The Liberty Tavern
3195 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Liberty Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelibertytavern.com/
- Phone: 7034659360
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Liam M. LaCivita
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Liberty Tavern
The Liberty Tavern offers rustic, modern American cuisine in a historic 1907 building that has been beautifully restored and updated. Featuring an inviting street level bar and an intimate dining room on the second level, The Liberty Tavern offers an affordable, diverse wine list, creative specialty cocktails, and a great selection of premium draft and bottled beer. The comfortable, timeless ambiance will be enhanced by warm, hospitable service. Whether you’re joining us for a round of drinks in the bar, a casual midweek supper with your children, or a special evening with friends and family, you’ll be sure to feel at home. Liberty To-Go offers a separate carry-out entrance on Irving Street where wood-fired pizzas, grilled panini, fresh salads and other specialties will be conveniently offered for enjoyment at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Liberty Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
The Liberty Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (149)fit for foodies (136)vibrant bar scene (97)great for brunch (95)good for groups (87)hot spot (61)great for lunch (54)special occasion (49)great for outdoor dining (46)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (25)romantic (18)late-night find (12)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great birthday dinnerUrbancicadaDined on 10/26/2014Had a fantastic time having my birthday dinner here with my family. Looking forward to going back again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchbpmurDined on 10/26/2014Liberty Tavern has a great brunch menu and buffet. The space is great for large groups and families, and the service is excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- brunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We made a reservation about a week in advance, arrived a couple of minutes late and were promptly seated. 3 of us had the brunch buffet, which is very good though a bit pricey. The pizza and smoked salmon were outstanding; roast beef, salads and pasta were all good. 4th member of group had hamburger, which he said was good, but also a little pricey. But in that neighborhood, maybe the prices are just average. The noise level downstairs is a typical bar (high decibel level, not suited for conversation); upstairs is much preferred.Special Features:
- Dinner and drinks afterwardsDavidDined on 10/24/2014Went here with my Fiancee and our neighbors...we had a great time. The food was awesome and the service was top notch. At first our reservation was not ready, but the place was very busy. The Bar was crowded, but the bartenders attentive, so the wait was not bad. Dinner itself was upstairs...where the noise abated somewhat and the ambiance changed...I did not find the bar noise downstairs to be too intrusive upstairs and overall made a very good overall experience. Afterwards, we went back downstairs and the bar was hopping.... Soooo... I would recommend it as a great date spot where you would like to have both: A great dinner followed up by some drinks in a vibrant bar (without one intruding on the other).Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I were visiting Arlington for race weekend and my birthday fell on that Friday. I had read some good reviews about Liberty Tavern and I decided to make reservations since we would be coming from out of town. It was a wonderful dinner and we had great service even though he was sat 4 tables at one time. I would recommend it to anyone and we talked about the experience all weekend.Special Features:
- Good, but not specialPassionateeaterDined on 10/23/2014Menu ok, but lacks diversity; no "wow" dishes that I saw.
- Enjoyed the new fall menuCharlotteDined on 10/22/2014I took a friend from NYC to Liberty Tavern as a bit of a reunion dinner. He had lived in Arlington about 30 years ago and was astounded to see how Clarendon has changed. Liberty was hopping on a Wednesday night with the bar crowded and every table busy at dinner. The new fall menu is great. He enjoyed the charred octopus with orange, fennel and fresno chilies and branzino, while I loved the amped up tavern salad and scallops with sweet potatoes and chanterelles. It was a very lovely dinner and he was amazed that Clarendon is all grown up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, especially for the $$OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014My only complaint is that it's noisy, but what great restaurant with big rooms isn't noisy?! The good is consistently great and the service is great as well.Special Features:
- Good brunchBT50VIPDined on 10/19/2014We had Sunday brunch here with a small group of friends. They have an extensive buffet which they had difficulty keeping stocked (big crowd!). Service was very good considering how crowded the place was. Noisy too.Special Features:
- Date NightTomBDined on 10/18/2014Great for a date on Saturday night. Waiter was attentive (Tony). Food was very good. We had a nice time, stuck around awhile, and never felt rushed. Recommended if you're in the Clarendon area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good time and good foodlytoDined on 10/18/2014After our third dinner at Liberty Tavern, we are looking forward to going again. Food is superb - tasty, clever combinations and good portions. Upstairs is more conducive for a dinner with conversation. Downstairs is very, very "vibrant" and great for the younger crowd who don't mind the crowd and the noise.Special Features:
- Excellent service and good food.AtlantaBabeDined on 10/15/2014Excellent for group of 20. Reasonable prices and attentive service. Close to Arlington National Cemetery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time, great foodctown4foodDined on 10/14/2014Liberty Tavern was a great venue for dinner. The servers were all very friendly and helpful, and the portion sizes were a great value. I had the Pork Shank; it was flavorful, succulent, and fall-off-the-bone tender. The side dishes (cauliflower and Brussels sprouts) were cooked to perfection. The Parmesan-crusted chips included in the bread basket were fantastic. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated Like RoyaltySharonDined on 10/9/2014A dear friend and I dined at Liberty Tavern last week. In addition to the fantastic food, we were treated like royalty! I have significant dietary restrictions, and the owner came to our table and consulted patiently with me to accommodate my needs. Moreover, the chef prepared a creative, sumptuous plate for me so that I did not feel at all slighted by not ordering directly off of the menu. I cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and a tavern atmosphereStormyandMayaDined on 10/9/2014Good tavern menu choices; the portions are very large, so bear that in mind when ordering. Good cocktails and pleasant service. It's a friendly, convivial place as one would expect a tavern to be.Special Features:
- Good choiceSpikeDined on 10/8/2014Service is efficient and friendly; food is well prepared; prices reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- low75Dined on 10/7/2014If there is a table at Liberty Tavern where you can have a conversation at normal voice levels, please post it...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeoldfriendsDined on 10/7/2014We came for the beer selection and also tried pizza, cheese plate, salads and desserts. Pizza was great! Nice crispy charred just the right amount. Salads looked great but were a little gritty. Beers and cheese were the highlight. Desserts were pretty but maybe not as tasty as they looked. Was a busy place for a tuesday night. Felt a bit rushed but at least the service was quick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined Upstairs...MissMaryDined on 10/6/2014This was only the second time that I've eaten at Liberty Tavern. The first time we were seated outside on a gorgeous evening; the second time we dined upstairs, which has a completely different feel. It's classy and refined without being overpriced. The food was good, and I look forward to my future third experience!Special Features:
- Great breakfast tableyaytevasVIPDined on 10/5/2014They have a great spread! Embarrassingly, I get at least 3 plates since my plate is usually full before I make it down one side of the table (one more plate for the dessert). I don't know how, but they manage to make the best red velvet cake ever --- the perfect proportion of icing to moist cake. And the almond macaroons were a dense, chewy treat. Bumped into a couple of friends on my way back from the table, and the servers were totally sweet about letting us join our friends' table. My only critique is that their steak (while cooked-to-perfection-rare) is itself not very well-seasoned. They have lots of sauces to have with the steak, but I prefer that the meat itself have a bit more flavor/salt.Special Features:
- First time for dinnerRuthieVIPDined on 10/4/2014I've been to LT many times for lunch; it's one of my favorites. I'd rate everything 5 stars at lunchtime including the food which is always scrumptious. Dinner was a bit disappointing. First, the bar area is extraordinarily loud so it's difficult to carry on a conversation. We moved upstairs which was less noisy. The service was outstanding as always but the food was disappointing. Our waiter highly recommended the lamb appetizers and the bay scallops entrée--both were good but neither lived up to his review. I wouldn't order either again. For $26 an entree I expect more. My friend's pizza was excellent but when I go out to dinner I want to eat something a little more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service, but NoisyjkriordanDined on 10/4/2014Beyond the 1-5 stars ratings, I'd like to reiterate that the service we received was fabulous! Our server communicated very naturally and seemed to take an interest in us as people. We wanted to order a couple of the types of cheese that Liberty Tavern offers as hors d'oeuvre, but were slow to decide. One person was reluctant to try cheeses not made from cow's milk. The server picked up on this and enthusiastically offered to bring out an additional cow milk cheese for this person on the house. Additionally, the restaurant is very loud. Liberty's attempt at a sit down restaurant and a bar scene in the same space heavily detracts from the sit down environment. Conversation is difficult. The next morning, two of us were a bit hoarse.Special Features:
- EatingoutwellEatingoutwellDined on 10/4/2014This was my second visit to LT, both visits were excellent in terms of food and service. Friday night seemed to be more conducive for less noise and easy conversation, Saturday night was a bit more crowded making conversation more challenging. We still enjoyed our meals, wine selection, pace of appetizers, salads and entrees. The servers consistently give good recommendations of specials or regular menu items. It is certainly worth a visit and we plan to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too rich, need more healthy optionsfoodlvr4lifeDined on 10/3/2014The food was good, but wish they had more heart healthy options - too rich and salty overall. Service and atmosphere was excellent and we had a great wine and very good server. The parma ham salad needed more arugula and less ham. Lamb ribs tasty, but way too fatty. The soup with beans chicken, kale and parmesan was too salty. Pizza tasted good but too oily. Spaghetti and meatballs was good and the best thing that the 4 of us tried. I'd go back, but encourage chef to flavor more healthfully instead of going overboard on the fat and salt!Special Features:
- Great Meal/ExperiencegraypluvrDined on 10/1/2014Wonderful food! Great service! Was there with friends and daughter for my wife's Bday dinner and we were treated very well all around.Special Features:
- another fine dinnerbikerbob54VIPDined on 9/27/2014every time we come here we marvel at how well they do with their menus and food preparationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drfbwazDined on 9/20/2014You are always assured of a great meal at the LibertySpecial Features:
- Good food. Good service.KristinDined on 9/17/2014Server was kind, friendly, accommodating. Similarly was the hostess. Menu selections were tasty. The overall menu looked tasty. Would definitely come back for the food and the service. The other clientele were not my cup of tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedJaneDined on 9/17/2014The menu is too limited; as someone with nut and seafood allergies I couldn't find a damn thing to eat. Ended up with a bowl of brussell sprouts which actually were delicious. But the fun ended there. The waitress disappeared, my companion's "medium" burger was bright red, the beer and wine list were tiny. Typical overpriced DC-area restaurant, and parking/traffic is horrendous.
- Just GoodElleVIPDined on 9/16/2014I've been here quite a few times, but for some reason, this month's menu just did not appeal to me. Apparently they'll be changing it in the coming weeks, so it'll be worth going again.
- Solid Brunchscm1133VIPDined on 9/14/2014This is our 3rd or 4th trip to Liberty Tavern for brunch - it's the same menu with lots of high quality ingredients and a wide variety of food. Definitely make a reservation as it gets quite busy for brunch. We were disappointed on this trip because a lot of the trays sat empty for a long time and staples were not replenished. We would go back - but maybe order a la carte.Special Features:
- dining on the cusp of happy hourCuteisWhatIAimForVIPDined on 9/12/2014we had 7pm reservations and could either have the end of the communal table inside first floor with the energetic crowd (which was fun!), or sit outside. We opted for outside since we were meeting a couple from out of town for quasi-business. Fun night, great food, fabulous weather. will return. everyone was very nice at the restaurant and the waitress knew the menu well enough to even answer one of our party's obscure questions. thanks for a great clarendon option.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Nice range of food - perhaps a few more cold desserts. Seating is a little tight but cant be helped I suppose. Would definitely come back with company.Special Features:
- Labor Day BrunchartjamacVIPDined on 9/1/2014Our waitress did not seem to be in good mood to work on Labor Day, but she should not brought us down with her mood. Service starts with a smile! We tried to cheer her up, but it doesn't seem to affect her. She stood a subtle grumpy. Anyway, the food were ok. It was a long wait. Few other tables were waiting too. We prefer buffet style (Saturday & Sunday brunch) - we had those experiences and it was really good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerLCTisingerDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful anniversary dinner this past weekend and Liberty Tavern was awesome! I noted that it was our anniversary when I made the reservation and right after we sat down the manager came over and handed us two glasses of champagne and wished us a happy anniversary! If that wasn't enough he then brought over some delicious gazpacho on the house! Wow talk about making you feel special. The food and service is always top notch! We love this place and usually save it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedCMLaDined on 8/31/2014I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by well prepared tasty brunch entrees based on farm to table ingredients combined with excellent service. I especially like that you can order from the menu or enjoy the all you can eat brunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingAprilDined on 8/30/2014We were a group of 5 having dinner. The service was slow, especially the bar service. One person ordered a margarita and noted that it was so weak that she wasn't sure there was any tequila in it. The french fries were soggy. The rest of the food ordered was so so. The menu was not compelling.
- Consistently AmazingJennaDined on 8/28/2014What we love most about the Liberty Tavern is that the menu is constantly changing but quality never does. We had our anniversary dinner there and it was simply delicious. Their ribs appetizer and octopus ceviche was so flavorful and satisfying. Although it sounded strange, we had to try the shrimp pizza - it did not disappoint. We ended up not finishing it all but luckily is was still super yummy the next morning. Beyond the food the staff courtesy and friendliness cannot be beat. The inside is a little louder and vibrant and the front patio table are great for people watching. We prefer the side tables along the alley/street. It's quiet and and feels more intimate. We're thinking of heading back for their brunch this weekend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014First time at the restaurant. It was a Monday night. Many of the offerings on an already limited were not available, but we learned that only after trying to order. I would have expected to be told in advance of ordering. Was not particularly busy, but service was very slow. Waiter was not very attentive. Long waits between courses and after asking for check. Meals were expensive and not at the level we expected for a restaurant voted one of the best in Arlington.
- Neighborhood FaveSallieDined on 8/24/2014I and my friends had an enjoyable brunch last Sunday at Liberty Tavern, but the noise level was very high. Perhaps this is a problem more for people of our middle ages, but no one likes to shout while eating. The food was generally good (we had three omelets -- light and delicious -- one order of yummy French toast, and a tasty burger), but one of our orders was incorrect (though replaced quickly), and my coffee was lukewarm (also replaced rapidly). The blackberry bellinis were delicious! The extensive brunch buffet looked delicious, but we opted to order from the menu because we knew we'd overeat otherwise. Would like to try it again for a weekday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.