The Local Chicago
198 East Delaware Place
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Local Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelocalchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 280-8887
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 6:30pm - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Travis Strickland
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Local Chicago
In the heart of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile & Gold Coast, The Local Chicago provides an elevated dining experience within walking distance of the city’s greatest shopping and attractions. Proprietors Matt Moore and David Flom, veterans of the acclaimed Chicago Cut Steakhouse in River North, strive for The Local Chicago to be a home away from home. Specially sourced ingredients are used to elevate American comfort food favorites that deeply satisfy. The menu changes seasonally, but standout favorites are the chicken pot pie, bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits, a show-stealing jalapeno corn bread and, borrowing a page from sister restaurant Chicago Cut Steakhouse, sublime USDA Prime steak. From the dining room guests can view the “from-scratch” exhibition kitchen, watching as chefs roast succulent rotisserie chickens and Berkshire pork racks in the restaurant’s majestic red & gold Rotisol. Rounding out the visit is a jaw-dropping wine list delivered via ipad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Local Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (32)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (21)great for lunch (20)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (9)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (8)special occasion (6)scenic view (4)romantic (3)Show More
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Outstanding food, especially the beef and the cornbread is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PangurBanVIPDined on 11/20/2014Great comfort food and seems to always be open. A GREAT Thanksgiving dinner each Thursday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.NHopkinsDined on 11/16/2014Last time there with a friend under previous ownership. the change is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a Local localLocalDinerDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant is just around the corner from our home so convenience got us here, but it is worth a trip. It's the little sister restaurant to Chicago Cut Steakhouse and the quality is as good. Some of our favorites are the house made potato chips with blue cheese fondue, the jalapeno cornbread, lobster mac & cheese, marinated skirt steak, chicken pot pie...I could go on. Great patio in the warmer months and great cold weather fare in the winter. When they offer it, don't miss the Lobster boil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notch as always!dgafchuck1Dined on 11/12/2014When in town for medical visits my wife and I always stop in for dinner. As always they didn't disappoint...great setting, attentive waiter, and most important, the food was delicious. Love the jalapeño cornbread and dr. pepper ribs!!!!!!!!! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryVIPDined on 11/1/2014First time at Local, found it last minute on Opentable. So glad we did! Friendly greeting and attentive service. Food served quickly and presented well. Will definitely stop by again.Special Features:
- Check please!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2014Better choices out there for the money! Ordered a seared tuna salad that was fair, nothing special. Also ordered a fish special that came with a very small fillet and nothing else. We asked for bread so we could fill up, but it never came. I am guessing they make their money off the tourists and not the locals. Check please.
- A great findJanPVIPDined on 10/29/2014The Local is easy to miss, but that would be a mistake. A nice, varied menu. The chicken pot pie was delicious and the gravy was not too rich. Ambience and service were perfect for a midweek lunch. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best meal in Chicago!FoodieFromCaliDined on 10/25/2014We were exhausted from our third day of trekking around Chicago and just wanted a good dinner not too far from our hotel. I happened upon Local Chicago on the Open Table app and the place seemed adequate, we were so tired that our standards for the evening were pretty low anyway. Much to our delight, Local Chicago was wonderful! Hands down, the best blue cheese salad that I have ever had! Yummy Chicken Pot Pie, Skirt Steak and the desserts... Holy Moly! a cast iron skillet baked chocolate chip cookie with an ice cream sundae on top. The wait staff was efficient and friendly, but it was the manager, Ryan who really endeared us to Local Chicago. This place is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- traveler20LLDined on 10/19/2014The food and service were excellent, although the noise level was quite high. The window tables -next to the outdoor area - were nicest. We would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Local was wonderfulRootsDined on 10/16/2014Service was outstanding. Our server recommended a fish special that was literally the best special we've ever had anywhere. The manager inquired about our meal and experience with genuine interest. The food came quickly, the check came timely, really an overall winning experience. Thx for the referral Scotty Z, spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Local Chicago ...CateVIPDined on 10/15/2014...is comfort food gone provincial. Try the chicken pot pie, it's winter warming for The Windy City. Great, friendly service and affordable prices. You will walk out full and happy!Special Features:
- Comfort food, busy placeTravel2EatVIPDined on 10/8/2014We came here for dinner as we were staying in the Streeterville neighborhood. Good menu. Entrees do not come with any sides, so we ordered grilled asparagus. The person I was with had the red snapper special, which was very good. I had the short rib special, which was just the short ribs (including the bones). Not much meat there. Good thing we ordered the vegetable. Very loud - all hard surfaces, nothing to absorb sound. It was busy maybe because it is in a Hilton hotel on the street level. Would go here again, but maybe just for a burger and a beer.Special Features:
- Ribs, chops, ho humFrankieVIPDined on 10/1/2014The service was excellent and friendly. The manager even came by to chat. But the food... well, those who said it was fit for foodies do not know what a foodie is. The daily fish dish was pretty good. The ribs were pretty good, in fact, way too many of them for one person. But the cole slaw was inedible... I had asked for a second cup of it since it is served in a little sauce dish, tiny. But then it tasted like it was 3 days old. The fries were pretty good. The coconut shrimp is batter fried and pretty OK. House salad nothing to write home about. This is basically a ribs, chops, and chicken spot. Nothing to recommend it in terms of "cuisine."Special Features:
- not badtheatreguyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Enjoyed dinner here, but beyond the lobster bisque, nothing was exceptional. lobster bisque (for two of us), simple entrees (for all three of us), bottle of wine - $80/person - somewhat expensive for what we had
- Never again! Loud overpriced!ChiDinerVIPDined on 10/1/2014We stopped in for dinner since the reviews all sounded good with some friends. Maybe with the doors open to the outside dinning area it would be better for noise levels. It was so loud that we could not hear each other and the room was only half full. The food was way overpriced. Maybe a warning would be no prices on internet menu. Come on.. close to $20 for half of an Amish chicken (it's a chicken) with no sides included. Never again! There are so many great restaurants within 3 blocks.. don't make this mistake!Special Features:
- A Local GemdoverdinerDined on 9/22/2014We were in Chicago from Boston to drop our daughter off at UChicago to start her Freshman year and happened across The Local. We made reservations through Open Table (felt a little foolish as it was a Monday night) and it was a good thing we did. The place was packed and we soon found out why. To start, we were led to the best open table in the restaurant--without having to beg for it! Our waiter was there instantly and informed us that his asst manager wanted to treat us to a bottle of wine. Which happened to be our favorite pinot. These folks are clairvoyant. We were there for a 'light' dinner and ordered the burgers. Perfectly prepared and timely served, by the best waiter we've experienced in years. This is a must do again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ButchRyderDined on 9/20/2014Very nice feel and good service. A little pricey, but understandable, given the location. Very nice wine selection, presented on a tablet computer (handy). Slight glitch when meat loaf entrée came cold, but recovery was prompt and attentive (good server, Chelsea) and followed by free dessert. Surprised to see a couple of families with pre-teens, but there were no apparent issues. Everyone seemed quite comfortable. Really, a nice experience.Special Features:
- JakeandElwoodVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great neighborhood spot. Servers are excellent and food is good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDowntownDotVIPDined on 9/6/2014We keep returning for the food and the "feel" of The Local Chicago, where you feel welcome from the moment you encounter the first person on its staff. I'm told the rotisserie chicken is terrific but can't help but order the shrimp and grits or the ribs or the salmon whenever we go. Hate to see the weather turn cold and have the outdoor dining area close but we often get a table by the big windows streetside and can enjoy our meal and watch the people walk by.Special Features:
- Great casual city mealBarbaraDined on 9/3/2014This is a nice place to have a delicious, affordable meal just a block off of Michigan Avenue in the shadow of the Hancock Tower. The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was casual but still felt like a nice evening out for us and the food was abundant and delicious. My husband is on a low sodium diet and they accommodated that request with no problem. As we left the restaurant, everyone including the young man clearing the table, wished us a pleasant evening! Thanks to everyone for giving us a really nice dining experience!Special Features:
- Labor Day LunchMangiaVIPDined on 9/2/2014Could not have found a better place for a relaxed Labor Day lunch. Collin immediately welcomed us and made us feel at home in this charming neighborhood gem. Lobster quesadilla and lobster salad were outstanding. If there is a better rack of ribs in the city, I certainly have not found it. Ribs were meaty, tender and well spiced w the Dr Pepper BBQ sauce. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gold Coast neighborhood placelove2eatoutVIPDined on 8/30/2014The outside dining area is fabulous. We had outstanding service and the food was delicious. Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PangurBanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great local gem openned early and late with high quality comfortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Wonderful patio, wine list and late night. Full menu and prices great for Gold Coast. Hopping bar scene and celebrity sightings, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant in a great areaGiffDined on 8/22/2014We have eaten here twice within the last three weeks and have enjoyed it both times. We have walked by this place several times as we usually stay in the neighborhood but never ate there until recently. The food is good and there are a number of items on the menu at reasonable prices. Service has been wonderful both times. We will return again in the future.Special Features:
- A Peaceful Family LunchPangurBanVIPDined on 8/22/2014With the grandchildren in we took to The Local one of the true gems and a place the grandparents love. We went there knowing a 3 and a 6 year olds would and the adults could enjoy a GREAT meal. Shortly after we sat down without asking the kids were give apple & carrot starters which all much happier. The adults enjoyed and so did the kids in this quiet relax place. NOT A KIDS PLACE BUT GREAT FOR KIDS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mix of tasty comfort foodsDowntownDotVIPDined on 8/20/2014The rotisserie chicken is great as is the meatloaf and shrimp and grits is our favorite but you can't go wrong with the salmon and the New York strip is perfection.... Get the picture?Special Features:
- great for late night diningVictoireVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our plane was late arriving into Chicago and we knew the Local would be open for dinner. ( We had been here last year for a great breakfast) Great food Great staff My only complaint....the silverware is worn out ( it was last year) and I worry about pieces of the silverware flacking off into my food.Special Features:
- PangurBanVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is truly a neighborhood gem that has become the place to go for relaxed comfort food that is always better than mother used to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool.....HonestTomDined on 8/7/2014...describes the decor, the view and, unfortunately, the temperature as the air conditioning froze my wife out. Food was opposite- hot and delicious. Nice to have food served at the right temperature and very well executed. We had comfort meal- pot pie and meatloaf- and they were stellar. Would return- but sit outside.Special Features:
- Go to The Local NOW!!DaddyyesVIPDined on 8/5/2014From the moment that we placed our feet inside of The Local, we were treated like rock stars. They have serious comfort food and they use quality meats. Ryan, who wasn't even our server, treated us like we were his family. He went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. These guys are attentive and friendly. The food was amazing!! Chicken pot pie, oysters, whatever, they do it right!! If you don't dine here, you are really missing out. I want to check out their brunch. All of my out-of-town guest want me to report back to them on how brunch tasted. Thank you Local Chicago!!!!!Special Features:
- The following 160 reviews are from the The Local Chicago reviews archive.
- What a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014My daughter and I were doing a fun shopping, dining and entertaining evening out before college orientation at DePaul University. We are local, but I am always surprised by the little gems at every corner ! Everything was perfect! The hostess was cute and attentive , the waitress was so sweet and awesome, the food was superior. Candles at the table for ambience ? That would have been my only suggestion :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awsome dinner in the loopLoopMealDined on 7/24/2014I was so impressed- the service was great, food was out of this world. Large portions- I split with my uncle who I was treating in town from London and the split plates were bigger than a meal. It was great they split the plates for us though which I really appreciated. I would go again and my uncle was properly impressed.Special Features:
- PangurBanVIPDined on 7/17/2014GREAT COMFORT FOOD -- Every Thursday they do traditional Thanksgiving dinner which is becoming a tradition with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMelvinDined on 7/16/2014Every time we come here we make sure to try something different. Each time its been great!. It was my wife and my 25th wedding annniversary and with out a second thought they sent us dessert on the house. Great wait staff and we decided its our FAVORITE place to eat in the city. Comfort food with a kick!Special Features:
- One of the best sidewalk seatingTSheldonDined on 7/11/2014Their setup for the sidewalk seating area is the best I've seen in Chicago. Food and service were great.Special Features:
- All good accept the serviceARR3VIPDined on 7/4/2014Our experience was pleasant accept for the service. Once seated a watress told us there is confussion and no one returned for even a drink order (20 minutes) as the wait staff constantly breezed by our table. Food was good. We would return...I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 7/4/2014I expected much better from the creators of Chicago Cut Steakhouse. I do not know what they put in that burger, but it was awful. I am not sure the meat was fresh and there was some gelatinous goo in it. One server seemed to really welcome new customers and give them thoughts and highlights of the menu, my server did not. The fries were great, though. Not at all a similar experience as Cut.
- A GEM!!!!PangurBanVIPDined on 7/3/2014The Local is a local GEM with high quality comfort food and a great door space. It never fails to please.Special Features: