The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub
425 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelibraryatthepublic.com/
- Phone: (212) 539-8777
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 PM to 12:00 AM Tuesday & Wednesday
Kitchen closes at 11:00 PM.
5:30 PM to 1:00 AM Thursday-Saturday
Late Night Menu Thursday - Saturday 11:00pm to 12:00 am
Closed on Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Carmellini
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Library at The Public Theater is the perfect location for your next private dinner, cocktail reception or downtown celebration for parties of 12-100 guests.
The design by David Rockwell draws its inspiration from the building's original use as the city's first public library. Vintage elements like distressed leather chairs, industrial, steel-frame bookcases along the perimeter and a Parisian rug at the room's center invoke a welcoming, lived-in sense, while artifacts from past productions pay homage to the great performances of past, present and future.
Outside of The Library, consider the Lobby of the Public Theater for larger cocktail parties, the Lobby Balcony for smaller groups or our stage at Joe's Pub for live entertainment.
- Private Party Contact: Marie Lyons 2125398790x
A word from The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub
The Library at The Public is an Astor-era lounge tucked away in the mezzanine level of The Public Theater's new downtown home at Astor Place serving classic and inspired cocktails, wine, and Chef Andrew Carmellini's eclectic American menu sourcing local ingredients and New York influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Library at the Public - Joe's Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (33)romantic (27)late-night find (27)special occasion (26)vibrant bar scene (23)good for groups (23)hot spot (12)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Usually great, but not this timecookieVIPDined on 11/23/2014Love the ambiance and usually the food and service are perfect, but this time we had to send back one drink (too sweet martini) and one soup (too salty) and had trouble getting the attention of our waiter. hopefully this is an extraordinary experience -- we've always liked this restaurant and will certainly give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal after theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Just upstairs from the Public Theater and great for a cold or rainy night. The food is good (though the coffee is not), and the crowd always lively, including play-goers and actors who drop in after perfmances. Twice we have been unlucky to have a particular waitress whose joyless style seemed better suited to a customs inspector, but otherwise the waitstaff are gracious, in keeping with the overall hospitable mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient and CozyLeffertsmomDined on 11/21/2014We came for a pre-show dinner. The service was excellent and the restaurant is warm and inviting. My friend and I both had a glass of wine and the waitress was kind enough to let us sample the two we were choosing between. My friend ordered the bronzino which I tasted and thought was so delicious I'll definitely order it the next time. I was in the mood for a burger which was quite good but we both thought the fries were too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehNYMomVIPDined on 11/19/2014While this is convenient, the menu is quite limited and the food is bland. I would go elsewhere in the neighborhood.
- foodforthoughtDined on 11/16/2014as always, a perfect place for pre-theater supper or post theater drink or snack. Staff are attentive to opening of curtain so times service to accommodate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre and Post Theater SceneintheheightsDined on 11/13/2014The room is beautifully decorated, although windowless; the staff friendly,attentive and knowledgeable, the menu varied with a good selection of vegetarian entrees. Although not cheap, it's a bit bustling so I wouldn't go there for romantic or special occasions. Not sure i'd go there if I weren't going to the theater in the building -- but it's perfect for a very nice pre-or post-theater meal or drink. The whole experience is very enjoyable and I always look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibe, good foodEclecticGuyVIPDined on 11/12/2014The only but is that the kitchen closes way too early. Shouldn't you be able to get a meal after seeing a show at the Public without rushing into the restaurant and quickly ordering before the kitchen snaps shut at 10:30?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaseyDined on 11/12/2014Great pre-theater dining for The Public. Lovely warm atmosphere, good service and good food. Menu is interesting and varied.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theater especially a 7pm curtainHHellerVIPDined on 11/12/2014While our dishes were good and the wait person very good, the wine list was quite expensive for the venue. They should add some affordable wines for a rather quick dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful menu selection!anniedoodleDined on 11/11/2014Chose this because of the closeness to where we needed to be for an event - this venue is amazing! The food was great, but discovering the theatres and plays available - I had no idea what the Public had to offer, but The Library is certainly a gem among gems!Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-show at the Public.WiglafVIPDined on 11/9/2014The setting is wonderful and really draws you into the world of theatre. The food is fine, all of it more than acceptable as restaurant fare, well worth the convenience of being inside the Public complex. The service has always been lovely. It can get a bit crowded and noisy when multiple shows are playing, but this trip was on a Sunday night, and we were able to enjoy the room and the vibes. We used to eat before our trek downtown rather than navigate the nearby spots. Now we are sold on the Library.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudeDined on 11/6/2014We had a great time! Had drinks before dinner, enjoyed a delicious dinner, then had an after dinner drink before the show at Joe's Pub. The staff was attentive and very friendly. Food was good (especially fries!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/4/2014perfect for pre-theatre dining. however we were there early for a 7PM performance. service was fast, food was fresh and creative. we had three dishes - one was excellent one was very good one was okay. the fries were excellent. i worry that it might get loud when full but we'll have to return to find outSpecial Features:
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014we thought it would be a good idea to eat here after a show at Joe's Pub. But it took a great deal of time before the wait staff recognized our presence and 45 minutes after finally ordering, our entrees still hadn't arrived. So we left.
- This belongs in the Meh columnKatherineVIPDined on 10/30/2014My husband and I have had dinner there a couple of times after seeing plays at the Public Theater, so it was convenient just to go upstairs to the Library. It has a nice clubby kind of ambience, and a lively bar scene, and the wine we drank, a pinot noir, was excellent. Unfortunately, the food is just okay. I wish I could give it a better review. Stick with the calimari, the hamburger and fries; the shrimp tacos, with only one or two baby shrimp on each, were tasteless. It was a busy night, but the service was good, a little slow, but professional. All in all, though, I won't rush back. There are better options in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014Food was very salty the night we went and the room was very loud.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-PublicBudKDined on 10/29/2014We regularly dine at The Library pre-Public Theater. It is incredibly convenient, very good food, excellent service, and timing is never an issue. They recently expanded the menu and this has improved the experience. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itdangelic0Dined on 10/27/2014Excellent setting, ambiance, and food. Service was impeccable, as was the aestheticSpecial Features:
- Always wonderfulFyllbVIPDined on 10/23/2014this restaurant has great food. a wonderful bartender, who makes great and exotic drinks. staff is friendly and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014Service was erratic and lacked professionalism, food not particularly good and quite overpriced; attractive, but extremely noisy room. Positives include nice atmosphere (except for the difficulty in having a conversation due to the noise of competing conversations, and it's conveniently located for theater-goers. We're subscribers to The Public and received a discount, but won't come back to this place - there are too many other good and convenient restaurant options in that neighborhood for us to risk another sub-par (and expensive) experience here.Special Features:
- Great pre or post Public TheaterWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 10/9/2014I really enjoy the Library's atmosphere. Good, light dinner choices. A perfect place to dine post-performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Work in ProgressProfessorDined on 10/4/2014This is the second time I've been to the Library. I had lamb chops, which were perfectly cooked. However they sat on some bulgar wheat and vegetables which were stone cold! Also, because we are members of The Public, we got a discount on our check. The hostess came over and strongly urged us to tip on the original, rather than the discounted check. Very low class action. I was insulted. Tips are at the discretion of the diners. The place needs better management both in the kitchen and in the front of the room.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014IT WAS SO LOUD. seriously. i love the library. i'm a theatremaker and i work at the public often as do my colleagues, and indeed i was there with people working on shows in the building last night. but dear god, it was so loud, and NOBODY in the room seemed to be enjoying the insane volume of the VERY BAD PLAYLIST that was playing. i will of course always come because it is convenient, but oy vey. isn't it supposed to be a place for the associated artists with the public theatre, and their audiences, to come to decompress and gather and celebrate before and after performances?Special Features:
- There is no reason to go hereHugodoggieVIPDined on 10/2/2014We thought this would be convenient because we were seeing a show. The drinks are expensive, stingy pours of wine. I ordered a $14 salad, it was like nothing, there was nothing in it. Had to order a hamburger because the $14 salad was too tiny. This is a pretty room to eat in, but a rip off. $99 was our bill. For salad, a hamburger and an appetizer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2014We went to the library as part of a concert that night. The food was surprisingly good esp the pasts Bolognese but all in all very good
- MehElphyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Given the "team" behind this restaurant I would have thought the food to be a bit better. The polenta was bland - sort of like cream of wheat. The cheese that was served with the cheese and crackers was also tasteless. My salad was uninspired. The serving of olives was very generous. It is good if you are going to a show at the Public because it is convenient.
- Fun and delicious!CeCeDined on 9/19/2014Shared several small plates and the BooLoo with friends. It was a wonderful variety of foods and drinks to choose from. Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu requires a bit of translationBirthdayDinnerDined on 9/17/2014We celebrated our birthdays and it was a good evening. We had to ask a lot of questions about items on the menu since it included many words/names we had never heard before (Branzino is a fish?). We are lactose intolerant and that made a lot of the menu out of our reach, especially the desserts. Wish there was more non-cheese/milk choices. Otherwise, everyone was friendly and food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but...WeapatDined on 9/15/2014Went to play at public theatre and this was convenient to show. Pear arugula salad pretty good, shrimp taco inedible. Friend enjoyed her burger tho it arrived with the bacon she had asked them to leave off, and her fries were great. Menu choices so-so but place attractive in a dimly lit way.
- Wonderful!CleomurrayDined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed our meal here before the show! Food was excellent. Will look for another occasion to come into the city... hey ~ coming to this restaurant may be enough of a reason!Special Features:
- An oasis of calmSuburbanite06820Dined on 8/25/2014Pre-show dinner was great. The Library was very calm and serene in contrast to the noisy vibe downstairs. Great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before or After ShowDennyVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is a great spot for drinks or dinner before or after a show at the Public. The Library decor is beautiful (though it's somewhat undermined by a sometimes raucous crowd at the bar). Service is first rate, and food is excellent, though friends I've been with have found the menu either limited or exotic. (Check it out online before you go; I think it's fine.) Generous discount for Public Theater members, too! I'd always choose to eat here when I'm in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foods -- I want the recipes!notafoodieDined on 8/13/2014We loved the smoked cauliflower cassoulet -- I want the recipe. Also the salad dressing on the eggplant and zucchini appetizer was different than anything we'd had before and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of RWNYCsleeVIPDined on 8/13/2014I came here for a restaurant week dinner and I must say this was my favorite restaurant I've been to. Usually RW menus have 2/3 options for appetizer, main, and dessert. Here, it was the entire menu! The food was delicious and larger portion sizes than you would imagine. I had the pleasure of trying the cucumber soup and calamari for appetizers, the pork chop and steak frites for the main, and the chocolate cake and berry crumble for dessert. I also tried their "ode to clover" cocktail. It was well balanced and delicious (yum bourbon!) I've already been raving about this place to all my friends and coworkers and will definitely come back for more!Special Features:
- ServicebbdinesDined on 8/7/2014The Library provided not only great food but great service. My waiter was helpful about the selections and was concerned that we will be able to get to the theater on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotmpettVIPDined on 8/1/2014this was my first time dining here. the food was really good, and it was a nice scene - relaxed but good bar scene. will come back!Special Features:
- Great SpotSemifoodie08Dined on 7/31/2014The reviews are all on point for the library. The food was great and dessert even better. Oh, how could I forget the mixology drinks. They were tasty. The atmosphere was comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu for gastronomic readersvioloncelloDined on 7/31/2014We had a wonderful evening at the Library- Joe's Pub: the place is cosy and quiet, the service is efficient and we appreciated as well the variery and the quality of the courses. I went there with some French friends, real foodies, and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday CelebrationGramercyCatDined on 7/31/2014Charming place on second floor of The PUBLIC, food was very good and all reasonableSpecial Features:
- Genuine classic and charmNYwildcritterVIPDined on 7/31/2014Love the library setting and romantic lighting. comfy sofas in the middle to wait for friends and a lively bar. Service was great, very accommodating to large groups.Special Features: