The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub
425 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelibraryatthepublic.com/
- Phone: 2125398777x
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 PM to 12:00 AM Tuesday & Wednesday
Kitchen closes at 11:00 PM.
5:30 PM to 1:00 AM Thursday-Saturday
Late Night Menu Thursday - Saturday 11:00pm to 12:00 am
Closed on Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Carmellini
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Library at The Public Theater is the perfect location for your next private dinner, cocktail reception or downtown celebration for parties of 12-100 guests.
The design by David Rockwell draws its inspiration from the building's original use as the city's first public library. Vintage elements like distressed leather chairs, industrial, steel-frame bookcases along the perimeter and a Parisian rug at the room's center invoke a welcoming, lived-in sense, while artifacts from past productions pay homage to the great performances of past, present and future.
Outside of The Library, consider the Lobby of the Public Theater for larger cocktail parties, the Lobby Balcony for smaller groups or our stage at Joe's Pub for live entertainment.
- Private Party Contact: Marie Lyons 2125398790x
A word from The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub
The Library at The Public is an Astor-era lounge tucked away in the mezzanine level of The Public Theater's new downtown home at Astor Place serving classic and inspired cocktails, wine, and Chef Andrew Carmellini's eclectic American menu sourcing local ingredients and New York influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)special occasion (31)romantic (30)neighborhood gem (26)late-night find (22)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014Service was erratic and lacked professionalism, food not particularly good and quite overpriced; attractive, but extremely noisy room. Positives include nice atmosphere (except for the difficulty in having a conversation due to the noise of competing conversations, and it's conveniently located for theater-goers. We're subscribers to The Public and received a discount, but won't come back to this place - there are too many other good and convenient restaurant options in that neighborhood for us to risk another sub-par (and expensive) experience here.Special Features:
- A Work in ProgressProfessorDined on 10/4/2014This is the second time I've been to the Library. I had lamb chops, which were perfectly cooked. However they sat on some bulgar wheat and vegetables which were stone cold! Also, because we are members of The Public, we got a discount on our check. The hostess came over and strongly urged us to tip on the original, rather than the discounted check. Very low class action. I was insulted. Tips are at the discretion of the diners. The place needs better management both in the kitchen and in the front of the room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014IT WAS SO LOUD. seriously. i love the library. i'm a theatremaker and i work at the public often as do my colleagues, and indeed i was there with people working on shows in the building last night. but dear god, it was so loud, and NOBODY in the room seemed to be enjoying the insane volume of the VERY BAD PLAYLIST that was playing. i will of course always come because it is convenient, but oy vey. isn't it supposed to be a place for the associated artists with the public theatre, and their audiences, to come to decompress and gather and celebrate before and after performances?Special Features:
- There is no reason to go hereHugodoggieVIPDined on 10/2/2014We thought this would be convenient because we were seeing a show. The drinks are expensive, stingy pours of wine. I ordered a $14 salad, it was like nothing, there was nothing in it. Had to order a hamburger because the $14 salad was too tiny. This is a pretty room to eat in, but a rip off. $99 was our bill. For salad, a hamburger and an appetizer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2014We went to the library as part of a concert that night. The food was surprisingly good esp the pasts Bolognese but all in all very good
- MehElphyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Given the "team" behind this restaurant I would have thought the food to be a bit better. The polenta was bland - sort of like cream of wheat. The cheese that was served with the cheese and crackers was also tasteless. My salad was uninspired. The serving of olives was very generous. It is good if you are going to a show at the Public because it is convenient.
- Fun and delicious!CeCeDined on 9/19/2014Shared several small plates and the BooLoo with friends. It was a wonderful variety of foods and drinks to choose from. Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu requires a bit of translationBirthdayDinnerDined on 9/17/2014We celebrated our birthdays and it was a good evening. We had to ask a lot of questions about items on the menu since it included many words/names we had never heard before (Branzino is a fish?). We are lactose intolerant and that made a lot of the menu out of our reach, especially the desserts. Wish there was more non-cheese/milk choices. Otherwise, everyone was friendly and food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but...WeapatDined on 9/15/2014Went to play at public theatre and this was convenient to show. Pear arugula salad pretty good, shrimp taco inedible. Friend enjoyed her burger tho it arrived with the bacon she had asked them to leave off, and her fries were great. Menu choices so-so but place attractive in a dimly lit way.
- Wonderful!CleomurrayDined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed our meal here before the show! Food was excellent. Will look for another occasion to come into the city... hey ~ coming to this restaurant may be enough of a reason!Special Features:
- An oasis of calmSuburbanite06820Dined on 8/25/2014Pre-show dinner was great. The Library was very calm and serene in contrast to the noisy vibe downstairs. Great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before or After ShowDennyVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a great spot for drinks or dinner before or after a show at the Public. The Library decor is beautiful (though it's somewhat undermined by a sometimes raucous crowd at the bar). Service is first rate, and food is excellent, though friends I've been with have found the menu either limited or exotic. (Check it out online before you go; I think it's fine.) Generous discount for Public Theater members, too! I'd always choose to eat here when I'm in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foods -- I want the recipes!notafoodieDined on 8/13/2014We loved the smoked cauliflower cassoulet -- I want the recipe. Also the salad dressing on the eggplant and zucchini appetizer was different than anything we'd had before and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of RWNYCsleeVIPDined on 8/13/2014I came here for a restaurant week dinner and I must say this was my favorite restaurant I've been to. Usually RW menus have 2/3 options for appetizer, main, and dessert. Here, it was the entire menu! The food was delicious and larger portion sizes than you would imagine. I had the pleasure of trying the cucumber soup and calamari for appetizers, the pork chop and steak frites for the main, and the chocolate cake and berry crumble for dessert. I also tried their "ode to clover" cocktail. It was well balanced and delicious (yum bourbon!) I've already been raving about this place to all my friends and coworkers and will definitely come back for more!Special Features:
- ServicebbdinesDined on 8/7/2014The Library provided not only great food but great service. My waiter was helpful about the selections and was concerned that we will be able to get to the theater on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotmpettVIPDined on 8/1/2014this was my first time dining here. the food was really good, and it was a nice scene - relaxed but good bar scene. will come back!Special Features:
- Great SpotSemifoodie08Dined on 7/31/2014The reviews are all on point for the library. The food was great and dessert even better. Oh, how could I forget the mixology drinks. They were tasty. The atmosphere was comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu for gastronomic readersvioloncelloDined on 7/31/2014We had a wonderful evening at the Library- Joe's Pub: the place is cosy and quiet, the service is efficient and we appreciated as well the variery and the quality of the courses. I went there with some French friends, real foodies, and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday CelebrationGramercyCatDined on 7/31/2014Charming place on second floor of The PUBLIC, food was very good and all reasonableSpecial Features:
- Genuine classic and charmNYwildcritterVIPDined on 7/31/2014Love the library setting and romantic lighting. comfy sofas in the middle to wait for friends and a lively bar. Service was great, very accommodating to large groups.Special Features:
- Unexpected pleasureL0la132VIPDined on 7/30/2014We went to the Library after a performance at the Public. The room is cozy and comfortable, with a noise level that allows theater-goers easily to discuss and debate without having to shout. The menu offers a good variety of seasonal dishes, with a heavy emphasis on fresh vegetables and fruit. The food was well prepared and presented. Service was competent and pleasant. I would certainly go again.Special Features:
- Extremely impressiveprezzy318Dined on 7/28/2014Simply fantastic. Booked a last minute table during food week and had an incredible meal. Try the spiced pork chop and cold cucumber soup. Also the pannacotta with peaches was amazing. Only complaint was that the drinks were pricey, but reasonable given the level of the restaurant/bar. Also seemed like a great atmosphere to just grab a drink. Have eaten at many of nyc's top restaurants and this was up there with the best and much cheaper. Definitely going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014I was pleasantly surprised by this hidden gem of a restaurant located at The Public Theater. The ambiance was really elegant and a great place for date night. The food was very good too. Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DinnerBilliamVIPDined on 7/25/2014I met a group of friends here for dinner Friday night during restaurant week. The food was amazing, of special note were the shrimp tacos and the pork chop. The drinks were also special, and the atmosphere was aided by a bustling bar adjacent to the dining room. I wouldn't hesitate returning for another meal.Special Features:
- Check Out The LibrarygarrisonwoodsDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful meal with the family during restaurant week. Food was excellent, service friendly and efficient. Will definitely return next time we're in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Drinks!Mee2404Dined on 7/23/2014Hubby and I went here for Restaurant Week as it is one of the establishments that have most of their regular menu available for the prix frixe. The portions were much bigger than we expected, and the pineapple jalapeño shrub was divine. Service was spectacular, despite being in with the before show crowd. Our only complaint....quarters are a little tight when they are busy....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but Overpriced DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/23/2014$14 for Prosecco?? Other than that we loved it. The food was great, tons of options (and veggie options) on the Restaurant Week menu. The house-made syrups ("Shrubs") to mix into drinks were amazing. But $14 for Prosecco??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTRayDined on 7/22/2014The food was great, especially the pork chop. Very soft and juicy. Very well prepared. The panacotta dessert was delicious. The shrimp tacos were okay. Nothing special. Too much cabbage. Shrimp was moderately seasoned. But the staff were very pleasant and accomodating and the it had a great ambience and decor. Would totally go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I had time to finish dessertSomerledVIPDined on 7/22/2014We were seated 2 hours before our show was to start, so thought we should have plenty of time. Food was DELICIOUS! It was restaurant week and for a very reasonable price I had the chilled cucumber soup with crab & watermelon, hangar steak frites, and summer berry crumble. Soooo good! Unfortunately dessert wasn't served until 10 minutes before my show was to begin, so I just had time for a couple bites.
