6430 Farmington Rd
West Bloomfield, MI 48322Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thelark.com/
- Phone: 2486614466x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm.(Special Themed Dinners on Select Mondays)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, French
- Executive Chef: John Somerville
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Michigan's 1 choice for corporate entertaining, The Lark can comfortably host dinners and lunches for up to 50 people, with additional seating for 10 in its cafe area. Many table set-ups are available and menus are customized to your requirements. Chef demonstrations or wine discussions are also available. Lunches range from $45 to $80 per person (plus drinks, tax and gratuity) and dinner from $80-$120. Please inquire about our special dinner pricing of $125 or less, fully inclusive of drinks tax and gratuity.
The Lark is a perfect backdrop for romance. This sophisticated venue is a popular choice for second weddings or small, intimate gatherings. Menus are designed around a couple's special wishes and may include a four to seven course dining experience enhanced by the wines of The Lark's legendary reserves. Guests fall in love with the award-winning cuisine at The Lark, one of the Midwest's most renowned and celebrated restaurants.
- Private Party Contact: Cathy Mullings 2486614466x
- Entertainment: On special Theme Dinners entertainment is provided to go along with the festivities.
A word from The Lark
The overall theme is a sophisticated European-style country inn including tuxedo-ed waitpeople, walled garden viewed through the dining room windows, fountain, outdoor tables in season, outdoor grill, grape trellis, and garden grown herbs, vegetables and fruit. The decor is that of an elegant southern European Country Inn with terracotta walls adorned with Portuguese tile murals and elaborate tiled restrooms. Cuisine is eclectic and distinctive with French cooking techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Lark - Best Restaurants in West Bloomfield ›
The Lark reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)romantic (15)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (10)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- PeterDined on 8/15/2014I was there for a special occasion but have to say I expected better food. Service was all aright but nothing of spectacular, which I expected to be, based on a friend recommendation and the price I paid. Prior to be in Lark, I was in Louis the XV in Monaco and was comparing the Lark to that experience and treatment I had there. Maybe it is unfair comparison. Over all, good atmosphere and good service but the staff would need some consultative education how to make the experience in the Lark spectacular. I would recommend the place despite of my thoughts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I were very impressed with the quiet romantic atmosphere. We sat near windows that looked out on a charming garden. The food was excellent and the ability to have small or large portions of the appetisers and desserts and as many as you wanted was fabulous. The chef came out to talk to us when I raved about the creamy soup and my lamb was mouthwatering. My husband had duck, which he refused to share with me because it was sooo good. We definitly plan to return. Not inexpensive but worth every penny for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegancemimosamommaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Seated by the owner in the booth of honor our evening was off to a great start . We toasted our anniversary with champagne . On cue our server arrived with the hot/cold appetizer cart ; we selected one of everything . We decided on Chardonnay and Malbec to accompany rest of the dining experience . We then moved on to the next course: asparagus soup and the seafood appetizer were perfect . While we savored a raspberry sorbet we pondered our main course selections. We chose a filet and the sea bass For dessert diamond pecan bars and a cheesecake slice topped our experience We sat back with our cappuccino and sighed !Special Features:
- Gourmet dinning experienceDineamicsDined on 7/19/2014Right from the greeting at the door from Mrs. Lark to the ambiance, service, food choices and quality of food it was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had!! I had the signature rack of lamb and my girlfriend had the scallops. Both were to die for. The choices and taste of the cold appetizers right through to my espresso to end the evening was memorable. We'll definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2selections of wines weren'tOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Over priced mediocre food outside tables neglected 2wine selection weren't available service was scarce
- Exceptional!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2014Friendly exceptional wait-staff, attentive but not intrusive. the food was delicious, wine list extensive and award winning! We had our sons rehearsal dinner here in June and guests commented that not only was the food exceptional and the wait-staff excellent. They also said it was one of the most fun rehearsal dinners they have ever experienced because of a Lark tradition. If you wanted to clink your glasses to have the bride a groom kiss you had to sing them a song with the word "love" in it. By the end of the evening everyone wanted to sing a funny or touching song, even those like me who can not sing. The staff even put together a performance for the bride and groom! To cap off the evening they served the most delicious desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Anniverary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014My wife and I had a wonderful experience dining at The Lark! The food was superb! The setting was intimate! The service was attentive and fast! We would certainly recommend this restaurant for any couple, that's seeking a nice restaurant. 5 StarrsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousDisappointedDined on 6/14/2014Haughty waitstaff, aged clientele, funeral home flower smell, over priced food, too many courses -- puleeze!Special Features:
- JohnDined on 5/16/2014Two steaks were "cool" when they arrived at the table. One had to be sent back for re-heating.Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the The Lark reviews archive.
- The very best in DetroitjwfoodieDined on 5/2/2014For quality, service, and a staff that seems to be truly happy that you chose to dine with them, this is the best French cooking in Detroit. Nothing else is close. Add the charm of Mr. Lark visiting with you as you enjoy your appetizers - it is a charming evening, and a night when the table is yours all evening. Leave room for the Austrian soufflé at the end, although there is no way to eat all of it - it's the best $15 you ever spend on a dessert. It' not cheap, but when you realize what you just ate and the experience - it really is a value for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris DinnerDHWestBloomVIPDined on 4/30/2014And here again, the team at the Lark managed to outperform any previous experience we had elsewhere and prepare an extraordinary dinner event that we'll not forget for many years to come. Every course prepared with the utmost attention to details and paired with carefully selected glass of wine to complete the delight. No point in mentioning any particular dish as they were all outstanding. The Ch. Barde Haut '97 was one of the best Bordeaux I've ever tasted and was surprisingly offered as part of the optional wine bouquet with no additional charge. Friendly staff, excellent service, romantic atmosphere , amazing food - it doesn't get any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply OUTSTANDINGPeteVIPDined on 4/25/2014Made reservations for our Anniversary. Noted that it was a special event in the reservation. We were seated at a lovely table in the center of the windows overlooking the small garden. The food and service were absolutely outstanding. The Lark is expensive, but the experience is well worth it.Special Features:
- The Special Occassion PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014Took my girlfriend there and proposed. She loved it! Food was fantastic, excellent service and staff by far the best restaurant I have been to. Yes its expensive, but for a special occasion you only live once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014We always have an enjoyable meal here. I love the appetizer trolly. The shrimp are always perfect, better then anywhere else- how are they always so good? Great servers. Great menu choices. They are happy to accommodate you with special requests.Special Features:
- Mr. Lark is the consummate host!TomandMichelleDined on 4/4/2014Mr. Lark made us feel special and we so enjoyed his story of the painting of his sister. We love Detroit and all of her stories!! Fabulous evening. Thanks to Rahul for perfect service!Special Features:
- Great for special occasionNormDined on 4/1/2014Our 2nd time at this gem right in our own neighborhood. Only 'minus' was a little too much sauce on my wife's meat dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the LarkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2014This is a very well-know restaurant that we've wanted to try for some time, and finally managed to get there for my wife's birthday. Service was very attentive and our table was ready when we arrived. It was a bit small and stuck in the middle of the room which felt a bit awkward, but it worked out fine. We did have to move things around a bit to accommodate the food as it arrived. The food was all delicious. We particularly liked the asparagus soup, the salad, and the 3 berry sorbet. We thought it was a bit overpriced considering we paid over $300 for two people including a bottle of wine, but the meal was very good. It's a good choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Still best restaurant in MichiganBillDined on 3/14/2014The Lark with Jim Lark's great hospitality and food once again proved itself worthy of its reputation as the best restaurant in Michigan. A superb experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dining with extraordinary fCarloDined on 3/7/2014A long time favorite when we want excellence in dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!NickVIPDined on 3/7/2014Superior restaurant that has deliver excellence for years. It's one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Fantastic again! Have not been there in a bit. Each time we go we wonder why we don't go more often. Food is wonderful as is the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionJavierDined on 2/15/2014Although the food was not excellent, it was original and we really enjoyed. We got a romantic booth as requested and the service was exquisite. Also the recommendation for the wine was brilliant and the irish coffee we order for dessert generous. They had limoncello which I really appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary SpotNoviTomDined on 2/12/2014We have celebrated our past six wedding anniversaries at the Lark. It is a very special restaurant. The food and service are wonderful. Always have a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Have always loved this restaurant. A staple for fine dining in the Detroit area. The owners are always hands on making sure guests are treated with excellent service and the food is exquisite! You cannot go wrong choosing The Lark for celebrating any special event or entertaining your most valued client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccomodatingTazManiacDined on 1/11/2014My reservation at the Lark was a little different than normal. My reservation was 2 staged because of surprised birthday guest (6 additional out of state relatives) planned to join us 5 minutes after my initial arrival with my wife. The restaurant accommodations were prefect, upon arrival we were at a table for two, enjoying the each others company, ambiance, and bread with wine. At this time my wife had no idea that other people would be joining us. Right on schedule the maitre d', sparked a conversation with my wife to focus her attention away from her relatives entrance and there you have it, "Surprise"! At that time we were escorted to our final seating for 8. The Lark exceeded every expectation, just a gem!Special Features:
- While this may be the mostWmECampVIPDined on 12/20/2013While this may be the most expensive restaurant in the state it retains its excellence. Make reservations well in advance and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placeJwineluvrDined on 12/19/2013This was a very nice place and was great for our special occasion. Very notable wine list and excellent food and service. Our only issue was they has a large party there when we went about was a little distracting and felt surrounded by it instead of quaint. Highly recommend due to the food quality and wine list, and attentive service by the people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013At a time when food for the sake of food is appreciated, The Lark is still the master. The best wines, the best service, the best food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I were very impressedDec6AnniversaryCoupleDined on 12/6/2013My wife and I were very impressed to find such a nice quiet, romantic place right here in the community to celebrate our 27th anniversary. the food was outstanding, carefully prepared. We were pampered. i recommend rhis resturant for any of those special occasion. Top notch service, food and atomosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in all areasMattVIPDined on 11/30/2013This was our first trip to The Lark. The food, service, and ambiance were all top notch. We enjoyed chatting with Mr. Lark between courses. We are looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightjoemVIPDined on 11/15/2013The Rack of Lamb was excellent. My wife really enjoyed the ravioli appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Food & poor serveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2013The one who saved the situation was our main responsible waiter, an Asian guy. He was very professional. All others were pretty bad. We won't return. Thanks
- Wonderful eveningBloomfielddinerDined on 11/14/2013We had dinner at The Lark for our anniversary. The meal was amazing. We had the Rack of Lamb and it was the best I've ever had. This resaurant is expensive so it is primary a "special occasion" place for most budgets, but it was well worth it. Also, Jim and Mary Lark were on the floor and giving personal attention to every table. Wonderful service. If you are looking for a top quality French restaurant, The Lark is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceHridhaDined on 11/12/2013One of the best places I have dined at for while, great setup and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencedisappointedfishDined on 11/8/2013What a great restaurant. The decor is awful and looks like your grandmother's living room, but the food is amazing and the service was too. Our son had the rack of lamb and I would go back just to get that.....it was the best lamb that either my husband or I have ever tasted. Our lobster thermador was also incredible. We would definitely go back for a special occasion.....too expensive for regular visitsSpecial Features:
- First experienceAk3536Dined on 11/6/2013This was my first time at The Lark. My girlfriend always said I need to go there I have always enjoyed upscale dining. All other restaurants should aspire to be at The Larks level. Thank You Jim LarkSpecial Features:
- I love the relaxed feel ofJerryDined on 11/2/2013I love the relaxed feel of this restaurant, the quiet ambience and the professional waiters. Jim and Mary run an excellent place. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itJoHarpDined on 11/1/2013Simply put, one of the best restaurants you will ever visit. You are well taken care from the moment you walk in the door. Someone will be there to handle all that is needed to make sure you have a great time. You will even be greeted by Mr and Mrs Lark as well. Make sure to ask about oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food did not live up to servicePerfectBiteDined on 10/5/2013We celebrated our anniversary at the Lark with high expectations. While the service, ambiance and wine list were outstanding and fully in line with our expectations, the entree, a porterhouse which we both ordered, left a lot to be desired. The porterhouse was a surprisingly thin cut and not cooked particularly well. The sauce in which it was smothered was extremely disappointing and very unexpected given the Lark's reputation and the above average quality of the appetizers and desserts. We still had a wonderful time but we will definitely explore other places before returning. Perhaps we would have fared better with their signature entree, Rack of Lamb Genghis Khan, but I have to admit that I'm a little wary given our steak experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining At Its BestAGinDETDined on 9/27/2013A sensational dining experience on all counts - food, service and atmosphere. It is no wonder that The Lark is consistently ranked among the best restaurants in the country. We cannot recommend The Lark too highly. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.