1602 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelobster.com/
- Phone: 3104589294
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday 11:30am – 10:00pm; Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Collin Crannell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday up to 50 people. Wednesday and Thursday up to 30 people. Friday and Saturday up to 22 people. Complete buyout of restaurant seven days a week.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel Rosen 3104589294
A word from The Lobster
The elevated restaurant has glass on three sides with a cantilevered, open-air deck that affords a 180° panoramic view of the Pacific and Palisades Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Lobster - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
The Lobster reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (191)special occasion (134)fit for foodies (84)romantic (77)great for lunch (72)hot spot (50)good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (47)notable wine list (45)great for brunch (41)neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (21)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (9)Show More
- geminigeminiDined on 8/31/2014Second time there and loved the food. Not your everyday clam chowder (great), spectacular soft shelled crab, and excellent seafood The view's okay and it's a bit crowded, not the most elegant (it doesn't need it) but it's the proximity location to Santa Monica Beach that shines. Great choice! Recommended. Bob MainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Santa Monica must-do!nrk1212Dined on 8/29/2014Great drinks and great food. Located right at the pier entry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Try the grilled lobster, outstanding. Would have loved a window seat, but everyone wants them. Great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Attentive staff & welcoming greeting at front door. Seating is rather tight & we could not help but bump into the guests seated at table behind ours... Really annoyed them. Knowledgable server w/ good service. Delicious lobster !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Visited the Lobster with friends. Front desk girl was not helpful. Did not seat us after we checked in. Our friends had already sat down before hand, therefor we walked and seated ourselves. Crab cake didn't have any taste. Same goes with the mussel and clams. Very bland flavor. Asked for refill on my lemonade and didn't get it. Only thing this restaurant has going for itself is the view. It's right on the beach and the setting is beautiful. I was not impressed with the food and the bill. Will not return.Special Features:
- great waiter serviceFrankShirtsVIPDined on 8/23/2014food was special for a very commercial place, Pleasantly surprised at the high level of food and serviceSpecial Features:
- GreatEikaDined on 8/23/2014View good the food good a bite dirty and they dhould change the quality of the forks!! But greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!wino2Dined on 8/23/2014I think the best thing about this restaurant is of course the view! It is a great people-watching restaurant. However, it does not over shadow the great menu and wine list. Always a great treat!Special Features:
- No Disappointment HereSqueegeelaDined on 8/17/2014We went here for a "big" birthday celebration. The view was spectacular as it was an incredible beautiful day. The ocean was glistening, the sailboats gliding across the water, and the food was spectacular like always. The service was great and our waiter was very attentive, as it was very crowded. I like the feeling of being able to "dine" which we did. There was no hurrying of any kind. It was just a perfect way to celebrate someone's 60th birthday! Thank you.Special Features:
- Great OverallBryanVIPDined on 8/17/2014We go to The Lobster several times a year for special occasions. Our server Marcel was friendly, attentive without being intrusive, and looks like a movie star. Several dishes were outstanding -- seafood enchiladas, black linguine with seafood, and scallops. Views of the ocean and Santa Monica pier can't be beat.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in Santa MonicagchardDined on 8/16/2014There are many fine restaurants in Santa Monica but by far The Lobster is the best. Always great service, always great food chooces and fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just lobsterAbsoluteRavingFanDined on 8/15/2014Right next to the pier, a great place for lunch. Great chowders and bisques, fresh oysters, and lobster several ways. We all got the lobster roll, and while the lobster was perfectly cooked, have never had a lobster roll that did not have some mayo concoction that the lobster was mixed in. The lobster was plain and served on top of a sort of slaw. Tasty but not a raving roll. Still would go back as the overall experience was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!SuzyQDined on 8/14/2014The Lobster really has the wow factor! Just a little bit cramped and noisy but top rate service! The food is beautifully presented, perfect portion sized and simply scrumptious! The lobster and crab cakes cannot be beat. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so muchBigwhoDined on 8/14/2014Service was slow and while the lobster tasted great the sides were not good overall not a good value for the prices they charge.Special Features:
- JenRecommendsVIPDined on 8/13/2014this place is spendy but the food quality is great. i was surprised actually, because this place was so close to the pier/touristy area, which is SF typically does not draw quality restaurants. But the service was very good, so was the food. We would return.Special Features:
- Music Biz GuyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Table Ready, Food terrific, very attentive servers, didn't rush us even though it was packed and we had an Ocean Table. Moderately priced, portions could have been a little larger and they could up-grade the bread basket.Special Features:
- georgeDined on 8/11/2014Primarily a high-end lobster specialty place but good (not wildly outstanding food otherwise) food. Good service, nice wine list. Casual. Will try lunch next time. Gets a little hectic when it fills up. $7 valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Great view, good food.WwwwDined on 8/11/2014Waiter was great! Food was just good. Ordered 2 grilled lobsters, one was obviously more fresh than the other. We were celebrating my mothers birthday and they 'comped' the dessert, yay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MasterNiaDined on 8/10/2014Great views great lobster and really good desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view of the pierOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/20145 of us had business in la and chose the place as a special bonding dinner. Great service good food but exceedingly noisy for late sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Touristy, a great restaurant !NatashaVIPDined on 8/8/2014Always blown away by the staff, servers. Management is solidly in the service mood, training shines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing Late Lunch.RetaildivaDined on 8/7/2014Booked a late lunch with work friends, none of us had been here. Food was fantastic, had the crab cakes. Also, great cocktails... Would go back for drinks alone! We ordered an appetizer and almost forgot we ordered food.... It took a little long to come out however, once we got our food it was amazing! Crab cakes are delish and perfect for lunch. We would all come back for sure.... Not a great place if your on a time schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book Club 5th Year CelebrationAnniversaryCoupleDined on 8/5/2014Arriving at The Lobster is special with the wonderful view of the Pacific Ocean and all its visitors. The window seat enchanted everyone and the salads were notably delicious. We had plenty of time to discuss our most recent book and share what's going on in our lives since no one rushed us in spite of a busy lunch time.Special Features:
- VacationTherealohdoublegDined on 8/4/2014Glad we chose this restaurant to spend our time in Santa Monica. We had a great meal, view and time at The Lobster.Special Features:
- Great service great foodMissT28Dined on 8/3/2014The ambience was beautiful. The server was great, the view was wonderful, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOnvacay61Dined on 8/2/2014The service was slow. The food mediocre. The General Manger was yelling at staff in the kitchen. Way overrated.
- Excellent service and foodSolitudeDined on 8/2/2014From the minute we entered the restaurant, the hosts were all very friendly funny and made us feel welcomed. Our server was excellent, food was great, got the house favorite. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LobsterSincere393Dined on 8/1/2014A little loud and the seating is pretty tight but overall great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the view not the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014Stale bread, empty water glasses, and so so seafood.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationsTravelbugDined on 7/28/2014We reserved the Lobster for my friend's birthday celebrations as it the location was fantastic. The food was superb, the ambience relaxed, yet vibrant and our waiter was phenomenal. All in all a fantastic treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 7/27/2014Requested a "perfect table" and we got it! Service was not quite up to par..she never brought the white wine bottle chiller holder. And, desserts arrived a bit delayed. Otherwise, food was great.Special Features:
- More lobster pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Great service from very attentive waiter, but very little lobster in the lobster salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Quite a scenic view. The apps were delicious, but we were disappointed in our lobsters. Not only was most of the lobster over-cooked, it turned out to be extremely expensive for what little edible portion was offered.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We truly enjoyed our visit. The view was fantastic and the food was incredible! The staff were very accommodating and worked to provide everything that we wanted and needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful viewDonnaDined on 7/20/2014We got there 1/2 hour late due to traffic! The manager said if we could wait 25 minutes, he would fit us in. He did fit us in in 25 minutes, so that was good. Since the restaurant is close to the SM pier, a lot of people were hanging around, I think, to use the bathroom. Since the bar was full we waited outside with all the Pier people which were kind of strange. The food was good, the service was decent and the view was spectacular. It was a Sunday night and busy, so I take that into account. I will go back and give it another try. We have been there once before and it was excellent. What is great about the restaurant is the location and that is what is also bad because you have the SM pier hanger-outers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!Sumwine98VIPDined on 7/20/2014Perfect place to watch the sunset. Food is always consistent and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a friendCrabcakeloverDined on 7/17/2014I went to the Lobster with a friend from our of town and we had a great experience. The servers were super friendly and attentive and the food was yummy, but slightly pricey. My only complaint was that the calamari was over-breaded/fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub-par lobsterLoves2travelDined on 7/16/2014We wanted to splurge on a nice lobster dinner on our vacation and we paid for a nice lobster dinner but the broiled lobster that I got was a fluffy consistency. Almost like moose. Very strange. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/16/2014Only objection to our visit was the cost of parking, after spending $60 for lunch for two,having to pay $7.00 for parking doesn't make sense?Special Features:
- Average tourist trapPaulRoddersLaverDined on 7/15/2014Lobster and food fine; greeted well; nice view. But little charm or authenticity to service delivery albeit professional. Just didn't love it ... Sorry ... But it is what it is... Ok