The Libertine Liquor Bar
38 East Washington St
Indianapolis, IN 46205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Libertine Liquor Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://libertineindy.com/
- Phone: 3176313333x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday & Thursday: 4:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.,
Friday - Saturday: 4:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
MUST BE 21 YEARS + TO ENTER
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Neal Brown ~ Chef de Cuisine Erin Till
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please check our website or call for details on how we can personalize your next business or social event!
- Private Party Contact: Lindy Brown 3176313333x
- Special Events: Late Night Menu begins at 10pm!
- Cross Street: Pennsylvania Street
- Public Transit: Public Transportation stops are conveniently located directly in front of our building on Washington Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available on both Pennsylvania and Washington Streets or in the parking lot directly across the street after 5:00 p.m.
A word from The Libertine Liquor Bar
The Libertine Liquor Bar celebrates the untamed, pioneering American Spirit with a focus on classic cocktails, craft distillers, boutique wines and an ever evolving menu to best accompany them...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Libertine Liquor Bar - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
The Libertine Liquor Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (26)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (15)late-night find (11)special occasion (10)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (6)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- odd cocktails, very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014I must be boring. I like to be able to recognize some of the ingredients in a cocktail. Libertine has pages and pages of cocktails, most of which I can't even guess at a flavor or even whether it's sweet or not. We ate dinner and the food was really very good. I just can't get over the strangeness of the drinks. Maybe we'll try again when we're feeling adventuresome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerfor2Dined on 10/18/2014Great cocktails, all handmade no premixes. Friendly service, eager to answer questions about menu. Unique menus. Dishes were well prepared and delicious. Nice relaxed atmosphere. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just CocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/10/2014OK so the drinks are great, but PLEASE try the food. We had the deviled eggs, a salad and the Mussels. All three outstading and more than enough for two to share. If I lived in Indy ( which I don't) I would be such a regular here. I'm already planning my next trip.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Had a great time dining here. All the staff was fun and energetic, the food was awesome, especially the scotch eggs made from duck. Nice candlelight dinner with a table that actually had room for the food and drinksSpecial Features:
- Food frenzyIndyladyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Let four hungry foodies loose with their menu to guarantee over eating and over ordering. We shared TWO bone marrow appetizers, venison tartare, deviled eggs, trout, mussels, wings...all delicious and prepared with expert creativity. One thing however......, we like conversation with our food and drink, so please turn down the music volume!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014The libertine was great, with 2 drawbacks - 1. there were very few vegetarian items on the menu. I basically ordered everything that a pescetarian could eat (they were out of the trout and I skipped the bok choy salad), ate the mussels which were amazing, and the elote, ie papardelle w/ summer vegetables, which was also very good but maybe a bit too salty. My friends had the bacon tasting and one ate the pulled pork sandwich, the other the burger, and both were really happy with their meals. The second drawback: it is quite loud; the tables are pretty wide so you are sitting a long distance from your friends across the table which means you might be yelling at each other. Good music and a trendy decor that fits the theme of the joint.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We were visiting from out of town and found The Libertine Liquor bar on a list of recommended restaurants. We were very satisfied with our experience - the drinks were excellent and the food was great (particularly the peanut, cashew and bacon butter sandwich, which, while sounding kind of odd, was awesome.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SALT LICKRoseVIPDined on 9/10/2014There was 8 of us from out of town and our local coworkers recommended this restaurant. First, not a great place for a large group, since the restaurant is fairly narrow. We were facing a wall on one side of the table, so very difficult to have a group conversation. Every appetizer and entree we order was complete over salted or over cooked. The highly recommended 4 types of bacon appetizer was completely brunt. I like my bacon crispy, but not brunt black! The bone marrow appetizer was okay, once we scrapped off the thick layer of salt! I think the chef is trying to offer something different from all the steakhouses, Italian and chain restaurants, but need to cut down on salt and cooking time. Will not come back in the future.
- Good food, good drinks, too noisyasianlakeDined on 8/30/2014Been here before for drinks, went for dinner this time. We were about 5 min early for our reservation and got seated right away. However, the server didn't take our drink orders for another 10 min or so. She did apologize and stated that her other customers were chatty with her, so that's why it was taking her so long to get to us. Dinner was very good, I would love to return to try more things on the menu. It took a very long time between courses. Both the server and the person delivering us the food apologized again for the long wait. The noise level was so loud I had to change seats at the table just to be able to talk to my husband. I wish they didn't blare the music so loud, on top of the people noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTiffanyDined on 8/30/2014The servers and bartenders are so knowledgeable about cocktails and made great suggestions. The food was delicious and it was a great escape from the norm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Devour DowntownHeatherDined on 8/28/2014Went here for devour downtown. The food was amazing and the service was spot on. Lovely night out.Special Features:
- Great food, fair pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Great Devour menu. For appetizers, you should try the deviled eggs and a flight of bacon. Specialty cocktails lead to ordering something to get you out of the drink-box. Our server suggested a great glass of wine to accompany our meal. Our server was great, but something happened in the kitchen. It took more than an hour to get our meal. I thought maybe a visit from the manager was warranted, but apparently not.Special Features:
- Give it a missProfeshukDined on 8/22/2014This place was a joke. Horrible food but even worse service. Waited 10 minutes to just get a waitress to our table who then ran off before we could even get our drinks order in. Food was overpriced + underwhelming to say the least. Just swerve this place for dinner. A drink, maybe.
- Wonderful4ColtsFansVIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate at the Libertine before the first Colts game of the season. $ of us Each had something different, and shared a couple of appetizers. All of it was wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:
- Hip and ExcellentnmopDined on 8/13/2014Food is excellent. I highly recommend the deviled eggs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in downtown IndyFromOutOfTownDined on 8/12/2014I had heard many good things about this place from co-workers, so we decided to give it a try. From first glance, the menu may seem strange but don't be alarmed. The food is fantastic. We ordered many things off of the menu (group of 3) and shared everything. The drinks were top notch. Service was great, our waitress was very helpful recommended drinks based on our individual interests. If you are in Indy - you have to try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good...but maybe it was my mood?VegaGirlDined on 8/8/2014I am a foodie. I am adventurous. The Libertine was OK. I did not walk away feeling like it was horrible, but I also did not walk away thinking, "WOW". Maybe that is it. It lacked the "wow" factor for me. We ordered an appetizer of (6) deviled eggs, one (6) order of wings, and shared a dinner of (5) pierogies. Our meal came to over $70!!! I was very tired after a long week of work and maybe my mood affected my overall experience and I truly believe in trying a place at least 2 times before deciding to never go back. However, there are so many new and exciting places in Indy, along with the older tried and true restaurants and so I am not sure I will go back because the Libertine really didn't give me a real reason to.Special Features:
- The following 182 reviews are from the The Libertine Liquor Bar reviews archive.
- Best Drinks in IndyDuckGuyDined on 6/27/2014I have been to The Libertine twice now, and was thoroughly impressed on both occasions. They have the best cocktails in Indianapolis, most of which are original creations by Libertine bartenders. The staff is friendly and extremely knowledgeable - do not hesitate to ask for recommendations from the servers based on your drink preferences. The prices are admittedly high, but in my opinion they are worth it if you're looking for expertly crafted cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulIndyXTopherDined on 6/25/2014One of my faves in downtown Indy. Never fails to impress out-of-town guests who appreciate a more sophisticated palate. The crew was more than gracious to accommodate our party which grew unexpectedly from 5 to 7.Special Features:
- Great deviled eggs+Old Fashions.FoodguruVIPDined on 6/17/2014Excellent deviled eggs and bacon flight. Perfect with old fashions after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just So-SoLMSarbachVIPDined on 6/12/2014I had looked forward to mussels and cocktails all day....for the second visit in a row, Libertine was out of mussels. I am not planning to try for a third time. The rest of the meal was so-so. Cocktails were good. I am disappointed in the food at Libertine as I used to come here and really enjoy myself.
- Delicious food with great cocktailskeheadDined on 6/7/2014I've not had one thing from The Libertine that I didn't enjoy. That goes for food and drinks. I don't know how a sandwich with peanut butter, pickles, and mayo is good, but it is. I happily leave The Libertine craving another.Special Features:
- Re introducing someone to IndyFreezingDined on 6/6/2014Took out a girl on a first date and she is a mother of four and has been out of the scene. Does not have to much time for much but needs to be reminded about the great bars like this that are great for 25-35 year old people about the upcoming moderate bars and locations Indy has to offer. Great service, drinks food and environment.Special Features:
- A Cut AboveLuvlibertineDined on 5/29/2014The Libertine is classy and resides in a well-appointed space that is unique to the Indianapolis bar/restaurant scene. Creative menu coupled with great service and handsome decor. Cocktail menu is exceptional and the food was a culinary delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on declinetoesandtastebudsDined on 5/24/2014My cocktail was mediocre at best and partner's "Gathering Storm" tasted like a concoction that had been mixed from the unfinished drinks left at the bar. They were out of the Hummingbird Cake so they brought us Goat's Milk Empanadas, reminded me of the state fair - not in a good way and my partner decided it would be what a deep fried gas station sugar cream pie would taste like, served with "seasonal goodies" that turned to be some distinguishable over sweet chutney. I could think of several ways that these could have been made better, but better than that I would just take them off the menu. We asked for our bill, she came back about 10 minutes later asking if I would like another drink... had to remind her to get our bill.
- Great find!CarolVIPDined on 5/23/2014Read up on Libertine before our first visit to Indianapolis and it sounded great. The four of us each had a different drink and shared a bunch of small plates and could not have had more fun. The drinks were creative as was the food. And our waitress was great. Very attentive. We recommended to someone at the hotel we were staying at.Special Features:
- Excellent cocktails. Good foodFoodguruVIPDined on 5/21/2014Great choice for cocktails and apps. Mussels are a good bet. Cheese plate is excellent.
- Hummingbird cake capperNancy1313Dined on 5/16/2014Friday night, I met a girlfriend for drinks and dinner at Libertine. The dark lighting and fun décor (a tree coming out of the back wall of the restaurant, for example) set the stage for a different sort of evening. Our server was upbeat and knowledgeable as was the fellow who kept our water glasses full and cleared our many plates. The noise level was above "energetic' at times, but it was Friday night! The appetizers were fabulous: deviled eggs beyond compare and the flight of bacon with three sauces. DEE-lish! The sable with lentils just melted in our mouths and the mussels were perfect for nibbling and talking. The evening was capped by a shared piece of hummingbird cake that lived up to its reputation for being a slice of heaven!Special Features:
- YumFoodieForLifeDined on 5/15/2014A great place to go for delicious cocktails and interesting food. My favorite is the Pimm's cup (not on their menu anymore, but they'll still make it). We like the deviled eggs, bacon flight, and the entrees we've tried have all been tasty! A bit on the pricier side, so this is an every now and then destination for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Great food, great drinks, great service. Our waitress provided some delicious recommendations. The cocktail menu has a great variety of creative libations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals in Indy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2014Libertine is delicious!!! Great cocktails! Chicken wings are THE best, sauce and blue cheese-amazing! Bacon flight!! Wowsers!! Great mussels and hummingbird cake.Special Features:
- Strange but tastygoodstuff4uDined on 4/12/2014The food was of a different ilk With tasty little toppings. Allowing one the sense of silk As nuts and chips went hopping. Unusual to say the least The night was something rare. The portions not too plentiful The prices likely fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Libertine! It's theSarahDined on 4/1/2014I love Libertine! It's the closest thing to a speak-easy that I've found in Indy. Great drinks and great scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJHessDined on 3/29/2014I brought friends here who were from out of town. They loved it! Small batch liquors and unique and flavorful small plate selections! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great cuisineChrisDined on 3/22/2014We had tremendous service, including a free first round of cocktails because they "took too long" to get our evening started. The food is great and pairs nicely with the drinks which are absolutely top-notch. A must-see for anyone who wants a quality bar and speak-easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hand-Crafted CocktailsSalvadorDaliDined on 3/21/2014Well-designed interior, long bar, a couple standing tables near the front window, and a dozen or so 4 tops. This bar specializes in hand-crafted cocktails and foodie culture. Great alternative to the local sports bars. Pricier, but worth it for the charm. I recommend reservations if you don't want to end up standing around, and the noise level can get quite high. Great bartenders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/21/2014My husband an I LOVE the Libertine. We usually go when we have something special to celebrate and the food and staff never disappoint. Bacon flight and deviled eggs are amazing and we tried the meatloaf and pierogis which were great as well. We always have a great time there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Drinks Menu, Very LoudRhetoricaDined on 3/20/2014Seven friends and I very much enjoyed cocktails, dinner, and dessert (empanadas). However, seven is really too large a party for comfortable conversation at Libertine. Although the staff was accommodating, the set up just wasn't conducive for a larger group full of people who looked forward to talking (as opposed to shouting) at each other. Still, we had a good time, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Libertine to others for smaller, differently social get togethers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitJasperDined on 3/20/2014This was our first visit to The Libertine Bar and we really enjoyed our dinner. The bar was crowded and noisy but we could still talk. The cocktail and food menu are both unusual and quite diverse.. I would highly recommend being adventurous and ordering a cocktail you've never tried before. We'll be back!Special Features:
- great drinks and foodas12Dined on 3/15/2014However My friend has a gluten intolerance and her dinner selections were somewhat limited. What she could eat she thought was great. Very delish drinks and food though!Special Features: