1602 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelobster.com/
- Phone: (310) 458-9294
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday 11:30am – 10:00pm; Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Collin Crannell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday up to 50 people. Wednesday and Thursday up to 30 people. Friday and Saturday up to 22 people. Complete buyout of restaurant seven days a week.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel Rosen 3104589294
A word from The Lobster
The elevated restaurant has glass on three sides with a cantilevered, open-air deck that affords a 180° panoramic view of the Pacific and Palisades Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Lobster - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
The Lobster reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (161)special occasion (128)fit for foodies (95)romantic (74)great for lunch (71)hot spot (59)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (50)notable wine list (40)vibrant bar scene (37)great for brunch (32)great for outdoor dining (19)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (9)Show More
- Brunch with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014The Lobster is our "go to" place when friends come to LA. This time it was just my husband and me celebrating his birthday. The calamari and prawns appetizer is our favorite. It comes with a variety of dips. We gave a 4 for food this time because the crab and arugula salad, although fresh and delicious, had so much arugula in comparison to the other ingredients. Every time before we would have given a 5. Our server was very helpful and assisted with allergy concerns. We will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall it was good but a bit over pricedFoodiefootieDined on 11/20/2014A busy restaurant. Lobster was great. We had the grilled American lobster in 3lbs. The mussels and clams were popular as I could see everyone was ordering it but it just tasted ok. The sides were not as good as we expected. Overall experience was average. The staff was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Crab & Shrimp Louie in Los Angeles!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014Don't even think of going anywhere else for a beautiful, relaxed lunch of fresh seafood salads, fresh sour dough bread and special desserts.Special Features:
- Special Occasions Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014I came to The Lobster for a work dinner. The service was excellent and views were fantastic of the Santa Monica pier and Ocean Ave. Everyone in my party loved their food. I would highly recommend the restaurant for special occasions!Special Features:
- Has Never FailedAwesomenessDined on 11/9/2014Although there was a mis-communication between the hostess and the server and it took about 15 to get a waiter, ( which has never happend) he certainly made up for it with his great customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Checker1Dined on 11/9/2014Great Food! The perfect place for Lobster Lovers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening for a birthday dinnerdrr62Dined on 11/8/2014Took my daughter there for her birthday and we had a great time. Meal and service were great and as we had arrived earlier than our reservation time, they seated us within a few minutes after we arrived. Would go again as the place has local charm and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Fare and ExperienceShaHussainDined on 11/4/2014When we arrived we were whisked to a table which didn't have a view of the pier, in fact we were hidden in a corner next to where the waiters huddle in between serving. I had the shrimp cocktail to start, this dish was tasteless. for main we ordered the seafood linguine in black squid ink tagliatele pasta. This was also a dissapoinment, lack of flavour and kick. It had all the ingredients but just put together in a hurry. It took less around 10 minutes for the appetisers to arrive and less than 5 for the main courses. We then prececed to order desert and this arrvies in 3 minutes and 47 seconds. Yes, we timed the last course:) The whole experience lasted just over an hour for 3 courses - very poor standard!!!
- Great view and foodLocalDined on 11/4/2014Santa Monica natives, my friend decided to celebrate her 50 th birthday here . ocean and pier view were great.The blue cheese salad was split for us and amazing!! 2 of us had lobsters and 1 had salmon. Everything was great, except for when the bill came! We were shocked to see our $463 bill. I had anticipated $300 range. We read on the menu $40 lobster, it meant per pound? It didn't state that, atleast I never saw it? embarrassed, I inquired, server said he told us it was per pound, something I never heard either nor did my friends? The menu should state "ask," or leave number off the menu. B day desert was also charged, just rude, Especially after our inquiry.$9.00 for your chocolate birthday desert?Maybe our 60th will be at Bubba Gump.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Again!GdelpasaVIPDined on 11/2/2014Always a treasure, and pleasant to come back to. Great views, pleasant service staff, great greetings at the door. Plus the salads and oysters are great with a lovely white wine!Special Features:
- You cannot go wrong with this onecarnivore24Dined on 11/1/2014This is a fantastic restaurant on every single aspect. I would definitely come back for casual or special events.Special Features:
- Love the location, abiance and foodTravelorDined on 10/31/2014Really good food and location. Staff really friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must when in Santa MonicaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014With superb views over Santa Monica Pier and the ocean, delicious food especially for overs of seafood and attentive service this is a must for dinner when you are in Santa Monica.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean DiningJP11Dined on 10/28/2014The Lobster provides a great seafood dinner with a great view of the Santa Monica pier, the ocean and the coast line. The service is top notch with great food and a good wine list. You won't be disappointed with the view or the food.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJMac6Dined on 10/26/2014We were greeted by the hostess we actually arrived 15 minutes early and they went ahead and sat us down right away. Hostess was great she had had great vibes. We then were seated it did take about 10 minutes for a server to come over and ask us if we needed our drinks. We then finally got our drinks and the server who brought us our drink wasn't our actual server. It seemed as if our server had to many guests seated. We then got our appetizer (Calamari & Prawns) which came out pretty quick. We then enjoyed that then we were helped by our actual server and placed our entrees. The shellfish black linguine pasta was sooo delicious! Overall was great just wished our server was a little more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seat in the houseAnniversaryDined on 10/25/2014We reserved a window seat, we had a great waiter, ordered the Bar-b-que Salmon and the California spineless lobster, Lobster mashed potatoes, 2 Cesar salads and everything was delicious food. Order the house wine which was delicious as well. Our bill for a 2 party was $224.00 including the tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome TimeCGoldieDined on 10/23/2014Wonderful Staff, beautiful view and amazing food!!!! Everyone that we encountered was very friendly and went out of their way to make the evening lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hz90404Dined on 10/23/2014The grilled lobster was a bit pricey but delicious. The crab cakes were great as well. probbaly the best i have ever had; all crab meat, no fillers like many other places. I will definitely be back to try other dishes on the menu. And you cannot beat the view . . . I highly recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous view, too expensiveMojoVIPDined on 10/20/2014Drop dead stunning view, good quality food but extremely overpriced. You are definitely paying for the view. Be prepared to pay an additional $7 for parking, even with validation. Great spot for a special occasion. Too expensive for an ordinary night out to dinner (even for a foodie like myself) as there are plenty of other local seafood restaurants in the neighborhood who offer great food with a much lower priced menu.Special Features:
- Great place but tight seating..luv4allfoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014Overall a great dining experience in terms of food quality and service however the tables are packed in like sardines so holding a private conversation is impossible. Go for the wonderful views and great food just be prepared to sit on top of your neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great at sunsetdaniferroDined on 10/18/2014We booked a table so we could watch the sunset. Unfortunately we did not eat the lobster, but its presentation was fantastic. The service was impecable.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We got there early to catch sunset. Got the best table there for a view of the pier and beach. Oyster sample, lobster salad, seafood pasta - all very fresh tasting. Our waiter knew we were in no hurry and served us accordingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerAnniversaryDined on 10/16/2014Our three kids bought dinner here as a gift for us for our 30th Anniversary and it was a wonderful night! From the time we arrived, everyone wished us a happy anniversary and made our evening so special. We started in the bat and I wasn't sure what to order. The bartender suggested a mojito, so I afreed. When we were at our table, he came over to make sure I was happy with the drink. That is service.Special Features:
- The LobsterMarciaDined on 10/14/2014We came for a special occasion and to have a lobster dinner. We were taken to table with a great view and service was good. The boiled lobster was good but not great. The side dishes were OK and were left on the plate. A dessert was complimentary which was very nice but tasted just OK and not worth eating. We ordered off the dessert menu. The chocolate pudding was very good but the bread pudding wasn't. Our overall experience was very nice.Special Features:
- Amazingluv4foodDined on 10/12/2014I have visited Santa Monica Pier many of times and I have always wanted to go here. My mom was with me and it was her birthday so I took a stab the day before on a reservation. We got one for sunset and man can I say it was soectacular! The waiter, the lobster, the cheesecake mousse, and of course the wine was terrific all the way around! I could not be happier and I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The LobsterGaleVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great meal. Had the chilled seafood platter and it was well worth the price. The clam chowder is unique and like no other I've ever had. Simply wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a PleasureDesertTraveler2Dined on 10/11/2014I took two business associates visiting from out of the country. The Lobster never fails to impress with the view and excellent food.Special Features:
- Great seafood and nice viewsBebehoffDined on 10/10/2014First time dining and went on a recommendation from a friend. We decided on a late afternoon lunch and the place was busy. Food was wonderful and the wait staff were friendly. We shared several dishes, including the lobster salad which was lite but had generous portion of sweet lobster! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the service levelTorontofoodieDined on 10/8/2014The staff treated us like royalty from the time we got there until the time we left.Special Features:
- Delicious locationjnnttDined on 10/7/2014Most of the time when a restaurant has a view like this one, the food quality has a lot to be desired. The Lobster is both delicious and they have turned sunset into an event. Impeccable service and delicious eats. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014Excellent food, superior service, great sunset view of the Pacific. Will visit again next time in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning views, delicious foodCityGalDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I took our two young daughters for lunch here last weekend on our lady day of vacay in the area. Our host and waiter were friendly and accommodating. Our waiter assisted with wine and food recommendations. Our eldest daughter chose her meal from their children's menu (shrimp and potato purée) – which she loved. My husband and I shared the oyster sampler to start. He ordered the Lobster Roll and I had the seared sea scallops for our mains. Everything was delicious! And, the views from the restaurant are stunning! I'd highly recommend The Lobster to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VISTA STUPENDAgaetanor6Dined on 10/3/2014Ottimo ristorante . Cibo buono e vista stupenda. L'aragosta un po' cara ma neanche molto. La vista e' forse una delle piu' belle di Santa Monica. Lo consiglio. Ottimo anche il salmone Vino un po' caro.Special Features:
- It's greatbecominghousetrainedDined on 10/3/2014I always enjoy my meals at Lobster. The food is great and the service very very good.Special Features:
- Excellent Food With a Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014I've been to The Lobster many times and am increasingly impressed with the food. This time we had the crab cakes, which were superb. I couldn't finish mine and my friend ate only half of hers, so small eaters might consider the appetizer portion. The salad (Little Gems) was great, as were the raw clams. My only complaint was that the service wasn't as attentive as it might have been, possibly because our table was so hard to access. It would be great if the tables were spaced further apart--the close proximity makes the experience louder, warmer and more uncomfortable than it should be. But I'm sure that would never happen, as it would cut into the restaurant's profits.Special Features:
- Love itchefpalisadesDined on 9/30/2014This is a great restaurant we go to for special occasions. Excellent +++++Special Features:
- Wonderful!!eat4funDined on 9/29/2014Our two Lobsters were cooked to perfection! Service was attentive but not overdone = very important! Entire staff is friendly, not stuffy for an upscale restaurant. My two sisters hadn't dined here before this day and look forward to a repeat. A memorable and enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudeDined on 9/26/2014We always enjoy thE LOBSTER Restaurant. The steamed lobster and the Lobster roll are the best around and my husband always orders the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 87 yo Mom's birthdayShellGameDined on 9/22/2014We have visited The Lobster every year or so for the past 10+/- years and I am pleased to say every time it was a great experience. Mom likes the scallops and while some might like the pork belly addition we think they stand on their own. I had the crab cakes and a great kale/vegetable salad. Both delish.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationSolomonkeyDined on 9/21/2014We were looking for good seafood and we found exactly what we wanted and much more! Everything was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.