6430 Farmington Rd
West Bloomfield, MI 48322Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thelark.com/
- Phone: (248) 661-4466
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm.(Special Themed Dinners on Select Mondays)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, French
- Executive Chef: John Somerville
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Michigan's 1 choice for corporate entertaining, The Lark can comfortably host dinners and lunches for up to 50 people, with additional seating for 10 in its cafe area. Many table set-ups are available and menus are customized to your requirements. Chef demonstrations or wine discussions are also available. Lunches range from $45 to $80 per person (plus drinks, tax and gratuity) and dinner from $80-$120. Please inquire about our special dinner pricing of $125 or less, fully inclusive of drinks tax and gratuity.
The Lark is a perfect backdrop for romance. This sophisticated venue is a popular choice for second weddings or small, intimate gatherings. Menus are designed around a couple's special wishes and may include a four to seven course dining experience enhanced by the wines of The Lark's legendary reserves. Guests fall in love with the award-winning cuisine at The Lark, one of the Midwest's most renowned and celebrated restaurants.
- Private Party Contact: Cathy Mullings 2486614466x
- Entertainment: On special Theme Dinners entertainment is provided to go along with the festivities.
A word from The Lark
The overall theme is a sophisticated European-style country inn including tuxedo-ed waitpeople, walled garden viewed through the dining room windows, fountain, outdoor tables in season, outdoor grill, grape trellis, and garden grown herbs, vegetables and fruit. The decor is that of an elegant southern European Country Inn with terracotta walls adorned with Portuguese tile murals and elaborate tiled restrooms. Cuisine is eclectic and distinctive with French cooking techniques.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Lark - Best Restaurants in West Bloomfield ›
The Lark reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)romantic (14)notable wine list (9)fit for foodies (7)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Birthday DinnerJerryDined on 11/1/2014We celebrate special occasions at the Lark. We have never had a bad experience. This family run restaurant is high on my list of places to have a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedtypecaseDined on 10/25/2014Perhaps the food wasn't to my taste but the chairs were uncomfortable and the service was simply mediocre. I didn't leave feeling enthused and certainly not like I dined at the best restaurant in metro Detroit.Special Features:
- MimiVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have been to The Lark years ago. I did not find it to be that great this time. The food portions are very small for the price.Special Features:
- Love the LarkJerryDined on 10/3/2014The Lark is an excellent restaurant to celebrate a special occasion or just to give family members a great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Everything about this place is awesome, the food, the service... I mean everything.Special Features:
- Wonderful WonderfulBethRoseDined on 9/26/2014Attentive service, great wines, excellent food, superior in all ways.Special Features:
- Bucket ListEpicureansheavenDined on 9/20/2014Everyone should visit the Lark at least one time. The food and service were unparalleled. It is not inexpensive but the value was tremendous. They put the "fine" into fine dining. There is simply no better [old school] dining in Michigan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet all the wayDarleneKDined on 9/20/2014If you are into gourmet food, then you will love this place. Tiny servings - huge prices. We ate here maybe 15-20 years ago & I remember it as a quaint, romantic restaurant with great food and service. Service is now good, but not great. Food is now good, but not great. They have added tables so the noise level is up as well as the prices. It was a little bit of a shock. This is a once in a lifetime experience to go here - I don't believe I will be back.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014The Lark never disappoints. Food was terrific and the wine scrumptuous. Last minute weekday reservations were accepted and our table was perfect. The service is top notch. Go and enjoy !Special Features:
- DonaDined on 9/5/2014The Lark remains the best restaurant in metro Detroit for those who can afford it.Special Features:
- PeterDined on 8/15/2014I was there for a special occasion but have to say I expected better food. Service was all aright but nothing of spectacular, which I expected to be, based on a friend recommendation and the price I paid. Prior to be in Lark, I was in Louis the XV in Monaco and was comparing the Lark to that experience and treatment I had there. Maybe it is unfair comparison. Over all, good atmosphere and good service but the staff would need some consultative education how to make the experience in the Lark spectacular. I would recommend the place despite of my thoughts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the The Lark reviews archive.
- disappointedDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I were very impressed with the quiet romantic atmosphere. We sat near windows that looked out on a charming garden. The food was excellent and the ability to have small or large portions of the appetisers and desserts and as many as you wanted was fabulous. The chef came out to talk to us when I raved about the creamy soup and my lamb was mouthwatering. My husband had duck, which he refused to share with me because it was sooo good. We definitly plan to return. Not inexpensive but worth every penny for a special occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegancemimosamommaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Seated by the owner in the booth of honor our evening was off to a great start . We toasted our anniversary with champagne . On cue our server arrived with the hot/cold appetizer cart ; we selected one of everything . We decided on Chardonnay and Malbec to accompany rest of the dining experience . We then moved on to the next course: asparagus soup and the seafood appetizer were perfect . While we savored a raspberry sorbet we pondered our main course selections. We chose a filet and the sea bass For dessert diamond pecan bars and a cheesecake slice topped our experience We sat back with our cappuccino and sighed !Special Features:
- Gourmet dinning experienceDineamicsDined on 7/19/2014Right from the greeting at the door from Mrs. Lark to the ambiance, service, food choices and quality of food it was one of the best dining experiences we've ever had!! I had the signature rack of lamb and my girlfriend had the scallops. Both were to die for. The choices and taste of the cold appetizers right through to my espresso to end the evening was memorable. We'll definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2selections of wines weren'tOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Over priced mediocre food outside tables neglected 2wine selection weren't available service was scarce
- Exceptional!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/10/2014Friendly exceptional wait-staff, attentive but not intrusive. the food was delicious, wine list extensive and award winning! We had our sons rehearsal dinner here in June and guests commented that not only was the food exceptional and the wait-staff excellent. They also said it was one of the most fun rehearsal dinners they have ever experienced because of a Lark tradition. If you wanted to clink your glasses to have the bride a groom kiss you had to sing them a song with the word "love" in it. By the end of the evening everyone wanted to sing a funny or touching song, even those like me who can not sing. The staff even put together a performance for the bride and groom! To cap off the evening they served the most delicious desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Anniverary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014My wife and I had a wonderful experience dining at The Lark! The food was superb! The setting was intimate! The service was attentive and fast! We would certainly recommend this restaurant for any couple, that's seeking a nice restaurant. 5 StarrsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousDisappointedDined on 6/14/2014Haughty waitstaff, aged clientele, funeral home flower smell, over priced food, too many courses -- puleeze!Special Features:
- JohnDined on 5/16/2014Two steaks were "cool" when they arrived at the table. One had to be sent back for re-heating.Special Features:
- The very best in DetroitjwfoodieDined on 5/2/2014For quality, service, and a staff that seems to be truly happy that you chose to dine with them, this is the best French cooking in Detroit. Nothing else is close. Add the charm of Mr. Lark visiting with you as you enjoy your appetizers - it is a charming evening, and a night when the table is yours all evening. Leave room for the Austrian soufflé at the end, although there is no way to eat all of it - it's the best $15 you ever spend on a dessert. It' not cheap, but when you realize what you just ate and the experience - it really is a value for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris DinnerDHWestBloomVIPDined on 4/30/2014And here again, the team at the Lark managed to outperform any previous experience we had elsewhere and prepare an extraordinary dinner event that we'll not forget for many years to come. Every course prepared with the utmost attention to details and paired with carefully selected glass of wine to complete the delight. No point in mentioning any particular dish as they were all outstanding. The Ch. Barde Haut '97 was one of the best Bordeaux I've ever tasted and was surprisingly offered as part of the optional wine bouquet with no additional charge. Friendly staff, excellent service, romantic atmosphere , amazing food - it doesn't get any better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply OUTSTANDINGPeteVIPDined on 4/25/2014Made reservations for our Anniversary. Noted that it was a special event in the reservation. We were seated at a lovely table in the center of the windows overlooking the small garden. The food and service were absolutely outstanding. The Lark is expensive, but the experience is well worth it.Special Features:
- The Special Occassion PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014Took my girlfriend there and proposed. She loved it! Food was fantastic, excellent service and staff by far the best restaurant I have been to. Yes its expensive, but for a special occasion you only live once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/15/2014We always have an enjoyable meal here. I love the appetizer trolly. The shrimp are always perfect, better then anywhere else- how are they always so good? Great servers. Great menu choices. They are happy to accommodate you with special requests.Special Features:
- Mr. Lark is the consummate host!TomandMichelleDined on 4/4/2014Mr. Lark made us feel special and we so enjoyed his story of the painting of his sister. We love Detroit and all of her stories!! Fabulous evening. Thanks to Rahul for perfect service!Special Features:
- Great for special occasionNormDined on 4/1/2014Our 2nd time at this gem right in our own neighborhood. Only 'minus' was a little too much sauce on my wife's meat dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the LarkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2014This is a very well-know restaurant that we've wanted to try for some time, and finally managed to get there for my wife's birthday. Service was very attentive and our table was ready when we arrived. It was a bit small and stuck in the middle of the room which felt a bit awkward, but it worked out fine. We did have to move things around a bit to accommodate the food as it arrived. The food was all delicious. We particularly liked the asparagus soup, the salad, and the 3 berry sorbet. We thought it was a bit overpriced considering we paid over $300 for two people including a bottle of wine, but the meal was very good. It's a good choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Still best restaurant in MichiganBillDined on 3/14/2014The Lark with Jim Lark's great hospitality and food once again proved itself worthy of its reputation as the best restaurant in Michigan. A superb experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dining with extraordinary fCarloDined on 3/7/2014A long time favorite when we want excellence in dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!NickVIPDined on 3/7/2014Superior restaurant that has deliver excellence for years. It's one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Fantastic again! Have not been there in a bit. Each time we go we wonder why we don't go more often. Food is wonderful as is the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionJavierDined on 2/15/2014Although the food was not excellent, it was original and we really enjoyed. We got a romantic booth as requested and the service was exquisite. Also the recommendation for the wine was brilliant and the irish coffee we order for dessert generous. They had limoncello which I really appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary SpotNoviTomDined on 2/12/2014We have celebrated our past six wedding anniversaries at the Lark. It is a very special restaurant. The food and service are wonderful. Always have a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Have always loved this restaurant. A staple for fine dining in the Detroit area. The owners are always hands on making sure guests are treated with excellent service and the food is exquisite! You cannot go wrong choosing The Lark for celebrating any special event or entertaining your most valued client.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccomodatingTazManiacDined on 1/11/2014My reservation at the Lark was a little different than normal. My reservation was 2 staged because of surprised birthday guest (6 additional out of state relatives) planned to join us 5 minutes after my initial arrival with my wife. The restaurant accommodations were prefect, upon arrival we were at a table for two, enjoying the each others company, ambiance, and bread with wine. At this time my wife had no idea that other people would be joining us. Right on schedule the maitre d', sparked a conversation with my wife to focus her attention away from her relatives entrance and there you have it, "Surprise"! At that time we were escorted to our final seating for 8. The Lark exceeded every expectation, just a gem!Special Features:
- While this may be the mostWmECampVIPDined on 12/20/2013While this may be the most expensive restaurant in the state it retains its excellence. Make reservations well in advance and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice placeJwineluvrDined on 12/19/2013This was a very nice place and was great for our special occasion. Very notable wine list and excellent food and service. Our only issue was they has a large party there when we went about was a little distracting and felt surrounded by it instead of quaint. Highly recommend due to the food quality and wine list, and attentive service by the people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/13/2013At a time when food for the sake of food is appreciated, The Lark is still the master. The best wines, the best service, the best food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I were very impressedDec6AnniversaryCoupleDined on 12/6/2013My wife and I were very impressed to find such a nice quiet, romantic place right here in the community to celebrate our 27th anniversary. the food was outstanding, carefully prepared. We were pampered. i recommend rhis resturant for any of those special occasion. Top notch service, food and atomosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in all areasMattVIPDined on 11/30/2013This was our first trip to The Lark. The food, service, and ambiance were all top notch. We enjoyed chatting with Mr. Lark between courses. We are looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.