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2012Overall, it was disappointing. Food was nothing special, service so-so. We will not be back. There are far better options at the same price point in this neighbourhood.
- The food was quite good forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2012The food was quite good for a trendy lounge. The atmosphere was vibrant and the service was very good.Special Features:
- We had a delightful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/4/2012We had a delightful experience at the Local as the service was wonderful and the food was amazing! We were there early in the evening so it is a little quieter at that time for those romantic dinners, but in being a repeat visitor this restaurant and lounge certainly gears up later in the night too. An all around great spot :)Special Features:
- The food and drink menu hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011The food and drink menu had so many excellent choices, we are going to have to go back again. Incredible friendly and accomodating service.Special Features:
- Nice decor. Service was great. ApCCTorontoDined on 11/12/2011Nice decor. Service was great. Appetizers were fine, not 'wow'. All four in our party went with various pasta dishes. All very nice, but not outstanding.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2011Server was not very efficient or particularly attentive. He wasn't sure what the soup of the day was - had to look at the sign outside of the restaurant. Our bread and water was brought to the table long after we had ordered. (The individual who brought that was actually quite nice.) The food arrived quite late and wasn't anything special/interesting. The fish was over salted and the veggies/rice were bland.
- Try it. You'll LOVE it. GoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011Try it. You'll LOVE it. Go early if you want a quieter dinner (7 or 8); later if you like a more spirited dining and music experience. Food is a step above simple/classic and prepared absolutely perfectly — no extra doodads to overpower excellent ingredients and skillful preparation. Generous portions, even for appetizers. Service is attentive but subtle, with servers is neat, elegant "uniforms." There is even a lavatory attendant (bring change for tips) — at least on Saturday evening. Décor is gorgeous, spacious and comfortable. Exposed brick, massive ceiling height. The Local, despite its name, is not your usual Danforth dining experience, which tends to be more casual and family-oriented. Definitely a pleasant surprise. ThaSpecial Features:
- Although the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2011Although the food and service was great it just felt like we were eating in an empty night club. For that nightclub venue it would be great!Special Features:
- Been at the restaurant beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2011Been at the restaurant before for appetizers and was satisfied reason why I recommend for me and friends to have dinner there....well none of my friends want to go back...service took forever ...we waited almost 2hrs to get our main course (1:45)..the chicken was dried but taste good...the lamb was slightly overcooked...and the fish was bone-in which the waiter forgot to specify ..the bread came after we were done with apps n chowder ???the group also thought the waiter was too loud (too many jokes to make guests comfortable became annoying).the plan was to stay there for the night but everyone wanted to go to another spot..unfortunate since great location for all coming from uptown area and beaches...great place for drinks apps that's it!
- Good food, not for beer lovers.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011We decided to just eat from the appetizer menu. Three dip trio, goat cheese filo bundle, and organic greens salads were great. Sweet potato fries came with an amazing dip, however, the fries were a little bit over cooked. Beer selection is awful so plan on having a cocktail or wine. Service was great, as was the ambience. Great music while we had dinner (our reservation was for 7:30, before the restaurant turns into a club). We'd definitely give this place another try.
- This restaurant had very poorCitylightsVIPDined on 8/6/2011This restaurant had very poor service, left for 30 minutes after dinner served before waiter came back. No ask for desserts or coffee. We were not having alcohol and it felt like we were not important patrons as our reservation was 6:30pm and by 7:15 the music was cranked up and the bar was the focus. Would not return.Special Features:
- Entres were very small andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2011Entres were very small and pricy. The calamari we ordered came soggy and not crisp. When we complained all we got was an apology. The main courses were OK. Service was just acceptable. In conclusion the meal was expensive and not worth it, we would not return or recommend this establishment.
- The waiter was awesome, heOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2011The waiter was awesome, he kept checking up on us and got my friend a dessert cake for his bday!Special Features:
- My first time here and I wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2011My first time here and I would definitely go back again. The whole experience was great. Beautiful place, great service, very good food and the birthday dessert was a very much appreciated special ending to the night. My friends were pleased with my choice, I found you on the internet and have been to several other restaurants on the Danforth, but this one has to be my favourite if not, very close! I loved the ambiance inside and even though I was with girlfriends, the mood was intimate and romantic but fun and trendy as well. I loved the decor and the staff were friendly and accomodating and attentive. I would recommend this establishment to anyone. thank you so much again for the awesome evening.Special Features:
- This restaurant was just okay.HollyDined on 5/20/2011This restaurant was just okay. The appetizer salad was huge but then the entree was quite small. The food was mediocre, nothing to get excited about. Service was prompt.
- Great location on the Danforth,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2011Great location on the Danforth, with a menu that provides a good choice of options to meet everyone's taste. We had an early dinner and it was quiet and service was very attentive. Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:
- Saturday Jan.22/2011 -FoodStyleDined on 1/22/2011This was our second visit to Local. A fond experience the first time led us back. This time the space was split in half to accommodate some form of banquet(included speeches ).As a result,the lounge atmosphere was lost, and the guests were compressed together. Dinner on a collapsable table?? Service suffered as servers/kitchen could not keep up. Music vibe was gone until after 11pm. We noted that we spent $70 less then the last visit due to a poor atmosphere. We were rushed through our meal by the server, who frequently asked if we were "done". Not pleasant at all, considering we had in fact made reservations that evening. No apologies made. Servers were miserable. If we were notified about the other event, we would not have booked.
- Service was good, waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/17/2010Service was good, waiters were lovely fellows. Was a bit too loud with the parties at the back but that is ok. Dessert was delish, food was good but could be improved a bit. Lighting could be a bit brighter.Special Features:
- It was fun but too crowded.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2010It was fun but too crowded. You could barely move around!Special Features:
- The Local Company was a trueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2010The Local Company was a true gem in the heart of the Danforth. The servers were friendly and happy to be there, the ambiance was warm and inviting. I especially like that the music was low key during dinner and ramped up slowly as the place started to get full. The food was a bit overpriced but still tasted good. I understand that in a place like this a customer is paying not only for the food/drink but also for the experience. And what an experience it was!!!! :)Special Features:
- Went early on a Friday nightpbgickDined on 10/8/2010Went early on a Friday night and seemed not so happening... which was good as all I wanted to do was catch up with an old friend. Food was over cooked and blasee
- Fun time. We had a late reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2010Fun time. We had a late reservation - we enjoyed our food and drink. We'll go back, but wish that they took the volume of the music down - way too loud to serve as background sound. It got even louder sometime between 10:30 and 11 - too loud to really talk among our group of friends.Special Features:
- We were VERY worried whenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2010We were VERY worried when we were served store-bought bread and too-cold whipped butter in little packs to start our meal. This is generally not a good sign. That said, we were pleasantly surprised with the quality of both the apps and the mains. Dinner companions had the Angus steak bites and the Caesar salad apps and raved about them. The organic greens salad I ordered was pretty pedestrian. The radicchio and frisee pieces were enormous and the dressing was virtually tasteless. I expect much more these days and I worry when places can't do an excellent salad. As for mains - amazing all around. Service was impeccable also. This is a cool place and near the end of our 6:30 reservation it was really heating up. Would go back for sure.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was kind ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2010The atmosphere was kind of like going to a club, but I found the music a little loud for talking to others you are dining with. The music was energetic and upbeat, and looks like there is a dancing section there as well. Food was good (went during Summerlicous) and I really liked the and service was also good.Special Features:
- A lovely spot - vibrant locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2010A lovely spot - vibrant location and wonderful decor. We had the Summerlicious menu. My starter was excellent, my main was not very good - way too many carmelized onions and some surprise walnuts on top (I'm not supposed to eat nuts - these were not mentioned on the menu), and my dessert was good but also not what was described on the menu. The restaurant was not full, so our server spent a lot of time checking in with us...too much time! Our conversations were interrupted 10+ times and at one point he brought over a tray of shots (we were not drinking) and asked us to do a shot with him (right out of the blue). I would not go back to the Local during Summerlicious.
- My girlfriends and I had anOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2010My girlfriends and I had an amazing time at Local Company. The staff was very friendly and had a great personality. And the music was INCREDIBLE! I'll make sure to recommend this restaurant to all my co-workers. Local Company will be the place I celebrate my birthday :)Special Features:
- The food was good but notOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2010The food was good but not overly memorable. For a restaurant called "Local" we thought it was ironic that the tables were so huge... local from afar? Also ironic and somewhat disappointing... the wine list wasn't really local either, only a few options from Ontario. As for the food, I'm not sure if it really featured local foods or not. So, for a restaurant a few steps down from the Big Carrot and with the name "local" we were a bit surprised.Special Features:
- Restaurant itself was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/14/2010Restaurant itself was good. Really well done inside. A great spot if you wanted to pop in for a drink with some friends. Interesting bar list. Very funky spot.Special Features:
- Creative changes using varyingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2010Creative changes using varying combinations of flavours gave each dish a tastefully original flair. Excellent quality for your dollar!Special Features:
- My dining experience at theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2010My dining experience at the Local Company was fantastic as usual. From the very moment we walked in we were greeted by friendly hostess. Our table was ready on time. The waiter was very pleasant and worked really hard to get what we wanted & made sure we were happy...(which isnt easy, because all four of us are pretty demanding ladies :) Let's move on to the food....wow! goat cheese dip was fantastic; a prelude to the main course: chicken supreme which was superb! And,lets not forget my lychee martini...really delicious! A job well done 2 THE LOCAL COMPANY...!!!Special Features:
- Had a wonderful evening, andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2009Had a wonderful evening, and actually went back a couple days later. I hope this restaurant gets busier and sticks around. Will be making this one of my regular neighborhood dining spots.Special Features:
- The perfect place for lateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2009The perfect place for late dinner and hangout afterwards. Loved the ambience. Food was good but portion wasn't big. Friendly staff helped with birthday arrangements. Very good experience afterall.Special Features:
- You could tell that food serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2009You could tell that food service was new to them. Not a huge selection and very few items of each, kind of what you'd serve at a brunch at home. The young server at the buffet was very nice and accomodating. We struggled to sit at the high tables - it was Mother's Day and not appropriate for ladies 60+ but they wouldn't move us because the other tables were apparently booked (yet empty the whole time we were there). Can guarantee we won't be back with the family. Too bad, always nice to have some new options on the Danforth.
- The wait staff were very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/27/2009The wait staff were very friendly and attentive. Every morsel of food was simply delicious and reasonably priced. The Local is a more intimate night club and the atmosphere was definitely party-like. Will defnitely come back to celebrate our next special occasion.Special Features: