824 Hinton Ave
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelocal-cville.com/
- Phone: (434) 984-9749
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Local
Come visit and experience The Local! We believe everyone should experience meals that feature delicately prepared fresh local ingredients in a great atmosphere. In our corner of the world, everyone's a Local. EAT, DRINK, & BE LOCALContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Local - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Local reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)fit for foodies (81)good for groups (48)hot spot (47)great for outdoor dining (45)special occasion (44)notable wine list (37)romantic (35)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (8)scenic view (7)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Lovely Dining ExperienceCassINOVADined on 11/22/2014Local was recommended to us by someone who lived in Charlottesville, and it did not disappoint. The food was inventive and special enough without sacrificing quality or taste. We overlooked the cocktail menu, in favor of the extensive the beer and wine offerings. Everything we had was fresh and flavorful, and nothing was overdone, allowing the quality of the ingredients shine through. We shared a lobster mac and cheese (we weren't disappointed, as is often the case with this dish at other restaurants), the gnocchi and the steak frites. I generally shy away from getting anything other than a filet when I'm dining someplace for the first time, but I was shocked at how tender and flavorful my steak was. We had an excellent experience and would happily dine at Local again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MRB1VIPDined on 11/21/2014Went here for dinner on a girls weekend and enjoyed most of what we had. Really enjoyed the meatloaf, the appetizers, and the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantMadameDined on 11/21/2014We enjoyed our meal. It was busy, and we were seated upstairs, which is a very large dining area. It was not cozy. Sit downstairs if you want a cozy atmosphere. The pasta seemed fresh and al dente, not easy to find in restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, just too busyLucyDined on 11/20/2014Food is good. Popular spot. Seem to always have to wait for a table even with a reservation. We had to wait 30 minutes for our table to open up. We received a complimentary appetizer, which was nice. The restaurant is just too small for the number of people they try to fit inside. Felt like I was sitting at the neighbors tableI would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014it was a great evening and the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in CharlottesvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014This is the best meal we've had in Charlottesville in years. Comfort foods served with a deft touch, and great flavors. Excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerryDined on 11/8/2014It was overcrowded and so noisy you could not carry on a conversation. Food was good and service was ok. When we ask about the overcrowding, the waitresses said that was normal for a weekend. They took us into a back Alley to go up unlit outdoor steps without any regard for two of us having disabilities. Highly disappointed with the overcrowding and the noise. When we first sat down there was only another table of diners but that soon changed. We were surrounded with a very large party. The people kept trying to walk behind us but there was no room. If there had been an emergency or a fire, it would have a tragic ending.Special Features:
- Good but very loudcogmancDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food, original, well presented. We went on a Friday evening and the restaurant is quite popular. Given the acoustics, it is extremely loud. We had heard this ahead of time, so days ahead we reserved a table and requested a quieter setting. We were seated in the middle of two very large, loud groups. We politely asked if another table in a less noisy section might be possible. We were moved to the next room, again between two large, loud groups. Puzzling since there were several tables off to the side in a less noisy setting. We politely inquired but were told it wouldn't be any quieter. So just know, the food is great but if you want to talk, either plan to train your vocal cords ahead or select a different restaurant.Special Features:
- The Locallocalreview012Dined on 11/3/2014I've been going to the Local ever since it was built here in Charlottesville. My family and I love it, the service is outstanding and the environment is one of a kind. For a unique and not-so 'cookie-cutter' experience, you'll find it at the Local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understaffed / Allow time to parkFJL1Dined on 11/1/2014Food was good and fairly priced. Reservation was for 8:30 PM, we were not seated until 8:55 PM, seemed to have open tables, but not enough staff to clear them. Parking is available, but be prepared to walk a few blocks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We took out daughter and a friend here over parent's weekend for UVA. It was cozy and a great atmosphere. A little loud but that was ok. Food was good across the board. One dish was a little cold. Wine and drinks were fantastic. Steak was perfectly cooked. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LocalEmeraldDined on 11/1/2014Really nice "local" restaurant in Charlottesville, minutes from the UVA campus. Well known and loved; they were turning diners away as so crowded the night we dined. Food was really quite good. We had the short ribs and meatloaf and both were delicious. The service was fine and typical for a very crowded weekend night. Perfect for small groups and large alike. There is an upstairs larger seating area that has a different level of ambiance (almost cafeteria like) c/w the first floor area which is smaller and cozier. In warmer months there is outdoor seating upstairs, but the neighborhood view may not be the greatest. Despite this, we have found our go-to spot in Charlottesville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSpoonDined on 10/31/2014We returned to The Local this year and will not go back. From the minute we walked in the door the experience is disappointing. The hostess is disorganized, she disappeared and left 3 or 4 groups waiting. Once seated, we waited a long time for everything and the restaurant was not even full. Our food was not at all what I remember. We won't returnSpecial Features:
- Reliable, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/23/2014Fun spot with interesting wines. Good value. My husband's tenderloin was surprisingly overlooked, but he still said it was good. Everyone else raved about their food. Definitely a spot to return to.Special Features:
- very nice atmosphere and service.cdwhooDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant was jammed on Saturday night, but we were able to sit down immediately with a reservation. We got a great table in the front, looking out the window. The food and drink list was great and the service was very attentive. I especially liked the arancini. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy it2386Dined on 10/18/2014My meal was good if a little on the bland side. Short ribs were tender but required more salt than I'd have expected. Companions had the steak (all liked it very much) and gnocchi - delicious. Next time I'll get that. Nice wines. And they had gluten free menu options - please carry some GF beer as well. Especially in a college town where beer is the beverage of choice. Restaurant note: We arrived at the hostess stand a few minutes early for our 6:45 reservation. Very busy but not one of the 3 attendants there acknowledged us for at least 5 minutes. They stood there and had a heated conversation (about tables - they were solving some problem), but not once did any of them say "we'll be right with you" or anything! Very odd.Special Features:
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were in town for the weekend and heard The Local was a popular spot. What an understatement! The food and service were superb. The place was packed, but the staff managed the crowd with ease. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/17/2014We were celebrating our anniversary with another couple and had great food, drink and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingjoshcp84Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience this past Friday night even though the restaurant was jam packed. The staff was able to get us seated quickly since we had a reservation, which I would highly recommend that one be made at least a week prior to visiting. The food, service, and drinks were all phenomenal! The lobster mac and cheese was our favorite! We loved the selection of local wine and beer to choose from, as well as, the rustic and raw look of the inside of the restaurant. We will definitely be back when we visit Charlottesville again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jls5k0VIPDined on 10/16/2014The dishes were creative with lovely presentation. Our wait staff would benefit from more training and experience. I found the constant shuffling of chairs and setting up of tables during our meal a detractor. A lovely gem that could use some polishing. Local ingredients used creatively. I would return maybe for next season's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The crowds are rightAllisonDined on 10/4/2014I had, for some time, heard good things about the Local, but I only got around to going when I had guests visiting from out of town. We ordered a very broad range of dishes -- salmon, trout, steak frites, and spare ribs -- and they were all delicious. I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Awesome foodOutoftownerDined on 10/3/2014Food was awesome. Waitress was not good at all. She never refilled water glasses, had to ask for another drink from someone delivering food. She just came by to drop the check. Will eat there again, but ask for a different waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I was looking for a good spot to take my parents outside of the usual rambling of the downtown mall and the Local was a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, but small portionsFoodFanVIPDined on 9/27/2014The Local is located in a seedy part of town; not a desirable location and parking is a challenge. The building is run down and crowded, but the upper deck seating was decent. The waitress did a pretty good job and the music was held to a conversational level. The food was good; not great, but good. However, I left feeling quite hungry because the short ribs plate consisted of 2 lightly meaty ribs, 2 small carrots, 2 small boiled onions, and some rice. I'm not a big guy and I have a decent appetite and this did not satisfy. I recommend going elsewhere.Special Features:
- fresh and tasty at the LocalOnesarVIPDined on 9/26/2014We dined here before with a large group, and were seated in the "beauty shop" next door! Obviously it was a good experience because we chose to return ( we don't live in VA ).... this time bringing our parents and brother, all from out of state. We were pleased with each dish ordered. The salad was fresh and very good. The crispy shrimp appetizer provided us with 5 large shrimp and it was delicious! Salmon was amazing, light cream if you are worried and tons of black beans, a nice portion of the fish. Same w/the steak frites. The crab cake looked small but I heard no complaints and the beef carpaccio looked to be good as well. Drink menu was plentiful and all good. I will return again if in the area. Valet is available.Special Features:
- Meatloaf Was Awesome!fondoffoodDined on 9/25/2014Everything we had was good, but we can really recommend the local beers and the meatloaf!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food yes...serbive noivktDined on 9/17/2014Great food...service lacking that night and no explanations on delay of food or even just to say something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big city style in a small townOutandaboutDined on 9/13/2014The Local is dependably excellent. Food, service, and setting all work to bring a near perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingNotmeVIPDined on 9/13/2014As visitors to the area we have been dining at the Local once or twice a year for the past 5 years. During the past few years, we have found the food and service to be very good, but sometimes inconsistent. This past weekend was one of the times that the food and the service were great, even though two large wedding parties were going on upstairs. The four of us each had a great meal (one of us, a meatloaf aficionado, told his wife it was the best he'd ever eaten) and, despite the packed house, our service was prompt and attentive. It may be a bit before we are back in Charlottesville, but the Local will definitely get another visit. One note, the Local, unlike neighbors Tavola and Mas, takes reservations which is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Slammed in CharlottesvilleloueaterVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Local is routinely slammed. As the name implies, locally sourced foods are the "stars". Comfort food is the orientation. The indoor space is small and tables are crowded together. We waited for 15+ minutes to have our server appear for beverage orders and then another 15 + minutes for the beverages to appear. The restaurant was at fault for having too few servers for the level of business activity. Check out the "wines by the glass". No California, Oregon, Washington wines? Aren't American wines easier to obtain than those from Italy, South Africa, etc.? Think about the carbon footprint of California vs South Africa.Special Features:
- Reasonable, tasty and awesomeBrianvi670312Dined on 9/8/2014Great place, interesting selections, done perfectly. Affordable with great service. If I lived in C'ville it would be a regular stop.Special Features:
- Flavorful Plates!VDay2014Dined on 9/6/2014I love this restaurant. There is a great staff, delicious food, a great ambience, and lastly they have great drinks!! My wife and I had Southern Tier Pumking beer!! The greatest pumpkin beer ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, locally sourcedgreatVIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been to the Local several times now and are never disappointed with the food or our server. However, the front of the house was so disorganized and slow our last visit that there was a line outside the restaurant despite everyone having a reservation. The hostess also failed to check us in for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a family favoriteUVAfoodieDined on 9/5/2014We always look forward to dinner at The Local whenever we visit Charlottesville with family and friends. The farm to fork menu is fresh and delicious and there are several gluten-free options. The truffle pasta dishes are a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Local is great!CVilleFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The Local is my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville. I've never had a bad meal there. Great date spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner during our trip to Charlottesville. The food, atmosphere, and staff were great. Very celiac friendly to boot!Special Features:
- DisappointingRichmondDinerDined on 8/31/2014We dined at The Local on a Saturday night, with an 8pm reservation. The hostess stand was out of control, and we were not seated for nearly half an hour. Upon seating, my husband and I ordered an appetizer, salad and large pasta dish to share. Instead of bringing each course individually, the waitress brought everything at once. The two cold dishes were good, but the pasta bowl and food were so hot and glazed over that it was apparent it had been sitting under a warmer for a very long time. While we were dining, we witnessed inappropriate behavior among the staff, including touchy flirting and one waiter who threw something down the stairs at another waiter. We have enjoyed The Local in the past but will not return.Special Features:
- woodspriteVIPDined on 8/30/2014excellent!Best local food and local wine in many miles. Nice staff as well.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodjjuvaDined on 8/30/2014I had a group of four and we sat outside and upstairs on the deck. The weather was perfect and the service we received was great. I can't remember the waitress' name, but she was extremely nice and understanding when one of the meals we ordered was a little too dry for the person who ordered it. She gladly took it back and helped her order a different dish.Special Features:
- Great food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Everyone in our party of ten was pleased with their food. Service was good, even with two big wedding related groups in the back of the restaurant.Special Features: