824 Hinton Ave
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelocal-cville.com/
- Phone: 4349849749
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Local
Come visit and experience The Local! We believe everyone should experience meals that feature delicately prepared fresh local ingredients in a great atmosphere. In our corner of the world, everyone's a Local. EAT, DRINK, & BE LOCALContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Local - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
The Local reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (94)fit for foodies (80)great for outdoor dining (57)hot spot (41)special occasion (40)good for groups (39)notable wine list (36)romantic (33)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Reliable, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/23/2014Fun spot with interesting wines. Good value. My husband's tenderloin was surprisingly overlooked, but he still said it was good. Everyone else raved about their food. Definitely a spot to return to.Special Features:
- very nice atmosphere and service.cdwhooDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant was jammed on Saturday night, but we were able to sit down immediately with a reservation. We got a great table in the front, looking out the window. The food and drink list was great and the service was very attentive. I especially liked the arancini. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy it2386Dined on 10/18/2014My meal was good if a little on the bland side. Short ribs were tender but required more salt than I'd have expected. Companions had the steak (all liked it very much) and gnocchi - delicious. Next time I'll get that. Nice wines. And they had gluten free menu options - please carry some GF beer as well. Especially in a college town where beer is the beverage of choice. Restaurant note: We arrived at the hostess stand a few minutes early for our 6:45 reservation. Very busy but not one of the 3 attendants there acknowledged us for at least 5 minutes. They stood there and had a heated conversation (about tables - they were solving some problem), but not once did any of them say "we'll be right with you" or anything! Very odd.Special Features:
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were in town for the weekend and heard The Local was a popular spot. What an understatement! The food and service were superb. The place was packed, but the staff managed the crowd with ease. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/17/2014We were celebrating our anniversary with another couple and had great food, drink and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingjoshcp84Dined on 10/17/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our experience this past Friday night even though the restaurant was jam packed. The staff was able to get us seated quickly since we had a reservation, which I would highly recommend that one be made at least a week prior to visiting. The food, service, and drinks were all phenomenal! The lobster mac and cheese was our favorite! We loved the selection of local wine and beer to choose from, as well as, the rustic and raw look of the inside of the restaurant. We will definitely be back when we visit Charlottesville again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/16/2014The dishes were creative with lovely presentation. Our wait staff would benefit from more training and experience. I found the constant shuffling of chairs and setting up of tables during our meal a detractor. A lovely gem that could use some polishing. Local ingredients used creatively. I would return maybe for next season's menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The crowds are rightAllisonDined on 10/4/2014I had, for some time, heard good things about the Local, but I only got around to going when I had guests visiting from out of town. We ordered a very broad range of dishes -- salmon, trout, steak frites, and spare ribs -- and they were all delicious. I will certainly return.Special Features:
- Awesome foodOutoftownerDined on 10/3/2014Food was awesome. Waitress was not good at all. She never refilled water glasses, had to ask for another drink from someone delivering food. She just came by to drop the check. Will eat there again, but ask for a different waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I was looking for a good spot to take my parents outside of the usual rambling of the downtown mall and the Local was a great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, but small portionsFoodFanVIPDined on 9/27/2014The Local is located in a seedy part of town; not a desirable location and parking is a challenge. The building is run down and crowded, but the upper deck seating was decent. The waitress did a pretty good job and the music was held to a conversational level. The food was good; not great, but good. However, I left feeling quite hungry because the short ribs plate consisted of 2 lightly meaty ribs, 2 small carrots, 2 small boiled onions, and some rice. I'm not a big guy and I have a decent appetite and this did not satisfy. I recommend going elsewhere.Special Features:
- fresh and tasty at the LocalOnesarVIPDined on 9/26/2014We dined here before with a large group, and were seated in the "beauty shop" next door! Obviously it was a good experience because we chose to return ( we don't live in VA ).... this time bringing our parents and brother, all from out of state. We were pleased with each dish ordered. The salad was fresh and very good. The crispy shrimp appetizer provided us with 5 large shrimp and it was delicious! Salmon was amazing, light cream if you are worried and tons of black beans, a nice portion of the fish. Same w/the steak frites. The crab cake looked small but I heard no complaints and the beef carpaccio looked to be good as well. Drink menu was plentiful and all good. I will return again if in the area. Valet is available.Special Features:
- Meatloaf Was Awesome!fondoffoodDined on 9/25/2014Everything we had was good, but we can really recommend the local beers and the meatloaf!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food yes...serbive noivktDined on 9/17/2014Great food...service lacking that night and no explanations on delay of food or even just to say something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big city style in a small townOutandaboutDined on 9/13/2014The Local is dependably excellent. Food, service, and setting all work to bring a near perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingNotmeVIPDined on 9/13/2014As visitors to the area we have been dining at the Local once or twice a year for the past 5 years. During the past few years, we have found the food and service to be very good, but sometimes inconsistent. This past weekend was one of the times that the food and the service were great, even though two large wedding parties were going on upstairs. The four of us each had a great meal (one of us, a meatloaf aficionado, told his wife it was the best he'd ever eaten) and, despite the packed house, our service was prompt and attentive. It may be a bit before we are back in Charlottesville, but the Local will definitely get another visit. One note, the Local, unlike neighbors Tavola and Mas, takes reservations which is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- Slammed in CharlottesvilleloueaterVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Local is routinely slammed. As the name implies, locally sourced foods are the "stars". Comfort food is the orientation. The indoor space is small and tables are crowded together. We waited for 15+ minutes to have our server appear for beverage orders and then another 15 + minutes for the beverages to appear. The restaurant was at fault for having too few servers for the level of business activity. Check out the "wines by the glass". No California, Oregon, Washington wines? Aren't American wines easier to obtain than those from Italy, South Africa, etc.? Think about the carbon footprint of California vs South Africa.Special Features:
- Reasonable, tasty and awesomeBrianvi670312Dined on 9/8/2014Great place, interesting selections, done perfectly. Affordable with great service. If I lived in C'ville it would be a regular stop.Special Features:
- Flavorful Plates!VDay2014Dined on 9/6/2014I love this restaurant. There is a great staff, delicious food, a great ambience, and lastly they have great drinks!! My wife and I had Southern Tier Pumking beer!! The greatest pumpkin beer ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, locally sourcedgreatVIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been to the Local several times now and are never disappointed with the food or our server. However, the front of the house was so disorganized and slow our last visit that there was a line outside the restaurant despite everyone having a reservation. The hostess also failed to check us in for our reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a family favoriteUVAfoodieDined on 9/5/2014We always look forward to dinner at The Local whenever we visit Charlottesville with family and friends. The farm to fork menu is fresh and delicious and there are several gluten-free options. The truffle pasta dishes are a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Local is great!CVilleFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The Local is my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville. I've never had a bad meal there. Great date spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner during our trip to Charlottesville. The food, atmosphere, and staff were great. Very celiac friendly to boot!Special Features:
- DisappointingRichmondDinerDined on 8/31/2014We dined at The Local on a Saturday night, with an 8pm reservation. The hostess stand was out of control, and we were not seated for nearly half an hour. Upon seating, my husband and I ordered an appetizer, salad and large pasta dish to share. Instead of bringing each course individually, the waitress brought everything at once. The two cold dishes were good, but the pasta bowl and food were so hot and glazed over that it was apparent it had been sitting under a warmer for a very long time. While we were dining, we witnessed inappropriate behavior among the staff, including touchy flirting and one waiter who threw something down the stairs at another waiter. We have enjoyed The Local in the past but will not return.Special Features:
- woodspriteVIPDined on 8/30/2014excellent!Best local food and local wine in many miles. Nice staff as well.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodjjuvaDined on 8/30/2014I had a group of four and we sat outside and upstairs on the deck. The weather was perfect and the service we received was great. I can't remember the waitress' name, but she was extremely nice and understanding when one of the meals we ordered was a little too dry for the person who ordered it. She gladly took it back and helped her order a different dish.Special Features:
- Great food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Everyone in our party of ten was pleased with their food. Service was good, even with two big wedding related groups in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Fine dining in a great spotSEPeatsDined on 8/24/2014Everything from the attention we received upon stepping through the front door to the last drop of dessert was perfect. The food is locally and ethically sourced, and fantastic to boot. We dined upstairs on the balcony, so I really can't say what the noise level would be indoors. The only complaint was the lighting was a little too dark for me. I suppose that keeps insects away though! Go to The Local!Special Features:
- My favoriteajayjayDined on 8/23/2014The local never disappoints! Had an amazing meal with a friend who was visiting from out of town. The lobster mac and cheese was to die for!Special Features:
- great place, food needs to improvejay1VIPDined on 8/23/2014I have been before and the food was much better. I am not sure if the kitchen was too busy, but this time food was not good. Service was great.
- Poor service, cold foodAlexDined on 8/23/2014The meal started well- drinks and appetizers were great. Unfortunately, we waited over an hour for our main course without any explanation from or checking in by the waitstaff. When the food finally arrived, the main courses were cold, alternatively over- and under-cooked, and messily plated. Sauce was dripping off the plate, the potatoes were chalky mess, and where one duck platter had 3 very over cooked pieces, the other only had 2 small raw pieces. The cabbage "slaw" on top was just cabbage-- no dressing-- and the duck lacked any seasoning. This whole time we watched as a constant stream of people lined up to eat and the waiter and host spent more time helping them than serving the seated customers.Special Features:
- Never disappointed.TheHagansDined on 8/23/2014We go to the local as our monthly date night. This time we went with friends who had never been and wanted to celebrate their anniversary. They loved it. It's one of our top recommendations to friends. We love the location, the ambiance, the food, the wine, and the service is always awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice find in C-villeLuvsmallplaces4Dined on 8/19/2014Excellent food, respectable beer selection, relaxed atmosphere--solid restaurant with interesting menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumlicious!MotheroftheGroomDined on 8/16/2014They always say ask the locals where to eat so when they kept suggesting The Local we had to give it a try. Soup and entree were out of this world but save room for dessert! Must go place in CVille!Special Features:
- Great night for a special occasionDaveDined on 8/14/2014We went to the Local for a special evening out and had a memorable experience. The food, drink and wait staff were all exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LocalJeffDined on 8/2/2014Food is consistently good, service not as much. The food & ambiance will keep us coming back when visiting Charlottesville.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014It's all about experience, and my wife's and mine was utterly disappointing. From the start, we had a reservation but the line was out the door to simply check in. After we were seated, we were not given a drink menu. So when our waitress finally showed up after a lengthy wait, she gave us a drink menu and then disappeared for another long time. After she finally returned and took our full order, we didn't receive our drinks or salad for quite some time. The wine pours, especially the red, were so low it looked like I had half a glass. The caesar salad tasted like just mustard. The half chicken was good, but it did not come with items listed on the menu (no BE-peas, greens, and brown rice no pilaf). And again, our service was all waiting.
- Reservation for 3cberryDined on 8/2/2014Went to The Local after rave reviews from friends; didn't have a great experience. We made a reservation for 3 at 6:30 on Saturday, we were put at the very edge of the restaurant's outdoor seating, behind the valet parking guys, who were cursing and spitting through our entire dinner. We were practically on the sidewalk. Our distance from the rest of the restaurant even led our waiter to complain about it a few times. He also had us pay as soon as we received the bill, so he wouldn't need to walk back. Food: meatloaf was amazing, roasted squash was good but not filling, gnocchi was too rich and heavy. Needed to be paired with something light.Special Features:
- Sons birthdayTommyDined on 7/31/2014My wife and I wanted to take our son out to dinner for his 22nd birthday. He recently moved to Charlottesville for work so we asked him to pick a restaurant. He chose The Local and we drove down from Warrenton. We had a great time, loved the historical building, friendly staff and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ND VISITOlneyNeighborVIPDined on 7/30/2014We drove from Wintergreen to this restaurant and it took about an hour. Really not worth it. We were their previously and it was great, this time it was just fair. Will look for closer and better establishments next time.Special Features: