The Local Chicago
198 East Delaware Place
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Local Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelocalchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122808887
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 6:30pm - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Travis Strickland
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Local Chicago
In the heart of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile & Gold Coast, The Local Chicago provides an elevated dining experience within walking distance of the city’s greatest shopping and attractions. Proprietors Matt Moore and David Flom, veterans of the acclaimed Chicago Cut Steakhouse in River North, strive for The Local Chicago to be a home away from home. Specially sourced ingredients are used to elevate American comfort food favorites that deeply satisfy. The menu changes seasonally, but standout favorites are the chicken pot pie, bacon-wrapped shrimp and grits, a show-stealing jalapeno corn bread and, borrowing a page from sister restaurant Chicago Cut Steakhouse, sublime USDA Prime steak. From the dining room guests can view the “from-scratch” exhibition kitchen, watching as chefs roast succulent rotisserie chickens and Berkshire pork racks in the restaurant’s majestic red & gold Rotisol. Rounding out the visit is a jaw-dropping wine list delivered via ipad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Local Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (44)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (23)good for groups (21)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (14)special occasion (11)hot spot (11)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (6)romantic (5)Show More
- A Local GemdoverdinerDined on 9/22/2014We were in Chicago from Boston to drop our daughter off at UChicago to start her Freshman year and happened across The Local. We made reservations through Open Table (felt a little foolish as it was a Monday night) and it was a good thing we did. The place was packed and we soon found out why. To start, we were led to the best open table in the restaurant--without having to beg for it! Our waiter was there instantly and informed us that his asst manager wanted to treat us to a bottle of wine. Which happened to be our favorite pinot. These folks are clairvoyant. We were there for a 'light' dinner and ordered the burgers. Perfectly prepared and timely served, by the best waiter we've experienced in years. This is a must do again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Very nice feel and good service. A little pricey, but understandable, given the location. Very nice wine selection, presented on a tablet computer (handy). Slight glitch when meat loaf entrée came cold, but recovery was prompt and attentive (good server, Chelsea) and followed by free dessert. Surprised to see a couple of families with pre-teens, but there were no apparent issues. Everyone seemed quite comfortable. Really, a nice experience.Special Features:
- JakeandElwoodVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great neighborhood spot. Servers are excellent and food is good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDowntownDotVIPDined on 9/6/2014We keep returning for the food and the "feel" of The Local Chicago, where you feel welcome from the moment you encounter the first person on its staff. I'm told the rotisserie chicken is terrific but can't help but order the shrimp and grits or the ribs or the salmon whenever we go. Hate to see the weather turn cold and have the outdoor dining area close but we often get a table by the big windows streetside and can enjoy our meal and watch the people walk by.Special Features:
- Great casual city mealBarbaraDined on 9/3/2014This is a nice place to have a delicious, affordable meal just a block off of Michigan Avenue in the shadow of the Hancock Tower. The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was casual but still felt like a nice evening out for us and the food was abundant and delicious. My husband is on a low sodium diet and they accommodated that request with no problem. As we left the restaurant, everyone including the young man clearing the table, wished us a pleasant evening! Thanks to everyone for giving us a really nice dining experience!Special Features:
- Labor Day LunchMangiaVIPDined on 9/2/2014Could not have found a better place for a relaxed Labor Day lunch. Collin immediately welcomed us and made us feel at home in this charming neighborhood gem. Lobster quesadilla and lobster salad were outstanding. If there is a better rack of ribs in the city, I certainly have not found it. Ribs were meaty, tender and well spiced w the Dr Pepper BBQ sauce. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gold Coast neighborhood placelove2eatoutVIPDined on 8/30/2014The outside dining area is fabulous. We had outstanding service and the food was delicious. Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PangurBanVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great local gem openned early and late with high quality comfortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Wonderful patio, wine list and late night. Full menu and prices great for Gold Coast. Hopping bar scene and celebrity sightings, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant in a great areaGiffDined on 8/22/2014We have eaten here twice within the last three weeks and have enjoyed it both times. We have walked by this place several times as we usually stay in the neighborhood but never ate there until recently. The food is good and there are a number of items on the menu at reasonable prices. Service has been wonderful both times. We will return again in the future.Special Features:
- A Peaceful Family LunchPangurBanVIPDined on 8/22/2014With the grandchildren in we took to The Local one of the true gems and a place the grandparents love. We went there knowing a 3 and a 6 year olds would and the adults could enjoy a GREAT meal. Shortly after we sat down without asking the kids were give apple & carrot starters which all much happier. The adults enjoyed and so did the kids in this quiet relax place. NOT A KIDS PLACE BUT GREAT FOR KIDS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mix of tasty comfort foodsDowntownDotVIPDined on 8/20/2014The rotisserie chicken is great as is the meatloaf and shrimp and grits is our favorite but you can't go wrong with the salmon and the New York strip is perfection.... Get the picture?Special Features:
- great for late night diningVictoireVIPDined on 8/17/2014Our plane was late arriving into Chicago and we knew the Local would be open for dinner. ( We had been here last year for a great breakfast) Great food Great staff My only complaint....the silverware is worn out ( it was last year) and I worry about pieces of the silverware flacking off into my food.Special Features:
- PangurBanVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is truly a neighborhood gem that has become the place to go for relaxed comfort food that is always better than mother used to make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool.....HonestTomDined on 8/7/2014...describes the decor, the view and, unfortunately, the temperature as the air conditioning froze my wife out. Food was opposite- hot and delicious. Nice to have food served at the right temperature and very well executed. We had comfort meal- pot pie and meatloaf- and they were stellar. Would return- but sit outside.Special Features:
- Go to The Local NOW!!DaddyyesVIPDined on 8/5/2014From the moment that we placed our feet inside of The Local, we were treated like rock stars. They have serious comfort food and they use quality meats. Ryan, who wasn't even our server, treated us like we were his family. He went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. These guys are attentive and friendly. The food was amazing!! Chicken pot pie, oysters, whatever, they do it right!! If you don't dine here, you are really missing out. I want to check out their brunch. All of my out-of-town guest want me to report back to them on how brunch tasted. Thank you Local Chicago!!!!!Special Features:
- What a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014My daughter and I were doing a fun shopping, dining and entertaining evening out before college orientation at DePaul University. We are local, but I am always surprised by the little gems at every corner ! Everything was perfect! The hostess was cute and attentive , the waitress was so sweet and awesome, the food was superior. Candles at the table for ambience ? That would have been my only suggestion :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awsome dinner in the loopLoopMealDined on 7/24/2014I was so impressed- the service was great, food was out of this world. Large portions- I split with my uncle who I was treating in town from London and the split plates were bigger than a meal. It was great they split the plates for us though which I really appreciated. I would go again and my uncle was properly impressed.Special Features:
- PangurBanVIPDined on 7/17/2014GREAT COMFORT FOOD -- Every Thursday they do traditional Thanksgiving dinner which is becoming a tradition with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMelvinDined on 7/16/2014Every time we come here we make sure to try something different. Each time its been great!. It was my wife and my 25th wedding annniversary and with out a second thought they sent us dessert on the house. Great wait staff and we decided its our FAVORITE place to eat in the city. Comfort food with a kick!Special Features:
- One of the best sidewalk seatingTSheldonDined on 7/11/2014Their setup for the sidewalk seating area is the best I've seen in Chicago. Food and service were great.Special Features:
- All good accept the serviceARR3VIPDined on 7/4/2014Our experience was pleasant accept for the service. Once seated a watress told us there is confussion and no one returned for even a drink order (20 minutes) as the wait staff constantly breezed by our table. Food was good. We would return...I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodie4lifeVIPDined on 7/4/2014I expected much better from the creators of Chicago Cut Steakhouse. I do not know what they put in that burger, but it was awful. I am not sure the meat was fresh and there was some gelatinous goo in it. One server seemed to really welcome new customers and give them thoughts and highlights of the menu, my server did not. The fries were great, though. Not at all a similar experience as Cut.
- A GEM!!!!PangurBanVIPDined on 7/3/2014The Local is a local GEM with high quality comfort food and a great door space. It never fails to please.Special Features:
- Expensive drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014The food was OK. The drinks were expensive and weakSpecial Features:
- Great Find!LetsEatOutTonightDined on 6/27/2014In the heart of Downtown! Dined with a group of 4 and we all ordered different. None of us were disappointed! Highlights were the started we shared: Chips w/blue cheese sauce and Lobster Quesadillas. Another great share item: Skillet Cornbread. I had a Seared Tuna entree salad, very tasty and lightly dressed. Had room for dessert (Apple Crumble w/ice cream-out of this world!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One ice cube = "Chicago Neat" = $2mharvey816VIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was interesting, though unremarkable. But what killed my desire to return was being charged an extra $2 for my Jameson per drink, apparently because I had asked for only one ice cube. This appeared on our bill as "Neat - add $2." Everywhere else in the world "neat" means no water or ice. $2 is excessive, and should have been disclosed at the time I ordered my first drink. And this isn't like ordering a soda. You don't get more with less ice. The amount is already measured out in a jigger, or should be. Thanks for giving us a reason to avoid this place next time we are in Chicago.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014Blue cheese potato chips were delicious. Steak is great. Risotto is undercooked and still a little bit raw even when they recooked it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Food was poor particularly given the cost. Disappointing.
