1602 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelobster.com/
- Phone: 3104589294
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday – Thursday 11:30am – 10:00pm; Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Collin Crannell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday up to 50 people. Wednesday and Thursday up to 30 people. Friday and Saturday up to 22 people. Complete buyout of restaurant seven days a week.
- Private Party Contact: Laurel Rosen 3104589294
A word from The Lobster
The elevated restaurant has glass on three sides with a cantilevered, open-air deck that affords a 180° panoramic view of the Pacific and Palisades Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Lobster - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
The Lobster reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (189)special occasion (131)fit for foodies (84)great for lunch (78)romantic (75)hot spot (54)good for groups (49)notable wine list (45)vibrant bar scene (44)neighborhood gem (41)great for brunch (36)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (9)Show More
- Holiday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Attempted to dine Friday night for dinner for two without a reservation, advised by front desk staff that there would be a one and one half hour wait for a table. Dined elsewhere. Booked on line for Saturday night and when arrived at restaurant advised by front desk staff that table was not ready and given the option of waiting in the bar. One hour later table became available. Staff did approach us twice during the wait to offer a less appealing table, we declined the offer. Food was good, service fine. A very nice venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it4UmarlotDined on 9/14/2014Grilled Lobster is my favorite and they make it super!Special Features:
- Great food & positionTezzaDined on 9/14/2014We are from Australia &have been to this Restaurant many times. The quality of food & service was again excellent. The view is a bonus if you get a front table which we did Would recommend to allSpecial Features:
- Oysters, Lobster & and a view!CulvercityDined on 9/13/2014We came here to celebrate hubby's birthday. The view is spectacular, and the service was impeccable from host to waiter to busboy. We started with cocktails and raw oysters which were perfectly fresh and delicious, at decent prices. We had lobster salads, and fresh whole lobster - quite delicious. Although, I think I would skip the salad, and go straight for the steamed 2 lb lobster next time. The host came by our table to make sure we were happy with our meals. They then proceeded to bring a lovely dessert with a candle for hubby. We enjoyed coffee while the sun set over a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Dinner at The LobsterADGrisarFoodieDined on 9/11/2014For a recent 1st date I decided to go to The Lobster for dinner. I had heard good things, but as a foodie I wanted to see (and taste) for myself. We had wine, oysters, a 3 1/2 lb. Mexican lobster, grilled asparagus and Yukon mashed potatoes. Our server, Paul, was absolutely on point! He was friendly, suggestive and never pushy. I took his recommendations and it surely paid off! Everything was excellent! Only negative, my date was a complete disaster... But I can't blame the restaurant for that. I highly recommend The Lobster and look forward to bringing family and/or friends for the next visit.Special Features:
- GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014I did back to back visits to Water Grill and The Lobster and it was no contest. The Lobster blew Water Grill away on all food, setting and service. It was delightful (although the lobster definitely ain't cheap).Special Features:
- Go To for out of towners.SfdinerDined on 9/10/2014This is my go to place for guests visiting. A little touristy location but once your seated and enjoining the view and food you forget the crowds outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicePhantomDined on 9/9/2014The food is very good and the service is better. Highly recemmendedSpecial Features:
- Delightful Dining ExperienceGoodFortuneDined on 9/7/2014Yummy food, warm and attentive service, a view that made us feel like we were on vacation even though home was only a few miles away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gorgeous viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We were lucky to be seated by the window, otherwise, you'd feel cramped. Oysters & lobsters were delicious but my 9 & 12 yr old seafood eating kids did not appreciate their clam chowder for its unusual taste and devoid of clams - zero, nil, nada!. It's only $6 (kids' menu), but if it was indicated that there are no clams, they would have ordered the adults chowder. We take our kids dining frequently and this is a not a kid-friendly restaurant in my opinion. I had hoped they had small portions of the adults ...Need to add variety in the kids' menu. However, my 12 yo devoured 2 orders of raw oysters. It was, indeed, delicious. I'd go back just for the oysters. Great service, btw, and hosts are friendly & charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- geminigeminiDined on 8/31/2014Second time there and loved the food. Not your everyday clam chowder (great), spectacular soft shelled crab, and excellent seafood The view's okay and it's a bit crowded, not the most elegant (it doesn't need it) but it's the proximity location to Santa Monica Beach that shines. Great choice! Recommended. Bob MainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It hasn't changed!!!!HulaGirlDined on 8/30/2014I haven't dined here in a few years since I moved farther East to Riverside Co. A friend was out from Texas and wanted to eat 'at the beach'. I immediately thought of Lobster since it sits 'high' and a great view of the Sta. Monica Pier and beach. The day was gorgeous and we had a wonderful table (as requested!). She ordered the lobster roll and I had the lobster citrus salad. Both were wonderful! She ordered the 3 berry crisp with ice cream to finish and although I only had 3 bites, it was 'to die for'!!! Glad I decided on Lobster. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Santa Monica must-do!nrk1212Dined on 8/29/2014Great drinks and great food. Located right at the pier entry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lobsterTerryDined on 8/29/2014Try the grilled lobster, outstanding. Would have loved a window seat, but everyone wants them. Great dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Attentive staff & welcoming greeting at front door. Seating is rather tight & we could not help but bump into the guests seated at table behind ours... Really annoyed them. Knowledgable server w/ good service. Delicious lobster !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great afternoonmsannethropeDined on 8/25/2014we went for lunch at 1 p.m. on a monday, 8/25/14, and the restaurant was not at all crowded. i had requested a north-sided table when i made my online reservation, to avoid direct sun glare, and we were accommodated at a perfect booth. we explained to our server that we were getting together for the first time since high school, a long, long time ago, and he could not have been kinder. i am so sorry that i do not remember his name. we ended up being there for 4 hours, and had a delightful time. he never rushed us, and stood and chatted with us for just the right amount of time. the drinks were great (very spicy bloody mary) and the food was great. we had a marvelous time, and would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Visited the Lobster with friends. Front desk girl was not helpful. Did not seat us after we checked in. Our friends had already sat down before hand, therefor we walked and seated ourselves. Crab cake didn't have any taste. Same goes with the mussel and clams. Very bland flavor. Asked for refill on my lemonade and didn't get it. Only thing this restaurant has going for itself is the view. It's right on the beach and the setting is beautiful. I was not impressed with the food and the bill. Will not return.Special Features:
- great waiter serviceFrankShirtsVIPDined on 8/23/2014food was special for a very commercial place, Pleasantly surprised at the high level of food and serviceSpecial Features:
- GreatEikaDined on 8/23/2014View good the food good a bite dirty and they dhould change the quality of the forks!! But greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!wino2Dined on 8/23/2014I think the best thing about this restaurant is of course the view! It is a great people-watching restaurant. However, it does not over shadow the great menu and wine list. Always a great treat!Special Features:
- No Disappointment HereSqueegeelaDined on 8/17/2014We went here for a "big" birthday celebration. The view was spectacular as it was an incredible beautiful day. The ocean was glistening, the sailboats gliding across the water, and the food was spectacular like always. The service was great and our waiter was very attentive, as it was very crowded. I like the feeling of being able to "dine" which we did. There was no hurrying of any kind. It was just a perfect way to celebrate someone's 60th birthday! Thank you.Special Features:
- Great OverallBryanVIPDined on 8/17/2014We go to The Lobster several times a year for special occasions. Our server Marcel was friendly, attentive without being intrusive, and looks like a movie star. Several dishes were outstanding -- seafood enchiladas, black linguine with seafood, and scallops. Views of the ocean and Santa Monica pier can't be beat.Special Features:
- Best Seafood in Santa MonicagchardDined on 8/16/2014There are many fine restaurants in Santa Monica but by far The Lobster is the best. Always great service, always great food chooces and fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just lobsterAbsoluteRavingFanDined on 8/15/2014Right next to the pier, a great place for lunch. Great chowders and bisques, fresh oysters, and lobster several ways. We all got the lobster roll, and while the lobster was perfectly cooked, have never had a lobster roll that did not have some mayo concoction that the lobster was mixed in. The lobster was plain and served on top of a sort of slaw. Tasty but not a raving roll. Still would go back as the overall experience was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!SuzyQDined on 8/14/2014The Lobster really has the wow factor! Just a little bit cramped and noisy but top rate service! The food is beautifully presented, perfect portion sized and simply scrumptious! The lobster and crab cakes cannot be beat. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so muchBigwhoDined on 8/14/2014Service was slow and while the lobster tasted great the sides were not good overall not a good value for the prices they charge.Special Features:
- JenRecommendsVIPDined on 8/13/2014this place is spendy but the food quality is great. i was surprised actually, because this place was so close to the pier/touristy area, which is SF typically does not draw quality restaurants. But the service was very good, so was the food. We would return.Special Features:
- Music Biz GuyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Table Ready, Food terrific, very attentive servers, didn't rush us even though it was packed and we had an Ocean Table. Moderately priced, portions could have been a little larger and they could up-grade the bread basket.Special Features:
- georgeDined on 8/11/2014Primarily a high-end lobster specialty place but good (not wildly outstanding food otherwise) food. Good service, nice wine list. Casual. Will try lunch next time. Gets a little hectic when it fills up. $7 valet parkingSpecial Features:
- Great view, good food.WwwwDined on 8/11/2014Waiter was great! Food was just good. Ordered 2 grilled lobsters, one was obviously more fresh than the other. We were celebrating my mothers birthday and they 'comped' the dessert, yay!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MasterNiaDined on 8/10/2014Great views great lobster and really good desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view of the pierOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/20145 of us had business in la and chose the place as a special bonding dinner. Great service good food but exceedingly noisy for late sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Touristy, a great restaurant !NatashaVIPDined on 8/8/2014Always blown away by the staff, servers. Management is solidly in the service mood, training shines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing Late Lunch.RetaildivaDined on 8/7/2014Booked a late lunch with work friends, none of us had been here. Food was fantastic, had the crab cakes. Also, great cocktails... Would go back for drinks alone! We ordered an appetizer and almost forgot we ordered food.... It took a little long to come out however, once we got our food it was amazing! Crab cakes are delish and perfect for lunch. We would all come back for sure.... Not a great place if your on a time schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book Club 5th Year CelebrationAnniversaryCoupleDined on 8/5/2014Arriving at The Lobster is special with the wonderful view of the Pacific Ocean and all its visitors. The window seat enchanted everyone and the salads were notably delicious. We had plenty of time to discuss our most recent book and share what's going on in our lives since no one rushed us in spite of a busy lunch time.Special Features:
- VacationTherealohdoublegDined on 8/4/2014Glad we chose this restaurant to spend our time in Santa Monica. We had a great meal, view and time at The Lobster.Special Features:
- Great service great foodMissT28Dined on 8/3/2014The ambience was beautiful. The server was great, the view was wonderful, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOnvacay61Dined on 8/2/2014The service was slow. The food mediocre. The General Manger was yelling at staff in the kitchen. Way overrated.
- Excellent service and foodSolitudeDined on 8/2/2014From the minute we entered the restaurant, the hosts were all very friendly funny and made us feel welcomed. Our server was excellent, food was great, got the house favorite. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LobsterSincere393Dined on 8/1/2014A little loud and the seating is pretty tight but overall great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.