The Lion's Share
629 Kettner Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
Wild GamePrice: $30 and under
The Lion's Share
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lionssharesd.com/
- Phone: 6195646924
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Scott Mickelson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Lion's Share
In addition to modern American fare, The Lion's Share features exotic meats seldom found in other restaurants. The menu pairs well with an interesting wine list focused around small production wineries.Continued
Last, but not least, they offer hand-crafted cocktails considered amongst the best in the city in an eclectic atmosphere with a friendly staff.
Last, but not least, they offer hand-crafted cocktails considered amongst the best in the city in an eclectic atmosphere with a friendly staff.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
The Lion's Share - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
The Lion's Share reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (27)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (13)romantic (10)special occasion (8)good for groups (7)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good Food AND Good Service....JayelmVIPDined on 8/21/2014I stopped here for drinks one night and was so impressed with the service and the ambience, that I returned to have dinner. I was greeted and seated very quickly. My server, Brandon, made a prompt appearance and helpede to decide which craft cocktail to have asking my taste preferences and about my liquor. I had the Bee-Sting which was a gin drink wit ginger and lemon. It was great! I followed that with a bruschetta Caprese. So delicious. Brandon took some time to help me with my entree decision and I settled on their burger. It was done medium rare and the fries were perfect. Finally, I want to say that Brandon made my experience! His expertise with the menu and bar and his ease with his customers pointed to a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsimisshassrattailDined on 8/17/2014I've been going here damn near since they opened. Food is always delicious and tends toward the approachable side of adventurous (leastways by my standards.) I've never been disappointed and I used to go every Monday after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and Intriguing FindLVdinesceneDined on 8/13/2014This is a very different restaurant from most in the San Diego area. The menu is unique because of its touch of wild game. It's close to bay side attractions and hotels. Easy access by trolley. Not a place to take children. I would prefer to sit in the bar or at the bar.Special Features:
- a foodies choice!jensDined on 8/4/2014this small but charming restaurant was just what we were looking for. the menu had nice variety. we ordered the sausage plate to share, the quail & waffles & the crudo. everything was excellent, our server (brandon) was very knowledgeable and we'll definitely be coming back for the late night menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lion's share, diamond in the rough.downtownbrowneDined on 7/25/2014The ambiance is fairly dark, yet there was a full house, but at the same time my dinner felt intimate. Feels like a speak easy. Food was good, had the venison carpacci, and the sausage board. Would probably not get the sausage again because with ground meats made into sausage you lose some of the authenticity of the meat. Sausage just seems to taste like sausage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would recommend4estDined on 7/11/2014we had a great time at the lions share. yummy food, amazing ambiance, and terrific service. favorite side dish was the poutine. would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Very niceBethDined on 6/28/2014Great ambiance nice simple menu of different food than the California cuisine, service was a little slow at time but server was very knowledgeable about menu, great signature drinks must have been made a bartender who enjoys his craft. Didn't stay for dessert but sounded like a nice finish to an already deliscious mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotCheerioDined on 6/22/2014Great food and service. Bizarrely, do not serve coffee of tea....need an espresso machine. Wine glasses provided covered in water marks. Would come back for sure.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere and foodMJF3VIPDined on 6/21/2014The Lion's Share features good, strong drinks, and well-cooked game, including venison, rabbit, etc. The only fault I would note on my last visit is that the reduction/sauce on the meat was slightly undercooked, and therefore had a bit of unevaporated alcohol in it. But the venison per se, was perfectly cooked medium rare. Good service, good drinks, and an almost very good entree. I'll definitely give them another try. People with poor vision may find the restaurant overly-dark. Only the front room has windows.Special Features:
- the good, the bad & the uglyheavenlyMaryDined on 6/20/2014The good- happy hour is the best- ability to try not so ordinary food without a big bill The bad- they were not serving their antelope or wild boar sliders when we got there. And I do miss their bourbon glazed pork belly The ugly- lighting- they need to have a bit more lighting to read the menu and the horrible glare from the doorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of Downtown, hands down.SigneDined on 6/20/2014Lion's Share is local and a sweet gem of a place. I only take friends here, because it is so special. The food is brilliant, the service is friendly and very knowledgeable. Everyone at Lion's Share takes great care to make your dining experience a pleasurable and memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable All AroundSDLocalEatsDined on 6/13/2014Great beer list, craft cocktails & wine. However, as great as the beverage assortment was, the food blows you away. They have a really different menu that allows diners to play with food they may have never tried. Great for San Diego foodies and craft beer or wine snobs alike! We got the antelope sliders, lamb tacos, and nightly fish special (salmon), then couldn't resist the white chocolate brownie for dessert. All were delectable and beyond satisfying. The ambiance is dark with a nice bar in the back, and local renditions of classic paintings all around. It sets the scene for a different experience. The service was friendly, attentive and helped make our night special - particularly Jessica & Has.Special Features:
- Good food and drinks.StaceyBDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed a nice mix of interesting aps and nice artisan drinks. The server was nice and helpful. We opted for aps as most of the meals were meat based and rather adventurous (duck etc.), which we enjoy but weren't in the mood for that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!BundiDined on 5/27/2014Some of the best food and atmosphere I've found thus far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty critters!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2014Everything we tried was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. I expected to see more options for entrees but in the end it didn't matter. The atmosphere was very cool- I wish this place was around when I lived in the marina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the BestSigneDined on 5/15/2014I only wish I could go to Lion's Share more often, but whenever I go, it's excellent. It's one of those places that is reliably great, but never boring. And the service is wonderful. I only bring special friends here who can fully appreciate the menu and the atmosphere. It's a comfortable, inviting place that never puts on airs, or tries to adhere to a trend. The food is always just so, and the drinks are so well made. I can always be myself here, and that's about as a high a praise as I can offer.Special Features:
- Has is boss!LuvasazeracDined on 5/2/2014Has makes mind-bending cocktails. I wish this place had bunk beds or cots or something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New server? Lots of mistakes.GHitchDined on 5/2/2014Not sure if our server was new, but he made several mistakes. He first brought over the neighboring tables drink and left it at our table. We drank it of course. They later brought over their appetizer. We told them it wasn't ours and he gave it to the table next to us. That's when we noticed the women next to use drink has been empty for awhile. When we received our bill we noticed that wrong appetizer was on our bill. They fixed it, but seriously so many mistakes? I went here for Kangaroo, which unfortunately isn't on the menu anymore. The food was good, but nothing special. Service needs a lot of improvement. It did take us awhile to get our drinks originally.Special Features:
- The following 90 reviews are from the The Lion's Share reviews archive.
- Neighborhood GemL2LeeDined on 4/19/2014Fresh, local, eclectic culinary artistry. Third visit. Here's to many more. Wonderful spot to share several hours with a small group of friends or your dearest companion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014We loved Lion's Share. The decor was unique and nice. The food was amazing. Awesome place!Special Features:
- Great LocalPembVIPDined on 4/4/201462 steps from the bar to our bed! Service always great, shout out to Josh in particular. Happy hour is great value but hard to steer away from the wild style burger and pork ragu pasta, both exceptional. Cocktails are great / old school. Very cool that with your bill you receive a postcard. If you fill it in and post it by the door, they will add a stamp and send it for you. Nice touch.Special Features:
- Fun and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2014We came here for my birthday, and had a really good time. Our server was ok. I didn't actually know she was our server until after we had gotten apps & drinks, I thought she was the hostess. She was nice, but not particularly helpful or attentive. She also didn't seem to like that my dad wanted 3 little containers of ketchup. Lol. Oh, well. I got the steak frites, which were yummy. Not really "frites" as I am accustomed to (cafe Chloe, etc) but more just crunchy potato chip strips. The venison was delicious, and cooked perfectly. The art on the walls is amazing. I want my house to look like this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great happy hour, interesting vibecrc22Dined on 3/29/2014Other reviews pretty accurate, except we do not share the enthusiasm for the chicken liver. Consistency of ground beef, overly seasoned with cumin, couldn't tell it was liver at all. Burger was good. We enjoyed the deviled eggs but they did need a bit of salt. Cocktails were fantastic, and can't beat the $6 happy hour price, particularly in this neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lion must be on a diet.....!GearheadfmcDined on 3/28/2014Drinks were good but over priced by $3-4. Bison cheese steak was nothing special. A small kid-sized portion without much flavor. Wagu Satay was horrible unless you like grease to dominate. This was a long way from the Wagu I know. The table couldn't finish the dish-- not because of the dreadfully small amount but because of the taste. Either greasy or old meat taste. Take your choice of pick. The antelope sliders were flavorless. The bun was ok and the pickled onion was ok -- wait, maybe there was no antelope? Fries .... Hard to ruin but...... Ehhhhh The bottle beer was good! In the end, 4 people, three pint-sized dishes and a $ 190 bill..... Phhhbbbbb! Equals wasted hard- earned money. No going back for us!
- Ambiance great but dishes hit/missOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2014I saw quite the rave reviews and knew I needed to check out a gastropub-like place during my trip to SD. Upon entering, I could see the great decor and environment elements that made me really dig the place from the light fixtures to the paintings to how the bar was set up. The service was great, and we ended up ordering a lot of different plates to get a good sense of the menu. Though in concept they all sounded fantastic, I think some of the dishes were underseasoned and then others were overseasoned. The deviled eggs were bland even with their accompaniments. The salad with the beef skewers was overdressed. The rabbit sausage was a saving dish as was the yellowtail tartare (for the most part). We enjoyed the cocktails as well.Special Features:
- first time to lion sharezsv5Dined on 3/25/2014Food and cocktails were very good. I recommend the antelope sliders!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestAGreen89Dined on 3/17/2014The Lion's Share is the best bar AND the best restaurant in San Diego, California. A must-visit for all. 'Nough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotgr8mealDined on 3/11/2014If you enjoy wild game in a funky atmosphere, this is the place for you. Tasty food, caring service, great location near the gaslampp district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExoticRamigoDined on 3/4/2014Good food, a little slow service, worth the wait for the food though. A bit too crowded. Ina previous visit they had a more diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience1JDoriusDined on 2/16/2014I've been to the Lion Share a few times for there cocktails and have a cheese plate but never dinner. Looking at the menu I was a little concerned because of its unique options. It greatly exceeded expectations and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wild Game GourmetdiningshamanDined on 2/14/2014Reserved for 6 and arrived with 7 and they cheerfully accommodated us and were we delighted they could. We all had the wild boar special with a sausage, a tenderloin, a flat iron cut, & a chop and all fantastically prepared. The service was impeccable and everyone had an extraordinary time. I deliciously watched the many other wild game preparations come to neighboring tables. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Menu and CocktailsJFKNMDined on 2/9/2014The menu is perfect, small size with well thought out choices. Really unique wild game options. I like this because you can not find a lot of restaurants that do this well. The cocktails are classic with fresh twists and well mixed. I would come here to hang out at the bar even if I was not eating. The decor is unique with a morbid twist, very cool. I do not live in San Diego, but I can say that this is one place I will make sure to go here when I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That is a burger!SDGUAHANDined on 2/8/2014Wild Style Burger was extremely tasty. Same goes for the truffle fries that came with aioli and ketchup. No question that the saltiness of the meal comes through, but I think so many good textures and flavors are contributing to a still impressive burger. Best to share at $20. Service is well-meant but very awkward.Special Features:
- Something new, something exotic!LillyJamesDined on 2/1/2014I took my husband there for his birthday and I knew he would love the restaurant. We had several appetizers because we wanted to try their various exotic menu. Just like the name of the restaurant, The Lion's Share, cAptures the type of food you would get here! We ordered, Moroccan chicken liver served with pita bread and this was the highlight of our night! We love organ meats and this dish just to die for! Rabbit sausage served with toasts, pickled carrot and red onion, and very grainy mustard, was also delightful! We ordered 2 salads and some antelope sliders and wbBLT - wild boar BLT. Wow!!! Those were heaven! The service also was excellent! Nice bar space to hang out, get some snack, and drinks. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu with a twistDiningPattyDined on 1/24/2014The wild game menu was a great twist on a San Diego restaurant menu. We ordered multiple starters in lieu of an entre to get a chance to try a little of everything. Everything was well prepared with a lot of thought by the chef. The walls were beautifully decorated with paintings that I will not give away for surprise for your visit. The only down side to the night was that the noise level was completely out of hand. This was in both the bar and the restaurant area. Each table had to talk louder than the next to compete, and pretty soon everyone was yelling at each other to hear across the tables. I wonder if this was due to Restaurant Week, and will certainly give it another try on another night. Good value for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good lions shareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/12/2014Really, really enjoyed our dinner at the Lions Share. The food was creative and well presented. The ambiance was very comfortable and the wait staff was just absolutely informed on the menu, not to mention attentive. Thank you Aubrey. Gary& kimSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've already been recommendingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/1/2014We've already been recommending this place to people. Would definitely return to try more of their dishes and starters. The ambience in this place is great. The Artwork is fabulous. The antelope sliders were top notch! The service was a little slow but we heard another couple saying it was our server's first night, so that will not prevent us from returning. When we got our bill, we also got a postcard that we could write out and address to someone and they said they would send it out for us, we LOVED this! Overall a great new experience!Special Features:
- Great food and cocktails butPembVIPDined on 11/30/2013Great food and cocktails but definitely a bit noisy (other guests / noise travels).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More like a bar with foodTiflabrunoDined on 11/23/2013My drink was excellent *the Pepperdine*. The eggs were okay but had been chilled so long they had no flavor. The sausage trio was very good, the mussels were decent. It is very loud and very fun, but I would not recommend for a date or if you needed to have a conversation while you ate.Special Features:
- Unique menu, fun place.TasmanVIPDined on 11/22/2013Had a nice meal, not very large so Make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.