The Light Horse
715 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Light Horse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelighthorserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7035490533
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Monday-Thursday 5:00-9:30, Friday-Sunday 12:00-9:30
Bar: Monday-Friday 4:00 PM-1:30 AM, Sat&Sun 12:00 PM-1:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Stein, Lor Kats
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs bar is amenable for your office or other party; buffet and bar facilities can accommodate up to 100 persons; downstairs restaurant can accommodate a similar party by special arrangements.
- Private Party Contact: Dave Pressley 7035490533
- Entertainment: This is the place to be in Old Town for live music! The Light Horse features nightly acts Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in the upstairs bar ranging from DJs to Rock to Folk. Come check out your favorite local bands as well as some new bands we know you'll love!
A word from The Light Horse
Named after "Light Horse" Harry Lee, The Light Horse is ideally situated in the heart of Old Town Alexandria and provides a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. We offer locally-sourced, seasonal, contemporary American cuisine. Additionally, we feature affordable yet diverse wine and beer lists with samplings from all over the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Light Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (7)special occasion (6)great for brunch (4)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Cozy, thoughtfully-prepared foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere reminds me a bit of a colonial tavern. It is simple, but warm. The big u-shaped booths are cozy. It is great to meet up here with friends because there are inexpensive burgers and sandwiches, but also pastas and other entrees, so everyone can find something they feel like eating and within their price range. Everything I've had has been very well prepared with good-quality ingredients, and the menu items seem thoughtful, rather than merely trendy. You've got to try the bacon-wrapped date appetizer! The wine list had interesting offerings I hand't seen before. The service is great -- friendly, polite, efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitFunFamilyDinerDined on 10/12/2014I was amazed that my lovely wife and daughter came across the Light Horse Tavern, which I am sure I have walked by at least 100 times. We tried it out for Sunday brunch and what a great find! We split orders- they are all more than enough for just one- and all were great. The biscuits and gravy were very nicely done with a great gravy that is different, yet absolutely first class. The stuffed french toast rivals anything I've had elsewhere, and the squash soup was great. The staff was appropriately attentive and the manager on duty genially explained some of the ingredients in the recipes. Can't believe that I've been walking by this place for years- that won't happen again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/6/2014Pork chop was so salty and way undercooked. Scallops way over seasoned. Flounder was inedible. Most plates went back half full. Only the bacon wrapped dates were above average. Skip it.
- S&SMikeVIPDined on 9/26/2014Many reviews I read made me hesitant, or Scared but then I was pleasantly surprised! One of the best pork chops I've had in the area! And the "double" cheese burger was top quality! Service was great too, I wanted one beer, waiter asked if I ever had it before, said no, he brought me over 3 samples! I would definitely go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A let downLocalNowVIPDined on 9/21/2014I live in Alexandria and wanted to try a different restaurant so I took my parents here and the food was just weird. My father ordered biscuits and gravy- the eggs were basically raw and there was very little gravy. We also ordered deviled eggs which was a weird recipe- sometimes it's best to just go with the classic recipe. The waitress was friendly, but I don't remember her asking how is the food or anything like that. It could be a very cute place, but there's a lot of work to do at this one in order to make that happen.
- psquaredDined on 9/20/2014Was one of my favorite restaurants until most recent experience. Several dishes were seriously over-salted, including my scallops, which pretty much ruined them. No scallop taste, only salt flavor came through. Two of my dining companions said other dishes had too much salt. Bacon wrapped dates were a big hit, as always, and dining companions loved the calamari (not something I like no matter who prepares them). Corn and heirloom salad was perfectly dressed, but the tomatoes were crunchy and lacking flavor. The creamed corn with the scallops was not listed as such on menu; nonetheless, it was wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014We received our appetizers very quickly, but there was a back up in the kitchen and our entree's took over 40 minutes after finishing our appetizers.
- psquaredDined on 9/7/2014Interesting food as always; bacon-wrapped stuffed dates still remarkable. Excellent service.Special Features:
- A solid OKhacheprDined on 9/2/2014Disclaimer: We were there on a Tuesday night and it was a slow night. But..... The menu seemed really appealing but the dishes themselves were a little lackluster. The food is not bad at all, it is just not spectacular and not worth the prices. It also took some time for us to get served at our table, but we were sitting upstairs where it is more of a bar scene. Probably won't go back for fine dining.
- Great meal!TwoCapsDined on 8/23/2014One of the best draft beer selections I've seen in awhile, and the food was outstanding. Menu is varied and there is something for everyone. Service was great, our waiter was attentive yet not intrusive. Apps, main course and dessert were all very tasty with healthy portions. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty goodAlexDDined on 8/23/2014the wait staff was fine, the summer vegetable bruschetta was so-so, the sea scallops were very good (although the green beans were underooked.) Menu definitely reflected the produce of the summer, which I think is great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Attentive ServiceStephenVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were very happy with the quality of the food and the service, but ironically, an error showed how good the service was. The waiter brought me the wrong main dish. When I pointed this out, he apologized, and immediately took it back to replace it, something that took a bit of time since they had to make the dish from scratch. (No microwaved-frozen-prepared food in this place!) Both the waiter and other staff apologized numerous times and they gave me one of my beers at no charge to further make up for the error. Any waiter can make an error, they are only human. But the way the restaurant dealt with the error showed real class and I will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner during Restaurant weekProfdgmDined on 8/16/2014My husband, best friend and I ate dinner last weekend here during Alexander's summer restaurant week. What was great here was that you weren't limited to a few choices for the week. Almost everything on the menu was fair game for the 3-course special. One of us had steak, one had the Rockfish, and I had the summer pasta dish that is on the menu. I opted not to make mine a 3-course deal because I wasn't that hungry. My favorite beer (Optimal Wit) is on tap here, as well. All of our dinners were excellent, as was our service. We had a nice booth downstairs, and were not rushed. We all highly recommend the Light Horse for a great meal. Just moved here from another state, so we will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy.DininginOldTownDined on 8/9/2014I can't get tired of the Light Horse. I continue to introduce friends to the restaurant and everyone has been pleased and have jumped on my Light Horse bandwagon. The menu is fresh and creative. The beer and wine list is very extensive.Special Features:
- New StopKardayDined on 8/2/2014We had never been to this establishment before and found it on the Internet and they had a table when we wanted to eat. Nice layout and the ambiance was very nice.
- Great find.GinaDined on 8/1/2014We weren't sure about trying the restaurant given the mixed reviews, but it turned out to be a very good find--we had a very nice evening. The beer selection was great and the food was very well presented and tasted wonderful! A good place to try--not very busy on a Friday evening.Special Features:
- Unique combinationsCherylDined on 7/5/2014This was our first try at the Light Horse and at first we were a little put-off because it was nearly empty at 7:15 on a Saturday! Regardless, when we received the menu, we were happy to find many unique appetizers (try the Summer Vegetable Bruschetta) and entrees. There were four of us, each ordering a different meal and we were all happy with our food. The Dry-Rubbed Cast Iron Pork Chop with Summer vegetable hash was a beautiful dish (my husband said it was delicious) and the Game Hen had wonderfully spiced brussell sprouts and black eyed peas. We'll go back for sure.Special Features:
- The following 399 reviews are from the The Light Horse reviews archive.
- Good food good servicepeteytcDined on 6/30/2014I thought the food was pretty good but the service was incredible. My dish was okay but my date's dish was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnDininginOldTownDined on 6/19/2014The Light Horse is great all the way around. The menu is creative and delicious. The server was very kind and tended to us at the right intervals.Special Features:
- Just averageOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/8/2014That it was easy to get a table here should have been our first sign. Our waitress was very nice, but we had numerous mistakes from the kitchen she had to deal with. The kale salad was literally a heap of bagged kale in a plate with some shaved carrots on top. Sent it back. The rigatoni was house made and Aldente but mom said it was like crunching rocks, plus it was lukewarm. The veggie cavatappi was the highlight of the meal, quite tasty with lots of chopped spring veggies. Despite our problems, would give it another shot, it has potential.....I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014Innovative menu, but the plates needed better composition. Great flavors, each plate just needed better balance to allow the main ingredient to shine. Rockfish was not de - boned well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Go To A++DSmithDined on 5/11/2014We've taken my mother here for three out of her last four birthdays and now for Mother's Day. She really enjoys the food, and the service is attentive and personalized. A compact menu of excellent choices--not a wrong note among the bunch. And the bar upstairs is an excellent casual hangout most any night and with music on weekends.Special Features:
- A PleasureDAvidDined on 5/3/2014Excellent food, service folks with a real personality, and nice surroundings. Who could ask for more. There was an upstairs bar and music area that seemed to have lots of activity (but no noise spill-over to the restaurant) but we were so full from dinner that we didn't venture up the stairs. Maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old standby never disappoints!BetzabroadVIPDined on 4/25/2014This is our go to place in Old Town Alexandria. The food never fails, the waitstaff is great and we can always get in at the last moment?! I don't know why it isn't always packed..it should be!Special Features:
- MarkInArlingtonVIPDined on 4/25/2014Excellent fare and service. I was concerned about the rather limited menu but they really focus on execution and do it well. Fresh and unique offerings -- fried chicken livers and shaved brussel sprout caesar salad were fantastic. Fiddle-head ferns in the vegetarian cassoulet? white anchovies on the salad? roasted hen-of-the-woods mushrooms? THAT is what sets The Light Horse apart!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Alexandria gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014Discovered this restaurant while passing by on the street during a first date 3.5 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the charming, relaxed ambience. Fast forward and my now-husband (hey, it was a good first date) and I have been back here several times, as a pair and with groups, and every time the experience has been reliably impressive. Love the cocktails featuring my favorite local distillery, Catoctin Creek.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Decent RestaurantellejschroeVIPDined on 3/1/2014There was nothing particularly bad about dining at The Light Horse; however, there was also nothing particularly great about it either. It is a decent restaurant in a great location. Of all the options in Old Town, I would certainly check out others before returning to this restaurant.
- Light Horse Restaurant in Old TownMichaelVIPDined on 2/23/2014I went to Light Horse when walking in Old Town. It was nicely arranged. I was greeted cordially. I was seated immediately. The wait staff was immediate and attentive. The beer selection was good, but lacked a porter beer on tap. I tried the Pilsner which was good. I ordered the calamari which had spicy peppers and a small bit of sausage in it. It was cooked properly and had a marinara for dipping. The sauce was in a small container, not near big enough. I then ordered the King burger. It was excellent, the bacon was smoked and done properly with an adequate amount to properly make it a bacon burger. It was a bit pricey with $11 for the calamari and smallish portion. But it was good and worth the cost and time.Special Features:
- Nice find. Not your ordinary menu.LouGVIPDined on 2/14/2014More interesting than the usual fare. Try the bacon warped dates. Wings were good. The tomato fennel bisque wasn't as special as it sounded. The lamb pasta was great. My better half had the steak. Dessert was a trio of sorbets. All very good. Went on Valentines Day, usually the worst night to try a new restaurant. Everything was in order. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but goodgolferDined on 2/14/2014Very limited dinner menu, but the food was good. The downstairs restaurant was quite and the service quite good, and all staff pitched in to clear dishes and offer help. The menu for sandwiches and light fare (bar food) was much more extensive and is undoubtedly geared toward the more popular bar upstairs. All-in-all it was an enjoyable night out and a good meal at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great ServiceRWFavoriteVIPDined on 1/11/2014Our Server was kind & attentive without being overbearing. Note that we were downstairs in the dining room, and there is only 1 tv in the corner. One of the guys in our group wanted to watch a game during dinner, and the Server happily assisted us & moved the group/ changed the table set-up to accommodate our group. I know it's not THAT big of a deal, but the way she did it without batting an eye made us feel welcome & comfortable. We shared the Chorizo & Cheese dip, which is delicious. I also had the Big Cheese (grilled cheese sandwich w/ garlic & chives) and I added bacon to it. Good, but not spectacular. I got it with the sweet potato fries, which were unfortunately soggy. Nonetheless, had a great time, mainly due to the service.
- Nice PlacekmdbikeDined on 12/31/2013Our first trip to Light Horse was New Year's Eve. Our server was great and the special for the evening, which I had, was surf and turf. That was outstanding. My husband had the steak sandwich which he described as "acceptable". So go with the specials. We had reservations and were seated right away. Overall I was pleased and will go back.Special Features:
- tasty American bar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/22/2013Hush puppies and fish tacos were quite good. Also enjoyed the kale side dish (lots of garlic!). Attentive service and comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old standby never failsBetzabroadVIPDined on 12/21/2013We dine here often. Enjoy just about everything on the menu. Wish the chef would ratchet up the adventure with a few new items. Never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Favorite Still Delivers!DSmithDined on 12/20/2013Good food, good cheer. I noted in my reservation that my father and I were bringing my mother for her 88th birthday. Our server was wonderful--described the menu items thoroughly, was very attentive and timely, and had a very enthusiastic demeanor. Several of the staff came also by to wish my mother well. Our full family gatherings were later in the weekend, but her actual birthday was the night we visited The Light Horse. My sister and I first took Mom to The Light Horse for her birthday 2-3 years ago and it's become an occasional tradition--not every year but she remembers that we've been before. Great food, attentive staff, but a low-key, quiet environment so we could talk amongst ourselves.Special Features:
- Great Burgers and MoreThadVIPDined on 11/29/2013For some reason this place has never been on our radar screen, yet we had a great dining experience. The menu is not huge but there is a nice selection of app's, salads, burgers and other sandwiches, and a few main course entrees. The two burgers at our table were piled high with "stuff" and were perfectly cooked to the ordered temp. The Flat iron steak was tender and flavorful, also cooked perfectly. And the bourbon pork chop was also done well. They have a good wine list and the overall prices are reasonable. The service was a tad slow but they were busy. Don't pass this one by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a surprise on the menudawnDined on 11/27/2013I visit occasionally and while I may order the same entrée from the menu, the accompanying sides usually change, so I am never quite certain about what I will get, but it is always beautifully presented and combinations that work well together. I never leave hungry, either! Tonight I had the mac & cheese appetizer, which was very nice, followed by the Scallop Entrée. I had to mix everything together to get the full flavor of the dish, which disappointed me because everything was so beautifully placed on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice fine in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2013Excellent food, nice atmosphere, good service. Bar upstairs, restaurant dowstairs. Happy hour until 7pm, applies for both restaurant and bar. Ate there on a Tuesday night, around 7pm, only one other couple eating dinner. Free street parking after 6pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and staff - excellent!DeucalionDined on 11/6/2013Staff was friendly and accommodated our special requests. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining with No FrillsOut2EatDined on 10/26/2013Food was very good, ambience left much to be desired. Needs to be spruced up a bit to give the place more character.Special Features: