The Little Owl
90 Bedford Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Little Owl
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelittleowlnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 741-4695
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00am - 2:30pm
Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm Saturday and Sunday (Walk in only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Joey Campanaro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Everything and anything one can imagine.
- Private Party Facilities: We are a full service catering company. Please contact us with any inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Maggie Hollingsworth 2127414695
A word from The Little Owl
This charming 28-seat West Village restaurant has quickly become one of the city's most sought after reservations. Joey Campanaro's simple-yet-inspired American-Mediterranean cuisine, warm hospitality, and a friendly and professional service team, helps create the quintessential New York dining experience for New Yorkers and visitors alike. Inquisitive guests can peek into the kitchen and watch Joey create his signature dishes, including Gravy Meatball Sliders, homemade Ricotta Cavatelli and of course, The Little Owl's famous Pork Chop.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Little Owl reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (158)fit for foodies (144)romantic (100)special occasion (79)great for lunch (51)great for brunch (34)hot spot (34)notable wine list (32)scenic view (15)late-night find (15)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/23/2014Friendly with great service. Menu with lots of choices, but small and main........everything the 4 of us tried was delicious. Scallops with risotto, ricotta cavatelli, polpette, whole fish, citrus salad, yum! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Owl is Big on Satisfaction!mangiamoVIPDined on 11/21/2014We dined here to celebrate our anniversary, which the host did acknowledge when we arrived. We were a few minutes early but they welcomed us and allowed us to have our pick of seats; we chose a lovely spot by the window ledge. We just loved the atmosphere! This restaurant is small but in a very intimate, warm, cozy, romantic and appealing way. The high ceilings and high, paned windows overlooking the tree-lined neighborhood really added to the ambiance. The service was very attentive and the servers were friendly. The best part yet was the food...I had the citrus & palm salad which was refreshing and delicious. My husband had the cavatelli pasta with pesto - yum! My entree: the Nova Scotia Halibut. It was perfectly cooked - crispy on the top but very moist and tender inside. It was served atop mashed potatoes that were mixed with pureed chives. They were spectacular, and the combination of flavors of the halibut and the mashed potatoes, with the accompanying sauce, were extremely savory and scrumptious! My husband had the pork chop which he also loved, particularly the sauce in which it was served. For drinks, the special "orchard" cocktail went down way too smoothly. :) It was so good, and a great blend of flavors, perfect for fall! Dessert was also tasty: warm chocolate cake and pear crisp. I can see why it is so difficult to get a reservation here! MAJORLY YUMMY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a little gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014This is truly a little gem!!! Delicious food, with help with ordering from the staff, great service and wonderful ambiance. A memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i have had worse linguini vongolekeepemhonestVIPDined on 11/17/2014it was swimming in sauce, nevertheless i have to say the clams were good but poorly assembled with the pasta. the atmosphere was nice. not a foodie place.
- Great placeGR58Dined on 11/15/2014Place is small and tight but the food and service were excellent. I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingSuzeVIPDined on 11/15/2014Made a brunch reservation here after seeing it listed on Open Table. It was a little off the beaten path and it is TINY! Tables were so close together that I felt I was eating with strangers. Brunch menu was okay and we were not told about specials until we heard another server offer them to another table but we had already ordered. For such a tiny restaurant service was slow and spotty. Not sure I would make the effort to find this place again. Maybe dinners are more worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!AmazingDined on 11/14/2014The Little Owl is a little gem - fabulous food, special service and a winning wine selection. Truly a memorable evening. The menu is creative and fun, but accessible. The atmosphere is charming and welcoming. Cannot wait to return to this amazing little winner in the a East Village!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in NYCJeffVIPDined on 11/11/2014Went there 10 times in the spring (good luck charm before every NY Rangers playoff game). It's even better now than I remembered. They are so good they are doing my Christmas party. Just go! It's all terrific.Special Features:
- Delectable DishesHowByronicDined on 11/10/2014Reminiscent of the best San Francisco and Los Angeles style farm to table, fresh, perfectly seasoned and cooked dishes! But, better!Special Features:
- A Village must!BeamercatVIPDined on 11/9/2014Great meal here! Worth booking well in advance. Tiny place that seats 40 people plus. Cute as could be with great vibe and food. Extremely popular so book early. The meatball sliders and pork chops were excellent. Add this restaurant to your list for sure. Great service too!Special Features:
- Amazing night at The Little OwlMetroNorthVIPDined on 11/9/2014This is by far not only my favorite but the best restaurant in New York City. The food is consistently amazing as is the service. The ambiance is cute and romantic and combined with the mouth watering food and exceptional service you get here, you can't go wrong. Ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner - Not so much for brunchEastSideDJVIPDined on 11/9/2014I took my wife here for a birthday brunch, it was not our best experience at this restaurant. Our waitress took our order, she did not tell us the specials. We got served brunch in less than 5 mins, drinks were nowhere to be found. We kept asking for our drinks and they finally came at the end of brunch with our bill. She did not even ask if we wanted dessert or apologize for not giving us our drinks. It's almost as she just wanted to get rid of us. The restaurant is tiny, how hard is it to get us our drinks? What really pushed me over the edge is 2 couples got seated to the left and right of us and she was so nice to them, that's how I realized they had specials. Totally killed our bday brunch. Not sure I will be back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovesyummyfoodDined on 11/7/2014They accommodated 3 instead of our reservation for 2 at the last minute WITHIUT FUSS, which is RARE in NYC, they let us take our time enjoying the lunch...and the food, oh the food!!! SPECTACULAR!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Little OwlOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014This is the perfect NYC neighborhood restaurant. It was quaint, the service was amazing and the food was out of this world. Order the linguine and claims, the chicken, and the sliders. You will not regret it!Special Features:
- So good...booozeroDined on 11/5/2014Everything was great, Lamb Shank, Meatball Sliders, donuts for dessert. Awesome little spot hidden in the West Village.Special Features:
- little neighborhood gempoorstreetDined on 11/5/2014west village -- so nice to look out the big windows in this tiny place and watch the neighborhood go by... the menu is not precious, nor is the preparation -- but every morsel we ate was delicious and beautifully served... do make a reservation well in advance, however... we were given a table at 5:15... none available later for many days!Special Features:
- I never review restaurants but....meemoVIPDined on 11/4/2014So easy to be negative, but usually too much trouble to say good things....Except,in this case. Hadn't been to The Little Owl in years, not since they moved. Everything was wonderful, delicious food, great service, delightful surroundings. All in all, a most enjoyable experience. And, you could actually have a conversation, without having to scream over the noise. Simply a great place. Looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/4/2014My husband had the fish special and I had the only dish that was totally safe - the cod, because I'm dairy sensitive. Both dishes were bland. Our favorite part of our meal was dessert. I loved the beignets and my husband really enjoyed his gelato with the nutella sauce that was provided with my beignets. The nutella has milk so I gave it to my husband.Special Features:
- Not to be missedPerfectbiteDined on 11/3/2014Great food. When we say down we were told we would have to leave after 90minutes for the next reservation. Absolutely no problem, I get it.... I was a little late. However, if that is the case, why make me wait 10 minutes for a menu? We had a dessert, delish, but coffee was served when we were done with dessert. All this being said, the servers were very nice and lovely and the food was amazing, especially the truffle risotto and the pork chop!! They are must haves. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - not as good as I was expectingShrimpogeorgeDined on 11/3/2014My two friends and I booked this restaurant as we wanted somewhere special to go for our last meal whilst visiting New York on my birthday weekend. As we are all massive Friends fans, this was the perfect choice. Unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't all we had hoped for - the food was OK (nothing special and the burgers were very greasy), the staff were reasonably attentive and the atmosphere was average. The prices were reasonable I must say. Oh well, we can say that we have eaten there I suppose.Special Features:
- Great HideawayAtlantaVacationerDined on 11/3/2014The Little Owl offered great food and atmosphere. We ate lunch there and the restaurant was packed (I recommend getting a reservation).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Great after all these yearsmadeaseDined on 11/3/2014I'll keep this short. Brought my friend here for a birthday lunch. I hadnt been to Little Owl in maybe 8 years. Always remembered it as a great place for dinner. Excellent ambiance because its so cozy. We ordered a bunch of small plates including the famous meatball sliders as well as this amazing squash dish. We shared a fish dish as the main course. Food was superb. The only thing is the hostess seemed a little absent minded/pre-occupied. Still highly recommend this West Village gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Friendly StaffM2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food was delicious, the scallop entree especially great! We got the cod, chicken, and pork and shared them all... I don't know which one I liked best. The staff was pleasant and efficient. I made the reservation for the wrong number of people (2, not 3) and the hostess was extremely accommodating and understanding... She got us a table within the hour and even texted me updates on timing. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Spectacular!FAF29Dined on 10/28/2014My boyfriend and I went here for his birthday dinner and we could not have been more pleased. The vibe was the great, the staff was attentive, and the food was delicious! We will for sure be going backSpecial Features:
- Wonderful ambiance but rushedmeg112289Dined on 10/28/2014We were here around 9 on a Tuesday night. Very very tiny space which makes for a romantic and intimate environment, but can feel a bit cramped. Service was great, but I definitely felt a bit rushed as I could tell they were on a tight schedule and needed to keep up the pace so they could honker reservations. Food was good but nothing out of this world. You're paying for the ambiance and the fact that the restaurant is in the "friends" building.Special Features:
- Wonderful place with great foodVibekeDined on 10/28/2014The food is amazing and so is the service. We keep coming back. In my opinion, the best restaurant in NYC (and we have tried a lot over the years).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a great spotaddaboyDined on 10/28/2014At first the place does seem a bit too small as you squeeze your way into a table, but that soon disappears once the food arrives and it's fantastic. The service was great the night I was there and a good time was had by all. It does get a bit noisy for those looking for a small room, but it's worth it to try the food. They even break apart dishes in the kitchen for those that want to share that I thought was another nice touch and attention to detail. Definitely a MUST TRY if you haven't already.Special Features:
- Perfect every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/27/2014Meals at Little Owl are consistently top notch with great, unhurried service. Small, intimate atmosphere that makes you feel special. A reservation is hard to get so try to book ASAP.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014great location and ambience with excellent food and service with good vibe. Liked the small intimate feelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/21/2014We brought our Aunt/Uncle here for a birthday dinner. We chose Little Owl because of the quaint feel and great food we had experienced several months prior. Our family members are unadventurous when it comes to cuisine, so finding a place for a celebratory dinner in NYC can sometimes be a challenge. They enjoyed every last bite at The Little Owl! Of course, we started with the sliders and then we all enjoyed a different entree. They got to try a few new ingredients for the first time......butter beans, napa cabbage and aioli to name a few (I said unadventurous, right?). Our server was very pleasant and eager to share her favorites on the menu. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Little OwlFoodforfuelVIPDined on 10/21/2014Such a treat. Mind you, you need to have a reservation and book a few weeks in advance for lunch. It's packed and tiny and you will always see the group tours standing across the street but who cares - the food is always delicious and the table right next to you doesn't care what you and your friend is talking about anyway so it doesn't matter that they'll hear your entire conversation - it's always worth it - beet salad with parmesan, steak tacos with a kick and fresh guac, everything so fresh and lovely. One of my all time faves. You can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Very disappointed. Overpriced and not at all special. Very overrated!!Special Features:
- Fantastic !!!JulieNeil1610Dined on 10/16/2014Made a reservation here for a special anniversary meal on our trip to New York 16/10 14 at 9.45 we arrived early expecting to wait but no they were expecting us and had a special table in the window all ready for us to be seated , the service food ambiance was fantastic and it's a night we will always remember .thank you so much we will definatly dine here again next time 🍴Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceEVFoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014I'd forgotten how lovely Little Owl during the daytime. Light streams into the space, and makes it feel larger than it really is. Every time we've been here, we've loved our food and also wanted to eat what the people next to us were having. It's that kind of place. Lunch was the sliders (off the charts), melon with prosciutto and figs, the steak tacos and a side of cauliflower and snap peas. Everything was simply delicious. Not to be missedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- (Not so) Hidden treasureMrMagisterDined on 10/14/2014Must not be missed! Allows even strangers to feel like friends, well balanced wine list & exceptional food not only served, but presented in a heart warming atmosphere. Magical place..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodleneDined on 10/12/2014The staff was super pro's and friendly. Food was worth every penny! I had the scallup dish and the hallibut, amazing! will probably be back next time i visit NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Even though the reduced space and high demand, the restaurant and its people offers an excellent menu and an outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!!SudmanDined on 10/8/2014Can not praise this restaurant any higher than possibly the best meal we have had ever anywhere around the world. The customer service is 2nd to none we ordered our starter which didn't take that long but they apologised for it being late and supplied us with one of the beef sliders while we wait for our starter to arrive which was a nice touch. Overall all 3 courses we had were amazing. This restaurant is a must visit no matter if you are a local or visitor like our selves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Fav in New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014Little Owl was recommended to me by a friend. LOVED IT. The food was delicious. So many good things on the menu that it was hard to choose. Went for lunch and would definitely go for dinner. On a beautiful street in a charming neighborhood. Now on the top of my list of favorite spots to dine in New York. You won't regret eating here. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectNorwaygirlDined on 10/5/2014A perfect dinner! We were welcomed in and got a wonderful table by the window. Food is delicious, with generous portions. Winelist is good, and service is impeccable. All this, while still able to be laid-back and cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.