1602 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelobster.com/
- Phone: 3104589294
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday 11:30am – 10:00pm; Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Collin Crannell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday up to 50 people. Wednesday and Thursday up to 30 people. Friday and Saturday up to 22 people. Complete buyout of restaurant seven days a week.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel Rosen 3104589294
A word from The Lobster
The elevated restaurant has glass on three sides with a cantilevered, open-air deck that affords a 180° panoramic view of the Pacific and Palisades Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Lobster - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
The Lobster reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (176)special occasion (132)fit for foodies (91)great for lunch (75)romantic (75)hot spot (60)good for groups (51)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (41)notable wine list (39)great for brunch (33)great for outdoor dining (16)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (10)Show More
- Gorgeous view, too expensiveMojoVIPDined on 10/20/2014Drop dead stunning view, good quality food but extremely overpriced. You are definitely paying for the view. Be prepared to pay an additional $7 for parking, even with validation. Great spot for a special occasion. Too expensive for an ordinary night out to dinner (even for a foodie like myself) as there are plenty of other local seafood restaurants in the neighborhood who offer great food with a much lower priced menu.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryDined on 10/16/2014Our three kids bought dinner here as a gift for us for our 30th Anniversary and it was a wonderful night! From the time we arrived, everyone wished us a happy anniversary and made our evening so special. We started in the bat and I wasn't sure what to order. The bartender suggested a mojito, so I afreed. When we were at our table, he came over to make sure I was happy with the drink. That is service.Special Features:
- The LobsterMarciaDined on 10/14/2014We came for a special occasion and to have a lobster dinner. We were taken to table with a great view and service was good. The boiled lobster was good but not great. The side dishes were OK and were left on the plate. A dessert was complimentary which was very nice but tasted just OK and not worth eating. We ordered off the dessert menu. The chocolate pudding was very good but the bread pudding wasn't. Our overall experience was very nice.Special Features:
- Amazingluv4foodDined on 10/12/2014I have visited Santa Monica Pier many of times and I have always wanted to go here. My mom was with me and it was her birthday so I took a stab the day before on a reservation. We got one for sunset and man can I say it was soectacular! The waiter, the lobster, the cheesecake mousse, and of course the wine was terrific all the way around! I could not be happier and I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The LobsterGaleVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great meal. Had the chilled seafood platter and it was well worth the price. The clam chowder is unique and like no other I've ever had. Simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureDesertTraveler2Dined on 10/11/2014I took two business associates visiting from out of the country. The Lobster never fails to impress with the view and excellent food.Special Features:
- Great seafood and nice viewsBebehoffDined on 10/10/2014First time dining and went on a recommendation from a friend. We decided on a late afternoon lunch and the place was busy. Food was wonderful and the wait staff were friendly. We shared several dishes, including the lobster salad which was lite but had generous portion of sweet lobster! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the service levelTorontofoodieDined on 10/8/2014The staff treated us like royalty from the time we got there until the time we left.Special Features:
- Delicious locationjnnttDined on 10/7/2014Most of the time when a restaurant has a view like this one, the food quality has a lot to be desired. The Lobster is both delicious and they have turned sunset into an event. Impeccable service and delicious eats. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014Excellent food, superior service, great sunset view of the Pacific. Will visit again next time in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning views, delicious foodCityGalDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I took our two young daughters for lunch here last weekend on our lady day of vacay in the area. Our host and waiter were friendly and accommodating. Our waiter assisted with wine and food recommendations. Our eldest daughter chose her meal from their children's menu (shrimp and potato purée) – which she loved. My husband and I shared the oyster sampler to start. He ordered the Lobster Roll and I had the seared sea scallops for our mains. Everything was delicious! And, the views from the restaurant are stunning! I'd highly recommend The Lobster to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VISTA STUPENDAgaetanor6Dined on 10/3/2014Ottimo ristorante . Cibo buono e vista stupenda. L'aragosta un po' cara ma neanche molto. La vista e' forse una delle piu' belle di Santa Monica. Lo consiglio. Ottimo anche il salmone Vino un po' caro.Special Features:
- It's greatbecominghousetrainedDined on 10/3/2014I always enjoy my meals at Lobster. The food is great and the service very very good.Special Features:
- Excellent Food With a Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014I've been to The Lobster many times and am increasingly impressed with the food. This time we had the crab cakes, which were superb. I couldn't finish mine and my friend ate only half of hers, so small eaters might consider the appetizer portion. The salad (Little Gems) was great, as were the raw clams. My only complaint was that the service wasn't as attentive as it might have been, possibly because our table was so hard to access. It would be great if the tables were spaced further apart--the close proximity makes the experience louder, warmer and more uncomfortable than it should be. But I'm sure that would never happen, as it would cut into the restaurant's profits.Special Features:
- Love itchefpalisadesDined on 9/30/2014This is a great restaurant we go to for special occasions. Excellent +++++Special Features:
- Wonderful!!eat4funDined on 9/29/2014Our two Lobsters were cooked to perfection! Service was attentive but not overdone = very important! Entire staff is friendly, not stuffy for an upscale restaurant. My two sisters hadn't dined here before this day and look forward to a repeat. A memorable and enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudeDined on 9/26/2014We always enjoy thE LOBSTER Restaurant. The steamed lobster and the Lobster roll are the best around and my husband always orders the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 87 yo Mom's birthdayShellGameDined on 9/22/2014We have visited The Lobster every year or so for the past 10+/- years and I am pleased to say every time it was a great experience. Mom likes the scallops and while some might like the pork belly addition we think they stand on their own. I had the crab cakes and a great kale/vegetable salad. Both delish.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationSolomonkeyDined on 9/21/2014We were looking for good seafood and we found exactly what we wanted and much more! Everything was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lobster -Impressive!PamBaker91423VIPDined on 9/19/2014Love taking clients to The Lobster...always perfect! Had an amazing salad and split a lobster with a co-worker. The perfect lunch meeting! Great food --wonderful service...amazing location.Special Features:
- Holiday Dinnertjdinning14Dined on 9/14/2014Attempted to dine Friday night for dinner for two without a reservation, advised by front desk staff that there would be a one and one half hour wait for a table. Dined elsewhere. Booked on line for Saturday night and when arrived at restaurant advised by front desk staff that table was not ready and given the option of waiting in the bar. One hour later table became available. Staff did approach us twice during the wait to offer a less appealing table, we declined the offer. Food was good, service fine. A very nice venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it4UmarlotDined on 9/14/2014Grilled Lobster is my favorite and they make it super!Special Features:
- Great food & positionTezzaDined on 9/14/2014We are from Australia &have been to this Restaurant many times. The quality of food & service was again excellent. The view is a bonus if you get a front table which we did Would recommend to allSpecial Features:
- Oysters, Lobster & and a view!CulvercityDined on 9/13/2014We came here to celebrate hubby's birthday. The view is spectacular, and the service was impeccable from host to waiter to busboy. We started with cocktails and raw oysters which were perfectly fresh and delicious, at decent prices. We had lobster salads, and fresh whole lobster - quite delicious. Although, I think I would skip the salad, and go straight for the steamed 2 lb lobster next time. The host came by our table to make sure we were happy with our meals. They then proceeded to bring a lovely dessert with a candle for hubby. We enjoyed coffee while the sun set over a perfect evening.Special Features:
- ReviewSWEDESDined on 9/11/2014Very good food and wine! Good service! Firstclass view of the ocean! Noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The LobsterADGrisarFoodieDined on 9/11/2014For a recent 1st date I decided to go to The Lobster for dinner. I had heard good things, but as a foodie I wanted to see (and taste) for myself. We had wine, oysters, a 3 1/2 lb. Mexican lobster, grilled asparagus and Yukon mashed potatoes. Our server, Paul, was absolutely on point! He was friendly, suggestive and never pushy. I took his recommendations and it surely paid off! Everything was excellent! Only negative, my date was a complete disaster... But I can't blame the restaurant for that. I highly recommend The Lobster and look forward to bringing family and/or friends for the next visit.Special Features:
- Birthday 91f5troubleDined on 9/11/2014I took my mother here for her 91st birthday. She always orders the crab enchiladas, as we have been coming here for several years. They must have a different chef. The presentation of the food was different, and I noticed some items on the menu that I have never seen (papadrelle pasta). My mother told me later that she did not like her meal; the food wasn't seasoned enough. I felt the same about my meal. Otherwise, everything else was wonderful (service, ambiance, great wine list, friendliness of all the staff). It is great to see one of our favorite servers is still there!Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014I did back to back visits to Water Grill and The Lobster and it was no contest. The Lobster blew Water Grill away on all food, setting and service. It was delightful (although the lobster definitely ain't cheap).Special Features:
- Go To for out of towners.SfdinerDined on 9/10/2014This is my go to place for guests visiting. A little touristy location but once your seated and enjoining the view and food you forget the crowds outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicePhantomDined on 9/9/2014The food is very good and the service is better. Highly recemmendedSpecial Features:
- Delightful Dining ExperienceGoodFortuneDined on 9/7/2014Yummy food, warm and attentive service, a view that made us feel like we were on vacation even though home was only a few miles away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gorgeous viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We were lucky to be seated by the window, otherwise, you'd feel cramped. Oysters & lobsters were delicious but my 9 & 12 yr old seafood eating kids did not appreciate their clam chowder for its unusual taste and devoid of clams - zero, nil, nada!. It's only $6 (kids' menu), but if it was indicated that there are no clams, they would have ordered the adults chowder. We take our kids dining frequently and this is a not a kid-friendly restaurant in my opinion. I had hoped they had small portions of the adults ...Need to add variety in the kids' menu. However, my 12 yo devoured 2 orders of raw oysters. It was, indeed, delicious. I'd go back just for the oysters. Great service, btw, and hosts are friendly & charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- geminigeminiDined on 8/31/2014Second time there and loved the food. Not your everyday clam chowder (great), spectacular soft shelled crab, and excellent seafood The view's okay and it's a bit crowded, not the most elegant (it doesn't need it) but it's the proximity location to Santa Monica Beach that shines. Great choice! Recommended. Bob MainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It hasn't changed!!!!HulaGirlDined on 8/30/2014I haven't dined here in a few years since I moved farther East to Riverside Co. A friend was out from Texas and wanted to eat 'at the beach'. I immediately thought of Lobster since it sits 'high' and a great view of the Sta. Monica Pier and beach. The day was gorgeous and we had a wonderful table (as requested!). She ordered the lobster roll and I had the lobster citrus salad. Both were wonderful! She ordered the 3 berry crisp with ice cream to finish and although I only had 3 bites, it was 'to die for'!!! Glad I decided on Lobster. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Santa Monica must-do!nrk1212Dined on 8/29/2014Great drinks and great food. Located right at the pier entry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lobsterTerryDined on 8/29/2014Try the grilled lobster, outstanding. Would have loved a window seat, but everyone wants them. Great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Attentive staff & welcoming greeting at front door. Seating is rather tight & we could not help but bump into the guests seated at table behind ours... Really annoyed them. Knowledgable server w/ good service. Delicious lobster !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great afternoonmsannethropeDined on 8/25/2014we went for lunch at 1 p.m. on a monday, 8/25/14, and the restaurant was not at all crowded. i had requested a north-sided table when i made my online reservation, to avoid direct sun glare, and we were accommodated at a perfect booth. we explained to our server that we were getting together for the first time since high school, a long, long time ago, and he could not have been kinder. i am so sorry that i do not remember his name. we ended up being there for 4 hours, and had a delightful time. he never rushed us, and stood and chatted with us for just the right amount of time. the drinks were great (very spicy bloody mary) and the food was great. we had a marvelous time, and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Visited the Lobster with friends. Front desk girl was not helpful. Did not seat us after we checked in. Our friends had already sat down before hand, therefor we walked and seated ourselves. Crab cake didn't have any taste. Same goes with the mussel and clams. Very bland flavor. Asked for refill on my lemonade and didn't get it. Only thing this restaurant has going for itself is the view. It's right on the beach and the setting is beautiful. I was not impressed with the food and the bill. Will not return.Special Features:
- great waiter serviceFrankShirtsVIPDined on 8/23/2014food was special for a very commercial place, Pleasantly surprised at the high level of food and serviceSpecial Features: