108 E Superior
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.peninsula.com/Chicago/en/default.aspx#/Chicago/en/Dining/The_Lobby/
- Phone: 3125736760x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Saturday: 6:30 AM to 11:00 AM
Sunday: 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 AM to 1:30PM
Monday - Saturday 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Afternoon Tea Seatings:
Monday – Saturday: 2:30 PM; 4:30 PM Seating
Sunday: 3:30 Seating
Light Refreshments & Cocktails
Monday – Sunday: 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sunday - Thursday 5:30 PM to 10:00 PM
Friday - Saturday 5:30 PM to 10:30 PM
Friday - Saturday 8:00 PM to 12:00 AM Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mike Wehrle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Dancing, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Private Events Manager, Amanda Ashtari at AmandaAshtari@peninsula.com or (312) 573 6709.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Ashtari 3125736709x
- Entertainment: Monday through Thursday
Guitar Duo from 6:00 to 9:00 PM
Friday through Saturday
Afternoon Tea String Duo: 3:00 to 5:00 PM
Guitar Duo from 7:00 to 11:00 PM
Contemporary Quartet from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Guitar Duo from 6:00 to 9:00 PM
- Special Events: On July 8th, Chef de Cuisine Lee Wolen will host a Peninsula Chef Series with Executive Chef Giuseppe Tentori of BOKA and GT Fish and Oyster. Tickets are $85, not including tax and gratuity and the menu will be seafood centric. Contact (312) 573 6695 or email@example.com for reservations and more details.
A word from The Lobby
Enjoy spectacular dining in The Lobby, which was recently awarded a perfect Five Star review by Time Out Chicago Food Editor David Tamarkin. Experience a memorable dinner featuring incredible dishes in a contemporary yet approachable American style, complemented by live music. Traditional Afternoon Tea is served daily, while the weekend offers a fabulous Sunday brunch accompanied by a vivacious string quartet, together with the delectable "Chocolate Bar". Children’s menus are available with a variety of offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Lobby reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)fit for foodies (32)great for brunch (26)romantic (22)scenic view (21)great for lunch (20)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (7)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Did not meet expectationsNatsDined on 10/20/2014I used to frequent the Peninsula Hong Kong for afternoon tea and so expected a similarly outstanding experience at the Lobby, but did not receive one. I had special requests for food allergies upon making the reservation on OpenTable. Since I had not heard back from the Lobby a day prior to visiting, I phoned to confirm the food allergies. Upon arrival: my requests were not taken into consideration, we did not have anyone walk up to seat us, and upon ordering the traditional high tea, had to wait over 25 minutes for the food to arrive. The tea itself was very lovely, but after a cup of tea - the leaves in the pot had already soaked up to an extremely bitter taste. Upon asking for the tea pot to be exchanged, only hot water was added.
- Wonderful versital brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014I brought my love for his 40th birthday. He is a Fine Dining Chef and I had to make sure he had a wonderful experience. All of his favorites were available as well as a drink. We had a wonderful time the mood and energy was great and he really enjoyed the music. We will for sure be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabuloushootDined on 10/18/2014Perfect High Tea a Service. Indulge yourself & experience it.Special Features:
- $100 BreakfastPWMLJMDined on 10/17/2014Great food, ambiance and service but nearly a $100 breakfast including tip but without alcohol for 2 is over the top.Special Features:
- Lovely High TeaSpecialHighTeaDined on 10/9/2014The ambiance was wonderful and the service superb. I would definitely return for a special High Tea!Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencefltdixonDined on 10/8/2014I went for afternoon tea. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing and service was excellent I really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Perfect Birthday PanachefoodinkDined on 10/8/2014As birthdays go, this had to be one of the favorites ever--for our now 30 year old daughter. Food was impeccably 'special' and whether it was the iced tea or the club sandwich or the truffled macaroni and cheese---it was purely wonderful. The celebration was touched by perfection in white chocolate birthday wishes surrounded by delicious demitasse, yummy chocolate mousse, amazing lemon curd, and truffles so well-conceived they captured the finish with sweet remembrance. The Lobby is gorgeous with a view that can only be described by its own wonder. As grand as The Lobby is---it is also simply joyful, warm, and engaging. It is a comfortable place to celebrate life's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finallyjmart616Dined on 10/6/2014My partner and I finally went to the Lobby! I've been dying to go back when Lee Wolen took over, better late than never! We had afternoon tea, which is something we really like to do around town. Our server was great. He was informative and friendly. He even switched out my tea when I decided it wasn't my favorite. I liked the atmosphere and was really excited to be sitting by the window.
- Great Food and Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Great place to go if you are looking for an upscale dinning experience. The staff are fabulous! They go the extra mile to provide you great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dining experienceEagleDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food and superb service in an environment where one can hear one's companions without inadvertently sharing a conversation with people at the next table. Although other diners during our most recent previous visit all seemed to be very senior in age, the customer base during our September dinner was much more mixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElleDined on 9/21/2014We have been going there every year for birthday brunch, special occasions . The service was incredibly slow. Table not cleared. No wine menu served, no coffee or beverage served. Told manager . He corrected the problem by clearing our table but than again we didn't have a waiter. Towards the end of the meal the waiter came with the check . One doesn't expect this kind of service in fine dining.Special Features:
- Tea for twonymphDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I enjoyed our afternoon tea at The Lobby and would definitely return. We ordered one full tea which included sandwiches, pastries and scones. It was plenty of food for both of us - and we are big eaters. We loved the scones so much that we ordered another plateful which had 4 scones rather than two that came on the original full tea plate. We were only able to eat two however - one each. If we return, I will just order the scones as I love them with the cream and strawberry marmalade. Although the sandwiches and pastries weren't bad, they weren't special enough to warrant the price, in my opinion. But, I think that you pay for the ambiance as much as (or much more) than the food. The service was good, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Chinese BreakfastlisenyVIPDined on 9/15/2014We went for the Chinese breakfast prix fixe menu. Food was definitely five stars, the lobster congee was delicious, the dumplings sublime and these were serious standouts, the other items were very good. Service started out a bit oddly, our waiter seemed not to understand that we were asking what the difference between the two teas served were. This was quickly worked out. Also, our glasses seemed to have collected some dust and switching them out didn't completely rectify the situation. Luckily the teas were exceptional! The service from then on was flawless. The room is lovely, but a bubblegum colored stain the size of napkin by the piano and another odd stain on the carpet by the next table did distract from the ambiance.Special Features:
- And Stay for the ChocolateAplusNDined on 9/12/2014The Lobby was a perfect location for our anniversary dinner. The food was simple and delicious. The chocolate bar was THE REASON to be there, though, and it didn't disappoint (it's a good thing the food was simple, otherwise there wouldn't be much room to enjoy the chocolate treats). The best part of the experience was the custom hot chocolate bar and ice cream sandwiches--the Mexican style hot chocolate is highly recommended. There was also a two man band...a cello and a guitar, I believe, who played instrumental versions of modern songs, including Lady Gaga (perfect!). I thought there would be dancing, but it's not set up for that. The Lobby is a nice quiet place to enjoy your company and eat many good things.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysKenGDined on 9/10/2014The lunch again was great as this continues to be one of the finest restaurants in Chicago. The lunch buffet is highly recommended. The staff is attentive and the food quality is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cudgelVIPDined on 9/4/2014Everything was excellent---the setting, the food, the service. And we could talk in a normal conversational volume and be heard. The live background music was very good and played at a level which did not disturb conversation.Special Features:
- Great restaurant and serviceKenGDined on 9/4/2014I am into fine dining. This is without question the finest restaurant in Chicago. The waiter Jose was amazing, friendly and professional. The food was great, perfectly prepared and tastefully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Tea is just lovelyWendelDined on 9/2/2014I took my son and parents here for High Tea. They do it up right. Everything was elegant and wonderful. What a special experience. We all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dining ExperiencerkchicagoDined on 9/1/2014The facility and décor were outstanding, an excellent place to leave an impression with your guests. The food was good, but the room helped lift it up a notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunchtealover123Dined on 8/31/2014Expensive at $75 but definitely worth it! Nothing beats the Peninsula for quality and class. Great variety of food. Musicians playing on the balcony - wonderful. Attentive details, such as a special section set low for the children.Special Features:
- Very average foodFunFoodieDined on 8/21/2014We were so disappointed in this restaurant. I really don't know where to start. The food was cafe quality at best. The presentation was non existent and the flavours did not connect. We both had the salmon tartare for appetisers, this was the only dish I would say was ok, but nothing special. For entrees my partner had the jumbo prawns which were smeared in what I can only describe as bottled sweet chilli sauce. I had the veal which was just plain horrible, the veal was drenched in grease as was the unidentifiable green mash of vegetable. I could only manage a few bites. When the waiter asked if it was okay, I told him it was pretty awful and all I got was an "I'm sorry"... he didn't seem interested as to why.
- Great serviceGourmetDined on 8/17/2014Enchantic service. Waiter extremely helpful. A pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & Chocolate & Jazz!JohnsonVIPDined on 8/15/2014We always enjoy eating dinner here on Friday or Saturday evening and then staying for their jazz and chocolate special. Everything is perfectly prepared and beautiful to behold. This particular evening however their wait staff appeared to be a little stretched. We rarely saw our waiter and had to make several request through our busboy. But a bad service day at the Pen is a good service day at many other restaurants. We will return because the chocolate is that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The LobbyblairmurrayDined on 8/13/2014I first came to The Lobby in 2012 for a birthday breakfast. I loved it and told my daughter I wanted to bring my grandchildren (then 7 and 9) there for breakfast. Instead I brought my best friend and she loved it, too. She will definitely be bringing her husband as she knows he will love it, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Quite Michelin Star CaliberJkasDined on 8/8/2014I was looking for a reservation for 2 on a Friday about a week in advance in Chicago, which can be hard to do at a nicer establishment. I was excited when I saw that The Lobby, A 1 Michelin Star had openings. Overall it wasn't a bad place, but not quite Michelin worthy in my mind, & I've been to about 15 Michelin's. Ironically it felt like a lobby restaurant with no private structure to the hotel common area. The menu was very small, and was different than what was on Open Table, so the dishes we were eying weren't available. When the food came it did taste good, but the overall experience kind of ruined it by that point, and it wasn't phenomenal, but good. I will say the "Chocolate Bar" was phenomenal, & was a nice end to the dinner.
- The LobbytealoverDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful High Tea at The Peninsula this afternoon. Tea sandwiches creative and excellent variety. The scones some of the best we've had. And the service was friendly, helpful and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous For Entertaining GuestsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014I recently had an out of town business guest and wanted to take them some place special. The Lobby exceeded my expectations in every way. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeLeseDined on 7/22/2014This was my first time at the lobby and it was beautiful and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Interesting Enough For The $FaDeDined on 7/12/2014Food was fine, service was nice (guitar/cello duo playing pop tunes was cool), and their 'chocolate bar' had SOME pieces that were really great, but boy, for the price, I'm really glad I had a gift certificate...wouldn't have been worth it otherwise. I'd prefer a cheaper place with more flavorful food any day of the week.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful time with our girls however, the service was HORRIBLE!!! We stay here and/or dine here each and every time we visit Chicago…this time was by far the worst…..but we love it enough that we will return with hopes of a different server.Special Features:
- cantab76VIPDined on 7/11/2014A great place to dine! We enjoyed the variety of the menu and the interesting wines. The chocolate bar was sensational. Looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:
- Vietnamese ModernoRyuuIchinomiyaVIPDined on 7/6/2014I can recommend the green papaya salad and grilled fish. Every dish was superb. Menu is loosely based on Vietnamese dishes and SE Asian dishes with many elements from other parts of Asia, and even Latin America. The drink "Ao Dai" (name for the Vietnamese traditional dress women wear) uses Brazilian sugar cane liquor called "cachaça". Sitting outside affords a nice view of West Loop, and is quiet and relaxing. Service is outstanding!Special Features:
- Perfect BrunchLostGreekDined on 7/6/2014Absolutely perfect Sunday Brunch, which has been stellar and consistent through out the years. Great selection and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurantDaveHDined on 7/5/2014Peninsula Hotels are all first class and this is no exception. The Lobby restaurant appropriately is in the lobby of the hotel with a towering ceiling and a very open environment. The food was excellent but, not exceptional. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable and it is always a nice touch when the chef stops by your table to chat. Of special note is the dessert bat which, is exceptional. There must have been 40 different selections of dessert with an ice cream sandwich bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad DeclineOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/1/2014What a sad decline. Have loved The Lobby since it opened. They used to have one of the best Vietnamese market soups around. It is now tasteless and should be taken off the menu. Waitstaff though engaging is inattentive for long periods.
- A lovely summer eveneingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014We had a wonderful evening at the Lobby and its surroundings. We enjoyed a cocktail before dinner at the bar. We then had a wonderful meal with an excellent wine. After dinner we were able to enjoy an after dinner drink on the terrace. It was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert AddictOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014The dessert bar was good. It was worth the $20 (normally $40 unless you dine with them). I recommend going with a few friend so you can try as many desserts as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yangDined on 6/27/2014if person never go to The Lobby. He/She should and strongly recomand to this place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met ALL expectations!!!JoanopinionDined on 6/27/2014On my last visit to Chicago 10 years ago (I know, it's a shame...), I vowed to have High Tea at The Lobby and I did it this past Friday for my birthday. It was everything I'd expected and more! I will definitely be back; the food was so delicious, the service was top-tier and the ambiance is lovely. Worth every cent spent. GO, you will not regret it!Special Features:
- Waste of money, waste of time!ZhenyfehrDined on 6/24/2014I tried afternoon tea at various hotels this week: The Pavilion at the Langham, Lobby at The Peninsula, Palm Court at The Drake, and Lockwood at The Palmer House Hilton so I had a nice range of choices. Lobby was by far the worst and the most disappointing. Service was practically nonexistent once seated and the food left you hubgry even though half were inedible (the scones fell to crumbs as soon as you picked them up!). If it wasn't because this was at The Peninsula Hotel, I would have walked out without tipping! Worst experience this week -- felt like I should have gotten reimbursed for dining there!!
- The following 497 reviews are from the The Lobby reviews archive.