- Here Lies LoveMed87reunionDined on 7/17/2014Pre-show dinner. Good ambience. Menu is simple. Ordered Act 1 but did not arrive. Act 2 arrived. Minimal service rendered. Place is not busy. Good only when watching show in the theater and running out of ideas where to go. Dr JSpecial Features:
- Great!DevomonsterDined on 7/11/2014The service was great, cocktails were delicious and the food was very good!Special Features:
- Great spot for a book club meetingBrooklynJaneDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I tried The Library soon after it opened, and we loved it: the food was good, the service was great, and the atmosphere was amazing. I've since been bringing my book club there, as The Library provides one more factor besides all of the above: it is quiet. We can hear each other talk. One would be amazed how difficult it is to find a restaurant in NYC with great food, beautiful room, and a low noise level. So thank you, The Library for making our monthly meetings so special!Special Features:
- The following 244 reviews are from the The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub reviews archive.
- Wonderful PlaceRockDined on 6/14/2014A wonderful place, well informed server. A bit of premature clearing and a drink removed before it was drunk. Well worth a return trip even if not seeing a show at the Public.Special Features:
- Wobderful dining experienceyummyciboDined on 6/13/2014Perfect place to go after a show. Great cocktails made the night. Food was very good and shared with friends. Service was a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- See a play, eat dinnerindicatDined on 6/3/2014So nice that the convenience of eating at The Public when seeing a play also offers great food, drinks and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a superb eveningMfwolffDined on 5/24/2014The Library is a first rate spot for light fare, drinks, serious dining. The combination of the public theater and Joe's a Pub, well, great spot for a superb evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but tightFrankMDined on 5/23/2014The food was excellent but the portions were on the small side. Also, the tables were very close together making it difficult to get in and out of your seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostKatie10033Dined on 5/20/2014Great spot, great service, but the food was bad, and the prices were high! My $29 pork chop was dry, tough and super salty. I should have sent it back but we were heading to a show and I wasn't sure I'd have time. Also it was too noisy.
- Good food, but not before a showInterloperVIPDined on 5/19/2014My friends and I decided to have dinner at The Library before a show at The Public and indicated that we had tickets. We arrived promptly at 6:30 PM--plenty of time, or so we thought, before our 8:00 PM show. The food was delicious. While the Crispy Calamari was a little on the greasy side, the grilled asparagus with lemon breadcrumbs was delicious and both the burger and steak were solid. However, despite a mostly empty room, the service was surprisingly and excruciatingly slow. We had to look for our server more than once and had to ask for our check in the midst of eating our entrées. While we would have loved to stay for dessert and coffee, there was no time. Sadly, this experience probably precludes our going there before a show again.
- library and Here Lies LovetrioVIPDined on 5/14/2014everything is right about "THE LIBRARY". ambiance is perfect--intimate yet not cramped, lively yet you can carry on a conversation without shouting (as opposed to so many NYC restaurants these days). We had fabulous dinner with terrific wine pre the theatre (and by the way Here Lies Love is one of the most unique, fun, yet you-learn-something, and you dance! "play experiences" ever). We returned to the Library after the play--this time sat at the bar for one glass of wine which led to three ...great live jazz (again not drowning out conversation) and though packed on a wed night, still comforatable. Loved it and will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.