The Livery Tavern
217 E. Washington Street
Lewisburg, WV 24901Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Livery Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://liverytavern.com/
- Phone: (304) 645-9836
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from The Livery Tavern
Our newest restaurant, The Livery Tavern, is a very masculine interpretation of a mid-1800’s tavern, with an open beamed ceiling and a generous use of natural materials and earth tones both inside and out. The Livery has a full bar, privacy booth seating, outdoor patio seating and an extensive wine and port list. Our menu is a reflection of this same interpretation, with dishes including grilled venison, quail, lamb and local beef cuts like 2 inch bone-in rib eyes. The Livery is also fashioned with a unique military motif to honor our father Major General John B. Hirt USMC, who passed away earlier this year. You’ll find these military influences in our logo and other decorative treatments inside the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Livery Tavern - Best Restaurants in Lewisburg ›
The Livery Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (22)fit for foodies (22)great for outdoor dining (17)notable wine list (17)good for groups (9)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- The food, atmosphere, service, atmosphere nice.PriceyDined on 11/12/2014Although all the things you would like in a restaurant were here, I am not able to recommend to my friends because we are not wealthy. If you want a drink, appetizer, meal, and dessert. Expect to spend about $75 to $80 per person. $36 for three scallops for instance. Go and enjoy yourself just know that you will have a nice bill at the end.Special Features:
- group dinnerbuckeyegalDined on 11/8/2014Our dinner at the Livery was a great experience for most of our group. We had seven and all but one was very pleased. We do recommend the Caesar Salad (which was also a favorite of our waiter). It was large and had the added flair of fried shaved brussel sprouts on top. The salmon with crispy kale, the scallops with spring-rolled risotto and the turkey pot pie were delicious and beautifully served. Desserts included the bread pudding, creme brulee, and chocolate mousse cake. All were fabulous. Our waiter was funny, informative and provided excellent service. It was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all in the detailsSaraDined on 11/5/2014ntil we were half finished. However once problem was noticed the server did a fantastic job. Lamb eggs were brought out and she loved it. Service was great and we will be back many more times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Open limited hours so call for reservation. You won't regret it! Outstanding taste and presentation complimented by personal service and excellent wine list. Nice and quiet atmosphere. Stayed over 3 hours and never felt pressured or uncomfortable. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal in a lovely setting.melandricDined on 10/24/2014We had heard great things about the Livery Tavern and weren't disappointed. Every item on the menu that we ordered was unique, delicious and memorable. The waitstaff was very knowledgeable and friendly. We loved the atmosphere, especially the stone fireplace and leather sofa. Our only regret is that we didn't order dessert. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anorher greata dining Experience!TammyDined on 10/23/2014The new fall menu at The Livery Tavern is wonderful! Our table of three started with the crispy pork belly app, served with a johnnie cake and fried egg (yum!), the new pear and frisee salad with candied walnuts, bacon and a red wine vinaigrette as well as the new lamb egg roll served with a pear and mint chutney. Dinner included all new menu items; the Sportsman platter, which included grilled elk, a wonderful venison tenderloin and boar meat sausage, served on a bed of slow cooked root vegetables and risotto layered with a dark bourbon sauce. We also ordered the short rib stroganoff (rich and creamy) as well as the turkey pot pie. Dessert was the home made chocolate mousse cake and goat cheese ice cream. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Awesome Surprise!L0SingleDined on 10/11/2014Visiting the lady who is in Med School. We hit this spot for a nice meal! We had a fantastic time - great steaks, cocktails, and service! I was so pleased! We'll definitely be returning when I visit early next year. Sauce the comes with the filet is insanely flavorful! Thanks!Special Features:
- Livery TavernJerryDined on 10/11/2014The Livery Tavern is a nice small restaurant with a very quaint atmosphere. The menu provides a variety of selections from a wild meat platter to pasta. This is the second time that we have eaten there and we enjoyed both experiences. Our only negative comments are 1) the majority of the seats are located near the kitchen entrance; 2) on October 11 the dining room was cool which could have been resolved if there had been a small fire in the fireplace. Regardless, we will return in the future as we visit the Greenbrier area twice a year.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We have been to the Livery several times. The food is amazing, service is impeccable. I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksVisitingfromNC1Dined on 9/30/2014I had the Ribeye and my wife had the Strip and both were excellent. My in-laws both had the Salmon and they raved about it. Had the Sweetbreads as an appetizer and they were wonderful. Overall a great dining experience and our server Pather was very at tentative. Good to see Stacey behind the bar.Special Features:
- Nice place - though a few fumbles1stTimeVisitorDined on 9/27/2014First time visit to Lewisburg & also The Livery. A steak ordered medium was full raw/red inside. I first ate the outer edges waiting for the waitress to come back & check on us. That took some time. Sent it back to get cooked. Flavor was very good though. They ran out of mashed potatoes. A very odd thing for a restaurant! So I walked back to the General Lewis Inn's restaurant & got mashed potatoes! When there's a will, there's a way, right? You may find it surprising that I would go back again. We liked the atmosphere & surroundings. They close at 9pm which seems very early to me. Side note: the General Lewis restaurant is about 20% lower in cost. Their atmosphere is historic/rustic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014The music on Thursday night was TOOOO LOUD, and unfortunately - off key. Made talking very difficult - almost impossible - couldn't wait to leave. Cindy
- Nice place; good wine list.FoodieloveDined on 9/24/2014Good overall and nice variety of main dishes. A bit pricey for small town, quantity & quality. Not comfortable with baseball caps and guys spitting 'chew' in paper cups in dining room. Only food criticism was mashed potatoes had unidentifiable odd taste and texture. Ambiance music would be nice. Had perfect waiter; epitome of grace, knowledge of menu & wines. Had heard we might wait long time for bottle of wine but this was not the case. Of the three best choices in the immediate downtown area, this rates second. We have been there sporadically, about eight times now. Would go more if was 10% less. Hopefully staff is well compensated as it really was a nice experience. Might have asked if they have a cork fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply-Amazing!8herehappilyDined on 9/24/2014What a wonderful restaurant in a lovely small town! We made reservations on Open Table the day we were going to the Livery Tavern and they were ready for us when we arrived. Our drinks made by Stacy were perfect and John was very attentive to our table of nine. We all ordered something different and everything was incredible! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful SurprisessusanDined on 9/24/2014The lobster risotto was sublime. The swordfish was the best I've ever eaten – subtly flavored and juicy! The server was knowledgeable, attentive and funny – never invasive. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- A Special EveningGourmetDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated a birthday and had excellent food and a very attentive server. An extensive wine list was appreciated. We three ordered different entres and we were all pleased with our choices. The scallops were especially well-prepared and the steak was a perfect medium-rare. The sauce on the duck was complementary. The creme brûlée was large enough for three to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChippyVIPDined on 9/5/2014The chef is a marvel. Everything from the appetizer through the chocolate mousse cake dessert was delicious. Try the Caesar salad-amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 8/26/2014have been at this resturant many times, the past couple of times the food quality has not been as good, although it is still very nice, from the time we ordered the entree it took almost 45 minutes to be served, and the resturant was not busy.....we will return...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over seasoned over portionedGordonDined on 8/19/2014I found the food over seasoned and over portioned.Let the freshness of the food dominate the taste.Sweetbreads and Soft shell crabs breaded with seasoned breadcrumbs were not as enjoyable as they could have been. The accompanying item with both items could be where the unique seasoning could be found. The portioning on the salads was to large. Three people having the salads could not finish their entre and no room for dessert. The balance of seasoning and portioning could be better. The server John did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentriverratDined on 8/19/2014Waited a long time to eat at the Livery. The experience was exceptional. From the moment we entered the service above expectation. We tried the Caesar per server recommendation unlike any I've ever had. Will definitely go back. Excellent food. Great service. Beautiful restaurant in the coolest little town in America.Special Features:
- Hungry Thirsty GolfersCadeshakDined on 8/16/2014I was with a group of 4 golfers, none of which had previously been to this restaurant. We were all very pleased with everything about this restaurant - the bartender & our waiter were both very friendly & very efficient. Our dinner selections were all great, & the atmosphere was very comfortable. The next time that any of us are in Lewisburg, the Livery Tavern will be at the top of our list of go-to restaurants. We took a cab to & from the restaurant, which is always a good idea if you are enjoying some libations. I have previously eaten at various restaurants at The Greenbrier resort, and I rate the Livery Tavern above all of them for overall quality of food and for the reasonableness of prices.Special Features:
- Yum!sneadginDined on 8/9/2014We went to the restaurant after a review on TripAdvisor and it was an excellent meal. The menu was not the same as we saw online but we easily found multiple entrees that sounded delicious. Be sure to try the steak and shrimp appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with old friendsLocalDined on 8/8/2014Six of us had dinner as an old friend was in the area from Nashville. She had read about The Livery on the Internet and wanted to check it out. We all were very pleased with our service, food and the relaxing atmosphere. Love the woodwork and the stone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The newest Jem in LewisburgCathinwvDined on 8/1/2014Chose this restaurant because we wanted outdoor dining. From our shared appetizer of Cheese and Charcuterie, to the chocolate dessert, this place is a hit! My group of four each had a different entre and each dish was a winner. The server was helpful and attentive. Can't wait to share this restaurant with friends on my next visit to Lewisburg.Special Features:
- MagsDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed everything about your restaurant!! The food was delicious & the service was impeccable. We will be back many more times.Special Features:
- The Livery is Great!DRM1310Dined on 7/30/2014The Livery combines great food, wonderful atmosphere, interesting people and caring service. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Excellent but a Little PriceyNewOrleansVisitorDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance and food were excellent. We had the Livery recommended to us but didn't check the menu ahead of time. Most entree's are $30+. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 83 reviews are from the The Livery Tavern reviews archive.
- Didn't live up to its billingMunkusesDined on 7/25/2014They seem to pride themselves on being the priciest restaurant in town, but for me the food quality, service and general ambiance was not in line with the prices on the menu. In its defense, I did not order one of their steak offerings, which seems to be their specialty.
- worth a detourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I stopped here on the way from Indianapolis to Williamsburg last year and the meal was so gourmet i took a photo of the green salad and photos of the restaurant and told all my friends they should go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Love,love, love, we can never come to Lewisburg/ The Greenbrier without coming to the Livery!Special Features:
- Always exceptionalMikeVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food and service at the Livery Tavern has always been excellent. We go whenever we are in Lewisburg! The roasted beet salad is to die for! This time we had the swordfish and the shrimp and scallops....delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodGuidoDined on 7/12/2014Our second visit. It will not be our last! Most interesting is the ever changing menu items.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantthetravelersDined on 7/5/2014we had a really good, nicely paced meal here with excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyPriceyDined on 7/5/2014Very overpriced for the quailty of the food. Great wine list but they were out of the first 2 selections I made. The final selection was not the vinatge year that was on the wine list. They said, Oh, it just hasnt been updated. I would expect it to be updated by the price of the meal.
- High Quality in a Small TownAmateurFoodieDined on 7/3/2014The Livery Tavern is a big-city restaurant located in a small place! The food was excellent and we enjoyed our dinner there. It was a Thursday night and they had live music, which was both a good and a bad thing. The diningroom itself is really not very large so with the addition of amplified vocals and guitar, all the patrons had to use very loud speaking voices--which really made the place exceptionally loud. This made the feel very energetic but made it difficult to carry on any kind of conversation. It was very busy as well, and I think they had a staffing issue--the managers appeared to be bussing/setting tables and trying to do some serving as well. Overall, a very nice restaurant and high quality food but our night was very loud.Special Features:
- ExquisiteGuidoDined on 6/20/2014Ambiance great, service efficient, food presentation excellent, quality was outstanding. A bit pricy but one gets what one pays for. It' said "be back."Special Features:
- Another great visitMikeVIPDined on 6/14/2014We eat here often and it's always great. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- comoDined on 6/4/2014Great ambience and vibe. The trout was amazing and we both loved the unique Caesar salad with roasted Brussel sprouts. Great use of fresh local ingredients. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!Sid44Dined on 5/30/2014I read the reviews and deceided to give it a try while we were staying at the Greenbrier. Everything I read was true, great food, great service with an excellent wine list. If you are in Lewisburg do yourself a favor and have dinner. Nice little town also. Cheers,Special Features:
- Whats wrong in the kitchen?TravelerVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a well-designed space in a charming country town. The staff is warm and friendly. The wine list is both comprehensive and interesting with staff expertise to match. But........the food took forever, and not on a crowded night, and one dish, the quail appetizer was served severely charred. Maybe this was an exception but its a real shame that a place with such promise didnt deliver.