62 West 9th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelionnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 353-8400
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10pm
Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:30am
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Delucie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th and 6th Avenue
- Public Transit:
The A C E or B D F M to West 4th Street station and head 2 blocks north.
The 1 2 3 to 14th Street Station and head 5 blocks south.
The 1 to Christopher Street Sheridan, 2 blocks east to 6th avenue and walk up to 9th street.
- Parking: No
A word from The Lion
John DeLucie is the Chef Proprietor of The Lion, Bill's Food & Drink, and Crown restaurants in New York City. The Lion opened in May 2010 on beautiful tree-lined West 9th street – it features a menu consistent with the Chef himself, classic American with undeniable Italian influences. Bill's Food & Drink opened in November 2012 in Midtown, and features hearty American cuisine. Crown opened September of 2011, in a 1930's mansion steps away from The Metropolitan Museum of Art on the Upper East Side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Lion reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)romantic (54)fit for foodies (42)special occasion (41)hot spot (33)notable wine list (21)good for groups (19)great for brunch (16)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (12)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We had a great time. All was excellent. Our best dinner in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience, service, great foodHarlowVIPDined on 8/26/2014My friend and I each ordered a fish dish (the salmon from the regular menu and a striped bass special). Both were excellent; the striped bass was exceptional. I appreciated how quickly and graciously the restaurant handled it when my friend made a request about his meal after it had been served. Our server and the entire staff we met were great.Special Features:
- Solid option with a cool vibeLauragDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant has charm. The food is very good and menu options were interesting. I would definitely go back for both the food and bar scene. We went for NYC Restaurant Week and it was a great deal. Chicken pot pie was delicious.Special Features:
- The LioneverybitedelishDined on 8/15/2014I took my niece and nephew out for a very special dinner and we loved every bite. it was the last night of restaurant week so very nice way to savor the food & drink pairings.Special Features:
- The LionmnbnycVIPDined on 8/11/2014As a pre theater venue, this place is good for an early dinner and not too crowded but I think it may change later. The dining room is decorated with drawings and photos and a large glass dome all of which are quite impressive. The menu is comprehensive and fairly standard fare. The service is good and the ambience is pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotcoopaloopDined on 8/8/2014I loved the amazing Restaurant Menu everything was great by themselfs however all together it was a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NycfoodieDined on 8/8/2014Waited 30 hour to 45 minutes for main course. All appetizers did not come out at same time. Charged us for still water and never offered tap as an option. Credit catd machine was not working and waited and extra 15-20 minutes to leave. They traced a copy of card. Machine still not working when we left. They never apologized for any of the events mentioned.
- CvogelfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Besides for the missteps with service and the noise level, food (when finally gotten right and all brought) was beautifully presented and delicious. Go for the chicken under the brick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but....TBRatLPHVIPDined on 8/6/2014Hadn't been in a while. Louder than I remember but good service and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rest. week summer 2014MakeItAnExperienceDined on 8/6/2014Limited menu for the deal. Ordered salad/steak/ice cream cookie In a great ares, love the decor, very old world study. Food - Salad was really salty. The steak (medium rare) was inedible, and when they cleared they plates no one asked why we hadn't eaten the food. (possibly due to restaurant week they are just pumping out dishing and not trying to gain new clients). The dessert was fine, nothing to comment on. If i return and pay full price, i hope it will be better quality food, especially for the price.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014We went with the RW menu and enjoyed every course. The bass was delish and hubby loved the almond cake dessert. Very surprised to see so many panning the Lion's food. And of course the ambience is divine. Will return to try their regular menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with artOutwithClientsDined on 8/5/2014I chose The Lion for a meeting with clients. I wanted something that felt like a home, warm, and would inspire a personal experience vs. a professional conversation over dinner. The Lion was a perfect environment to enhance my relationship with my clients in a meaningful way. The decor is cozy, the art is eclectic and interesting, with a few conversation points as well. I highly recommend The Lion for small groups, great food with a European ambiance.Special Features:
- OutstandingLarryDined on 8/5/2014My friend and I had the Restaurant Week Menu with the suggested drink pairings (an additional $25.00). We both had the Strawberry Spinach Salad and the Almond Brown Butter Cake. My friend had the Chicken Pot Pie and I had the Hanger Steak as our main dish. The food was superb and the pairings made the meal outstanding. The service was excellent. I would suggest going early if you like quiet and calm. By the time we left, the noise level was a tad up there and the place was hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably better when not RWOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/4/2014The apps were really good, but the main courses and desserts were pretty lackluster. I'm assuming they just mass-produced of dishes for RW and it showed.Special Features:
- Must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014I came here for restaurant week and we were treated so well! Quality food with good portions, quality service, lovely decor. Really good biscuits. Definitely must place to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJnycWDined on 8/1/2014Went to this place for a last minute NYC Restaurant pick. We got a reservation very swiftly. The food was excellent and the suggested drink pairings were fantastic. The staff was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKdinesDined on 7/30/2014I went here for restaurant week and the overall experience was meh. The restaurant is beautiful, but the food was nothing special. The garlic bread & cream spread as well as the calamari salad was great, but the steak was way too dry and the dessert was bland. The service was also extremely slow. Maybe their regular menu is better than the food they had on their restaurant week menu, but I certainly won't be returning to this restaurant.
- great ongoing classicbilllVIPDined on 7/30/2014from the entry level bar, to the raised ceiling 2 storey atium, it soars. Food, service, all refined, sharp, excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantLisaDined on 7/29/2014I loved this restaurant. Great atmosphere and waiters. My only issue is that I am gluten free and they didn't have a lot of options for me. They tried hard to help but most of their items have wheat flour. Would like to see them become more creative with gluten free entrees and gluten free rolls for my hamburger.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/29/2014Very good food, service and a beautiful dining roomSpecial Features:
- very nice overallchokpockyVIPDined on 7/27/2014the service and food were commendable. went for restaurant week summer 2014 and the sample menu highlighted their quality very well. the desserts in particular were very good. just one thing to note (and not necessarily a deal-breaker) – i thought the top 40 music mix was incongruous to the ambience of the restaurant, sort of distracting to the overall vibe.Special Features:
- summertime blues?table10Dined on 7/26/2014I have been going to The Lion for years and I have to say this past dinner was very disappointing. Maybe it was just me but my salad was droopy with too much dressing and my Tuna was very chewy. Was supposed to be with artichokes and speaking of chewy........the one that I finally realized was an artichoke I couldn't even eat.Just not an enjoyable dinner. I hope they were just haviing an off night for everyone else's sake that will be going there........I am giving it a rest.Special Features:
- It was finenycdineoutDined on 7/25/2014It was Fine. To say the least. The restaurant week menu was weak, so was the service. The portions were so so, we had a nice time but we didn't even sit in the dining room. Experience was just OK. I have been there another time just during the week and the food was nothing to rave about. sorry, cool place, fun to people watch and have a few. thats about it. Wouldn't go back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Amazing design, vibe terrible foodBKNYDined on 7/25/2014As sceney and beautiful as the food is disgusting. I am not a foodie, not even remotely picky about food but I like to throw together a dinner party every now and then. Despite having a perfect vibe for dinner parties (huge booths, perfect lighting, intellectual chic decor) it was too loud to speak across the table and the music in no way deserved such prominence. But the real problem was the food. Perhaps it was because we ordered off the restaurant week menu but we tried one of everything - the steak was tough and the polenta fries were a weird texture with the salad the entire thing is sooo over salted. The striper tasted like dirt and was tiny I mean 4 bites. The chicken pot pie was average. The one at tea and sympathy is better.Special Features:
- DisappointingfoodstuffedDined on 7/25/2014I've eaten at The Lion several times. I've always enjoyed the experience; the ambience is sophisticated and ornate with a few intimate nooks. Last night, however, I was greatly disappointed. I was surprised to find the bass fairly flavorless, the calamari poorly breaded, and the dessert, an almond brownie, lackluster. I was also surprised and disappointed when instead of the requested tap water, the waiter served us bottle after bottle of decanted still water (which I mistook for tap), charging us for four bottles without ever once asking if we wanted a fresh one. The highlight of the meal was a lovely Moscato d'Asti, recommended by the charming and skillful Argentinian bartender. If nothing else, the bar is still worth a visit.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014Had the front outside table which was great. The salad was good the rest of the dinner ok
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014The Lion is remarkable chiefly for its surroundings and decor - perfect Village ambience. The food is quite good as well and the service attentive and friendly. However, the noise level (at least for dinner) is almost intolerable and comes close to spoiling the entire experience.Special Features:
- FantasticSBBBDined on 7/16/2014Just a great place to go, not too big, not too small. Big American food and wine. Interesting mix of people dressed nicely. Intelligent staff, impeccably prepared food and presented to perfection. The pork chop is so good when we left I gave a shout out to the Chef in the kitchen. Now one of my go-to 5 in Soho/Village.Special Features:
- Always greatWesTvillagerDined on 7/3/2014Been to the Lion a few times now. It's always been great, not hard to get a reservation, the menu is always amazing and the drinks are too notch. This experience in particular was just a nice night out with my girlfriend in my neighborhood but the dinner this time was exceptional. I had the surf and turf for the first time and I was blown away. Lobster potatoe salad was amazing and my filet was cooked perfect. That touch of truffle butter was a nice touch. Looking forward to another nice night hopefully soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvnycfoodieDined on 7/1/2014I had picked this restaurant specifically for a special (20th anniversary) occasion with my husband after having dined here with a friend last year. The food was phenomenal, atmosphere great. What was very disappointing, after putting a special note in the reservation there was no acknowledgement of the special occasion whatsoever by either the hostess or our server. I would never make a big deal of that in front of my husband but I was terribly disappointed it was completely overlooked after I picked the restaurant purposefully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!MattCarmoucheDined on 6/28/2014The Loin is a good go to for great food with a nice twist. Service and presentation are awesome.Special Features:
- dtylr2Dined on 6/22/2014Food and service were both outstanding. The Manager was very gracious and insured all was to our satisfaction. Atmosphere is warm and welcoming. We will both recommend and returnSpecial Features:
- Greenwich Village FavoriteVermontBudDined on 6/20/2014This elegant dining room is decorated with old oil paintings of historic characters and the food, service and ambiance are great.Special Features:
- BleyedgalVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food, service and ambience were excellent. A very memorable evening. We were a party of 4 who dine out frequently and we all had the same complaint that the wine list pricing is over the top. The majority of bottles were at least $100 and the price per glass close to $20. We have dined in many other more expensive restaurants that have a much more reasonably priced wine list.Special Features:
- The Lion or Old Kitty?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/11/2014The food was just OK, the service very confusing with 4 different waiters covering the table but the worst part of the experience was the horrible lighting. I LOVE dimly lit restaurants that provide an intimate environment for dining, however, the source of light was so far away from tables and so inadequate, I felt like I was eating in the dark.
- Not at their bestFullIrishVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is the 3rd / 4th time for dining here and it was disappointing compared to prior visits. The mustard on the Branzino was overpowring and the flavor of the fish was lost. The Hudson Valley Duck breast while nicely cooked was somewhere between warm and cold. if served as sliced in a salad this would have been OK but as a main course with rice and vegatables, it should have been warm to hot to have worked.
- SCREAM!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Yelling is compulsory . This place is unbearably noisy, tough the food was good ,we couldnt wait to get out of the basement dining room and toyed with the idea of bringing our plates to the rest room stairs, much quieter.Special Features:
- Meeting with an old friendDianediningDined on 6/1/2014My girlfriend and I had a luncheon with an old colleague of ours. He was late and the waiter was patient. The food was very good and the and the restaurant was very nice. The only problem was they had a DJ and we asked that the music be turned down twice, they did comply with. There were not many patrons there and it was very had to talk over the music. Otherwise the experience was very good. I would recommend this establishment. I would also return to the The Lion. It seemed like a fun place.Special Features:
- ServicePhilipDined on 5/27/2014The general service was good. the waiter who brought us to the table was unacceptable though!! we had a larger group of people (business guests) and some arrived earlier and had a drink at the bar. Guests who arrived on time ordered a drink as well, though he started to urge us to our table at 08:05 (reservation was for 08:00) in a very rude/unprofessional way "you have to go now" "please make your way to the table now" etc. (the was no reservation afterwards needing our table!!) Food and atmosphere are stunning at the Lion and the food is exceptional good! will go there again. If I get the same service, tip will not only be cut in half but none at allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedrandomdiner1234VIPDined on 5/24/2014After hearing so many good things about this restaurant, my friend & I were excited to try it out; however, we were greatly disappointed. The food was not great compared to the price nor other restaurants in NYC for the same price point or less. The drinks were lacking any real flavor (we ordered 2 diff ones). We didn't even finish our main courses (hanger steak & the $19 burger)! The dessert was not tasty (flourless chocolate cake was like a brownie w/ice cream). The service was ok but not memorable. Later that evening, we both had an upset stomach (maybe it was the lobster mac n cheese appetizer). This experience might have been a one off but we will not be back.