The Lark - Santa Barbara
131 Anacapa St. Suite A
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Lark - Santa Barbara
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thelarksb.com/
- Phone: (805) 284-0370
- Hours of Operation:
5:00 p.m. - Closing Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Late Night Bar Menu available
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jason Paluska
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact our Special Events Director at 805.284.0370 or email at email@example.com
- Public Transit: Enjoy a train ride to Santa Barbara from southern or northern California and meet us at The Lark. No driving required.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking available or use nearby street parking. Substantial parking is available at the Santa Barbara train station, just a block away.
A word from The Lark - Santa Barbara
The Lark pays homage to the history of California train travel and tributes the treasured and long gone Santa Barbara Fish Market, built in the 1920’s as a commercial fish processing plant, shipping their seafood products throughout the state by rail. With an imaginative yet approachable menu created by the gifted Jason Paluska, The Lark celebrates everything found around Santa Barbara County – wineries, farms, ocean and natural beauty. The stunning design strives to connect to the past and the future, using discovered objects from the past and blending them with modern, urban and industrial materials to spectacular effect.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Lark - Santa Barbara - Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara ›
The Lark - Santa Barbara reviews from OpenTable diners
284 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (223)great for outdoor dining (217)hot spot (196)neighborhood gem (141)vibrant bar scene (136)special occasion (136)good for groups (126)romantic (78)notable wine list (76)late-night find (47)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2014The presentation, atmosphere, and food could not have been better. The combinations were unique and the presenation of each dish was spectacular. We looked forward to each dish which was perfectly paced. We devoured each family-style served dish down to the last root vegetable. This is now one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerSusanDined on 11/23/2014Great service and wonderful, inventive dishes, but crazy loud and not very comfortable. Lots of hard surfaces, rusty metals, and rough woods.Special Features:
- Love The LarkLisaVIPDined on 11/22/2014Oh yes I do! The Lark is simply "the" spot: to go, to eat, to have the best time. I go here so often and am always amazed at the lasting power of this venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best Dinners I have had in SBAnniversaryDined on 11/21/2014Thank you Lark for making my Anniversary such a special event! I wrote on the RSVP a little note that read, "It's our Anniversary, any help is appreciated". I wasn't expecting them to read the RVSP let alone actually follow through on helping me! We got to our table, immediately. Which was very nice to have when you arrive on time. Then we we arrived at the table the server immediately brought out a card to my girlfriend that said something hand-written and sweet about choosing the Lark for our Anniversary. Next they brought out two glasses of wine to top it off. Such a nice gesture! I was blown away. I didn't even know what to say, my girlfriend thought I planned this all out but it was actually the Lark just being a phenomenal venue. I'm sure there are plenty of reviews about the amazing food, so I'll skip that but this little bit made the Lark a go to for me always. Thanks again! Best, DanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beets were GREAT! Not much choice for VegetariansSheWould9Dined on 11/21/2014It is Expensive and not many choices if you do not eat Meat. I do eat Fish and even then there were not enough to choose from. I had the good, but small portion for price, Ahi Tuna. It would make a good appetizer to share. The Beets were excellent! Beautiful Place and if you don't have to think about money you will be happy here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite!LisaVIPDined on 11/20/2014Go, go, go there! Hurry....your about to have a lot of fun, incredible food, excellent service and more. Can't recommend The Lark enough! Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Any Night - The Lark Is THE BestLisaVIPDined on 11/15/2014When you look at how much is available in Santa Barbara, The Lark is at the top - for quality, originality, atmosphere, service and enjoyment. It's just plain great! And I haven't even mentioned the desserts...oh my.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Exceptional dining experience. Food was incredible and we were well looked after by the waitstaff. A very special and enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the LarkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014My daughter and I took a mother-daughter trip to Paso Robles and Santa Barbara with a focus on wine tasting and dining. The Lark was the highlight of our trip. Their beet and burrata salad was the best of all the beet salads we tried on our trip. (We love beets). The pappardelle with lamb and hanger steak entrees were fabulous. Portions very generous. And their mule drink was the best ever. The Lark beat out Trattoria Mollie in Montecito and The Artisan in Paso Robles, although both of those were very good as well. Great restaurant with beautiful trendy décor (I love the chandeliers) and vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant I want to go back to again and again.ksketchDined on 11/14/2014We went for my husbans's birthday on a Friday night and took our neighbor so we could share more plates! The crispy brussel sprouts with medjool date, The little gems “Wedge” with smoked blue cheese, pappardelle with braised lamb with gouda and a poached egg, all divine. Can't wait to go back and try the scallops and grilled Spanish octopus. Oh and the Tahitian vanilla ice cream sandwich is amazing. Thank you for a wonderful evening. Service was very very good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What didn't we have to eat?ladyZVIPDined on 11/14/2014What didn't we eat? The food is served family style so we all got what we wanted...and what we were willing to try. The food kept coming and we didnt waste any time digging in: my favorite was the Crispy Brussel Sprouts (medjool dates, garum, sesame, lime); Roasted Beets & Burrata; Ellwood Farms Red Oak Butter Lettuces; Honey Glazed Rainbow Carrots; Duck Liver & Belgian Waffles; Marinated & Grilled Hanger Steak; Hand Rolled Pappaedelle & Crispy Braised Lamd; Herb Roasted Diver Scallops and then finished with a Chocolate Mousse with Marshmallow & Strudel Topping. Amazing Atmosphere, Excellent Service and Artistic Food Presentation!!! ***** A Five Star NightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shared Plates?HubbellVIPDined on 11/13/2014At a glance menu seems terrific. Server was very available to explain "concept"....all dishes are meant to be shared. Not sure if this is more tapas style, but she ensured us what we were ordering would be enough food. We left hungry...after spending $110.00 with no booze. The flat iron steak platter was good, but not big enough for an entree for 2 guys. Other dishes we got were pimento cheese fritters, deviled eggs, baby gem salad and ahi tuna..,all good, but confusing portions.Special Features:
- Girl's Night OutBJRSBDined on 11/12/2014Great evening. Shared 4 plates, all delicious, brussell sprouts, kale salad, duck confit, scallops and clams. Excellent wine and ambiance. Heater didn't work but they brought a mobile one so the temperature was perfect too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodReettaDined on 11/11/2014We travelled through San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Palm Springs and Las Vegas and this was hands down the greatest dining experience we had. American food with an innovative twist, all plates had been thoroughly thought through. Great drinks. Good and attentive service. Do save room for desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever?BillVIPDined on 11/11/2014This is a favorite of ours. We took our friends and they suggested it was the best dinner they ever had. We tried almost all the dishes served family style and enjoyed them all. Interesting and unique flavors, masterful combinations! Awesome service as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miriam LindbeckLocalCitizenDined on 11/11/2014The Lark, located in the Santa Barbara "Funk Zone" is a top-level experience on multiple levels. First of all the place is just funky chic. Love the layout, the decor, the entire building. Great open place to dine and socialize. Next the service is fabulous, friendly, warm, intelligent and very helpful. They never intrude or interrupt, but boy do they serve. Then the food. It's outrageously delicious. Different, creative, edgy, beautifully prepared and served, I want to eat every dish on the menu and go back the next day. I love the fact they serve local bests--wines, distilled drinks, organics. Every plate is a work of art and mouthwatering. I'm proud to take my friends there trusting they will love every minute and every morsel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in townOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014best place in town. period. f f f f f f f ff f f fSpecial Features:
- Great Date NightSBWinosDined on 11/8/2014This was our second time at Lark. We have been dying to go back since our first visit was so amazing. The second visit didn't disappoint! We had a wonderful, late dinner on a Saturday night. Our server was helpful, attentive and friendly. The food was just as amazing as we remembered! The dished are unique and full of flavor. Overall, a memorable experience!!Special Features:
- Super!LisaVIPDined on 11/8/2014You ask if The Lark is "kid-friendly" - well yes! Since I am such a big kid! I love The Lark every time, everyday, every week I am there. The best place for big kids. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!luvtodineDined on 11/7/2014Why did I wait so long to go to The Lark? What a fabulous experience! You must explore each little tidbit you find on the platters of food brought to your table because you will find flavors that burst and surprise your tastebuds! The combination of flavors are created to be eaten together so explore before eating then, enjoy every bite. My compliments to the chef...I will return.Special Features:
- ExcellentMi93108Dined on 11/7/2014Celebrating a friends birthday. Cocktails were creative and good. Bartender Brie has an exceptional eye for detail and wonderful service before we went to our table. Had the cheese board and charcuterie board and the Brussels sprouts to start. Only a small complaints is I've had the charcuterie board several times and always loved it. This time it had barely any meat on it and a very large (double portion) of a minced meat / pate like item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LarkCALGALDined on 11/7/2014We had reservations at 5:00 on a Friday night. We were taken to the last table in the back forty starring at a wall in right quarters. The food is served family style - so everything comes one at a time. You share entrees and all. The food is smokey and spicy. Not BBQ or flame smokey - but seasoning smokey. Deviled eggs looked to-die-for, but we're not that great. Chicken and scallops were good - but just not our flavoring ... Service was very good and friendly. Did not care for atmosphere or close seating to other tables.
- Keep Coming Back and Keep ReviewingLisaVIPDined on 11/4/2014Ok. I go to The Lark a lot. Yes, a lot. All for good reason. The Lark is simply the best spot in town for EVERYTHING - right down to the silverware. Yup. The food is so good and highly creative, and the personnel? Well they could not be better. The Lark is it. Get there. Fast.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Santa BarbaraJoshnewtonDined on 11/4/2014This is by far the best restaurant in Santa Barbara right now. Incredible food choices, everything was insanely delicious, and the staff were incredible. Can't wait to go back every week :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good timeBrianDined on 11/1/2014We went for our anniversary and it was a very good time. Almost everything about the evening was great. Our seats weren't the best as we had a two top in a back corner and my wife sat in an old confessional. It's better when it's a group of four in the bigger booths but this was just okay. The food was great overall. The only thing we'd change was that the double cut pork chop was a little dry. We should have known better but it sounded so good. It's really hard to make a pork chop really moist since they've been bred these days to be so lean. The appetizer was great and the salad was great. The sides for the pork chop were really good too. Overall, it was a great experience and we will always come back.Special Features:
- Amazing Food Journeyfoodlover34Dined on 10/31/2014The service was wonderful, and the dishes we tried were so amazing. Great variety on the menu, and the combinations of flavors were very unique. This was one of the best meals we have ever had. Our server recommended great wine pairings with the courses as well.Special Features:
- The Heart And The LarkLisaVIPDined on 10/30/2014My heart belongs with The Lark. Why? The Lark has "it" going on - every single time I'm there. Great food, super cocktails, the best gosh darn service, all under a glorious environment. Yup, The Lark has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassion DinnermayhamDined on 10/29/2014We went for our daughter's birthday, her choice. It was a unique dining experience ( Not sure that a meat and potato guy would pick this place). We had read the menu on our computer so we were somewhat prepared for the meal that followed. We started off by each trying a different house cocktail and the spicy popcorn that is brought to the table, very special. We went on with a few more items that we shared, as recommended. Our favorites dishes were the brussel sprouts and the octopus. They were so unusual and quite delicious. If you are in the mood for something quite different, while being pampered by a knowledgeable staff, sharing all the ingredients and flavors involved in the foods served, I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RnKrdtripDined on 10/29/2014The service was excellent and the food unique and outstanding!! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED!!!Louie2451Dined on 10/26/2014This was our first stop in SB and we ALL loved it! The service was impeccable. The spicy popcorn basket was different and fun! The next day, we were on the Urban Wine Trail and ended up going to the Lucky Penny which is the sister restaurant just adjacent. This is a great spot!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!VivbabyDined on 10/26/2014The Lark has a unique menu full of delicious, interesting dishes. Many of the dishes are meant to be shared so you can go with a group and try many items. The brussel sprouts and the octopus were some of our favorites, but everything was fantastic, including the desserts. Service was exceptional, too!Special Features:
- Vibrant Bar SceneLisaVIPDined on 10/25/2014Now when I am asked this, I first think of The Lark - it's the best bar scene in Santa Barbara. Why? Because they make some of the best and creative cocktails around. Then, when you pair it with all that creative and delicious food, well, what can I say? Get there...fast and enjoy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/24/2014Great food, atmosphere and wine. The drinks are OK - I would pass on cocktails and do wine or beer next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was so excited but........MVSCHUDined on 10/24/2014I heard many wonderful things about the Lark. The menu sounded good but we were truly disappointed on many food items: the house cured meat first looked fantastic, but quickly we realized there was very little meat and lot's of pickled vegetables. I love salt, but the raw scallop dish was so salty, we couldn't enjoy it, plus it came with some weird bitter aubergines schmear on the side. It goes on, sorry. The famous brussel sprouts dish were soggy, plump and greasy. The wedge was great, even though the lardon were too big and not rendered enough. The large platters: we had the flat iron for $34. Not enough meet again just like the meat board, tons of pickled vegies to mask the lack of meat. Service was good, place looks fantastic as well.Special Features:
- Good Food.RS4649Dined on 10/24/2014The concept is sharing plates. The food was very good, not amazing. As some previous reviewers have pointed out, the price per item can be high. The amount of protein included per plate is quite small, especially in light of the sharing concept. The service is friendly and attentive. The pace of the plates being presented to us was great. Although we had a "time limit" on the table we did not feel rushed and we had plenty of time to enjoy our meal. We sat inside but the outdoor seating area looked very inviting. The bar was in full gear with no empty seats. The complimentary valet parking was a nice touch, although we did not use it. My favorite dish was the octopus with a wonderfully dressed couscous served alongside. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!GeenafestDined on 10/23/2014We just moved to Santa Barbara this week and it was our first night venturing out. WHAT A TREAT! We had heard of The Lark and knew it was hard to get a table and I now know why! The food was fantastic, the staff made you feel like family and the energy was excellent. Everyone in the place was so happy and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great service and tasty foodcatwomanDined on 10/22/2014Enjoyed our dinner at Lark. The patio is a great place to relax and enjoy tasty food with friends. Service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time better than second timeAlexandra93101Dined on 10/19/2014We went twice this month to The Lark. First time was excellent, on a Tuesday night. It was still the summer menu and we had trouble making our choice with all the different offers that attracted us. All plates, wine and service were excellent. Second time, a Sunday night, was less perfect. Service still very good, but fall menu didn't change that much, so it became more difficult to find what we wanted and had not tried yet. Pork chops were overcooked. We will give them a third try, fingers crossed.Special Features:
- Will visit every time in SBschristieVIPDined on 10/18/2014A friend of mine recommended this place to me upon my first visit to SB, and after a fantastic meal, I'll be doing the same for anyone who will listen. Very popular spot (for good reason) with friendly staff, great ambiance and even better food. We had a reservation and called about two hours ahead to see if outdoor seating was available (this was for an anniversary dinner), and not only did the staff grant us an outdoor table ahead of schedule, but were kind enough to send a note and champagne to us for our anniversary. A great touch that you don't see from too many restaurants on that short notice. Very excited to visit again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Excellent staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was great except the hanger steak was only three tony pieces of steak and so many pickled veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.