- PangurBanVIPDined on 6/12/2014The Local has become the truely local relaxed place that always has good comfort food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceSteakHouseDined on 6/11/2014The food was good but the service was outstanding. Great first time experienceSpecial Features:
- overrated and overpricedcityplaceVIPDined on 6/10/2014This restaurant is very close to our apartment but we haven't been there before because the menu didn't excite me. The restaurant was very busy on a Tuesday night. I can't figure out why. My husband and I split a $l2 Caesar salad that was mediocre. The salmon with the quinoa and spinach was good but not as good as some other places where it costs less. Our waiter was inept. So many other better options in the neighborhood, Doc B's, Lux Bar for example have better menus, better food and less costly. I'm glad we tried it once -see no reason to go back.
- Very pleasant surpriseNancyVIPDined on 6/6/2014I had heard of and passed by but not eaten at Fuel. Following a cub game we decided to stop in wilmette for dinner and were able to get in to try it. We were too tired to drink (had been a long, hot afternoon) but just wanted a good, healthy dinner. The food was much better than we had anticipated. Not only was it healthy, it was also gourmet level complex, interesting and delicious. We will be back very soon and bring friends.Special Features:
- Nice downtown dinnercsorianoDined on 6/2/2014We found the Local Chicago searching for a spot near the Hancock tower to grab some dinner before heading to the 95th bar. We tried shared a lobster salad (a little on the small size, nice dressing), the fish&chips (not really outstanding) and the cheeseburger (really nice, meat was great). It was also good to have a choice of local beers! Overall the restaurant is good but not great (aka I'll not necessarily repeat for that prize). There are several spots downtown where you can have some dinner for really much less and same quality.Special Features:
- The following 141 reviews are from the The Local Chicago reviews archive.
- PangurBanVIPDined on 5/29/2014A local gem in historic Riverside -- Well worth a visitSpecial Features:
- GoodfrequentflyermomVIPDined on 5/28/2014Service was fine. Lots of comfort food. A bit pricey for what it is but portions are larger. meatloaf was especially good. Pot pie had flakey crust but we've had better. House salad was good--dressed well. Good beer, wine, cocktail selection. ot a 'destination restaurant" but a hood choice if you want casual and pretty well done food.Special Features:
- MarkDined on 5/26/2014My wife and I recently had our anniversary dinner at The Local Chicago. We really enjoyed it and look forward to going back again soon. The service was great, and the wait staff very attentive, without being intrusive. We were greeted with a "Happy Anniversary" (which we had mentioned when making our reservation online). They have an excellent wine list, uniquely presented to you on an iPad (so you can read more about each wine). We had the crabcake appetizer (very good), prime rib (prepared exactly how my wife asked - the best she's ever had!) and BBQ ribs (very tender, melt-in-your-mouth, practically falling-off-the bone meat). Dessert was an absolutely delicious Oreo Mint Ice Cream Pie. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorial Day BurgerjanschoiceVIPDined on 5/26/2014The Local is a great place to go when you live in a highrise without a balcony or grill - to get a burger and eat outside. The patty appeared to have been hand made from fresh ground beef and was served on a thin brioche bun with all the standard accompaniments, including fries and slaw. The ice tea was freshly brewed. Service was attentive and friendly. We'll go back to this place!Special Features:
- Noisy Night outJiuJitsugirlDined on 5/24/2014Was looking for a nice relaxing dinner with good comfort food. Our waiter was exceptionally friendly and apologized for the noise. Even though it was Saturday night around 7:30 there were families with many very young children who screamed and cried throughout dinner. I thought I was in Chucky Cheese. Ambience was sterile with nothing to soak up the sound. Food presentation was non-existent. Slabs of meat thrown on a plate. Bar scene looked fun and funky but I would not go back for dinner.
- Really great comfort foodChicago2VIPDined on 5/17/2014"The Local Chicago" offers upscale comfort food", and they do it well. Four of us dined their last Saturday evening, arrived a little early, enjoyed a cocktail at the bar, and were seated promptly at our original time. Our server was very well informed on the menu, and was attentive but not hovering throughout the meal. My wife had the salmon, I the seared tuna, and our friends the scallop dish and lobster quesadilla offering. We all thought our dish was very good. We had a table near the front windows and enjoyed the view of Delaware Street to the lake. They do have outdoor dining but due to the weatherit was not serviceable at the time of our visit. We will return!Special Features: