The Little Dipper
138 South Front Street
Wilmington, NC 28401Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $30 and under
The Little Dipper
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.littledipperfondue.com/
- Phone: 9102510433
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - until SEASONAL HOURS: Open EVERY DAY Memorial Day through Labor Day 5pm for dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Little Dipper offers onsite preparation of cheese fondue appetizers, a chocolate fondue fountain with fruits and sweets for dipping and other party platter appetizers. Fondue is our specialty although our Chef enjoys creating special dishes for parties and other occasions.
- Private Party Facilities: We have special party platters to accommodate both large and small parties including an assortment of meats, seafood and vegetarian choices.
- Private Party Contact: Kristen Gruodis 9102510433
- Entertainment: We offer live music outside on the back deck on the weekends and special holidays (seasonal - spring/summer/fall.) Call for more detailed information.
A word from The Little Dipper
An experience you won't find at any other restaurant in Wilmington - unique, bold and fun...Fondue! The Little Dipper's menu consists of premium meats, fresh seafood, vegetables and homemade sauces for dipping. Dip organic bread into hot melted cheddar cheese with beer, garlic and spices, prepared tableside by your server. Indulge in blackened filet with a warm au pouivre, sashimi grade tuna dipped in Asian ginger sauce or shrimp drenched in wasabi lime aioli. For dessert don't pass up strawberries dipped in milk chocolate, or bananas dipped in warm dark chocolate blended with smooth peanut butter. The dining environment is casual and hip with bright colors and rich cherry wood. Each table is handmade with built-in electric burners where the guests cook together in one common fondue pot. Whether you are with a large group celebration or out for an intimate dinner for two, Fondue is special and different! Join us soon and get hooked!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Little Dipper - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
The Little Dipper reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (91)romantic (78)good for groups (68)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (28)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (18)late-night find (14)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Intimate and delightfulArtmarkDined on 10/26/2014Great time, great food and great service! We had a wonderful time and the atmosphere was great. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014This is the 7th time we have eaten there and each time is excellent. This is our favorite place in Wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekEwcooper3Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent way to try a Restaurant without the high cost. Waiter was fantastic; very helpful for first timers. For that type of food, the food was very good. Would go back for a special occasion if other than Restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Little DipperclzgDined on 10/22/2014Great place for Ladies Night! Met my daughter and a friend and had a great time! Food was really good and the service was fantastic. Colby was very attentive, made suggestions and was always there when we needed him. The Host Staff was very plesant. We had a great time! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Took 4 hours from Start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Don't go to this place with more than 4 people. You will be hit with added tips and horrible service. Since the tips are automatically added the waiter doesn't care about the service. Our reservation was for 6:30, we ordered at 7 and didn't leave until 10, not because we were slow, but because of the service. We were told the kitchen was slammed. Why? They don't have to do anything; we cook our own food, just bring it to the table. The waitress kept forgetting everything: drinks, salad dressing, one salad was missing. The skewers that you use to cook your food stunk very badly. We had 6 people in our party and we ordered a prefix deal for $27pp, but for some reason we only got 2 orders of cheese and dessert even thou we had 3 couples.Special Features:
- Great Time...KaykayDined on 10/15/2014This was a great spot for a little co-worker meet up outside of the job to collaborate and mingle. Great atmosphere and environment!Special Features:
- Love this place!Ilmnative75Dined on 10/9/2014We have visited The Little Dipper every year for our anniversary after eating there the night after our wedding 8 years ago. My wife and I love everything about the place. From the building, the food, and the staff, all are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSaintMegery15Dined on 10/8/2014I have been to The Little Dipper many times, and I've never had a bad experience! I love it here for many reasons: the staff are courteous and are awesome at what they do, the food is always superb, and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:
- Ladies night outRushedDined on 10/8/2014They make you feel rushed. The staff kept saying my mgr wants you to move it along they have reservations after you and during the time we were there we were surrounded by empty tables .
- great date nightpickyeater713Dined on 10/6/2014Been here before for a birthday but decided to bring my partner for a nice romantic date night. We had such a great dining experience. The food and drinks were delicious and reasonably priced and our server was outstanding. He was knowledgeable and extremely helpful especially Being that my partner and I are semi picky eaters and we have food allergies they were more than accommodating. We needed a nice romantic night out for the two of us and this place really set tone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingalabodeDined on 10/6/2014Brought my mother here for her birthday and we were able to partake in the Local's Night. From the cheese to the chocolate to the pumpkin sangria, everything was decadant. Little Dipper let me celebrate my mother in style!Special Features:
- Overall excellent!MissiMoyDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I ate here for our one year wedding anniversary. We were seated in a private booth with a candle filled fire place and champagne on the table. Our server was excellent and very helpful in navigating the menu as well as with suggestions when it came to what cooking style is best with which entree and dipping sauces. We couldn't have asked for a better meal experience for our special night. We will definitely be back. The Little Dipper is now in our top 5 favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies NightLBrownDined on 10/1/2014It is really a great place and love ladies night. Our waitress was very pleasant and I am looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014The Little Dipper is such a great dining experience, made special by the great servers and intimate atmosphere.Special Features:
- Amazing food and servicelovefondueDined on 9/28/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday while we were visiting Wilmington. Our server was friendly and very knowledgeable about the food served and was very attentive to us. The food was incredible and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- KarenfromCaryDined on 9/27/2014Great experience! The cheese appetizer fondue and chocolate dessert fondue were fabulous. The entrée was very good, but not quite the same wow factor. Would definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and specialsFoodieGirlDined on 9/24/2014Me and my girlfriend went on ladies night where they have a special of $9 a person for cheese and chocolate. It was so good! They had a special Gouda for the evening and it was amazing! This place is great for large groups or just a small party. Love treating myself to a fondue dinner here. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Dipper is Awesome!LuvtoeatfondueDined on 9/24/2014We love to celebrate on ladies night! Best deal in town. Curious friendly service!Special Features:
- Fun NightwineandineDined on 9/20/2014Group of 4. Lots of food, laughter and and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Romance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I love coming here for dates and anniversaries! The atmosphere is wonderful, with just the right amount of table privacy. Every time we have gone to the Little Dipper, we have had a fantastic server. The food is amazing too!Special Features:
- cheese and dessertbig20Dined on 9/19/2014The best part of our night was the cheese and the chocolate! The actual entree was not good at all. We were highly disappointed after all we had read and heard about. Honestly it would have been a lot better if our waiter would have explained everything instead of leaving it all to the one person at our table who had only been there one prior time. At least now we know that fondue is not our favorite but it was a nice restaurant that im sure anyone who likes fondue will enjoy!Special Features:
- Fun fun funOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Unique fun experince, great end to a day in downtown Wilmington.Special Features:
- Great date night!emccannDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went and had a fabulous time! The server was really helpful in helping us decide what food and cooking styles to choose and was very attentive.Special Features:
- Delicious but noisyCyndarita41Dined on 9/6/2014We went in for my husband's birthday and the food was wonderful. Large selection to choose from and everything was fresh. Our server was attentive and knowledable, making several recommendations that were perfection. The drink selection was interesting and ours were well made and tasty. The ambiance was just ok and the noise level was higher than I anticipated, but overall it was an excellent meal with great service.Special Features:
- Love the Little Dipper!aodellDined on 9/3/2014A large group of us went to the Little Dipper for ladies night on Wednesday. Our server was excellent and the food was totally delicious. Definitely a great experience!Special Features:
- Great NightKristi0831Dined on 8/30/2014We went to celebrate my 30th birthday, we put it on the reservation and everyone I came in contact with wished me a happy birthday. The waitress was excellent and made our dining experience quick and easy without rushing us. The food was devine as usual. I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone who has never tried it. If you think you've had fondue and you didn't like it, try it here!! It's a whole other experience entirely! LOVE!!! Will be heading back soon!Special Features:
- luvthedipperluvthedipperDined on 8/30/2014We have been to the dipper many times and EVERY time you get outstanding service, food and ambience. We love it! Always take visitors there for a truly excellent culinary experience that is fun and delicious! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Service was fine but not very personable.....server could have made it a better experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue without breaking the bankLoriVanDined on 8/23/2014My family loves fondue, but when only 2 of us are dining, the amount of food (and the expense) at other fondue restaurants has often been too much. The Little Dipper offers some great specials during the week where you can sample small portions, or just have cheese and chocolate, for a very reasonable price. Even Saturday, you can choose to share a meal on the regular menu, resulting in far less waste. My daughter and I had salad, cheese, a sampler entree, and dessert for under $50 recently. And the food is delicious!Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Service is always the best and the food is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!foodiexoDined on 8/20/2014Little Dipper is a great place to dine! It can be a little pricey but they offer different specials every weeknight to make it more affordable. The food is consistently great along with the service and their seasonal cocktails are great too! The outdoor area has a great romantic atmosphere if the weather is right. I've been dining here for 8 years and will continue to do so. I'll choose this local spot over a chain restaurant every time.Special Features:
- Love this place!localdiningloveDined on 8/18/2014I love going to the Little Dipper! Normally I go with friends but it's also great for a date! It is a small restaurant but has a great deck and nice environment. I have never had a bad experience here, and they have great specials throughout the week that make your meal even more enjoyable. For anyone who wants to go to a fondue restaurant should definitely pick this place over the Melting Pot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Foodie4lyfeDined on 8/15/2014Such a great environment. The only complaint I have is a table next to us was very obnoxiously drunk and it was hard to hear my friends over them. But food was great and service was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and great servicethefoodguyDined on 8/10/2014First time at the restaurant and the waiter was very helpful and kind. He took time to explain everything and offered suggestions when asked. Very nice and attentive. Food is fantastic and portions are good. Expect an experience and to enjoy yourself while there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and AtmospherePedroDined on 8/9/2014Great find! Very friendly waitress, amazing food, and all-around great experience. Very cozy two-person seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningCkoonstDined on 8/8/2014This was my first time at any fondue restaurant, and it was fabulous. I loved the cozy little booth and the decorations were wonderful. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgable. Got the date night deal which seemed to be a wonderful value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FondueFanDined on 8/6/2014The Smoked Gouda fondue is awesome! We tried the new seasonal cheese and were very happy! Definitely a strong flavor but that's what you expect for smoked Gouda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerlittledipperDined on 8/5/2014We had a wonderful experience. We ordered the dinner for four and it was wonderful.Special Features:
- Amazing!!CmwilliamsDined on 8/2/2014We went solely for dessert while visiting Wilmington. It was absolutely delicious and the service was great. When I find myself back in town, I plan on coming back to try their dinner. Very reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantfreemelDined on 8/2/2014This was a wonderful, first time experience. We couldn't have picked a better restaurant to celebrate our anniversary at! Everything was perfect from the service, to the taste of food and the atmosphere. We will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.