62 West 9th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelionnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 353-8400
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10pm
Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:30am
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Delucie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenue
- Public Transit:
The A C E or B D F M to West 4th Street station and head 2 blocks north.
The 1 2 3 to 14th Street Station and head 5 blocks south.
The 1 to Christopher Street Sheridan, 2 blocks east to 6th avenue and walk up to 9th street.
- Parking: No
A word from The Lion
John DeLucie is the Chef Proprietor of The Lion, Bill's Food & Drink, and Crown restaurants in New York City. The Lion opened in May 2010 on beautiful tree-lined West 9th street – it features a menu consistent with the Chef himself, classic American with undeniable Italian influences. Bill's Food & Drink opened in November 2012 in Midtown, and features hearty American cuisine. Crown opened September of 2011, in a 1930's mansion steps away from The Metropolitan Museum of Art on the Upper East Side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Lion reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)romantic (55)fit for foodies (49)special occasion (45)hot spot (36)notable wine list (22)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (10)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Dining room best!table10VIPDined on 10/18/2014Always a great time and happy with the food. Just be sure if you book to request the dining room or you could get stuck in the bar area. Not that the bar area is bad it is just about eating in the dining room with all the art and atmosphere. The bar is very dark so it would be good for a drink night more so than a dinner. Very busy area. Overall it is my favorite place!! Very nice staff.Special Features:
- 19TH Century charmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Eating at the Lion will give you a 19th Century evening of charm and ambience and hearty, simple food. I share a steak for two with a friend with the sides of mushrooms, brussel sprouts a fries. Those were okay but the steak was wonderful. They also do something special with the sweet whipped butter served with home made rolls. Best that I have ever had.Special Features:
- Long wait for foodjfoodhVIPDined on 10/5/2014Our appetizers came quickly but the wait between the appetizers and dinner was about 40 minutes The server apologized many times but the kitchen was slow Even the hostess apologized so I'm not sure this would be usual for this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoritesimcDined on 10/2/2014A great restaurant for drinks and/or food. Great ambiance and celebrity spotting, try the burger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks!NikkiDined on 9/30/2014Great food and atmosphere! I especially love the artichoke appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time not a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014this is the second time eating at the Lion, the first time, dinner, the very expensive pork dinner for $32 which we ordered two of them, was over cooked and tough, the second time we went this past weekend for brunch the we ordered 3 fried chicken and waffles which were cold, the chicken was not deep friend but breaded and tasteless. the coffee was also cold.
- Love it hereNYCfashiongalDined on 9/21/2014A West Village must-do! Love their Jazz Brunch on Sundays. Great food and atmosphere at a fraction of the cost of dinner prices. Must check it out!Special Features:
- ExcellentAcberwangerVIPDined on 9/20/2014The ambiance is surprising, food was excellent and the service wonderful. Nothing to complain about.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Table in RestaurantLionBadTableDined on 9/20/20144ppl at 8:30 on a Saturday, and we were sat at the table directly behind the host stand, next to the stairs for the bathroom and in the middle of the bar. It was as if our table was put there last minute because they ran out of space. When the bar became crowded we had people literally standing over us or with their butts against us, and we could barely hear each other. We asked 3 different staff members to be moved and each of them went to "ask about it". None of the 3 ever returned. During dinner the manager stopped by to check-in, as they do, at which time we informed her how unhappy we were with this table. Didn't get moved, but did get 4 glasses of prosecco on the house which was better than nothing. Food was good but wont go again.Special Features:
- had high hopesseaurchinVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was excited to try The Lion and even enjoyed entering the place as it had a great looking front bar area. Once seated, however, my dinner companion and I were overwhelmed by a shrill noise level that just kept getting worse as the evening went on. Our server seemed impatient that we wanted to actually enjoy our cocktails before plunging into the menu. It took a very long time to get our entrees. My veal osso buco was merely tepid and not very tasty. It was served with "risotto" which was actually the consistency of sushi rice. My friend's sea bass was overcooked. The server delivered the check and the dessert menu at the same time! Excuse me, I didn't think spending a couple of hours at an expensive restaurant was that unusual.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphereWeezieVIPDined on 9/19/2014We felt like we were dining at someone's townhouse. Very charming and the food was excellent. We shared the tuna tartare and the oysters. Delicious. We had the branzino and the halibut. The branzino was perfect and there were no complaints with the halibut. A must try is the broccoli with chili flakes as a side dish! My only complaint was the wine list. It was very expensive, but the California Sauvignon Blanc (in the $60 range, I think may have been the least expensive out of all the wines) was very good and I usually don't like California wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulNSCarrollDined on 9/14/2014It was my friends bday and we came up from Philadelphia. We were the 1st at the restaurant for bunch on Sunday and we were able to get the outdoor 2 top. Perfect!!!! And the 3 ladies playing on instruments was absolutely magnificent. Wonderful experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed bagDBNYCDined on 9/12/2014Service was excellent, seafood plateau appetizer was fantastic (although they had run out of shrimp), bread was mouthwatering, but main course (lamb) was massively overcooked and otherwise uninspired. Definitely a scene and the decor is endlessly interesting. However, it's a bit claustrophobic. I might try it again, but there are other places in the neighborhood that are better in this price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceCookevilleDined on 9/5/2014A friend had recommended the Lion to us and we were so pleased. The service was wonderful and the food was great. Was a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Brilliant3yearanniversaryDined on 9/3/2014I had only heard tale of this restaurant before I stepped foot into the old wood, book bound room that opens your experience to this world of brilliance. The food was brought to the table with perfect timing. Never rushed. We even sat for 20 minutes before asking for a check. A rarity in this city and a truly special dining experience. The cocktails were delightful, one of the best manhattan's I have had to date and the wine was an added bonus to an already wonderful meal. The lion is gem in a city overcrowded with gimmicks and overdone ideas. The lion is unique, vibrant and brimming with a taste of old new york and new.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Food very well madeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014The food was very well made, I had the duck. I was however hoping for more bold flavors that stand outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We had a great time. All was excellent. Our best dinner in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience, service, great foodHarlowVIPDined on 8/26/2014My friend and I each ordered a fish dish (the salmon from the regular menu and a striped bass special). Both were excellent; the striped bass was exceptional. I appreciated how quickly and graciously the restaurant handled it when my friend made a request about his meal after it had been served. Our server and the entire staff we met were great.Special Features:
- Solid option with a cool vibeLauragDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant has charm. The food is very good and menu options were interesting. I would definitely go back for both the food and bar scene. We went for NYC Restaurant Week and it was a great deal. Chicken pot pie was delicious.Special Features:
- The LioneverybitedelishDined on 8/15/2014I took my niece and nephew out for a very special dinner and we loved every bite. it was the last night of restaurant week so very nice way to savor the food & drink pairings.Special Features:
- The LionmnbnycVIPDined on 8/11/2014As a pre theater venue, this place is good for an early dinner and not too crowded but I think it may change later. The dining room is decorated with drawings and photos and a large glass dome all of which are quite impressive. The menu is comprehensive and fairly standard fare. The service is good and the ambience is pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotcoopaloopDined on 8/8/2014I loved the amazing Restaurant Menu everything was great by themselfs however all together it was a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NycfoodieDined on 8/8/2014Waited 30 hour to 45 minutes for main course. All appetizers did not come out at same time. Charged us for still water and never offered tap as an option. Credit catd machine was not working and waited and extra 15-20 minutes to leave. They traced a copy of card. Machine still not working when we left. They never apologized for any of the events mentioned.
- CvogelfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Besides for the missteps with service and the noise level, food (when finally gotten right and all brought) was beautifully presented and delicious. Go for the chicken under the brick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but....TBRatLPHVIPDined on 8/6/2014Hadn't been in a while. Louder than I remember but good service and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rest. week summer 2014MakeItAnExperienceDined on 8/6/2014Limited menu for the deal. Ordered salad/steak/ice cream cookie In a great ares, love the decor, very old world study. Food - Salad was really salty. The steak (medium rare) was inedible, and when they cleared they plates no one asked why we hadn't eaten the food. (possibly due to restaurant week they are just pumping out dishing and not trying to gain new clients). The dessert was fine, nothing to comment on. If i return and pay full price, i hope it will be better quality food, especially for the price.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014We went with the RW menu and enjoyed every course. The bass was delish and hubby loved the almond cake dessert. Very surprised to see so many panning the Lion's food. And of course the ambience is divine. Will return to try their regular menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with artOutwithClientsDined on 8/5/2014I chose The Lion for a meeting with clients. I wanted something that felt like a home, warm, and would inspire a personal experience vs. a professional conversation over dinner. The Lion was a perfect environment to enhance my relationship with my clients in a meaningful way. The decor is cozy, the art is eclectic and interesting, with a few conversation points as well. I highly recommend The Lion for small groups, great food with a European ambiance.Special Features:
- OutstandingLarryDined on 8/5/2014My friend and I had the Restaurant Week Menu with the suggested drink pairings (an additional $25.00). We both had the Strawberry Spinach Salad and the Almond Brown Butter Cake. My friend had the Chicken Pot Pie and I had the Hanger Steak as our main dish. The food was superb and the pairings made the meal outstanding. The service was excellent. I would suggest going early if you like quiet and calm. By the time we left, the noise level was a tad up there and the place was hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably better when not RWOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/4/2014The apps were really good, but the main courses and desserts were pretty lackluster. I'm assuming they just mass-produced of dishes for RW and it showed.Special Features:
- Must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014I came here for restaurant week and we were treated so well! Quality food with good portions, quality service, lovely decor. Really good biscuits. Definitely must place to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJnycWDined on 8/1/2014Went to this place for a last minute NYC Restaurant pick. We got a reservation very swiftly. The food was excellent and the suggested drink pairings were fantastic. The staff was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKdinesDined on 7/30/2014I went here for restaurant week and the overall experience was meh. The restaurant is beautiful, but the food was nothing special. The garlic bread & cream spread as well as the calamari salad was great, but the steak was way too dry and the dessert was bland. The service was also extremely slow. Maybe their regular menu is better than the food they had on their restaurant week menu, but I certainly won't be returning to this restaurant.
- great ongoing classicbilllVIPDined on 7/30/2014from the entry level bar, to the raised ceiling 2 storey atium, it soars. Food, service, all refined, sharp, excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodFoodie1Dined on 7/30/2014I was so underwhelmed by the Lion. I thought many times to call and tell them how awful I felt after paying for a meal here. I have never given such poor reviews for a restaurant. Our server was really nice and my cocktail was tasty. The highlight of my meal here was the bread! It is my fault for not speaking up but I also think a server should know when he sees you eating your friend's food and give him back a full plate that something was wrong. Worst steak I've ever had and just bland. Wasn't a very good cut of meat. By the time we left we smelled like the kitchen because the restaurant isn't ventilated properly and they were very busy. Perhaps if I was dragged back, I would order the pot pie which was pretty ok.
- Excellent RestaurantLisaDined on 7/29/2014I loved this restaurant. Great atmosphere and waiters. My only issue is that I am gluten free and they didn't have a lot of options for me. They tried hard to help but most of their items have wheat flour. Would like to see them become more creative with gluten free entrees and gluten free rolls for my hamburger.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/29/2014Very good food, service and a beautiful dining roomSpecial Features:
- very nice overallchokpockyVIPDined on 7/27/2014the service and food were commendable. went for restaurant week summer 2014 and the sample menu highlighted their quality very well. the desserts in particular were very good. just one thing to note (and not necessarily a deal-breaker) – i thought the top 40 music mix was incongruous to the ambience of the restaurant, sort of distracting to the overall vibe.Special Features:
- summertime blues?table10VIPDined on 7/26/2014I have been going to The Lion for years and I have to say this past dinner was very disappointing. Maybe it was just me but my salad was droopy with too much dressing and my Tuna was very chewy. Was supposed to be with artichokes and speaking of chewy........the one that I finally realized was an artichoke I couldn't even eat.Just not an enjoyable dinner. I hope they were just haviing an off night for everyone else's sake that will be going there........I am giving it a rest.Special Features:
- It was finenycdineoutDined on 7/25/2014It was Fine. To say the least. The restaurant week menu was weak, so was the service. The portions were so so, we had a nice time but we didn't even sit in the dining room. Experience was just OK. I have been there another time just during the week and the food was nothing to rave about. sorry, cool place, fun to people watch and have a few. thats about it. Wouldn't go back anytime soon.Special Features: