The Livery Tavern
217 E. Washington Street
Lewisburg, WV 24901Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Livery Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://liverytavern.com/
- Phone: 3046459836x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from The Livery Tavern
Our newest restaurant, The Livery Tavern, is a very masculine interpretation of a mid-1800’s tavern, with an open beamed ceiling and a generous use of natural materials and earth tones both inside and out. The Livery has a full bar, privacy booth seating, outdoor patio seating and an extensive wine and port list. Our menu is a reflection of this same interpretation, with dishes including grilled venison, quail, lamb and local beef cuts like 2 inch bone-in rib eyes. The Livery is also fashioned with a unique military motif to honor our father Major General John B. Hirt USMC, who passed away earlier this year. You’ll find these military influences in our logo and other decorative treatments inside the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Livery Tavern - Best Restaurants in Lewisburg ›
The Livery Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (29)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (21)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A Special EveningGourmetDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated a birthday and had excellent food and a very attentive server. An extensive wine list was appreciated. We three ordered different entres and we were all pleased with our choices. The scallops were especially well-prepared and the steak was a perfect medium-rare. The sauce on the duck was complementary. The creme brûlée was large enough for three to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChippyVIPDined on 9/5/2014The chef is a marvel. Everything from the appetizer through the chocolate mousse cake dessert was delicious. Try the Caesar salad-amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 8/26/2014have been at this resturant many times, the past couple of times the food quality has not been as good, although it is still very nice, from the time we ordered the entree it took almost 45 minutes to be served, and the resturant was not busy.....we will return...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over seasoned over portionedGordonDined on 8/19/2014I found the food over seasoned and over portioned.Let the freshness of the food dominate the taste.Sweetbreads and Soft shell crabs breaded with seasoned breadcrumbs were not as enjoyable as they could have been. The accompanying item with both items could be where the unique seasoning could be found. The portioning on the salads was to large. Three people having the salads could not finish their entre and no room for dessert. The balance of seasoning and portioning could be better. The server John did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentriverratDined on 8/19/2014Waited a long time to eat at the Livery. The experience was exceptional. From the moment we entered the service above expectation. We tried the Caesar per server recommendation unlike any I've ever had. Will definitely go back. Excellent food. Great service. Beautiful restaurant in the coolest little town in America.Special Features:
- Hungry Thirsty GolfersCadeshakDined on 8/16/2014I was with a group of 4 golfers, none of which had previously been to this restaurant. We were all very pleased with everything about this restaurant - the bartender & our waiter were both very friendly & very efficient. Our dinner selections were all great, & the atmosphere was very comfortable. The next time that any of us are in Lewisburg, the Livery Tavern will be at the top of our list of go-to restaurants. We took a cab to & from the restaurant, which is always a good idea if you are enjoying some libations. I have previously eaten at various restaurants at The Greenbrier resort, and I rate the Livery Tavern above all of them for overall quality of food and for the reasonableness of prices.Special Features:
- Yum!sneadginDined on 8/9/2014We went to the restaurant after a review on TripAdvisor and it was an excellent meal. The menu was not the same as we saw online but we easily found multiple entrees that sounded delicious. Be sure to try the steak and shrimp appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with old friendsLocalDined on 8/8/2014Six of us had dinner as an old friend was in the area from Nashville. She had read about The Livery on the Internet and wanted to check it out. We all were very pleased with our service, food and the relaxing atmosphere. Love the woodwork and the stone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The newest Jem in LewisburgCathinwvDined on 8/1/2014Chose this restaurant because we wanted outdoor dining. From our shared appetizer of Cheese and Charcuterie, to the chocolate dessert, this place is a hit! My group of four each had a different entre and each dish was a winner. The server was helpful and attentive. Can't wait to share this restaurant with friends on my next visit to Lewisburg.Special Features:
- MagsDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed everything about your restaurant!! The food was delicious & the service was impeccable. We will be back many more times.Special Features:
- The Livery is Great!DRM1310Dined on 7/30/2014The Livery combines great food, wonderful atmosphere, interesting people and caring service. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Excellent but a Little PriceyNewOrleansVisitorDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance and food were excellent. We had the Livery recommended to us but didn't check the menu ahead of time. Most entree's are $30+. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to its billingMunkusesDined on 7/25/2014They seem to pride themselves on being the priciest restaurant in town, but for me the food quality, service and general ambiance was not in line with the prices on the menu. In its defense, I did not order one of their steak offerings, which seems to be their specialty.
- worth a detourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I stopped here on the way from Indianapolis to Williamsburg last year and the meal was so gourmet i took a photo of the green salad and photos of the restaurant and told all my friends they should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Love,love, love, we can never come to Lewisburg/ The Greenbrier without coming to the Livery!Special Features:
- Always exceptionalMikeVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food and service at the Livery Tavern has always been excellent. We go whenever we are in Lewisburg! The roasted beet salad is to die for! This time we had the swordfish and the shrimp and scallops....delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodGuidoDined on 7/12/2014Our second visit. It will not be our last! Most interesting is the ever changing menu items.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantthetravelersDined on 7/5/2014we had a really good, nicely paced meal here with excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyPriceyDined on 7/5/2014Very overpriced for the quailty of the food. Great wine list but they were out of the first 2 selections I made. The final selection was not the vinatge year that was on the wine list. They said, Oh, it just hasnt been updated. I would expect it to be updated by the price of the meal.
- High Quality in a Small TownAmateurFoodieDined on 7/3/2014The Livery Tavern is a big-city restaurant located in a small place! The food was excellent and we enjoyed our dinner there. It was a Thursday night and they had live music, which was both a good and a bad thing. The diningroom itself is really not very large so with the addition of amplified vocals and guitar, all the patrons had to use very loud speaking voices--which really made the place exceptionally loud. This made the feel very energetic but made it difficult to carry on any kind of conversation. It was very busy as well, and I think they had a staffing issue--the managers appeared to be bussing/setting tables and trying to do some serving as well. Overall, a very nice restaurant and high quality food but our night was very loud.Special Features:
- ExquisiteGuidoDined on 6/20/2014Ambiance great, service efficient, food presentation excellent, quality was outstanding. A bit pricy but one gets what one pays for. It' said "be back."Special Features:
- Another great visitMikeVIPDined on 6/14/2014We eat here often and it's always great. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- comoDined on 6/4/2014Great ambience and vibe. The trout was amazing and we both loved the unique Caesar salad with roasted Brussel sprouts. Great use of fresh local ingredients. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!Sid44Dined on 5/30/2014I read the reviews and deceided to give it a try while we were staying at the Greenbrier. Everything I read was true, great food, great service with an excellent wine list. If you are in Lewisburg do yourself a favor and have dinner. Nice little town also. Cheers,Special Features:
- Whats wrong in the kitchen?TravelerVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a well-designed space in a charming country town. The staff is warm and friendly. The wine list is both comprehensive and interesting with staff expertise to match. But........the food took forever, and not on a crowded night, and one dish, the quail appetizer was served severely charred. Maybe this was an exception but its a real shame that a place with such promise didnt deliver.
- The following 70 reviews are from the The Livery Tavern reviews archive.
- Lburg Livery RocksKCDCDined on 5/24/2014We have a real gem in this restaurant in Lewisburg. Finally a great menu with sought after dishes like pork belly and short ribs, yum! And they are cooked to perfection. Wine selection compliments the dishes and the ambiance is upbeat.Special Features:
- MouthwateringsusanDined on 5/15/2014It's been a week since we were there, but even now just thinking about our experience makes my mouth water. The lobster risotto is always a favorite, but we also loved the evening's special as well as the shrimp and scallops entree. Our server was funny and attentive (without being intrusive in any way). The chef stopping by to chat made everything even better. I recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Great Food In A Great EnvironmentNativLewisburgianDined on 5/7/2014Dining was incredible... Food was excellent, it's what you would expect from a great restaurant in Lewisburg. We were greeted with a smile and the service was great. But, when we arrived, we sat at the bar and the bartender was not the most gracious. It was like she wanted us to move to a table and not sit at the bar.... We did talk with the manager and everything was "fixed...." Two of us was $115 and we gave a $50 tip, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last evening in LewisburgMissLillyDined on 5/6/2014The host was beyond excellent. The waitress was very good, explained the dinners. When we first arrived, the barmaid seemed more interested in the sports on TV rather than greeting us. Not very friendly at first, she made one of the best dirty martinis ever! I actually had two they were so perfect. It was a great way to end our trip to WVA. We love your fine state and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite SpoteatrightordineDined on 4/26/2014We eat out all over the world, and, no kidding, this is our favorite restaurant. The food is consistently fabulous and creative. The house salad is fresh, local and creative, and the prettiest presentation ever. The specials are always worth a try. The unique cocktail creations are not to be missed and the quirky wine list has opened our eyes to some great little wineries. Nancy, the owner and manager, has put together one of the best teams in the business. Don't miss this absolute gem!Special Features:
- Enjoyable and pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014We arrived and were greeted and seated in a timely manner by a delightful associate. Our order was placed with recommendations as well as the waitress was able to answer all our questions about the different selections to choose from. Our order was delivered and the waitress followed up to see if we had any needs during our meal several times. The food was outstanding as well as the entire experience. We were staying at the Greenbriar and they book our reservation for us on line. We received an email confirmation. We plan on returning to the restaurant as well as the entire area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.5foodiesDined on 4/12/2014Very nice atmosphere & bar area. Good wine list. Food & service okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceBDE1Dined on 3/13/2014Tonight March 13th, a business associate and I made a 7:15 PM reservation at your restaurant the Livery Tavern. We were a bit early about 6:55 PM - no one was manning the door but a pleasant young woman from behind the bar seated us, the menu and wine list were on the table; although the restaurant was not busy no one approached our table. One waiter served appetizers to the table next to us and water to the booth behind us but refused to make eye contact with us. After waiting 20 minutes with no acknowledgement of our presence, we decided it would be best to leave. Before leaving we approached the bar where three employees were chatting and mentioned that the service was nonexistent - this was an unpleasant experience. Sent from my iPad
- DISAPPOINTINGMaryVIPDined on 3/8/2014This eatery was recommended to me, so I checked it out. I wish I didn't. Food was very over-priced, mediocre in quality, lacked interest, and the servings were small. The menu was limited. The service was poor, unpolished and amateur. I was worried when I saw the restaurant was near empty on a Saturday night, now I know why. I left there very hungry, as did my husband. This is not a gourmet restaurant, but the prices were. Save your time & money!
- dining at the liveryjfisherDined on 3/1/2014Every minute was great. From start to finish. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special Place in LewisburgOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014We reserved a table at the Livery Tavern for a birthday dinner. The host greeted us promptly and made sure we had the table near the window that we wanted. We were made to feel very welcome. The fire was roaring in the fireplace and the guitar duo played and sang beautifully. Our server was attentive and the menu(which is changed periodically) was excellent. Our meals were served properly, and were delicious. We all had a wonderful time at The Livery Tavern, I particularly like the fact that the restaurant was originally founded by a retired Marine and his officer sword and flag grace the fireplace mantle. A nice touch for an already very welcoming establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favoriteconch4evaDined on 2/14/2014The kitchen and dining staff produce a great experience from the moment you walk in, and appeared to be conscientious and detail oriented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of Lewisburg's finestfuddtDined on 2/14/2014Trout is great. Locally sourced fresh fish and produce set them apart. Never disappointing. A must do. Wines selection to suit any budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Livery could do betterWarmSprgsDinerDined on 1/31/2014This was our first visit to The Livery.The food was excellent and beautifully displayed but the service was slack even though we arrived early for dinner and the place was not busy.We ordered a large assortment of appetizers and they brought them all out at once and then disappeared.We ended up stacking dishes on the table next to us and even then the waitress didn't make an effort to clean them off.The music was super loud and not conducive to a relaxing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night out!HungrySueDined on 1/18/2014The Livery Tavern came highly recommended to us & I am glad we tried it during our trip to The Greenbrier. The atmosphere was great & the noise level was very tolerable (important to me). We thought my daughter was being unadventurous getting the pasta, but she had the best dish out of our 3! My husband's seafood dish was tasty, but was extremely small (portioned) especially for the price. Salads very good & oysters, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.