The Land and Water Co.
2978 Carlsbad Blvd
Carlsbad, CA 92008Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
The Land and Water Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.landandwaterco.com/
- Phone: 7607295263
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Ruiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: We do not offer regular catering but at Chef's discretion we can do off site dining for sushi and hot food.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two spots. One is reservation only area for public and the other is reservation only for guests at the discretion of management.
- Private Party Contact: Pamela Harper 7607295263
A word from The Land and Water Co.
Welcome to The Land & Water Company. Please visit our webite for specific information about our menu and private party accomodations. We look forward to serving you the finest foods and cocktails in San Diego County. Find us at www.landandwaterco.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Land and Water Co. - Best Restaurants in Carlsbad ›
The Land and Water Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (12)hot spot (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Interesting menu, but limited in diversify. Sushi was great, but that is about the only choice for a meal. If you order an entree do not be surprised at all over the lack of a carb. Seems that protein is all you get and at a very slow pace. 2 hours to receive, salad and entree. Rather pricey also.Special Features:
- Lucky surpriseGinnaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Found this in Open table while looking for a late night dinner as we left San Diego for Los Angeles after the John Legend concert. Willing to eat anything since it was late, we found this to be a fantastic place. The owner takes pride on making the rolls himself, the menu is not huge with choices, but we tried 5 different items and they ware all delicious. The Water roll was amazing.Special Features:
- drrasDined on 8/22/2014Delicious, innovative, creative food. Forced ourselves to stop eating after 2 appetizers and 2 specialty rolls but could have eaten all night the food was so great! Bacon Lardon, Beef Skewers, Water roll and Surf and Turf roll were all superb. We'll be back to try everything else!!!Special Features:
- Creative and flavorfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014Food freshness, flavor and preparation were outstanding. There were some unique combinations not found at other sushi restaurants. I appreciated the fact that those not coming for sushi still had some interesting options yet the sushi was still first rate. The only disappointment food-wise was the desert. Service was spotty as we had to ask several times for items like soy and wasabi. Ask for an outside table if you want to be able to hold conversations easily during your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!FantasticDined on 8/18/2014This was are first visit to The Land and Water Co. We gathered to celebrate our grandson's first day of Kindergarten and our birthdays. We sat outside, the weather was beautiful, and our server was fantastic. And the drinks and food were excellent! We will return and recommend this restaurant to all. Thank you, TomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally tried Land and Water Co.SkimoreDined on 8/14/2014After four months, I finally went last Thursday with out of town friends for dinner. They had a nice happy hour menu until 6, but unfortunately my friends met me there after the 6pm cutoff point. Though primarily a sushi restaurant with a sushi bar, there were other items as well: I had the braised beef skewers which were crispy on the outside, sweet and tender inside. My friends had the cod and a salad, and raved about both. Except for a draft from open doors to the outdoor (on pacific highway street view) we were comfortable after moving once. Servers were attentive but forgot water when asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique FoodCarlsbadLocalDined on 8/9/2014The food was amazing and the portions were not overwhelming. The setting was nice but as the night went on the noise level was a little out of control. If you want awesome unique food, go early and enjoy the friendly staff and the nice decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique menu... tasty food.wellfedDined on 8/9/2014Well run.... very good, unusual menu and food quality. Nice presentation, good quantity and value. Nice location and atmosphere. Well done!Special Features:
- Great food; noise & service subparZillDined on 7/18/2014Great appetizers and entrees. Very flavorful and the actual presentation of the food was amazing. The place looks good on the inside but WAY too loud to have a conversation with the other 6 people in my party. Felt like I had to almost scream for others to hear me. Acoustic paneling would do wonders for this up-and-coming business. Also, the overall service needs improving. Their policy is that they'll bring out a dish when it's ready. Well, when you have 7 people in your party, bringing out one appetizer or entree at a time is annoying and awkward. Several minutes went by between our 3 appetizers and everyone felt a little weird about their portion consumption. Also, more direction needed when placing entrees down to the correct person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food in CarlsbadLindakVIPDined on 7/12/2014We went to this restaurant based on a recent review in the SD Union-Tribune. The food did not disappoint. Excellent sushi, and the other dishes on the menu were distinctive and very good. My complaints are with the parking and noise level. Probably two things the management can't do much about as this restaurant is housed in an old (historic) building, therefore cannot be altered. But they should be able to get valet parking and that would help tremendously. We almost bailed on our reservation because we could not find parking, eventually finding something a street away which was fine. Maybe adding some interior wall coverings or hangings would help soften the noise level. Anyway, the food is very good and the restaurant worth checking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Land and WaterEatingoutontheTownDined on 7/12/2014GREAT seafood, good staff, informative and fun. Spent 34th Anniversary there and had a great time.. Some 'craft' cocktails (good marketing) were fun, different.Special Features:
- Excellent FindsequimteethDined on 7/6/2014Took my daughter to dinner just because...reservation (but not needed on the day we went)...and ordered just about every sushi on the menu. Really loved the presentation, palate, and the fact that the restaurant cares about the quality of the product. Really a nice place. We really liked the Water Roll and the Green Roll with the kale. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it moreElsWellsDined on 7/5/2014The Land and Water Company could become a great addition to downtown Carlsbad. It has potential, but needs to be sure that what is on the menu is available, and is well prepared. That being said, the beef skewers and the Spicy Tuna Musubi were excellent. The server we had wasn't well prepared and didn't attempt to be helpful. An example was the beer list, which he ran through quickly, and then acted annoyed that we hadn't memorized it and tried to order something on the menu that wasn't available. We ordered a couple of rolls and one had an off taste and the other fell apart because it wasn't rolled tightly enough. The restaurant itself is attractive, and I hope they pull it together so it can be what it hopes to be.
- This restaurant is DELICIOUS!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014My new favorite restaurant hands down... The spicy tuna musula roll is beyond!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed for the pricenctygirlDined on 6/27/2014Pricey food, less than stellar service (took a while to be acknowledged after being seated on the patio). Crispy beef skewers were yum, but the sushi role that was supposedly the most popular was $19 and lackluster. Left a bit disappointed and still hungry, tab was close to $80 for 2 (included $22 in wine)Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!!SmileyteacherDined on 6/25/2014My husband and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary in June 2014 at the Land and Water Company. I made reservations on Open Table, so the hostess knew that it was our anniversary. She greeted us very warmly and asked if we would like to sit at the sushi bar and see Chef/Owner Rob work and be our host. What a great experience. Rob is an absolute artist with the sushi knife. We let him choose our menu for the evening. What a treat! The sushi was delicious and all the other sides were amazing. The bartender even looked up a special drink using Pimm's and served it. Yummmmmmmy... A very beautiful and evening to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieNdisguiseDined on 6/25/2014Small portions. We were on the patio. It was a cool evening and the heaters were more for ambiance rather than throw off heat.
- Should have been five starGumbyDined on 6/23/2014The only really things I had some concern over, we're the setting sun shining through the west windows and open doors to the patio were in the eyes of a few of my guests for quite a while. I'm surprised one of the servers or other staff didn't notice and offer to lower a shade, or move our group to another table, or even help or suggest a modification of the seating arrangement. We fixed it ourselves with a minor seating re-arrangement. The hostess did say happy birthday to my wife (since I mentioned her name and birthday in my Open Table reservation); however the server never mentioned the birthday or any type if similar acknowledgement. I was disappointed about that. The food is, as always, EXCELLENT, and the staff was very courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "iffy" if we recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Celebrating an important event, waited over 1/2 an hr for drinks and over an hour for food. They only brought our food as we got ready to leave. Way over priced for what you get.
- ExcellentPaulDined on 6/7/2014Loved it. Took the wife on a date day and it was all good. You will feel like you are on some kind of food show. The food will blow you away.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We arrived late. Chef came out and personally greeted us. Even we missed dinner time, he offered us the full menu, and even sent tasters over before our food arrived. Delicious! And the service was excellent. We came back again the next night and brought friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great additionwinedanddinedDined on 5/19/2014You can go anywhere in Carlsbad village and get the same scene, same dinner routine... Same style food. Land and Water offers a great new spot to get together with friends, enjoy quality cocktails (only 5$!), and try several items in the menu to share between the group. We did not leave feel full- which some people may not understand- but we loved our experience and will be back. A couple of the girls thought we should change locations when it came time for actual dinner, so maby add a couple more "dinner size" options to accommodate everyone in a party. But that would be more only suggestion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bold & BeautifulChefsDadDined on 5/13/2014The food and service is outstanding! Great beer and wine selection. Ambiance was organic with re-purposed features throughout this historical location on Pacific Coast Highway. It doesn't get any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLuckyDuckyDined on 5/11/2014We had the pickled vegetable appetizer and some of the sushi and it was all very delicious!Special Features:
- Get your sushi on!FitzDined on 5/10/2014Our expectations were high, and amazingly they were exceeded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DwkwVIPDined on 5/10/2014Wierd menu. Some great dishes, some not so much, but overall very limited menu. There is no sound absorbing material so be prepared to yell all night and keep saying, "what?" to everyone at your table. If this place gets tweaked, it will be great.
- Innovative sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014I liked it. Small plates..Nuvo sushi tapa style. Friendly staff. It's in the old neimans bar. Need to work on acoustics cause it's noisy. A lot of people dining with kids..doesn't seem like a kid place. Would come here again for appetizers.Special Features:
- Noise level too intenseTLOEDined on 5/10/2014The food was fine and had sufficient options for most everyone. Drinks a bit too expensive and the noise level too intense. Good location.Special Features:
- Good food, not enough for priceNandBDined on 5/9/2014We knew this was a small plates restaurant. But we spent $100 for two of us and still walked away hungry. The food was good, but suggest adding a few heartier plates to the menu. For example, the carne asada didn't even come with tortillas, this would have provided a little more of a meal. We're locals and not sure whether we'll go out of our way to go here again. It would be better for a few drinks and appetizers prior to eating out somewhere else. The bar scene seemed vibrant and upscale, which is a nice addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/2014Poor experience overall. Ambience/service/menu selection--restaurant seemed "in training".We ordered a number of sushi rolls, & a variety of their share appetizer dishes. Servers seemed confused-came to our table 2ce with the wrong drinks & then we had 1 roll delivered, but no chopsticks/soy sauce/wasabi/ginger, etc...then no water...constantly looking for waitress. The menu sushi-wise was limited, which surprise me because I thought it was a "Japanese" restaurant. It didn't feel like a Japanese restaurant. Our waitress said, if you want a roll, let me know & I can have the sushi chefs prepare something. Also mentioned the menu was just completely redone. The portions were small.Flavors of some of the food was good. We won't be back.
- The following 16 reviews are from the The Land and Water Co. reviews archive.
- A little disappointedHungryBearDined on 4/29/2014Born and raised in the area I grew up loving this Land mark building where you'll now find The Land and Water Company. As a small boy and into my Late 30's this Icon was known as the Twin Inns. Great wholesome comfort food, excellent service and consistency. That's all gone now. The beautiful Victorian structure is there but ever since the Twin Inns shut down their restaurant they have never had a restaurant that amounted to anything very good in the old Hotel. I had such high hopes for the Land and Water Company. Issues: Confusing menu, Dirty table where we sat, lack of clientele(6:30), consistency and a dismal ambiance. In spite of a good selection of well made Sushi my wife went home hungry due to a poor selection of non seafood items.
- For True Culinary Geeks + Lovers...BirthdayGirlVIPDined on 4/22/2014What started from a quiet date night turned into a true culinary lovers experience. I highly recommend sitting at the sushi bar if you like to be engaged and watch pure AWESOMENESS. Chef Rob and his team radiate with the passion and excitement they hold for their new restaurant and food concepts. The menu items are eclectic in their ingredient pairing with a story and description from the Chef for every choice on the menu... They are not trying to be Hipsters... they just love their craft and want to share it with anyone who appreciates food and wants to listen. Looking forward to another visit. (If you're a brave food enthusiast, ask Chef Rob for Ikura With House Made Caramel + A Shot Of Scotch)Special Features:
- LouiseVIPDined on 4/20/2014This is a new restaurant in Carlsbad, the name doesn't represent the menu, sounds like a steak and seafood place but it is sushi mostly and even at that, limited in comparison to other sushi restaurants, has a few other choices but the menu is very limited, don't think I would go back.
- amazing taste treatsSansDined on 4/19/2014Twice I have eaten at The Land and Water this week and I can't wait to take other friends and family there. The menu is very unique and yummy and well complimented by a their specialty cocktails, local beers and a lovely selection of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newly opened, but worth a try.DrJimDined on 4/14/2014This will be a winner in a few months. The dishes are imaginative, especially the crispy beef on a stick, and sushi rolls. Loved the pork belly. The server was attentive, but had to be appolgeticfor the slow kitchen. Again, this is early for them and they will only improve. Give them a try.Special Features:
- Great evening at Land and Water Co.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014What a great addition to the Carlsbad Village dining scene! Our evening out with friends dining with Rob Ruiz at the sushi bar was everything we've grown to expect and more. Rob is a culinary genius. His thoughts with respect to the menu provided for a vast selection to choose from aside from his masterful sushi work. Each dish was prepared with artful attention to presentation to accompany taste that is beyond compare. There is no other sushi restaurant or chef that can compare to the Land and Water Co. and Rob Ruiz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible new restaurantCarolVIPDined on 4/3/2014I don't live near Carlsbad, but was visiting a business in the area and decided to try out this new restaurant. I am now trying to think of reasons to get back to the area so I can eat there again! I could not have been more impressed with the service, the decor, and the atmosphere, but the sushi is what will make this restaurant thrive. Incredible presentation and flavor combinations. I was there with someone more adventurous than I am, so I tried a wide variety of rolls and each was truly extraordinary. I've never done a restaurant review before, but since I am still thinking about my meal earlier this week, this new restaurant deserves a big thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlsbad steps up!pverduVIPDined on 4/2/2014Food, service & ambience. The Land and Water Co. gets high marks on all front. Go see for yourself!Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backEvanDined on 3/31/2014The food was amazing. So fresh and bright. Everything made with precision. The fish is so fresh. You can tell they are passionate about food here. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, restaurant just openedFoody92008Dined on 3/29/2014We enjoyed dinner at The Land and Water Co. with a group of 4. The restaurant had just opened the day prior to our dining experience. The interior is nicely done, very modern but also cozy. It was fairly noisy although the place wasn't packed - maybe some noise cancelling panels on the ceiling would help (I know they are ugly, but it was pretty loud). The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and caring. Since their dishes are meant for sharing, we ordered a lot of different things and shared it all. Everything was very good, just the Ahi tuna lettuce rolls maybe a little bland. We loved the cocktails as well. The manager came by our table at the end and asked what we liked and didn't like. Nice touch, they are interested in getting feedback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.