The Livery Tavern
217 E. Washington Street
Lewisburg, WV 24901Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Livery Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://liverytavern.com/
- Phone: 3046459836x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from The Livery Tavern
Our newest restaurant, The Livery Tavern, is a very masculine interpretation of a mid-1800’s tavern, with an open beamed ceiling and a generous use of natural materials and earth tones both inside and out. The Livery has a full bar, privacy booth seating, outdoor patio seating and an extensive wine and port list. Our menu is a reflection of this same interpretation, with dishes including grilled venison, quail, lamb and local beef cuts like 2 inch bone-in rib eyes. The Livery is also fashioned with a unique military motif to honor our father Major General John B. Hirt USMC, who passed away earlier this year. You’ll find these military influences in our logo and other decorative treatments inside the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Livery Tavern - Best Restaurants in Lewisburg ›
The Livery Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)fit for foodies (28)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (9)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Anorher greata dining Experience!TammyDined on 10/23/2014The new fall menu at The Livery Tavern is wonderful! Our table of three started with the crispy pork belly app, served with a johnnie cake and fried egg (yum!), the new pear and frisee salad with candied walnuts, bacon and a red wine vinaigrette as well as the new lamb egg roll served with a pear and mint chutney. Dinner included all new menu items; the Sportsman platter, which included grilled elk, a wonderful venison tenderloin and boar meat sausage, served on a bed of slow cooked root vegetables and risotto layered with a dark bourbon sauce. We also ordered the short rib stroganoff (rich and creamy) as well as the turkey pot pie. Dessert was the home made chocolate mousse cake and goat cheese ice cream. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Livery TavernJerryDined on 10/11/2014The Livery Tavern is a nice small restaurant with a very quaint atmosphere. The menu provides a variety of selections from a wild meat platter to pasta. This is the second time that we have eaten there and we enjoyed both experiences. Our only negative comments are 1) the majority of the seats are located near the kitchen entrance; 2) on October 11 the dining room was cool which could have been resolved if there had been a small fire in the fireplace. Regardless, we will return in the future as we visit the Greenbrier area twice a year.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We have been to the Livery several times. The food is amazing, service is impeccable. I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksVisitingfromNC1Dined on 9/30/2014I had the Ribeye and my wife had the Strip and both were excellent. My in-laws both had the Salmon and they raved about it. Had the Sweetbreads as an appetizer and they were wonderful. Overall a great dining experience and our server Pather was very at tentative. Good to see Stacey behind the bar.Special Features:
- Nice place - though a few fumbles1stTimeVisitorDined on 9/27/2014First time visit to Lewisburg & also The Livery. A steak ordered medium was full raw/red inside. I first ate the outer edges waiting for the waitress to come back & check on us. That took some time. Sent it back to get cooked. Flavor was very good though. They ran out of mashed potatoes. A very odd thing for a restaurant! So I walked back to the General Lewis Inn's restaurant & got mashed potatoes! When there's a will, there's a way, right? You may find it surprising that I would go back again. We liked the atmosphere & surroundings. They close at 9pm which seems very early to me. Side note: the General Lewis restaurant is about 20% lower in cost. Their atmosphere is historic/rustic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014The music on Thursday night was TOOOO LOUD, and unfortunately - off key. Made talking very difficult - almost impossible - couldn't wait to leave. Cindy
- Nice place; good wine list.FoodieloveDined on 9/24/2014Good overall and nice variety of main dishes. A bit pricey for small town, quantity & quality. Not comfortable with baseball caps and guys spitting 'chew' in paper cups in dining room. Only food criticism was mashed potatoes had unidentifiable odd taste and texture. Ambiance music would be nice. Had perfect waiter; epitome of grace, knowledge of menu & wines. Had heard we might wait long time for bottle of wine but this was not the case. Of the three best choices in the immediate downtown area, this rates second. We have been there sporadically, about eight times now. Would go more if was 10% less. Hopefully staff is well compensated as it really was a nice experience. Might have asked if they have a cork fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply-Amazing!8herehappilyDined on 9/24/2014What a wonderful restaurant in a lovely small town! We made reservations on Open Table the day we were going to the Livery Tavern and they were ready for us when we arrived. Our drinks made by Stacy were perfect and John was very attentive to our table of nine. We all ordered something different and everything was incredible! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful SurprisessusanDined on 9/24/2014The lobster risotto was sublime. The swordfish was the best I've ever eaten – subtly flavored and juicy! The server was knowledgeable, attentive and funny – never invasive. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- A Special EveningGourmetDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated a birthday and had excellent food and a very attentive server. An extensive wine list was appreciated. We three ordered different entres and we were all pleased with our choices. The scallops were especially well-prepared and the steak was a perfect medium-rare. The sauce on the duck was complementary. The creme brûlée was large enough for three to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChippyVIPDined on 9/5/2014The chef is a marvel. Everything from the appetizer through the chocolate mousse cake dessert was delicious. Try the Caesar salad-amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 8/26/2014have been at this resturant many times, the past couple of times the food quality has not been as good, although it is still very nice, from the time we ordered the entree it took almost 45 minutes to be served, and the resturant was not busy.....we will return...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over seasoned over portionedGordonDined on 8/19/2014I found the food over seasoned and over portioned.Let the freshness of the food dominate the taste.Sweetbreads and Soft shell crabs breaded with seasoned breadcrumbs were not as enjoyable as they could have been. The accompanying item with both items could be where the unique seasoning could be found. The portioning on the salads was to large. Three people having the salads could not finish their entre and no room for dessert. The balance of seasoning and portioning could be better. The server John did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentriverratDined on 8/19/2014Waited a long time to eat at the Livery. The experience was exceptional. From the moment we entered the service above expectation. We tried the Caesar per server recommendation unlike any I've ever had. Will definitely go back. Excellent food. Great service. Beautiful restaurant in the coolest little town in America.Special Features:
- Hungry Thirsty GolfersCadeshakDined on 8/16/2014I was with a group of 4 golfers, none of which had previously been to this restaurant. We were all very pleased with everything about this restaurant - the bartender & our waiter were both very friendly & very efficient. Our dinner selections were all great, & the atmosphere was very comfortable. The next time that any of us are in Lewisburg, the Livery Tavern will be at the top of our list of go-to restaurants. We took a cab to & from the restaurant, which is always a good idea if you are enjoying some libations. I have previously eaten at various restaurants at The Greenbrier resort, and I rate the Livery Tavern above all of them for overall quality of food and for the reasonableness of prices.Special Features:
- Yum!sneadginDined on 8/9/2014We went to the restaurant after a review on TripAdvisor and it was an excellent meal. The menu was not the same as we saw online but we easily found multiple entrees that sounded delicious. Be sure to try the steak and shrimp appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with old friendsLocalDined on 8/8/2014Six of us had dinner as an old friend was in the area from Nashville. She had read about The Livery on the Internet and wanted to check it out. We all were very pleased with our service, food and the relaxing atmosphere. Love the woodwork and the stone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The newest Jem in LewisburgCathinwvDined on 8/1/2014Chose this restaurant because we wanted outdoor dining. From our shared appetizer of Cheese and Charcuterie, to the chocolate dessert, this place is a hit! My group of four each had a different entre and each dish was a winner. The server was helpful and attentive. Can't wait to share this restaurant with friends on my next visit to Lewisburg.Special Features:
- MagsDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed everything about your restaurant!! The food was delicious & the service was impeccable. We will be back many more times.Special Features:
- The Livery is Great!DRM1310Dined on 7/30/2014The Livery combines great food, wonderful atmosphere, interesting people and caring service. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Excellent but a Little PriceyNewOrleansVisitorDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance and food were excellent. We had the Livery recommended to us but didn't check the menu ahead of time. Most entree's are $30+. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to its billingMunkusesDined on 7/25/2014They seem to pride themselves on being the priciest restaurant in town, but for me the food quality, service and general ambiance was not in line with the prices on the menu. In its defense, I did not order one of their steak offerings, which seems to be their specialty.
- worth a detourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I stopped here on the way from Indianapolis to Williamsburg last year and the meal was so gourmet i took a photo of the green salad and photos of the restaurant and told all my friends they should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Love,love, love, we can never come to Lewisburg/ The Greenbrier without coming to the Livery!Special Features:
- Always exceptionalMikeVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food and service at the Livery Tavern has always been excellent. We go whenever we are in Lewisburg! The roasted beet salad is to die for! This time we had the swordfish and the shrimp and scallops....delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodGuidoDined on 7/12/2014Our second visit. It will not be our last! Most interesting is the ever changing menu items.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantthetravelersDined on 7/5/2014we had a really good, nicely paced meal here with excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyPriceyDined on 7/5/2014Very overpriced for the quailty of the food. Great wine list but they were out of the first 2 selections I made. The final selection was not the vinatge year that was on the wine list. They said, Oh, it just hasnt been updated. I would expect it to be updated by the price of the meal.
- High Quality in a Small TownAmateurFoodieDined on 7/3/2014The Livery Tavern is a big-city restaurant located in a small place! The food was excellent and we enjoyed our dinner there. It was a Thursday night and they had live music, which was both a good and a bad thing. The diningroom itself is really not very large so with the addition of amplified vocals and guitar, all the patrons had to use very loud speaking voices--which really made the place exceptionally loud. This made the feel very energetic but made it difficult to carry on any kind of conversation. It was very busy as well, and I think they had a staffing issue--the managers appeared to be bussing/setting tables and trying to do some serving as well. Overall, a very nice restaurant and high quality food but our night was very loud.Special Features:
- The following 75 reviews are from the The Livery Tavern reviews archive.
- ExquisiteGuidoDined on 6/20/2014Ambiance great, service efficient, food presentation excellent, quality was outstanding. A bit pricy but one gets what one pays for. It' said "be back."Special Features:
- Another great visitMikeVIPDined on 6/14/2014We eat here often and it's always great. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- comoDined on 6/4/2014Great ambience and vibe. The trout was amazing and we both loved the unique Caesar salad with roasted Brussel sprouts. Great use of fresh local ingredients. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!Sid44Dined on 5/30/2014I read the reviews and deceided to give it a try while we were staying at the Greenbrier. Everything I read was true, great food, great service with an excellent wine list. If you are in Lewisburg do yourself a favor and have dinner. Nice little town also. Cheers,Special Features:
- Whats wrong in the kitchen?TravelerVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a well-designed space in a charming country town. The staff is warm and friendly. The wine list is both comprehensive and interesting with staff expertise to match. But........the food took forever, and not on a crowded night, and one dish, the quail appetizer was served severely charred. Maybe this was an exception but its a real shame that a place with such promise didnt deliver.
- Lburg Livery RocksKCDCDined on 5/24/2014We have a real gem in this restaurant in Lewisburg. Finally a great menu with sought after dishes like pork belly and short ribs, yum! And they are cooked to perfection. Wine selection compliments the dishes and the ambiance is upbeat.Special Features:
- MouthwateringsusanDined on 5/15/2014It's been a week since we were there, but even now just thinking about our experience makes my mouth water. The lobster risotto is always a favorite, but we also loved the evening's special as well as the shrimp and scallops entree. Our server was funny and attentive (without being intrusive in any way). The chef stopping by to chat made everything even better. I recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Great Food In A Great EnvironmentNativLewisburgianDined on 5/7/2014Dining was incredible... Food was excellent, it's what you would expect from a great restaurant in Lewisburg. We were greeted with a smile and the service was great. But, when we arrived, we sat at the bar and the bartender was not the most gracious. It was like she wanted us to move to a table and not sit at the bar.... We did talk with the manager and everything was "fixed...." Two of us was $115 and we gave a $50 tip, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last evening in LewisburgMissLillyDined on 5/6/2014The host was beyond excellent. The waitress was very good, explained the dinners. When we first arrived, the barmaid seemed more interested in the sports on TV rather than greeting us. Not very friendly at first, she made one of the best dirty martinis ever! I actually had two they were so perfect. It was a great way to end our trip to WVA. We love your fine state and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite SpoteatrightordineDined on 4/26/2014We eat out all over the world, and, no kidding, this is our favorite restaurant. The food is consistently fabulous and creative. The house salad is fresh, local and creative, and the prettiest presentation ever. The specials are always worth a try. The unique cocktail creations are not to be missed and the quirky wine list has opened our eyes to some great little wineries. Nancy, the owner and manager, has put together one of the best teams in the business. Don't miss this absolute gem!Special Features:
- Enjoyable and pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014We arrived and were greeted and seated in a timely manner by a delightful associate. Our order was placed with recommendations as well as the waitress was able to answer all our questions about the different selections to choose from. Our order was delivered and the waitress followed up to see if we had any needs during our meal several times. The food was outstanding as well as the entire experience. We were staying at the Greenbriar and they book our reservation for us on line. We received an email confirmation. We plan on returning to the restaurant as well as the entire area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.