The Little Dipper - Durham
905 West Main Street
Durham, NC 27701Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $30 and under
The Little Dipper - Durham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.littledipperfondue.com/durham
- Phone: (919) 908-1023
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday, Open at 5pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Little Dipper - Durham
The Little Dipper was established in Wilmington, NC in 2005 and Durham is the second location, opened April 2013. The Little Dipper is a full service fondue restaurant, with a menu that includes cheese fondue, salads and soups, meats, seafood, vegetarian items and chocolate fondue, along with a special Sunday Brunch menu with a twist. We have handmade tables with burners built into them, allowing the guest to cook their own food right at the table. We are known for our specially sauces, all homemade and delicious for dipping cooked meats and seafoods. We offer an extensive wine list and unique cocktails with personality!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Little Dipper - Durham - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
The Little Dipper - Durham reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (96)romantic (87)fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (52)hot spot (24)late-night find (19)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Pure excellence !!! I would go again anytime !!! Customer Service was on pointSpecial Features:
- Date Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Very romantic and intimate setting, lots of fun and the food is phenomenal. Paired with an excellent selection of beer and wine, you'd be hard pressed to find a better place for a date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super FunBullCityBadBoyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Awesome experience! Great Food! Nice change of pace! Friendly staff. Great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration DinnerOccasionalSandwichDined on 11/8/2014Came here with a group of 5 and were seated in the back. Because we arrived at 5pm there was no one next to us in the back area. The food was great and the staff was very quick to explain everything to my family. 5pm was a great time because after Cheese, salad/soup, entree, dessert we left at a time everyone was happy with.Special Features:
- Fondue YUMMousseloverVIPDined on 10/31/2014We enjoy a certain chain fondue restaurant, but only for special occasions because it is SO OVERPRICED! The Little Dipper is better in most every way. The filet was better, the dessert was better and generously portioned. If I offered any suggestion it would only be to dim the overhead lights a bit. We will be back, and won't wait for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fondue in Raleigh Durham areaOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014Excellent fondue restaurant and fine alternative to the melting pot chain. Good location and atmosphere along with convenient parking. A good food and drink menu as well. Service was very professional and knowledge able.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimeFoodDudeDined on 10/24/2014Went to Little Dipper for dinner with the family on Duke Parents Weekend. Good service, really good! Good food. We lost track of time and at no time felt as they tried to push us out to turn the table. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumGodotDined on 10/24/2014We had never even really paid attention to this place until getting a LivingSocial for it -- we were always Melting Pot people when we wanted this kind of food. The Little Dipper did not disappoint. The food was excellent, and the restaurant is very quaint with a good hometown feel. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The usual fondue experiencecajcDined on 10/22/2014Love the décor and atmosphere! The fondue experience is very similar the chain fondue restaurant we are familiar with. I found the salad to be a little too small and the bowl of bread served with the cheese to be too large. Everything was good and there service was great until I was asked for my living social voucher while I was still eating. I found this to be very unprofessional. I had to hunt for it on my phone and did not appreciate the disruption. The restaurant was getting full since it was ladies night, and this made me feel very rushed.Special Features:
- Delicious foodAllieDined on 10/21/2014The food here was great. There were almost too many options! Our server was funny and helped us decide was to order. My only complaint is about the acoustics in the restaurant. We had friends dining at the same time in a different section and they said they were able to hear us! We were sitting higher than them and could only hear the noise from our side of the restaurant. It's a romantic setting and activity and it's embarrassing to know our conversation could be heard across the restaurant.Special Features:
- Some of the WORST service...DineOnDined on 10/21/2014I've only been here once before, and the first time was great. This time, however, was pretty miserable. Keep in mind this was a Tuesday night. No one came to greet us until 20 mins after we had been seated... drinks came after 40 mins at the table (no water, though). First course finally came after being there for over an hour, and the rest of the dinner was just as slow. We ended up being there a total of 2.5 hours. Having both worked full days at work, it was just too long for a Tuesday night. To top it off, no apology about the service until he handed me our bill. Too little too late. Do not think I will return after such a poor experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding, As UsualPhilDined on 10/19/2014We always enjoy our visits to the Little Dipper. The food is suburb and the usual is made unusual. It's always an adventure choosing from the many delicious selections. Fondue can actually be delicious and fun as well.Special Features:
- Unique and Wonderful FondueLuvMyVeggiesDined on 10/18/2014This was my first trip to The Little Dipper but I have had fondue a handful of times at various Melting Pot locations. While I've never been displeased at a Melting Pot, what really sets the Little Dipper apart are the local ingredients and the the main course offerings. For the cheese course they offer bread that comes from the bakery up the street (Ninth Street Bakery) and for the main course you can get delights such as sashimi grade tuna and pimento cheese ravioli. We tried all of these and everything was amazing. Our server was also excellent and the whole evening was just a delight. We will definitely return for our next special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulckpandcmpDined on 10/18/2014This was our third visit and it has been fantastic every time. Great service, upbeat atmosphere, beautiful plating. They make a sincere effort to use products from other local merchants and they are very proud of that fact, which I greatly admire. This time, we wanted Sangria but it wasn't on their drink menu, so the bartender concocted some especially for us and it was beyond spectacular...the best Sangria either of us has ever had. We love having dinner here, we will always enthusiastically recommend them, and will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceYummyDined on 10/17/2014This was our first experience at a fondue restaurant. We had a great time and the food was wonderful. Don't be in a hurry, we were there 2 1/2 hours.Special Features:
- Top Notchsteve1955Dined on 10/9/2014Excellent all around, would do again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, Great PeopleMeganHatsDined on 10/8/2014Love The Little Dipper! One of the owners, Ben, is so friendly and goes out of his way to make sure your experience is the best it can be. Waiters and waitresses are all knowledgeable of the menu and all the different fondue styles, and are welcoming and fun!Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014My visit there was surprisingly good. And the service was even better.Special Features:
- wonderful anniversary dinnerScottDined on 10/8/2014My wife and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary at Little Dipper. We particularly like the locally sourced food and really enjoyed the cheese course with smoked cheddar from a Durham creamery with jalapenos and bacon. We were scraping the bottom of the bowl to get it all. For the meat course we chose to do chicken, beef, and shrimp and the seasonal broth which was a light broth with lemon in it. I also like the beef and port broth Selecting the dipping sauces is always a discussion for us because there are so many good choices. We particularly like the Au Poivre for the beef. Have to have chocolate for dessert and they also gave us a slice of cheesecake and 2 glasses of champagne for our anniversary. We will be back!Special Features:
- Juanita EvansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014It was wonderful. The owner was so Nice he talked to us about How long he owned the business with his wife. The fondue was great. We didn't order dessert because we were stuff.But owner came out with a free sample of chocolate fondue ,fruit and pound cake. YUMMY. Excellent! !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fondue Experience!luvfoodpornDined on 9/27/2014Didn't know what we've been missing by going to a different fondue place all these years. This one blows that one out of the water in every sense...ambiance, quality, taste, service & prices!Special Features:
- Pleasant surprise!MaryDined on 9/26/2014I had never heard of the Little Dipper, but took a chance and purchased a Living Social voucher. Fondue is one of my daughters favorite type of restaurants, so we went for her birthday. Our first impression walking through Tobacco Square was great! What a neat area. Once we were inside we continued to be impressed with the way it was decorated! The staff, from the hostess to the waiter could not have been any nicer! The food was wonderful and we had an amazing time!! They were so nice to my daughter. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a groupkck1202Dined on 9/20/20146 of us gals from work went to The Little Dipper for a "Ladies Night" before going to a DPAC show. None of us had been there and we will all go back. The decor was beautiful and the staff was very helpful. We started off with 2 cheeses, the Cheddar Ale and Baja Cheddar. Both were delicious. Next we had salads, then our main course (the filet was amazing). Then the best part - the chocolate! We had Salted Caramel (local special) and the Smores. We are still talking about how much fun we had. One piece of advice - allow 3 hours to really enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealSpyHeldermanDined on 9/18/2014We went to celebrate a friend's birthday. The atmosphere was great and the menu was wonderful. I especially liked the local menu offered for both drinks and food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Truly enjoyed the food, the service was amazing, and the ambiance was perfect for a truly special date.Special Features:
- Nice for fonduejbrowneDined on 9/7/2014All fondue restaurants are pricey, and this one is no different, but it irritated me that they only offer one saute for the listed price. To get anything but chicken broth you have to pay $5 more. This was true of every course, rapidly changing the price of the meal from reasonable to a bit outrageous. The food was very good, but I prefer no bait-and-switch set-up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceAmy3Dined on 9/6/2014We were a group of 6 on a Saturday night. We spent 2 1/2 hours over a relaxed and entertaining meal. The service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Dedicate some time to this!Worldfoodies75Dined on 9/6/2014We first tried Little Dipper as a place to get a nice meal before a show at DPAC. WRONG! To experience this enjoyable form of dining properly, allocate two hours on average. Our server Gabriella took her time explaining the various nuances of the comprehensive menu and led us through the myriad decisions concerning food types, quantity, cooking form, and more. The result was a fun, romantic, and thoroughly rewarding dining experience. The locally-sourced food is carefully selected and is delicious when following the suggestions given by the staff. Do NOT pass dessert by....it is entirely worth it and caps the entire experience nicely.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerLuv2dinewithhubsDined on 9/5/2014We've never been to a fondue restaurant before so our first experience was at Little Dipper and it was wonderful. We enjoyed every course and it was relaxing. You didn't feel rushed and you actually enjoyed the food and the company you were sharing your meal with because it was a slow pace but in a good way. It's always good to remember what you ate and how it tasted. We will most definitely be dining at Little Dipper again. Thanks for making my Birthday dinner with my husband one of the best with fabulous memories too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place for fondue!foodieDined on 9/5/2014The Little Dipper uses local produce and ingredients to produce the best fondue experience! Whether you are in the Triangle or Wilmington, The Little Dipper is the only place you should consider for fondue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot!VHixDined on 9/5/2014Had a great birthday dinner. I highly recommend the champagne cocktail.Special Features:
- Blown Away!IPowDined on 9/4/2014I decided to come here for my birthday just to do something different than just to go out and eat. I loved it! We got the special for $65 for a couple and got a 3 course meal with wine/beer pairing. The cheese plate was amazing, came with bread, broccoli, apples and a few other things. The dinner portion of the meal was just ok but I didn't want to rate the restaurant badly because its my fault i chose the Tempe, mushroom and ravioli. I'm not a vegetarian but i saw ravioli and rosemary potatoes on the list and I was sold but i wish i went for one of the meat platters. The chocolate fondue was amazing and came out with strawberries, pineapple, banana, marshmallows and powdered sugar and graham crackers. Would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- Loving Ladies' NightyayfoodDined on 9/3/2014I went here with a group of nine girls. They were able to accommodate this large group and our servers were very friendly. The selection of fondues was vast and it was difficult to choose because they all sounded delicious. Thankfully, our servers gave us tips and explained the process. The dippers for both cheese and chocolate were wonderful. It was a birthday dinner and The Little Dipper really made our group feel welcome and special!Special Features:
- Favorite New Fondue Spotpickyeater88Dined on 8/31/2014My fiance and I love fondue, and normally go to a small, non-chain fondue place in Colorado. The food here was not only much better than what we get there, but it was also cheaper. I love that they have such a great assortment of salads and dipping sauces as well. They also mix the cheese in front of you and let it melt down at your table, which we really loved.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch - ANReviewANReviewDined on 8/31/2014My girlfriend and I have been on fondue kick since early August. Anywho, the place looked clean and polished. Very well decorated with a variation of different seating. We sat in a cozy 'L' shaped corner both that was perfect for cuddling! We attended this establishment for the Sunday Brunch and found the food to be delicious! Bagel and Lox as the first course. Second up, we had a well constructed potato soup, although we were expecting potato chucks. Thirdly, we enjoyed the 'Do It Yourself' French Toast - Delicious! To top the meal off we indulged in a Fluffernutter chocolate and peanut butter fondue. It was quite enjoyable, although we wished the dessert fondue was melted a bit more. Overall, great place. Recommend. -A&NSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion sizeAnniversaryDinersDined on 8/30/2014Dinner for 2 only had 3 pieces of shrimp, 3 bites of chicken, and 3 bites of steak for each person.Special Features:
- Family funluv2dineDined on 8/29/2014Overall great experience @ The Little Dipper. Multiple age groups in our party and all loved the experience. Our waitress was amazing and one of the top reasons the rating given is 5 stars!Special Features:
- Great Experiencefoodie4lifeDined on 8/29/2014It was a great place to dine without the children. Not a weekly dining place but certainly special occasion worthy.Special Features:
- Great for special occasionperkbearDined on 8/24/2014If you've never done fondue, you should definitely check out The Little Dipper! The decor and ambiance of the restaurant is great for a romantic dinner or fun night out with friends. They have great daily deals that I want to go back and take advantage of! I took my fiance there for his 30th birthday and our waiter Brett was so helpful and kind. They even treated us to a champagne toast for the occasion! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014If you're looking for something to look forward to during the week, definitely get a reservation down at Little Dipper and bring some friends. My boyfriend and I had a double date planned and it was such a pleasure. Delicious food and fun catch up time. Finished the night out with games and more drinks at West End BilliardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.