The Liberty Tavern
3195 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Liberty Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelibertytavern.com/
- Phone: 7034659360
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Liam M. LaCivita
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Liberty Tavern
The Liberty Tavern offers rustic, modern American cuisine in a historic 1907 building that has been beautifully restored and updated. Featuring an inviting street level bar and an intimate dining room on the second level, The Liberty Tavern offers an affordable, diverse wine list, creative specialty cocktails, and a great selection of premium draft and bottled beer. The comfortable, timeless ambiance will be enhanced by warm, hospitable service. Whether you’re joining us for a round of drinks in the bar, a casual midweek supper with your children, or a special evening with friends and family, you’ll be sure to feel at home. Liberty To-Go offers a separate carry-out entrance on Irving Street where wood-fired pizzas, grilled panini, fresh salads and other specialties will be conveniently offered for enjoyment at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Liberty Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
The Liberty Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (151)fit for foodies (142)great for brunch (109)vibrant bar scene (103)good for groups (82)great for lunch (58)special occasion (58)hot spot (56)great for outdoor dining (52)kid-friendly (30)notable wine list (28)romantic (23)late-night find (18)scenic view (2)Show More
- Just GoodElleVIPDined on 9/16/2014I've been here quite a few times, but for some reason, this month's menu just did not appeal to me. Apparently they'll be changing it in the coming weeks, so it'll be worth going again.
- Solid BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014This is our 3rd or 4th trip to Liberty Tavern for brunch - it's the same menu with lots of high quality ingredients and a wide variety of food. Definitely make a reservation as it gets quite busy for brunch. We were disappointed on this trip because a lot of the trays sat empty for a long time and staples were not replenished. We would go back - but maybe order a la carte.Special Features:
- dining on the cusp of happy hourCuteisWhatIAimForVIPDined on 9/12/2014we had 7pm reservations and could either have the end of the communal table inside first floor with the energetic crowd (which was fun!), or sit outside. We opted for outside since we were meeting a couple from out of town for quasi-business. Fun night, great food, fabulous weather. will return. everyone was very nice at the restaurant and the waitress knew the menu well enough to even answer one of our party's obscure questions. thanks for a great clarendon option.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Nice range of food - perhaps a few more cold desserts. Seating is a little tight but cant be helped I suppose. Would definitely come back with company.Special Features:
- Labor Day BrunchartjamacVIPDined on 9/1/2014Our waitress did not seem to be in good mood to work on Labor Day, but she should not brought us down with her mood. Service starts with a smile! We tried to cheer her up, but it doesn't seem to affect her. She stood a subtle grumpy. Anyway, the food were ok. It was a long wait. Few other tables were waiting too. We prefer buffet style (Saturday & Sunday brunch) - we had those experiences and it was really good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerLCTisingerDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful anniversary dinner this past weekend and Liberty Tavern was awesome! I noted that it was our anniversary when I made the reservation and right after we sat down the manager came over and handed us two glasses of champagne and wished us a happy anniversary! If that wasn't enough he then brought over some delicious gazpacho on the house! Wow talk about making you feel special. The food and service is always top notch! We love this place and usually save it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedCMLaDined on 8/31/2014I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by well prepared tasty brunch entrees based on farm to table ingredients combined with excellent service. I especially like that you can order from the menu or enjoy the all you can eat brunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingAprilDined on 8/30/2014We were a group of 5 having dinner. The service was slow, especially the bar service. One person ordered a margarita and noted that it was so weak that she wasn't sure there was any tequila in it. The french fries were soggy. The rest of the food ordered was so so. The menu was not compelling.
- Consistently AmazingJennaDined on 8/28/2014What we love most about the Liberty Tavern is that the menu is constantly changing but quality never does. We had our anniversary dinner there and it was simply delicious. Their ribs appetizer and octopus ceviche was so flavorful and satisfying. Although it sounded strange, we had to try the shrimp pizza - it did not disappoint. We ended up not finishing it all but luckily is was still super yummy the next morning. Beyond the food the staff courtesy and friendliness cannot be beat. The inside is a little louder and vibrant and the front patio table are great for people watching. We prefer the side tables along the alley/street. It's quiet and and feels more intimate. We're thinking of heading back for their brunch this weekend!Special Features:
- Neighborhood FaveSallieDined on 8/24/2014I and my friends had an enjoyable brunch last Sunday at Liberty Tavern, but the noise level was very high. Perhaps this is a problem more for people of our middle ages, but no one likes to shout while eating. The food was generally good (we had three omelets -- light and delicious -- one order of yummy French toast, and a tasty burger), but one of our orders was incorrect (though replaced quickly), and my coffee was lukewarm (also replaced rapidly). The blackberry bellinis were delicious! The extensive brunch buffet looked delicious, but we opted to order from the menu because we knew we'd overeat otherwise. Would like to try it again for a weekday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is quite a brunch!jc6202VIPDined on 8/24/2014We celebrated our friend's birthday with Brunch at Liberty Tavern. We had been there before but not for brunch. Wow, there is an endless supply of delicious items on the brunch tables upstairs, the variety was amazing and the food was wonderful, of course. Save room for desserts. All in all, everything was delicious and the value was great. Pay one price and you get quite a bit to enjoy.Special Features:
- Try the shortribslovefood2Dined on 8/23/2014It was our first time to visit this place. The braised shortribs were so tender and melts in your mouth!!! It was so delicious and the pairing with succotash made of fresh corn, and vegetables was superb. We also enjoyed the home-made breads and ice cream. Restaurant week was a good deal.Special Features:
- Could have been a lot betterEateatVIPDined on 8/22/2014The hostess is why they get 1 stars. My service was so horrible that the hostess' 5 star reception is knocked down to 1 due to the server. When I was seated my waiter was annoyed with my presence. Maybe he didn't like that I had a toddler with me but she had better manners and indoor-voice than all the adults around us. I would have left if it weren't for the fact that my friend was on her way and my lunch companion is on a schedule. Well night and day when my friend arrived. The waiter actually cracked a smile and through-out service only checked with her if she needed anything. It was so bad that he only asked her if she'd like another wine and ignored me. He tried to insert himself in the conversation when my friend was talking.
- WAY TOO LOUDFromDCVIPDined on 8/21/2014I was there at 7:00pm on a Thursday and "energetic" does not begin to describe the noise level. Deafening woud be a more accurate term to describe the noise which flowed up the open staircase from the bar to the second floor dining room. Accordingly this detracted from what could have otherwise been a pleasant dinner.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backMelissaDined on 8/21/2014This was my first time at The Liberty Tavern, and I can't wait until my next visit to Arlington. There were several people in my party with food allergies and the restaurant was extremely accommodating. The restaurant week special was the best deal I have ever had. The chocolate mousse dessert was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service but no privacyGrizDCDined on 8/17/2014Great social atmosphere, so don't go if you're looking for a quiet romantic evening. Waiter and staff waited on us hand over fist and were very informative.Special Features:
- AmuseDined on 8/17/2014Always unbelievable!!! One of our favorites ! The beef short ribs are always melt in your mouth succulent and the mash potatoes cannot be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Amazing food and service. Menu is constantly changing which keeps things interestingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Corey, our server, was great. Couldn't ask for a more professional, enjoyable person.
- Terrific LunchMABBDined on 8/15/2014A friend of mine took me for Birthday lunch to Liberty Tavern during restaurant week. Wow! A lovely gazpacho with lump blue crab meat, a lobster roll that was memorable (there must have been an entire lobster tail in that roll) and a cheesecake to finish it (or me) off. Food and service were terrific. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VCRratedDined on 8/15/2014Deserve to be the one of thevery best 100 best DC Restaurant.Special Features:
- Great restaurantmsmithDined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend the chocolate mousse for dessert!!Special Features:
- It doesn't get much louderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014First and foremost, the service was very good! I found the food nothing yo really brag about however. Pretty bland fare that lacked personality. The noise is almost unbearable!Special Features:
- BobsreviewBobsreviewDined on 8/13/2014It was restaurant week so for starters it was an especially great deal. Noise level was very high (we were upstairs). That was only thing on the down side. Service and food were very good and the menu had many interesting things to choose from. It will be on our list of places to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only you could parkNancyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great location, super food, exceptional service - everything was terrific. It was full, and hence a bit loud.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2014Two of us had appetizers: mussels and cheese plate; entrees: shrimp pizza and smoked salmon pizza; dessert: chocolate mousse and napoleon ice cream. All items were very well prepared and presented. The waitress was a very pleasant and accomodating young lady who was busy with a number of tables including one large party, but still was able to pay us adequate attention. She made all the difference. We recommend this place highly and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Very ReliableWDC1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Liberty Tavern remains as one of the most reliably consistent and good food restaurants in the Washington DC area. It's atmosphere is comfortable, it's service is very good and it's food is consistently fresh and very tasty. If your looking for a very pleasant and reasonably priced lunch or dinner out, Liberty Tavern would be a great choice.Special Features:
- Birthday lunch and restaurant weekNancyDined on 8/11/2014My friend was excited to try restaurant week, so I thought Liberty Tavern would be a great choice for her birthday lunch. Unfortunately, almost every dish we ordered wasn't worth finishing. The onion rings were greasy; the gnocchi dish had chunks of dry, chewy pork drowned in a tasteless tomato sauce; the romaine caesar, while enlivened with anchovies and a side of salmon, wasn't exciting and the romaine was stacked like logs--not enough dressing to help get it down. The gazpacho with crab was good; however, the seasoning was underwhelming. So I figured we'd at least end on a good note and ordered the chocolate mousse. It, too, was on the bland side and of a texture more like drying out yogurt than creamy mousse. A huge disappointment!
- stuffedshellsDined on 8/11/2014This was my first visit to Liberty Tavern and I enjoyed it. Our waiter was excellent, very personable and quick to accommodate our requests. Unfortunately we sat outside because the weather was so nice, but it was very noisy, even at mid-day. We went during restaurant week and the entire menu was still available. Overall a good visit and I would consider returning.Special Features:
- BrunchKAH1VIPDined on 8/10/2014The food selection for the Sunday brunch menu was very good and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCAdamsVIPDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic breakfast buffet! Highly recommend the buffet. My favorite has to be French toast and the man mosa drink!Special Features:
- Brunch didn't live up to the hypeArlingtongalDined on 8/9/2014I was underwhelmed by the brunch. Grits had a big lump--folks in the kitchen, you need to stir the grits. The offerings at the dessert table were not tempting.
- Good food UpstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014If you can escape the main floor bar and its excessive noise, you can eat well either upstairs or outside. There are interesting choices, especially among starters and the quality very good. Pizzas good as well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Delicious! (but pricey)LisaBDined on 8/5/2014I had been wanting to dine at Liberty Tavern since I moved to Arlington about 5 years ago. One of my friends was moving away so we decided it was time. We were a group of 5. In the upstairs area they have a large space for bigger parties. It was a little too dark for my taste. Prior to arriving I read some reviews on Yelp - we each ordered one of the "best" menu items (according to yelp) - the salmon, the burger, the Vermont pizza, the squid ink fettuccine, and the short ribs. Everything was very good! Each of us would rate the items an 8 out of 10, but not the best we've ever had. I also think that for the portion, the menu items were a little pricey. With that said, I'd definitely go back. OH - and they have a fantastic beer selection!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2014A great find in Clarendon, food is made fresh, and the sister restaurant to Lyon Hall. The downstairs area is more of a bar and singles hangout. However, we go upstairs with our small son for evening meals and the noise (from downstairs) is not noticeable. Have eaten severals times, both for lunch and dinner, and not been disappointed. That being said, the one exception is the lamb burger with middle eastern spices (which is absolutely delicious and a must try) is only available on the lunch menu : (Special Features:
- Interesting Menu and DrinkMarjo3VIPDined on 8/3/2014We took our visiting daughter and friend out for dinner on a modestly busy Sunday night this weekend. A couple of (surprisingly fatty) lamb chops as an appetizer tasted good, but required a bit of work to eat. A roasted beet salad was very good, and braised short-ribs of beef even better. Dinner was brought out before the appetizers were finished (a little too quickly), so we were left with a crowded table. Cocktails were the star here, as were a couple of pizzas. All in all worth a visit and, perhaps, a return sometime down the road.Special Features:
- Been there many timesWallyDined on 8/3/2014I am going back. I like the atmosphere, the food, and the beer.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchmandypantsDined on 8/3/2014Definitely need a reservation- we had one and we were seated pretty much right away but there was a gentleman at the host stand when we arrived who was complaining he'd been waiting 2 hours! The Brunch Buffet was pretty good- was a little difficult going up and down the stairs to go outside but the food was overall pretty good. The scrambled eggs and desserts were not so great but their grits and jalapeno sausage gravy was awesome! Wish they had bottomless drinks though :(Special Features:
- Great gathering for friendssylyDined on 8/2/2014My friends (7) and I were grabbing drinks and the bar was a perfect place for that. It was not too loud but not quite a dining-only scene. Service was amazing as usual and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- One of best dining experiences...DiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014We eat out frequently and I rarely feel a restaurant is worthy of writing an excellent review...this was a great meal! Service was excellent, food was perfectly seasoned and prepared - we tried pizza, pasta, salad and dessert and were from happy to ecstatic from all flavors! Look forward to goon back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.