The Liberty Tavern
3195 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Liberty Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelibertytavern.com/
- Phone: 7034659360
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Liam M. LaCivita
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Liberty Tavern
The Liberty Tavern offers rustic, modern American cuisine in a historic 1907 building that has been beautifully restored and updated. Featuring an inviting street level bar and an intimate dining room on the second level, The Liberty Tavern offers an affordable, diverse wine list, creative specialty cocktails, and a great selection of premium draft and bottled beer. The comfortable, timeless ambiance will be enhanced by warm, hospitable service. Whether you’re joining us for a round of drinks in the bar, a casual midweek supper with your children, or a special evening with friends and family, you’ll be sure to feel at home. Liberty To-Go offers a separate carry-out entrance on Irving Street where wood-fired pizzas, grilled panini, fresh salads and other specialties will be conveniently offered for enjoyment at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Liberty Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
The Liberty Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
275 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (146)fit for foodies (139)great for brunch (110)vibrant bar scene (99)good for groups (78)special occasion (62)great for lunch (61)hot spot (52)great for outdoor dining (50)kid-friendly (29)notable wine list (28)romantic (24)late-night find (16)scenic view (2)Show More
- Consistently AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014What we love most about the Liberty Tavern is that the menu is constantly changing but quality never does. We had our anniversary dinner there and it was simply delicious. Their ribs appetizer and octopus ceviche was so flavorful and satisfying. Although it sounded strange, we had to try the shrimp pizza - it did not disappoint. We ended up not finishing it all but luckily is was still super yummy the next morning. Beyond the food the staff courtesy and friendliness cannot be beat. The inside is a little louder and vibrant and the front patio table are great for people watching. We prefer the side tables along the alley/street. It's quiet and and feels more intimate. We're thinking of heading back for their brunch this weekend!Special Features:
- Neighborhood FaveSallieDined on 8/24/2014I and my friends had an enjoyable brunch last Sunday at Liberty Tavern, but the noise level was very high. Perhaps this is a problem more for people of our middle ages, but no one likes to shout while eating. The food was generally good (we had three omelets -- light and delicious -- one order of yummy French toast, and a tasty burger), but one of our orders was incorrect (though replaced quickly), and my coffee was lukewarm (also replaced rapidly). The blackberry bellinis were delicious! The extensive brunch buffet looked delicious, but we opted to order from the menu because we knew we'd overeat otherwise. Would like to try it again for a weekday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the shortribslovefood2Dined on 8/23/2014It was our first time to visit this place. The braised shortribs were so tender and melts in your mouth!!! It was so delicious and the pairing with succotash made of fresh corn, and vegetables was superb. We also enjoyed the home-made breads and ice cream. Restaurant week was a good deal.Special Features:
- Could have been a lot betterEateatVIPDined on 8/22/2014The hostess is why they get 1 stars. My service was so horrible that the hostess' 5 star reception is knocked down to 1 due to the server. When I was seated my waiter was annoyed with my presence. Maybe he didn't like that I had a toddler with me but she had better manners and indoor-voice than all the adults around us. I would have left if it weren't for the fact that my friend was on her way and my lunch companion is on a schedule. Well night and day when my friend arrived. The waiter actually cracked a smile and through-out service only checked with her if she needed anything. It was so bad that he only asked her if she'd like another wine and ignored me. He tried to insert himself in the conversation when my friend was talking.
- WAY TOO LOUDFromDCVIPDined on 8/21/2014I was there at 7:00pm on a Thursday and "energetic" does not begin to describe the noise level. Deafening woud be a more accurate term to describe the noise which flowed up the open staircase from the bar to the second floor dining room. Accordingly this detracted from what could have otherwise been a pleasant dinner.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backMelissaDined on 8/21/2014This was my first time at The Liberty Tavern, and I can't wait until my next visit to Arlington. There were several people in my party with food allergies and the restaurant was extremely accommodating. The restaurant week special was the best deal I have ever had. The chocolate mousse dessert was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service but no privacyGrizDCDined on 8/17/2014Great social atmosphere, so don't go if you're looking for a quiet romantic evening. Waiter and staff waited on us hand over fist and were very informative.Special Features:
- AmuseDined on 8/17/2014Always unbelievable!!! One of our favorites ! The beef short ribs are always melt in your mouth succulent and the mash potatoes cannot be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Amazing food and service. Menu is constantly changing which keeps things interestingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Corey, our server, was great. Couldn't ask for a more professional, enjoyable person.
- Terrific LunchMABBDined on 8/15/2014A friend of mine took me for Birthday lunch to Liberty Tavern during restaurant week. Wow! A lovely gazpacho with lump blue crab meat, a lobster roll that was memorable (there must have been an entire lobster tail in that roll) and a cheesecake to finish it (or me) off. Food and service were terrific. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VCRratedDined on 8/15/2014Deserve to be the one of thevery best 100 best DC Restaurant.Special Features:
- Great restaurantmsmithDined on 8/14/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend the chocolate mousse for dessert!!Special Features:
- It doesn't get much louderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014First and foremost, the service was very good! I found the food nothing yo really brag about however. Pretty bland fare that lacked personality. The noise is almost unbearable!Special Features:
- BobsreviewBobsreviewDined on 8/13/2014It was restaurant week so for starters it was an especially great deal. Noise level was very high (we were upstairs). That was only thing on the down side. Service and food were very good and the menu had many interesting things to choose from. It will be on our list of places to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only you could parkNancyVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great location, super food, exceptional service - everything was terrific. It was full, and hence a bit loud.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/13/2014Two of us had appetizers: mussels and cheese plate; entrees: shrimp pizza and smoked salmon pizza; dessert: chocolate mousse and napoleon ice cream. All items were very well prepared and presented. The waitress was a very pleasant and accomodating young lady who was busy with a number of tables including one large party, but still was able to pay us adequate attention. She made all the difference. We recommend this place highly and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Very ReliableWDC1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Liberty Tavern remains as one of the most reliably consistent and good food restaurants in the Washington DC area. It's atmosphere is comfortable, it's service is very good and it's food is consistently fresh and very tasty. If your looking for a very pleasant and reasonably priced lunch or dinner out, Liberty Tavern would be a great choice.Special Features:
- Birthday lunch and restaurant weekNancyDined on 8/11/2014My friend was excited to try restaurant week, so I thought Liberty Tavern would be a great choice for her birthday lunch. Unfortunately, almost every dish we ordered wasn't worth finishing. The onion rings were greasy; the gnocchi dish had chunks of dry, chewy pork drowned in a tasteless tomato sauce; the romaine caesar, while enlivened with anchovies and a side of salmon, wasn't exciting and the romaine was stacked like logs--not enough dressing to help get it down. The gazpacho with crab was good; however, the seasoning was underwhelming. So I figured we'd at least end on a good note and ordered the chocolate mousse. It, too, was on the bland side and of a texture more like drying out yogurt than creamy mousse. A huge disappointment!
- stuffedshellsDined on 8/11/2014This was my first visit to Liberty Tavern and I enjoyed it. Our waiter was excellent, very personable and quick to accommodate our requests. Unfortunately we sat outside because the weather was so nice, but it was very noisy, even at mid-day. We went during restaurant week and the entire menu was still available. Overall a good visit and I would consider returning.Special Features:
- BrunchKAH1VIPDined on 8/10/2014The food selection for the Sunday brunch menu was very good and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCAdamsVIPDined on 8/10/2014Fantastic breakfast buffet! Highly recommend the buffet. My favorite has to be French toast and the man mosa drink!Special Features:
- Brunch didn't live up to the hypeArlingtongalDined on 8/9/2014I was underwhelmed by the brunch. Grits had a big lump--folks in the kitchen, you need to stir the grits. The offerings at the dessert table were not tempting.
- Good food UpstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014If you can escape the main floor bar and its excessive noise, you can eat well either upstairs or outside. There are interesting choices, especially among starters and the quality very good. Pizzas good as well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Delicious! (but pricey)LisaBDined on 8/5/2014I had been wanting to dine at Liberty Tavern since I moved to Arlington about 5 years ago. One of my friends was moving away so we decided it was time. We were a group of 5. In the upstairs area they have a large space for bigger parties. It was a little too dark for my taste. Prior to arriving I read some reviews on Yelp - we each ordered one of the "best" menu items (according to yelp) - the salmon, the burger, the Vermont pizza, the squid ink fettuccine, and the short ribs. Everything was very good! Each of us would rate the items an 8 out of 10, but not the best we've ever had. I also think that for the portion, the menu items were a little pricey. With that said, I'd definitely go back. OH - and they have a fantastic beer selection!Special Features:
- Interesting Menu and DrinkMarjo3VIPDined on 8/3/2014We took our visiting daughter and friend out for dinner on a modestly busy Sunday night this weekend. A couple of (surprisingly fatty) lamb chops as an appetizer tasted good, but required a bit of work to eat. A roasted beet salad was very good, and braised short-ribs of beef even better. Dinner was brought out before the appetizers were finished (a little too quickly), so we were left with a crowded table. Cocktails were the star here, as were a couple of pizzas. All in all worth a visit and, perhaps, a return sometime down the road.Special Features:
- Been there many timesWallyDined on 8/3/2014I am going back. I like the atmosphere, the food, and the beer.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchmandypantsDined on 8/3/2014Definitely need a reservation- we had one and we were seated pretty much right away but there was a gentleman at the host stand when we arrived who was complaining he'd been waiting 2 hours! The Brunch Buffet was pretty good- was a little difficult going up and down the stairs to go outside but the food was overall pretty good. The scrambled eggs and desserts were not so great but their grits and jalapeno sausage gravy was awesome! Wish they had bottomless drinks though :(Special Features:
- Great gathering for friendssylyDined on 8/2/2014My friends (7) and I were grabbing drinks and the bar was a perfect place for that. It was not too loud but not quite a dining-only scene. Service was amazing as usual and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- One of best dining experiences...DiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014We eat out frequently and I rarely feel a restaurant is worthy of writing an excellent review...this was a great meal! Service was excellent, food was perfectly seasoned and prepared - we tried pizza, pasta, salad and dessert and were from happy to ecstatic from all flavors! Look forward to goon back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice SurpriseRichDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time and we were very pleasantly surprised. The waiter was attentive, informed, and fun without overdoing it. We started with cocktails, and I recommend their Manhattan. It could have been a little colder, but otherwise tasted great. Two of us had pizzas, which were imaginative and more than enough for a single person. We took half of each home. Our third diner had a burger and raved about it. The tables are little on the small side--reminded me of eating in New York. The dark wood surrounding the room was warm and inviting. I usually don't like sitting in the middle of a room, but there was plenty of room around our table and it never felt cramped. We will go back and explore more of the menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!DCFoodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food here is always delicious! I highly recommend their roasted chicken or steak, and make sure you save room for dessert.Special Features:
- LouLouDined on 7/29/2014Great food and really enjoyed the atmosphere. Service was ok but not great. Our bottle of wine was chilled for us but put far away from the table and out of our reach. Not only did we have to ask our waiter serveral times to pour some more wine, but at one point another patron started to "help themselves" to our wine. Very distracting. A little more attention to detail would have made this an all around 5 star experience, but would definitely return and had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Commendable food; excellent servicedinerpsDined on 7/29/2014All 3 of us enjoyed the line caught halibut on a bed of asparagus risotto, a couple of oyster mushrooms elegantly draped over the halibut with the oak charred onions. The halibut was well cooked - does not match the very fresh halibut I enjoyed once in Alaska -- but certainly very tasty. The service was great - server poured glasses of wine from the bottle giving us a chance to taste before filling our glasses - why don't more restaurants do that? All in all an enjoyable evening. PLUS A TIP: happy to be dining upstairs vs downstairs bar scene where you have to shout to be heard.Special Features:
- Everything is always good here.Luv2dineDined on 7/26/2014We had a party of 7. Booking on open table was easy. Phone call to confirm the day before was much appreciated. Love the upstairs dining for groups and a quieter dinner setting. The downstairs bar can get a little noisy. Which is fine if you want that. I love that they have second floor dining. Service was excellent. The food was cooked perfectly. Our party had the sirloin- cooked perfectly and very tender, the salmon was also cooked perfectly and was delicious. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The brunch buffet is great. really good selection. The food is replaced every few minutes so nothing gets dried out or old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalmontechyentaVIPDined on 7/24/2014The Salmon was terrific. Either as and appetizer or main dish. Chef Matt clearly shows his skills with this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A let downBreadandsaltDined on 7/22/2014Sorry to say, our first experience here may be our last. The place didn't live up to our expectations after hearing a lot of good things about it and seeing its immense popularity. The worst deterrent to being able to enjoy the food, which was quite good, was the decibel level. Everyone in the room had to yell to be heard, making conversation almost impossible. My idea of an enjoyable meal out would be in quite a different environment -- one which is quieter and more intimate. It seems members of the generation that frequents restaurants like Liberty Tavern gravitate toward that sort of reverberant room that amplifies sounds and requires the noise level to continuously rise. Perhaps lunch here would be a better experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/22/2014Great foodie place!! The wait staff is very knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- The noisebagpiperDined on 7/21/2014That was the only issue; the food and service were great.