The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
747 Lake Bonavista Drive SE
Calgary, AB T2J 0N2Neighborhood:
Wild GamePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lakehousecalgary.com/
- Phone: 4032253939x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am-2:00pm Lunch
Monday-Friday: 2:00pm-5:00pm Late Menu
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 12:00am Late Menu
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 1:30pm
Sunday: 1:30pm - 5:00pm Late Menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Neukom
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
Perched directly above Lake Bonavista with large glass windows overlooking the lake, The Lake House is home to one of Calgary’s finest & most creative restaurants as well as a unique setting for private events & weddings. Exuding rustic elegance, the interior is illuminated with ornate elk antler chandeliers & a grand fireplace. Catching your eye when you enter is a glass encased wine cellar & a refurbished bar from the 1800’s, previously housed in a mercantile shop in Montana. Our wonderful location is complemented by Chef Thomas Neukom's celebrated Alberta Rocky Mountain cuisine. His offerings feature locally raised meats, game & vegetables from farmers & producers who share his vision for sustainable high quality & close to home cuisine. To augment Chef Neukom's Canadian focused cuisine, The Lake House provides a variety of wine from some of the world's top producers. Our passion extends to many regions of the world, as we have sought to find some of the world's best producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant) - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant) reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (216)special occasion (181)neighborhood gem (130)romantic (129)fit for foodies (108)good for groups (83)notable wine list (78)great for brunch (64)great for lunch (57)great for outdoor dining (35)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (17)late-night find (12)Show More
- Friday August 29th.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Great dining experience, staff were attentive and friendly. Menu had a variety of selections for our entire group (9 people) Awesome environment and can't beat the views.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant. Nice view.Jessamae87Dined on 8/29/2014I love this restaurant. The food was good, Service was good. Good view as well as we were right by the window overlooking the Lake Bonavista. It was my first time visiting this restaurant and I will definitely would love to come back. The only reason I did not give it a 5-star is because I had to wait for approximately 40minutes to get my dessert (Sticky Toffee Pudding) which is way longer than expected. As my husband and I were in a rush that evening as we had a concert to catch, we opted out on the dessert. The downside was how long we had to wait for the dessert but the server gave us a complimentary glass of wine for the trouble. The ribeye steak and the halibut were delicious!Special Features:
- Great NightDaveDined on 8/28/2014Went with my with to celebrate our 43 anniversary. Food was great and the service excellent. The wine list was good but they were all out of my first 2 choices. Nice view of the Lake but shades had to be drawn to block the evening sun from other dinners. It's is indeed too bad they had to move from the old location. The new entrance and room lacks appeal. Overall we would return for the food and service which they nailed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last days of Summer LunchFoodieDined on 8/28/2014I met a girlfriend for lunch and it was just before school started. We had a window table and watch 3 young boys jumping off a pier and paddle boating. It was so much fun to watch while enjoying lunch with an old friend. Food wa great, service was great, and a change from the downtown scene.Special Features:
- Great EveningGerryDDined on 8/27/2014The view was great overlooking the lake. An evening out for an anniversary, it was a pleasurable experience, Food good, ambiance excellent. Service good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014A friend and I had lunch on the small deck. Best to reserve a spot there if the day is fine. Our glasses of wine were forgotten and came after the meal was served. I had asked for no cheese on my salad but they were quick at returning with a cheese-less salad. The chicken was thighs which were overdone for a sandwich. I would still return to try another meal. The waitress was attentive but I think they may have been short-staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we will be backk8tee20Dined on 8/24/2014My husband and I had a great time. Food was very good and our server Howard was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbGr8foodsDined on 8/24/2014Talented chefs...friendly service...stunning atmosphere! From appetizer to dessert we were not disappointed! Well worth spending extra $$ for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fussy Food for BrunchReviewerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very average yet fussy food. The restaurant is in the middle of a family neighbourhood but has very little on the brunch menu that is "expected". There should be a mix of gourmet/foody food and standard brunch fare. The smoked salmon benedict was flavourful - a bit too much dill, but the biscuits it was served with were dry. The bison hash was made of shredded bison meat and potato in a watery broth - the dish was more like soup. The blueberry "crostini" was a small tart with excellent gelato, but the portion was tiny. The desserts are not sharable. The server was pleasant and efficient, and the coffee was very, very good.Special Features:
- The perfect evening...MichelleCDined on 8/23/2014My partner and I had dinner in celebration of our birthdays which are only two days apart. I had heard of the Lake House but this was our first visit. When we arrived, we saw that there was a wedding party inside the restaurant and at first we were overwhelmed with the noise inside. Luckily, we were seated outside on the deck overlooking the lake. Outside it was much quieter. The temperature was cool, but we were provided with blankets and enjoyed the sunset over the lake while we dinned. The food and service was excellent. All in all, this was the perfect evening out. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food and service were great! Thank you Howard for a lovely dining experience. We met with another couple for a long-awaited visit. The weather was too cool to sit on the patio but we had a nice table in the corner with views of the lake. Food was very tasty - had the tomato salad, crab cakes, halibut and sticky toffee pudding - YUM! While it was energetic we found that we were able to visit without issue. Had been many years since we visited here and will certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lake House - superb diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The lovely view of Lake Bonavista and the rustic furniture really set the mood for this restaurant. A relaxed and peaceful atmosphere is maintained, even after the busy dinner rush arrives. Our server took very good care of us, making sure drinks were refilled and the food was to our liking. And what food! As we perused the menu, the server told us "you really can't go wrong with anything on there"... and I have to admit I was skeptical. Usually there are one or two items that the restaurant is known for and the rest of the menu is only decent. We started with the fish plank, savored the main courses (ribeye and bison ribs) and by the time we were sampling the creme brulee and sticky toffee, I was convinced. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent South End RestaurantDaveDined on 8/21/2014Food was delicious, very well presented. Service was very good. Prices same as downtown hot spots but interior is not as refined or having as much character. Being right on Lake Bonavista is nice. Furniture is dated. Chairs uncomfortable. All in all though, we did enjoy ourselves. And would go back there. Very convenient if you live in south Calgary.Special Features:
- vindineDined on 8/21/2014We went to The Lake House as we had both read a good write up in The Calgary Herald. We had been to the original Inn on Lake Bonavista and to the smaller, updated version. The food has always been good as well as the service. The building is mainly medical offices, which have taken away much of the original outdoor deck space. Since it was a rainy day, the indoors was quite welcoming with its large lit fireplace. As a negative, there is a peridonist's practice which comes smack up to behind The Lake House restaurant's bar. At the table, we were sitting at, you could actually view the patient being treated and the medical personnel. However, the food and wine were great and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Three of us went. One person was a chef from Vancouver. Service was excellent. Went on a Wednesday night. Had reserved a table by the window. We ordered appetizers. Every thing was very good except the Fresh Egg Pappardelle. There wasn't any lamb. For main course we had the duck, halibut and steak. they were cooked the way we wanted. The best part was the dessert. We had sticky toffee pudding, the warm Blueberry Crostata and the Creme Brulee. Everyone really enjoyed their desserts. At the beginning of the meal we were adventurous and had the Rocky mountain charcuterie board. We've never had game before. It was delicious .Especially the Boer pate and the salamis. We would go back again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingArobsDined on 8/19/2014Ever let's you down! Best food in the city! Great view amazing food and wonderful staff. This is by far one of Calgary's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serene lunchwine2dineVIPDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful location for a relaxing summer lunch. Food and service were, as is the norm, very good. Great service without being intrusive. A new favourite.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Food and service were great! tttu yt iadgdjljaksllfkkmk k'ad gjdklgj dsl' jgdad lkdsfgdalgkj adlgjjjaSpecial Features:
- better than expectedBrianDined on 8/15/2014food and wine was very good; service was great. we were a table of four but the restaurant looks like it could handle larger groups very well. I will be going back and hope to sit outside if the weather cooperates.Special Features:
- WonderfulCincanadaDined on 8/15/2014Our recent visit to The Lake House was a wonderful experience. The staff is so good and very attentive from the moment we walked in the door, until we left 3 hours later. We had a table over looking the lake which gave us a feeling like we were dining somewhere else. The food was delicious and good serving sizes. It is a bit "loud" but it would not deter us from going again.Special Features:
- Slow service, good fooddinner4twoDined on 8/14/2014Although we went on a week night, the service was slow, the waiter not as attentive like at other places. Overall dining experience was good. Excellent view of the lake. The oysters were small, if you charge $3.50 for each, make them big or add a few more on the plate. I had the scallops and they were cooked perfectly. My husband had the roasted wild boar and it was really good. Nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a lovely spot in the summerwjbeauchDined on 8/14/2014Good food, great ambience. Seemed like many good vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Fun Birthday LunchGypsyChefDined on 8/13/2014A beautiful spot to enjoy some good conversation and fine wine. I could say that I preferred the food when it was the Ranche better, but the menu changes often enough, that its hard not to love all the creative flair that they put into their delicious dishes. I am a huge fan of the CRMR group and all their establishments and I think their new property has a lot of potential to truly become another gem in their collection. Worth a visit, if only to enjoy the charcuterie board or poisson plank with a glass of wine while watching the world float by!Special Features:
- BdetteDined on 8/10/2014The four attending our Monthly Breakfast Club were delighted with the friendly and fun wait staff, the character of the Lake house as well as the flavorful & well-presented food. We discussed that the beautiful calm sunshiny summer morning, and the pleasure of each other’s company, was tipped over in to near 'Nirvana' as we enjoyed the tasty "Cinnamon Knots" dessert treat at the Lake House. Hint - "order one to take home too" ! Or simply go to back to The Lake House again. We certainly will !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurantDined on 8/9/2014My husband and nephews's meat was dry but they did not say anything. Mine was fine.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicegirldaysDined on 8/8/2014Great experience at the Lake House. The food was fantastic and the service was great. Would recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service - OK RestaurantMacBobDined on 8/7/2014Overall, we would rate this restaurant as good, nothing special. The entree (we both had seared fresh halibut) was very good, appetizers were okay (fish plate), wine list was average at best (they had one California chardonnay), however, our service was outstanding. Probably would not return for some time as much better restaurants throughout the City.Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We had a very nice evening celebrating our anniversary. Service was attentive and meal was very good.Special Features:
- Beautiful timeAjaxdinesDined on 8/2/2014The appetizers were great we had the heirloom tomato and the crab cakes. Nice balance of flavors in the tomato salad, crab cakes were good. Dinner was scallops witch were delicious and the caribou and bison the carbou was excellent cooked perfectly beautiful flavor the sauce was second to none, the bison was overcooked and a little dry, as was the succotash. Dessert was the sticky toffee pudding which was incredible and the chocolate semi freddo which was heavenly. The Caesar was very nice the basil was an interesting touch, the white wine was refreshing. The St ambrose oatmeal stout is possibly the best stout made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for special occassionsbluewagonDined on 7/30/2014We enjoyed a nice anniversary dinner here. The food was excellent. The location at Lake Bonavista has nice views from many of the tables. The restaurant is quite noisy due to all the hard surfaces - hardwood floors, wooden chairs, open ceiling - which takes away a bit from the ambiance. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rekindling romance in the City2funluvbirdsDined on 7/29/2014My partner and I chose this venue in celebration of our 2nd anniversary. As we are a senior couple, we found it very pleasing and romantic and the menu was also accommodating for our diet requirements. We were asked to sit in the bar area while our table was being prepared by the windows overlooking the Lake. The view was beautiful along with a breathtaking sunset, however, we were somewhat shaken up from the "Cirque de Soleil" performance it required to sit on the stools at the bar waiting for our table. We were also disappointed to discover that the Beef choices were not AAA especially for a fine dining restaurant such as the Lake house Restaurant. Apart from these two issues, our experience was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hide GemGoodfinds1Dined on 7/29/2014Loved it! The services was super! Food was great. We sat out side and it was perfect for a date night. Nice to have a downtown Resturant in the south.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The LakehouseklkfromkansascityVIPDined on 7/26/2014Beautiful restaurant. Excellent service. Food - meh. Boys both ordered a wild meat dish. Both complained their meal was incredibly tough. Duck and halibut dishes were delicious. Serving sizes small for 'manly' appetites. VERY loud. We were at a four top and had trouble hearing each other over the din of conversation in the restaurant. Desserts - delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I loved the food and the service was lovely but the room is too crowded and loud. I was surprised that there were no table clothes and didn't realize how relaxed the atmosphere would be. We were expecting more of a special occasion spot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014It is not a place to go to often because it is very expensive. But we really enjoyed our time. the halibut was excellent and the view was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent presentation, reasonable price. We had our wedding reception there ( Inn on Lake Bonavista ) and it was fun being back after so long. We won't wait 30 years again !Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Great food and service. Thank you Leanne, Basia, and Desiree... we had a great lunch and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on Lake BonavistaWinediner923VIPDined on 7/22/2014We had a table that was in the corner of the room so we could see the lake from two directions. It was a beautiful evening and the lake was calm and inviting; like being in the country. We shared the charcuterie platter, which we recommend that everyone try, and both had the duck breast which was done to perfection. The only hiccup was that my bottle of California Cabernet was served too warm so I had to have it placed in a wine bucket. It should have been served at cellar temperature. Great attentive service and all and all a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I took my friend to the Lakehouse for lunch the other day to celebrate her birthday. The new reno's are amazing and we had a delicious lunch. I will be bringing my husband next time for dinner! The setting is outstanding and the food was delicious, I am looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 7/21/2014Excellent food with small menu choice - but that was a good thing as our party tried various selections and all were delicious! Great service as well. Top of our list for a quality restaurant in the South.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.