The Lexington Restaurant
1096 Grand Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Lexington Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelexongrand.com/
- Phone: 6512225878
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dan Calloway
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Lexington has hosted thousands of family and corporate functions since opening its doors in 1935. The Williamsburg Room is considered by many one of the finest private dining rooms in Minnesota. An elegant, old world atmosphere is created by the sophisticated use of period light fixtures and handcrafted cherry woodwork and beams.
The second of the Lexington's signature serpentine bars is accompanied by a grand piano on the south side of the Williamsburg Room while a picturesque fireplace commands attention in the center of the space. Custom stained glass windows on the north end put the finishing touches on this classic venue.
Beautiful, solid wood room dividers can create an intimate space for 10 or a cozy setting for 40. When fully opened, the entire room can seat up to 110 people complete with private bar and food service. For cocktail parties with high-top tables, the Williamsburg Room can accommodate up to 175 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Hickey - Jana Henry 6512225878
- Special Events: Member of the Twin Cities Bridal Association.
A word from The Lexington Restaurant
Established in 1935, The Lexington is the unofficial clubhouse for generations of St. Paul residents and visitors alike. Beautiful dining rooms with crystal chandeliers, white linens and warm wood create an intimate dining experience. The mahogany bar is perfect for a quick bite or more casual dinner. The Lexington welcomes you to join them to celebrate any and all occasions. When making Web reservations, please indicate whether you desire Bar or Dining Room seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Lexington Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Don't waste your time or money....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2013The outside of the building is beautiful the inside is falling apart. The food was horrible. Our steaks weren't done right and the food was cold they also don't know how to use seasoning. My salad had no flavor I thought they forgot to pit the dressing on but I knew that wasn't the case because the lettuce was soggy and the croutons were stale. I will never be back.
- mediocre at bestkesi007Dined on 5/22/2013Our server just returned from vacation apparently. She was incredibly slow and lax. Had to wait at least 10 minutes to order drinks and everything else was slow as well. She had little knowledge regarding the wine list, and we had to go to the bar to obtain a second glass of wine. Food was good; ambiance nice. That's about it. Nothing memorable except for the low rate service.
- Thanks for a great evening!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2013We were at The Lexington celebrating our Anniversary. The server was very friendly and helpful with food and wine suggestions. While I had to choose another entree', I was very happy with my second choice. My wife loved her fish entree'. The overall ambiance of the restaurant was very nice. We arrived early enough so we did not have to deal with alot of extra noise from the bar. Our waitress surprised us with a dessert to help celebrate our Anniversary. Thanks again for a memorable evening. We will be back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After checking multiple placesletterwriterDined on 5/17/2013After checking multiple places close to Como to dine on a Friday evening, I found "The Lexington" on Grand. I had passed it several times, wondering what it would be like to have a dinner in such an elegant looking building. Little did I know it was the perfect place to go before Prom. The food, especially the seafood linguine, was affordable, unique, and excellent, and everyone treated us with such decorum that we had no choice but to feel quite honored. Thanks so much for such lovely service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicejendwyerDined on 5/17/2013The Lexington has a wonderful atmosphere and the staff make you feel important. We had a large group of varied ages. The wait staff and the host were kind, patient and very efficient. The food was excellent. The setting very old world classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic old restaurantLdlouDined on 5/12/2013The Lexington is kind of an old fancy special occasion type of restaurant, which makes it different from a lot of other restaurants out there. I wasn't disappointed in the food, but I had low expectations. I went most recently on Mother's Day, when it was very crowded and they didn't have the staff to handle the crowd-- it took them 15 minutes for me just to have someone check me in for my reservation when I had gotten there right on time. I doubt they have this problem at other times. Our server at the table was quite pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- Total fail.ToddVIPDined on 5/12/2013Have lived near here for years. Online menu looked great - online. But got there & learned they now only do buffet brunch on Sunday. No menu service. Best menu items not available. (No omelettes, no pancakes.) Buffet hugely overpriced. Food was either bland or awful. After leaving here, we went elsewhere for lunch. Pro tip: don't store desserts & shrimp in the same fridge. Ruins your desserts!
- We ordered prime rib and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/11/2013We ordered prime rib and the meat had no seasoning or taste. One of us sent theirs back and one had a few bites. When the gentleman came to clear out plates there was no offer to box the one that was paid for.
- It's disappointing that theyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013It's disappointing that they don't offer baked potatoes with such fine steaks! Also, the water refills were very slow.Special Features:
- Updated menu retro feelPauliteDined on 5/11/2013I liked the selections on the menu, different from memories of past lunches. Keeping the decor essentially the same is very smart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nostalgiaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2013the decor and menu are a nostalgia treat. wait staff accommodating for older people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what you pay for.6bearDined on 5/4/2013The main course was good but truffle fries were just fries. I get way better fries at Bull Dogs in St. Paul. When you are paying that much for something it should be better than McDolands. Service for us was slow. I watched others around us get faster service. I am very glad that my boyfriend and I tried it. But we will not be back. For what we paid there are other places we would rather go to.
- The food was not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2013The food was not up to par for the price of this meal Very disappointing and will probably be the last time we eat at this establishment
- Bad servicenotahappy1Dined on 5/2/2013Looked at menu on internet, saw you had prime rib on Thursday. Wife ordered Bistro Filet 10 oz. $26.00 I ordered Prime Rib , after about 15 minutes waitress came to inform me they did not serve Prime Rib on Thursdays. Changed order to Filet 8oz. $39.00. Both steaks were very good. Check came in the amount of $78.00 the price of 2 8oz filets instead of $65.00 for what we had ordered.
- Could not have improved onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2013Could not have improved on any level. Everyone raved about the food, we were able to have a nice conversation, and the service was great. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013Unfortunately, for the first time in 25 years, I had a disappointing experience at the Lex. It was busy and the staff seem overwhelmed. The beer taps were not working and many entree selections were not available. We had to ask for enough menus for our party, were never given a beverage menu and finally had to just get up and get one. The server brought the wrong beer when bottled beer was ordered. Some of the appetizers seem to be prepared differently than I remembered as did the salads. I am chalking it up to a bad night and I still recommend the Lex. I hope this is not a trend.Special Features:
- Fault was with open table requestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013I don't know whether to fault the Lexington or Open Table because I booked my reservation here. I specifically requested a quiet table, away from wait staff stations, doors, etc. My party was placed at the WORST possible table for those requests. We were the first table by the front door, the hostess stand and the entrance way into the restaurant. Although our waitress and the manager on duty were solicitous and tried to help our experience, the fault was with the hostess, who could have so very simply solved the issue. When I asked her to be moved, she was greatly puzzled and could not figure out even a remote possibility of seating us at another table. There were several tables for two that were never used during our visit.
- DissatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Seven people had four different meals and not one was good. Waited a long time for dessert, one was so tough (Chocolate Wellington) you could hardly cut it. Ordered MGD beer, got Coor Lite Tap Beer, $6.00. Overall not a good experience, will not go back. This was a birthday celebration and in the past has been a favorite place to go. Will not recommend it to anyone!
- This restaurant has greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2013This restaurant has great ambiance and history, but the food was not very good. Both our fish, which was a daily special, and the coconut shrimp had by our children, were overcooked. The breading on the shrimp was thick, hard , and tasteless. The cauliflower and smoked gouda puree with our wahoo fish dish was also tasteless. The caesar salads were just okay. The only bright spot were the desserts, which were very good, especially the carrot cake. I'm sure this restaurant has been very good in the past since it is a neighborhood institution and has had good ratings, but its not worth going to now!
- Had a great time & good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Had a great time & good food. My group was very happy with everything. The service was very good!!Love the Jazz room, so beautiful, love the light music in the background.Special Features:
- New chairs needed. Too noisy. ParOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013New chairs needed. Too noisy. Parking lot badly in need of repair
- I feel that if you can motOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013I feel that if you can mot say good about something don't say any thing at all.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013My wife and I went to the Lexington for Brunch on Easter. We were seated promptly and the service was excellent & very attentive. The brunch offered a wide array of items: salads, fruit, excellent pastries, egg dishes (with sausage or bacon), and the usual dinner items (ham, pork, beef, mashed potatoes/gravy, and vegetable). The food was quite good. This is a great place to go for a special occasion, with good, solid food and service to match. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013I enjoy the Lex but most places are too noisy for me. I have a hearing aid that picks up background noise and it gets difficult to talk sometimes. My friend who has normal hearing, however, had the same problem. It gets too crowded. I was disappointed with my entree--beef stroganoff. I had asked for no cream in it, but maybe it was for that reason it was disappointing. It seemed heavy with too much meat,perhaps. Also, I ordered a side vegetable because none (except onions and mushrooms in the dish) came with it. I'm not sure what it needs but I make much better stroganoff than that. And entrees should always come with vegetables. It's more balanced and needed for health.
- Lovely dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013Lovely dining experience:good food, good service, reasonable prices, and a warm, quiet atmosphere for good conversation.Special Features:
- I made reservations, by computer,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013I made reservations, by computer, for a 6:00 p.m. dinner for my wife, daughter and myself. It was my wife's birthday and I noted that on the reservation form. I assumed we would be seated in the main dining room. When we arrived we were seated in the pub section. There appeared to be many tables available in the main dining room and I requested that we be seated there, as the evening was meant to be special (the birthday. The request was curtly denied. We decided to dine in the pub, anyway. "Business casual" was the suggested dress code. The person who seated us was dressed in brushed denim jeans. The table next to us looked like the cast from, "Pirates of the Caribbean". "Business casual" needs to be more clearly defined. We reminded our w
- Nice to get back to the LexSchnauzerVIPDined on 3/23/2013Nice to get back to the Lex after a long hiaitus. Actually met my wife there when we were both working in the kitchen over 30 years ago. Many things have changed. Food was good, but nothing to write home about. The Lexington Salad is NOT the same salad. Several newer items (chicken pot pie) looked outstanding, but still missed many of the old favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent time. Food great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2013Excellent time. Food great! Flowers on table that I ordered when arrived. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Maybe just a bad night?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2013I've eaten at The Lex many, many times over the years and this was perhaps one of my worst experiences. Though the service was it's usual, professional caliber, I found myself wishing that we would have decided to go to Outback instead. My companion had a steak, which was excellent, but everything else was simply not up to the over all quality that I had come to expect from the Lex. In fact, had my companion not insisted I keep my mouth shut, I would have sent everything else back. As a St. Paul native who has previously eaten exceptional meals at the Lex, I'm sure that I will give it another chance. Had this been my first visit however, it probably would have been my last.
- This was the second time eatingPennieDined on 3/14/2013This was the second time eating at The Lexington, both times were excelent. I will be back!Special Features:
- The Lex is always an easyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2013The Lex is always an easy place to go for dinner with family and friends. The bar is a bit noisy, but is a more casual atmosphere for dinner and lively conversations. The food, as always, was very good.Special Features:
- We had a very nice meal. DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2013We had a very nice meal. Dining room was nearly empty, but still it was loud in there. we ordered dessert and it took a long time for the coffee.
- Bad foodMarilynDined on 3/3/2013The food was very poor. I had the turkey dinner. The dressing was nothing but wet bread. No flavor at all. My husbands steak was very chewy. Our waiter was friendly but forgot to put in our food order so we waited over 1/2 hour for our food. We will not return.Special Features:
- It was great. We were celebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013It was great. We were celebrating my birthday. I would be back again.Special Features:
- Just the right amount of service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013Just the right amount of service. They were there when we needed them, but not obtrusive. Great for a special birthday dinner.Special Features:
- We had an excellent time.nurseyDined on 3/1/2013We had an excellent time. My fish was great, but my partner said her fish was "fishy." We had the $30 special for Rest. Week it was a great choice. Our waitress was fab!!Special Features:
- How to destroy an institutionDlgoldieVIPDined on 3/1/2013The Lexington is a great St Paul institution but whoever is running the kitchen is destroying it. I was there for lunch and my companion and I ordered a salad to split, plus soup. We asked that the salad be split for us. It wasn't. We got the wrong soup. Instead of a chowder, we got an odd, under flavored chicken soup that required several spoonfuls to determine it wasn't chowder. The chowder, when it came, was so salty it was in edible. I love the Lexington. I have been going there all my life, and have some important memories associated with it. But the current ownership/management will drive away any remaining business and we will see it close. There are too many better alternatives available.
- Went for restaurant week.wvujenny72VIPDined on 3/1/2013Went for restaurant week. Nice sampling of their lunch menu. Delicious and filling.Special Features:
- I was very impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013I was very impressed with the service! The food was excellent. We had three courses and the waitstaff had each course to us in perfect timing. The waitress came just when needed, without hovering. Everything was excellent.Special Features:
- We were a party of three. WalleyebruceDined on 2/28/2013We were a party of three. Walleye was not done and asparagus was unedible Turkey dinner, turkey was dry, dressing tasted like stovetop Sea Bass was like a frozen dinner from Byerlys