The Library Restaurant
401 State Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Library Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.libraryrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6034315202
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from The Library Restaurant
Join us for traditional New England fare, while surrounded by architectural treasures of an era gone by. The Library is prestigious while reasonably priced, with something for everyone through all seasons. It is the perfect setting for a business luncheon or dinner. You can also enjoy lighter fare or a friendly cocktail in our lounge. Our dining and board rooms are always available for private functions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Library Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
The Library Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)romantic (52)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (17)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Library theme, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Absolutely loved the library themed dining area. The service was excellent, and filet was cooked just right. Perfectly located for a stroll after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValentineMeatDined on 10/11/2014My gf and I sat at a table for two and thuroughly enjoyed ourselves. there was a lot of hustle and bustle going on throughout the dining room, which was a bit distracting, but it did not deter our enjoyment much. We both enjoyed our meals, my girlfriend particularly enjoyed the chicken soup special, and could tell it was home-made and authentic. our steaks and sides were fantastic. bottle of wine, apps, and very decadent dessert made the experience one we will remember.Special Features:
- howardDined on 10/11/2014Best onion soup around. Excellent service. Rib eye was tasty and cooked just right. Wines were a bit pricey. This place has very nice woodwork and the ceiling woodwork is intricate. Great place to go to once in a while. Expect to spend over $100.00 for two people for dinner. Not a big fan of the garlic bread in oil would rather have had good quality rolls with dinner.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerjayaudetDined on 10/8/2014Except for the service, our dinner at the Library Restaurant was excellent. Food was awesome. Service was a bit slow. My soup order was clearly forgotten and we were disappointed that most of our meal had to be eaten without a replenished drink. First time in many visits that we were unhappy with the service; we can only wish that it will be the last time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014I was disappointed after I arrived at 1:00pm to be told the restaurant was only serving brunch on sunday. I did not see it anywhere on the website that on Sundays they did not serve lunch. It actually states 7 days a week serving all menus etc. I requested a steak salad and was told the chef was too busy to make it. However on the brunch menu it did offer steak and salad on separate sections. My table was confused with the denial of the request. We ordered and waited one hour for our meal to be served. It was not worth the wait.
- Birthday dinnerBco75Dined on 10/4/2014Best steak ever first time eating a Japaness steak the Kobe was out of this world perfect for a 50th B-day thanks to the woman of my life it was heavenly...!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrunchCrunchDined on 10/4/2014Great food, a bit pricy, wonderful service. We have been to The Library about 10 times when we travel to Portsmouth, and the food is always worth the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!SongbirdDined on 10/3/2014What a treat! The food was excellent! If you're in the Portsmouth area and looking for ambiance and great food this place is a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Nice Restaurant with funny facility, the name says it all............... Have never seen so large Shrimpe had in my Shrimp Cocktail, sensationall. Nice Service, thank you very much. Was in the beginning something very loud, noise there's a grpoup there was celebrated the birthday, we have therefore also maintain a bit louder (you had to wait, hehehe.) Be our next visit in New Castle sure to check back here.Special Features:
- Great concept- food & service lackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The atmosphere was pretty good. Way too bright for me, especially at dinner. We were seated by the server station and could hear everything going on in the kitchen and everything that the servers were talking about, even the guests at their tables. Completely inappropriate. We had the Crab Cake app to start. It had a very unusual taste to it, however it was loaded with crab. The sauces that were served with it were terrible. Just a bad pairing. I had the Haddock with lobster stuffing. The fish was bland and the stuffing was even worse. My date had a filet, 8oz. This was alone $28. All sides were a la carte. At an additional $8 and $9 each... The service was slow and intermittent. It took over 20 minutes to get my glass of wine.Special Features:
- Just wonderful!Worth the money!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I made a reservation on line after seeing the restaurant on the Portsmouth, NH sites. All the reviews looked good and we wanted to have a really good steak. It was all we expected, service was good, food was excellent and it was worth the wait. Found that there was a large party using the room to the side of us and they were very loud. Skipped dessert but will go back when in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant diningWillDined on 9/29/2014The Library is located in an historic building. It is elegantly furnished, with a library motif. Service is good, but not fawning, and the meals we had (New Zealand lamb chops and lobster pie) were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LibraryNightoutDined on 9/29/2014The atmosphere was outstanding only to be outshown by the food. For us it was a special occasion however we are already planning to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one choiceAnnieDined on 9/28/2014Because I was entering the hospital on Monday, my husband offered to take me to any restaurant of my choice in the Portsmouth area. Although I've eaten in many in and around Portsmouth, this was a no-brainer for me. I love The Library for it's ambiance, food and well preserved atmosphere. The place is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate, and I love a quiet restaurant. Where anybody got the idea that lots of loud noise was wonderful during a meal, needs his/her head examined. The Library is aptly named for it's quiet dignity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Family Favorite!!MaysieDined on 9/27/2014The Library does it right! Easy, comfortable environment. Pleasant, helpful staff. Excellent food! This time I had the 8 oz Filet & my husband had the rack of lamb. He was still talking about it the next day with our Family!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014we loved your restaurant it was very nice with a great dining experience. the food was excellent and the service was great. a little pricey, but had a very nice experience non the less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice dinnerfrye159Dined on 9/18/2014Lovely atmosphere, great food, would definitely recommend! Rack of lamb was delicious as were the salads, sides and dessert. Very ccomodating staff...Special Features:
- BacktrackerslostintimeDined on 9/13/2014We reserved a Saturday night time online and found that to be a very convenient process. Portsmouth is busy on Saturday nights, but we located parking on a side street, only a short walk from the Rockingham. We arrived 15 minutes early and were seated immediately. We occasionally ate and danced in the old Rockingham Hotel dining room 45 years ago, so returning to this spot was special. The layout has changed, but we felt like a homecoming. Our dinners were good with wonderful, promt, and friendly service. The a la carte choices can get expensive, but the servings are generous and tasty. The dinner entrees provide a more affordable offering. The overall experience was quite satisfying, and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesoe place for lunch or dinner!kikiDined on 9/13/2014First time eating there, but definitely not the last. The food was very well prepared and was very tasty. The wait staff were professional and yet friendly. Serene atmosphere was appreciated by everyone in our party. Best in town for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the food and drink. We did have a waitress who was training another so the service was a little slow at times, but overall we enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Libraries are not just for readinngtunafinaticDined on 9/6/2014Other than a slightly mommicked (NC SLANG FOR CONFUSED) receptionist the experience was fine. We had never eaten here before altho nesrby. Extravagant wine list: 9 out of 10 Soup: Sausage and Tuscan Bean. 8 out of 10 Salads: 9 out of 10 Filet hers: excellent, medium rare ordered medium rare received 9 out of 10 Ahi: on the button 10 out of 10 Overall: 8.99999 out of 10....OK 9 out of 10Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerJJ090614Dined on 9/6/2014We came here for our anniversary and were very happy with our experience. The service was great and the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatFrankieandPaulieDined on 9/5/2014Given the venue and the location this should have been better than it was. I was expecting more, much more in terms of food quality....and it was not bad, its just that for the price and the room and the location it should have been much better.
- Nice dinnerSOT1Dined on 9/3/2014The staff was supurb meal was good. Choose the Ribeye over the Porterhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The Wine list was amazing, our server was fantastic, the food was no better than average. Steak was VERY over cooked, bake stuffed haddock and Lobster were very dry, grilled Salmon was dry and flavorless. I would go again merely for the neat atmosphere and the wine list- but not for a meal.Special Features:
- Dependably great experienceWesleyDined on 8/23/2014The Library is our "go to" place for a reliably terrific dinner. The room is beautiful in an Old World way, filled with dark woodwork and books. The potstickers, tenderloins, au gratin potatoes, and sautéed mushrooms were perfect. We split a piece of bourbon pecan pie which was quite good -- not overly sweet so you could really taste the nuts. Lovely service from Hannah. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Another stellar dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014We always comment on the consistency at the Library but they even out did their usual. The steaks were cooked to perfection and our waiter didn't mind asking for Med / med rare which gave us perfectly pink and juicy steaks. All was 5 star.Special Features:
- Parking IssueRickettsVIPDined on 8/22/2014Overall a pleasant experince...except for parking. Findind a parking space on a Friday night was so difficult we almost just gave up and drove off.
- Always amazing....portsmouth28Dined on 8/22/2014We have always had wonderful meals at The Library. The steaks, the sides, and all the sauces are delicious. The Sunday breakfast/brunch is well worth the two hour drive (and the Bloody Mary's are great too)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovedinerIIlovedinerIIDined on 8/22/2014Nice ambience, food okay, service very good ... pricey food fair and pedestrian dessert listing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingjkling5Dined on 8/21/2014We hit the Library at least once a year and have never been disappointed. The steaks are awesome and so is their other selections. The only problem is we are always too full for desert. If you like steak and seafood then the library is where to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!Luv2dineDined on 8/20/2014Excellent food with solid service...unique interior...was a bit noisy especially considering the style of restaurant but nothing overpowering. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another notable mealEatsoutalotDined on 8/16/2014This is now our third time eating at The Library in the last month (1 dinner and 2 lunches), as we passed through Portsmouth to take our daughter to camp. This last time the waitress remembered us from our first visit and why we were passing through and asked how our daughter liked camp. The food is very good and there is something for everyone. One of our new favorites... Our daughter loves that see can pull a book off the shelf and read a little before her food comes!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014I was never more disappointed in a restaurant which had such high reviews. My wife and I both had steaks that were over cooked and had a strange texture which they wouldn't know since they didn't ask. Our table was in the center of the restaurant and the servers ran into one of our chairs at ten times each. It appeared that their main objective was to turn each table. We bought a bottle of wine which I poured. We couldn't leave fast enough.
- Too expensive for what yout getOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014No substitutions allowed on menu, even with food allergies. Food came so quickly that it had to be "pre-cooked" ahead of time. Sat us next to a open window which had a fly in it. Definitely too expensive for what you get. Really a shame, because the place is unique and we wish it would have been a keeper for us. Our waitress was very nice though. This was an anniversary dinner for us too, so that adds to the total disappointment. We won't be going again. You only get one chance for a first impression.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014This was my first experience at The Library. Outstanding location and ambiance. If my travels bring me back to the Portsmouth area, I will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!JeffBDined on 8/9/2014As always, a perfect meal. The steaks are our favorite with the lobster mac and cheese. The Bang Bang shrimp are to die for! Whenever we want to go out for a nice, fancy meal, The Library is our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingjroushVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was great and the lobster pot pie was amazing. Service was second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to talkmseeligDined on 8/8/2014The atmosphere was very nice and the service was very good as well. This place losses point because my dates Hadock was undercooked. When I got home talked to some friends who had the same issue on the same dish. Definitely will give it another shot but for the price things like that should be automaticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good betOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014We got our usual. Filet au poivre, crab cake app and au gratin potatoes. Steak was tasty but a bit tough this time and one was overdone a bit. Potatoes are to die for as was the crab cake. Wine was a little pricier than I remember (only 1 choice by the glass for Malbec or Reisling). Still a great value for money for an 8 oz filet. We will continue to spend Saturday nights here regularly.Special Features: