The Leopard at des Artistes
1 West 67th St.
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
The Leopard at des Artistes
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theleopardnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127878767
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm,
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vito Gnazzo
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Leopard Catering Department is highly personalized, and offer a full fine dining off-site service for business and private customers, many Italian establishments as well as American ones.
- Private Party Facilities: The Leopard event department caters to many, Italian and American, cultural and governmental institutions, art galleries, fashion establishments, as well as private patrons.
- Private Party Contact: Gianfranco Sorrentino 8886330963
A word from The Leopard at des Artistes
Located in the New York landmarked Hotel Des Artistes, and surrounded by the astonishing 1920s murals by Howard Chandler Christy, THE LEOPARD at des Artistes finds its roots in the area once known as “The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies” (mid 1800s) and in the culinary traditions of the regions of Campania, Basilicata, Calabria, Apulia, Sardinia, and of course Sicily, reaching a balance between dishes based on rural elements, such as pasta, vegetables, cheese, and seafood ingredients from the Costiera.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Leopard at des Artistes reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (114)special occasion (114)neighborhood gem (93)fit for foodies (89)notable wine list (36)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (25)good for groups (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ihatenicknamesVIPDined on 9/14/2014This is an exceptional restaurant and a great dining experience. This is truly FINE dining. I love the Sunday evening BYOB option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch experience!foodiefriendDined on 9/14/2014We had a lovely brunch at the Leopard, the setting was beautiful and the food was simply amazing. Plenty of options on the menu to satisfy all in our party offering a delicate mix of brunch essentials and new dishes to try. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- rcacciatoVIPDined on 9/13/2014It was a lovely spot and wonderful meal to celebrate our 28th anniversary. We hadn't been since the Café des Artistes closed and were very pleased with our evening. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slap dash service & overpricedJinnycDined on 9/13/2014If you want to go to see the murals, stick to the pasta and lower your expectationsSpecial Features:
- Stuffy but deliciousRichVIPDined on 9/12/2014Understand that you're near Central Park and dress appropriately. The atmosphere is anything but casual and relaxed. Yet it is cozy and romantic, and a lovely space covered in tasteful murals. The service is excellent. The food isn't daring, but it's quite modern and absolutely delicious. Everything was cooked to perfection with indulgent flavor and texture. They save the creativity for dessert, which is also excellent. This is a perfect spot for a romantic meal before or after a show at Lincoln Center.Special Features:
- Delightful dining!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 9/10/2014For a romantic tete-a-tete, this restaurant is a must! Sublime pasta, every dish cooked to perfection and out-of-this-world desserts!! Highly recommended for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/9/2014very disappointed, was expecting the likes of café de artiste
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2014Including its prior incarnation, i have been visiting the Leopard for 35 years and it never fails to deliver a pleasant dining experience. Very good food, attentive service, good recommendation on the wine to accompany dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from all points of viewFabioVIPDined on 9/6/2014I am Italian and I am very picky about Italian food. This is definitely one of the best Italian restaurants in the city. Ambience is nice and service flawless. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCdinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014We shared an order of grilled octopus w/ potato salad as a starter - the octopus was extremely tender - a wonderful dish! My wife had Colorado lamb chops as her entrée, which was fabulous. I had the veal loin, which was just average (the veal was flattened ala veal scallopini).Special Features:
- Host at door was unfriendly.GunkieDined on 8/30/2014Very dissatisfied with this experience. We have eaten here a number of times. We were treated badly this time. Our prior request for our favorite table was ignored. The waiter was not accommodating regarding allergies and substitutions. We will not return.
- Dinner was fabulous!DeniseDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is beautiful, Service fabulous and the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meet and greet .lv2eatDined on 8/18/2014My 99 yrs guess arrived 30 mins before opening . Staff was in the middle of setting up and the gladly showed her a comfortable seat . Upon my arrival we were given a lovely corner table as I requested . Our Captain was warm and very funny friendly . We stayed for 3 hours and was not rushed . Food well prepared and served on time . All in all we had an excellent evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant DiningFineDiner3Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed Leopard at des Artistes. We received very good service and the food was great. We each had the veal marsala as an entre and I had the lentil soup (served piping hot!) We were also given two appetizer tastings that were compliments of the house. The desert was delicious. I had the berries in "soup." and my husband had the cake and coffee ice cream. The only thing we were surprised at was when the waiter didn't refill our wine glasses in a timely manner. He'd kept the bottle toward the back in an ice bucket so it wasn't near us. The wall decor filled with wonderful paintings was quite lovely. I would definitely go back with my girl friends for lunch as well. It reminded me of the Carlyle Room..very elegant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sureEsq54VIPDined on 8/15/2014I went in thinking that I would have a great meal. From all I heard the food was very good. Perhaps it was because I ordered the Restaurant Week meal, or perhaps it was because it was just two women dining, but the service was rushed the food was ok. I don't think I would rush back. There are many other great restaurants in the area.
- C'est tres bien!diananycDined on 8/15/2014Have dined at what was the Café des Artistes, so I was impressed with the renovation. It has opened up the space, added light so you can view those magnificent murals. Our dining experience was made more enjoyable due to our wait staff, Adrian. He was attentive and quite knowledgeable re: food preparation, ingredients and the wine list. The veal special was excellent as were the desserts. We'll be back.Special Features:
- yumyumVIPDined on 8/14/2014Too noisy - was Restaurant Week for a 7 pm reservation--couldn't have a conversation.Special Features:
- Old world New YorkCB12Dined on 8/14/2014The Leopard is a throwback to an old New York "fine" dining experience: pretty good food in a special room--those incredible murals!--with strangely lugubrious service. Authentic Sicilian food was very good, but not really modern in any sense. Wait service was amateurish, but friendly--a little too familiar at times. We went for Restaurant Week dinner and it was a good value. Excellent eggplant/artichoke parmigiana appetizer, good stuffed calamari appetizer. Good branzino and good veal scaloppini mains. Wine offerings by the glass were good Italians, but not Sicilian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tasty FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/13/2014Having not been to the restaurant in many years, I have now been there twice within the past four weeks. The food is very good, as is the ambience. Last night, I had a corner table that faced one of the Chandler murals - so romantic and pretty. It's not cheap but a comfortable venue for a good dinner in pleasant surroundings. Do not sit by the bar, you will not be able to hear yourself think.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week findPrincessDined on 8/13/2014The food was perfect, especially for a Restaurant Week menu, which sometimes can be inconsistent or skimpy in other places. Dreamy desserts. Addition of (not great) amuses-bouches and cookies. The noise level is bad. And we were seated at the worst table in the place (next to the entrance to kitchen) Even tho we arrived on the dot and had reserved FIVE weeks ahead, and there was another table free (marginally better). I knew they had kept the famous murals from original Cafe des Artistes but otherwise renovated, and indeed they've lost the intimate charm of the place..I guess to put in enough tables to survive. But the food is better than ever, perhaps the best in my neighborhood, unless I change my mind about Picholine or Ouest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of NY historyElisendaVIPDined on 8/12/2014Went with friends during Restaurant Week and very much enjoyed the menu items, the stuffed calamari, branzino and veal piccata were all delicious as were the creme brulee and fruit soup for dessert. The service was pleasant and attentive, our server recommended an excellent bottle of Italian white wine that went well with the food. It was a bit noisy as the restaurant was full. Having known and loved the old Cafe des Artistes I am glad the new decor has preserved the historic ambiance and the mural paintings.Special Features:
- After 25 yearsJaderoUnoDined on 8/11/2014Returning to the restaurant at Des Artistes for our 25th Anniversary was very enjoyable, totally befitting the occasion. The Leopard was packed on a Monday night in the summer, which surprised me a bit, but not once we had been seated. We happened to hit during Restaurant Week, so that both the choice and value in our dinners was superb. The service was outstanding and courteous, way outpacing the competition. Every course was delicious and there was no one rushing to take the plates before we were actually ready. I don't think we will be waiting so long to return, for there is always a reason to treat oneself to a marvelous dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining on the Upper West SidediniVIPDined on 8/11/2014If you want a romantic setting, fine food and excellent service, The Leopard is the place to be. Everything here bespeaks a quiet formality without the stuffiness. The old murals from Cafe des Artistes still hold sway, and the ambiance transports you across the sea. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyEBG1VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great service and beautiful atmosphere with fabulous food ...what more could you want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy we came...pelicanDined on 8/9/2014We had our 15th anniversary dinner here and it was wonderful. We made the reservation last minute and we were even able to take advantage of Restaurant Week. We frequent the city and have been to many restaurants, and must say we will be back here. Our server, was delightful...professional yet friendly. I forgot her name, blonde with an accent (sorry)......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY classicFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014One of the few old NY restaurants still around. Have not been in the space since Cafe Des Artistes, the murals and atmosphere still very romantic. Food is solid expensive Italian. Nothing new wave about the food, but solid classic and left feeling like we had stepped back in time in civilized dining. Service was excellent and good wine list of Italian wines at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Everything was deliciousJimDandyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Three of us went for restaurant week, and we were all thrilled with our meal. And the service was also impeccable. Add to that a magnificent ambience, and you have a memorable meal all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSuenanVIPDined on 8/7/2014Wonderful experience. Service was efficient but not stifling. Food choices were varied. Each meal was excellent.Special Features:
- Still a wonderful venue!travelannVIPDined on 8/6/2014This beautiful restaurant provided a memorable dining experience. Our group of 6 was seated in a cozy corner away from the vibrant crowd. Food and service were excellent, and the Restaurant Week menu was a great choice even though regular menu pricing is reasonable for the area. And the bar drinks were extremely well made and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant Month DinnermanhattaniteDined on 8/5/2014We picked The Leopard at des Artistes from among many Restaurant Month alternatives and were delighted with every aspect of the meal. The prix fixe choices were varied and tempting - we chose artichokes, veal picatta and a chocolate cake - and each was excellent. The service was perfect and the sommelier suggested a good and reasonably priced wine. The ambience was quiet and unrushed, even though the restaurant was full. Having dined often a the old Cafe des Artistes, we were glad to see that The Leopard is just as wonderful. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningstanDined on 8/4/2014What a nice meal we had during Restaurant Week Summer 2014. The artichoke, mozzarella, tomato appetizer was an unexpected treat -- we thought it was going to be that rather tired cold app, but instead it was a hot casserole. The Snapper was excellent, but the veal was not very tender. The best surprise was the dessert -- not a deconstruction in sight. A creme brulee which was just about right and a slice of chocolate cake with ice cream that was sweet and rich. Good JobI would recommend this to a friend.
- Sal77Dined on 8/4/2014The branzino on the Restaurant Week offerings was very good, veal not so. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- Style is a differenceDutchGourmandDined on 8/3/2014A personal welcome and a nice table are always a great start. The classic Italian dishes were well prepared and very tasteful. The staf was very professional a attentive. No flashy interior, although the murals are quite striking. Apparently these qualifications attract a nice clientele. I think this will be one of my new favorite restaurants in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014decent, so-so menu for restaurant week, nothing 'wow' about the experience, the food or the service. we were shown a table by the register service station with servers hanging over us the entire meal, not pleasant.
- ExcellentFoodloverDined on 8/1/2014Went to this restaurant for dinner to taste the Restaurant Week menu, the food is excellent with high quality and very delicious. It is definitely worthy price. Recommending this restaurant.Special Features:
- DisappoinitngmisstheclassicsVIPDined on 8/1/2014First visit since it changed from Cafe des Artistes. Asked for quiet table -- originally taken to a front (noisy) table. On request moved to another - near bat; not quire as noisy, but not quiet. Restaurant week choices limited and "strange" Did not like most offers even on regular menu. Most had a food item or flavor I do not like or prefer not to eat. Food otherwise O.K. but not outstanding. Did not like as Cafe des Artistes and no better now - don't know if under same management or chef. See no reason to return or recommend. The three others felt pretty much the same about the food.
- Leopard for dinnerPetespicksDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant has wonderful history. It was great to be back. Soooo many wonderful memories!Special Features:
- My favorite of all time.jennetteDined on 7/31/2014I found out about this place because my nickname was Leopard. And I fell in love! You can come here 30 minutes earlier and just walk around the central park area (or just sit...) with your loved ones! Food is amazing. AMAZING! Service is great. I was never disappointed or unsatisfied here. This is my fav restaurant of all time.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014I was very pleased with my artichoke based appetizer and delicate branzino; the wine recommendation was superb and the effort to accommodate the seating arrangement to make more space was a great gesture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014The food was delicious and the service was incredible, from the maître d, to the waiter, to the bus boys and food runner. It was a very enjoyable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.