The Liberty Tavern
3195 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Liberty Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelibertytavern.com/
- Phone: (703) 465-9360
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Liam M. LaCivita
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Liberty Tavern
The Liberty Tavern offers rustic, modern American cuisine in a historic 1907 building that has been beautifully restored and updated. Featuring an inviting street level bar and an intimate dining room on the second level, The Liberty Tavern offers an affordable, diverse wine list, creative specialty cocktails, and a great selection of premium draft and bottled beer. The comfortable, timeless ambiance will be enhanced by warm, hospitable service. Whether you’re joining us for a round of drinks in the bar, a casual midweek supper with your children, or a special evening with friends and family, you’ll be sure to feel at home. Liberty To-Go offers a separate carry-out entrance on Irving Street where wood-fired pizzas, grilled panini, fresh salads and other specialties will be conveniently offered for enjoyment at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Liberty Tavern - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
The Liberty Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (157)fit for foodies (138)great for brunch (105)vibrant bar scene (94)good for groups (90)hot spot (73)great for lunch (56)special occasion (51)great for outdoor dining (39)kid-friendly (29)notable wine list (27)romantic (17)late-night find (13)scenic view (1)Show More
- We're definitely going back!DJsFindingsVIPDined on 11/16/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the menu and quality of the food -- it was difficult choosing what to order because there were so many good choices. We thoroughly enjoyed what we ordered and are looking forward to going back many more times and hope to try other menu offerings (although it will be hard not to revert to our past choices because we enjoyed them so much!). We both had the kale and bean soup, which was total comfort food and really tasty; a big winner by all scores. Then we shared a pizza, which was also terrific - very fresh tasting, great crust but not too doughy. This is clearly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites for years.jwbrettDined on 11/16/2014No matter how many times we go, we always leave saying, "We've got to come back to try..." Terrific wine, great soul food, and inventive entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!KatoDined on 11/16/2014A good find with a good price. It was a brunch buffet for $21 that contains some really tasty items. It's a seasonal menu but for this Fall some of the notable items were: smoked salmon and steak... but the item that took it all was the pumpkin cream bars! O M G! The sister property is located just 2 blocks down where they roast, grind, brew their own coffee, have a notable wine list and is the bakery for those AMAZING cream bars. Will definitely go again with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great once we were seatedsas5785Dined on 11/16/2014I recently went to liberty tavern for their brunch that I had heard so much about. I had made a reservation for two days in advance and got there a couple minutes before our selected time. Once we check in they say it'll be just a minute or two, and that the table we are scheduled for is just finishing up paying. Well that minute or two turned into over thirty minutes of waiting off to the side watching countless other large parties get sat and us becoming frustrated. While waiting the staff could see our frustration and very apologetically gave us mimosas on the house. Finally after about 35 minutes we were seated and the brunch was superb! Once done we find out that our meal was on the house. Although the wait was frustrating and long that is exactly how a good business should handle a situation like that. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch Around!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/16/2014I'm not one for writing reviews but I have no problem singing the praises of Liberty Tavern's brunch. I started going when the restaurant first opened and then moved from DC a few years ago. I just made a visit and had to check out the brunch. It was just as I remembered it and completely delicious! Highly highly recommend this place. The brunch changes all the time so it's not the same every single week. It's farm to table fare and I have never had anything but a wonderful experience. The staff is attentive and friendly. I can't vouch for the regular menu because I always do the brunch buffet. Do yourself a favor and have brunch at the Liberty Tavern this weekend. You will become a regular just Iike I was. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPeteDined on 11/12/2014Loud and energetic atmosphere in the upstairs seated area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful resaurant, great food, great atmosphere,foodandwinecriticDined on 11/12/2014I will pick from the list above about why I love this place, neighborhood gem, very good for special occasions (feel good), it is a hot spot, has very good wine list and it has a vibrant bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereChicadeeDined on 11/11/2014Liberty Tavern is a Clarendon staple. The service is great and they refresh the menu often so going back is never a question. Great place!Special Features:
- Hip lounge area for dining or drinkPRchickDined on 11/11/2014Was very surprised at the updated chic interior for such a historic building. Our party of four had planned on dining upstairs but a large party had taken over the area. We were sat in the lounge area of the bar and it was quite comfortable although a bit noisy. With the large party and a full bar area, our food was a bit slow to arrive, but it was worth the wait! The flat white pizza and the steak salads were delicious and the Apple cobbler and pumpkin tiramisu were divine. I would definitely go back there again and try to happy hour… But be sure to metro since parking is very limited!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food - howeverLearningToEatDined on 11/10/2014Overall I had a very good experience at Liberty Tavern, however, I highly suggest that you make a reservation before showing up. I had an 8:00 PM for 2. Showed up about 10 min early and found out that someone had sat down at my table without letting the hostess know. One of the waitresses asked if we could wait a bit until another table opened up. While I was a bit annoyed, I was plesantly surprised when the same waitress showed up and gave us a glass on wine each on the house, her response "it for your trouble." Let's just say that WON ME OVER! The food was ok. I had the scallops, they were very well cooked but I felt that they were on the salty side. Nothing too overpowering, just a bit saltier than I would have otherwise liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were greatJeanDined on 11/9/2014We took a couple of friends to LT to celebrate the husband's birthday. We have consistently had great meals at LT and our friends loved their meals too. Since our last visit, the service has improved to be top notch. The meals are not complicated concoctions but hearty ingredients brought to their full potential. The following is pasted from the restaurant note. I exceeded the limit. Sofia was a spectacular server. Hope she is training the rest of the staff to be as attentive and gracious as she is. The perfect example of a top tier server. We appreciated her willingness to give samples of beer and wine we were curious about, and tipped accordingly. The review app wouldnt/didn't show the specific recommendations I selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky Find!GoodEaterDined on 11/8/2014I was tasked with picking out the location for brunch a couple of weekends ago. I picked Clarendon as a central location (but I never really go there), and stared Google searching. I came across Liberty Tavern because it had what seemed like real, hearty food (and a buffet!) and was decently priced. What a surprise! The buffet was delicious and well stocked, AND there was a second buffet of all breads! MOTHERLOAD! We ate and ate and ate and talked and ate. It was a good time. I would definitely go back, and so would the rest of the group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing skirt steakunhappyDined on 11/2/2014Unfortunately, my husband was very disappointed in the skirt steak; it was a very poor cut of meat, very grisselySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sunday BrunchRockdocDined on 11/2/2014Liberty Tavern definitely deserves all of the accolades that it receives for its weekend brunch table. I finally had the opportunity to try this place out and wasn't disappointed. They do offer the option of their brunch table or to order a la carte off of the menu. Me and my party all went with the brunch table. They offer a very good selection of food, all of which was well prepared and very tasty. From smoked salmon lox, to scrambled eggs two different ways, to a sliced roast there is something for everyone. Additionally, the warm apple cidar was a nice match for the cold windy day.Special Features:
- Great brunchvmanVIPDined on 11/1/2014Loved Saturday brunch. Space is a little crowded but food is worth it!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceLouJanVIPDined on 10/28/2014Our first time dining at The Liberty Tavern. On our way to the Kennedy Center, this is a very convenient stop off the Clarendon Metro station for a pre-theatre meal. MUST dine upstairs if you are looking for a quieter evening as the downstairs/bar area gets very boisterous! We had a great bowl of tuskan kale and bean soup, the pork shank was good, and loved the branzino (if you can handle whole fish head on). They did a great job of de-boning. Drinks were reasonable and a good pour. Limited but nice wine selection by the glass. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerUrbancicadaDined on 10/26/2014Had a fantastic time having my birthday dinner here with my family. Looking forward to going back again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchbpmurDined on 10/26/2014Liberty Tavern has a great brunch menu and buffet. The space is great for large groups and families, and the service is excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- brunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We made a reservation about a week in advance, arrived a couple of minutes late and were promptly seated. 3 of us had the brunch buffet, which is very good though a bit pricey. The pizza and smoked salmon were outstanding; roast beef, salads and pasta were all good. 4th member of group had hamburger, which he said was good, but also a little pricey. But in that neighborhood, maybe the prices are just average. The noise level downstairs is a typical bar (high decibel level, not suited for conversation); upstairs is much preferred.Special Features:
- Dinner and drinks afterwardsDavidDined on 10/24/2014Went here with my Fiancee and our neighbors...we had a great time. The food was awesome and the service was top notch. At first our reservation was not ready, but the place was very busy. The Bar was crowded, but the bartenders attentive, so the wait was not bad. Dinner itself was upstairs...where the noise abated somewhat and the ambiance changed...I did not find the bar noise downstairs to be too intrusive upstairs and overall made a very good overall experience. Afterwards, we went back downstairs and the bar was hopping.... Soooo... I would recommend it as a great date spot where you would like to have both: A great dinner followed up by some drinks in a vibrant bar (without one intruding on the other).Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday Celebrationmbecu44Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I were visiting Arlington for race weekend and my birthday fell on that Friday. I had read some good reviews about Liberty Tavern and I decided to make reservations since we would be coming from out of town. It was a wonderful dinner and we had great service even though he was sat 4 tables at one time. I would recommend it to anyone and we talked about the experience all weekend.Special Features:
- Good, but not specialPassionateeaterDined on 10/23/2014Menu ok, but lacks diversity; no "wow" dishes that I saw.
- Enjoyed the new fall menuCharlotteDined on 10/22/2014I took a friend from NYC to Liberty Tavern as a bit of a reunion dinner. He had lived in Arlington about 30 years ago and was astounded to see how Clarendon has changed. Liberty was hopping on a Wednesday night with the bar crowded and every table busy at dinner. The new fall menu is great. He enjoyed the charred octopus with orange, fennel and fresno chilies and branzino, while I loved the amped up tavern salad and scallops with sweet potatoes and chanterelles. It was a very lovely dinner and he was amazed that Clarendon is all grown up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, especially for the $$OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014My only complaint is that it's noisy, but what great restaurant with big rooms isn't noisy?! The good is consistently great and the service is great as well.Special Features:
- Good brunchBT50VIPDined on 10/19/2014We had Sunday brunch here with a small group of friends. They have an extensive buffet which they had difficulty keeping stocked (big crowd!). Service was very good considering how crowded the place was. Noisy too.Special Features:
- Date NightTomBDined on 10/18/2014Great for a date on Saturday night. Waiter was attentive (Tony). Food was very good. We had a nice time, stuck around awhile, and never felt rushed. Recommended if you're in the Clarendon area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good time and good foodlytoDined on 10/18/2014After our third dinner at Liberty Tavern, we are looking forward to going again. Food is superb - tasty, clever combinations and good portions. Upstairs is more conducive for a dinner with conversation. Downstairs is very, very "vibrant" and great for the younger crowd who don't mind the crowd and the noise.Special Features:
- Excellent service and good food.AtlantaBabeDined on 10/15/2014Excellent for group of 20. Reasonable prices and attentive service. Close to Arlington National Cemetery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time, great foodctown4foodDined on 10/14/2014Liberty Tavern was a great venue for dinner. The servers were all very friendly and helpful, and the portion sizes were a great value. I had the Pork Shank; it was flavorful, succulent, and fall-off-the-bone tender. The side dishes (cauliflower and Brussels sprouts) were cooked to perfection. The Parmesan-crusted chips included in the bread basket were fantastic. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated Like RoyaltySharonDined on 10/9/2014A dear friend and I dined at Liberty Tavern last week. In addition to the fantastic food, we were treated like royalty! I have significant dietary restrictions, and the owner came to our table and consulted patiently with me to accommodate my needs. Moreover, the chef prepared a creative, sumptuous plate for me so that I did not feel at all slighted by not ordering directly off of the menu. I cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and a tavern atmosphereStormyandMayaDined on 10/9/2014Good tavern menu choices; the portions are very large, so bear that in mind when ordering. Good cocktails and pleasant service. It's a friendly, convivial place as one would expect a tavern to be.Special Features:
- Good choiceSpikeDined on 10/8/2014Service is efficient and friendly; food is well prepared; prices reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- low75Dined on 10/7/2014If there is a table at Liberty Tavern where you can have a conversation at normal voice levels, please post it...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeoldfriendsDined on 10/7/2014We came for the beer selection and also tried pizza, cheese plate, salads and desserts. Pizza was great! Nice crispy charred just the right amount. Salads looked great but were a little gritty. Beers and cheese were the highlight. Desserts were pretty but maybe not as tasty as they looked. Was a busy place for a tuesday night. Felt a bit rushed but at least the service was quick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined Upstairs...MissMaryDined on 10/6/2014This was only the second time that I've eaten at Liberty Tavern. The first time we were seated outside on a gorgeous evening; the second time we dined upstairs, which has a completely different feel. It's classy and refined without being overpriced. The food was good, and I look forward to my future third experience!Special Features:
- Great breakfast tableyaytevasVIPDined on 10/5/2014They have a great spread! Embarrassingly, I get at least 3 plates since my plate is usually full before I make it down one side of the table (one more plate for the dessert). I don't know how, but they manage to make the best red velvet cake ever --- the perfect proportion of icing to moist cake. And the almond macaroons were a dense, chewy treat. Bumped into a couple of friends on my way back from the table, and the servers were totally sweet about letting us join our friends' table. My only critique is that their steak (while cooked-to-perfection-rare) is itself not very well-seasoned. They have lots of sauces to have with the steak, but I prefer that the meat itself have a bit more flavor/salt.Special Features:
- First time for dinnerRuthieVIPDined on 10/4/2014I've been to LT many times for lunch; it's one of my favorites. I'd rate everything 5 stars at lunchtime including the food which is always scrumptious. Dinner was a bit disappointing. First, the bar area is extraordinarily loud so it's difficult to carry on a conversation. We moved upstairs which was less noisy. The service was outstanding as always but the food was disappointing. Our waiter highly recommended the lamb appetizers and the bay scallops entrée--both were good but neither lived up to his review. I wouldn't order either again. For $26 an entree I expect more. My friend's pizza was excellent but when I go out to dinner I want to eat something a little more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service, but NoisyjkriordanDined on 10/4/2014Beyond the 1-5 stars ratings, I'd like to reiterate that the service we received was fabulous! Our server communicated very naturally and seemed to take an interest in us as people. We wanted to order a couple of the types of cheese that Liberty Tavern offers as hors d'oeuvre, but were slow to decide. One person was reluctant to try cheeses not made from cow's milk. The server picked up on this and enthusiastically offered to bring out an additional cow milk cheese for this person on the house. Additionally, the restaurant is very loud. Liberty's attempt at a sit down restaurant and a bar scene in the same space heavily detracts from the sit down environment. Conversation is difficult. The next morning, two of us were a bit hoarse.Special Features:
- EatingoutwellEatingoutwellDined on 10/4/2014This was my second visit to LT, both visits were excellent in terms of food and service. Friday night seemed to be more conducive for less noise and easy conversation, Saturday night was a bit more crowded making conversation more challenging. We still enjoyed our meals, wine selection, pace of appetizers, salads and entrees. The servers consistently give good recommendations of specials or regular menu items. It is certainly worth a visit and we plan to return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too rich, need more healthy optionsfoodlvr4lifeDined on 10/3/2014The food was good, but wish they had more heart healthy options - too rich and salty overall. Service and atmosphere was excellent and we had a great wine and very good server. The parma ham salad needed more arugula and less ham. Lamb ribs tasty, but way too fatty. The soup with beans chicken, kale and parmesan was too salty. Pizza tasted good but too oily. Spaghetti and meatballs was good and the best thing that the 4 of us tried. I'd go back, but encourage chef to flavor more healthfully instead of going overboard on the fat and salt!Special Features: