The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
747 Lake Bonavista Drive SE
Calgary, AB T2J 0N2Neighborhood:
Wild GamePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lakehousecalgary.com/
- Phone: 4032253939x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am-2:00pm Lunch
Monday-Friday: 2:00pm-5:00pm Late Menu
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 12:00am Late Menu
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 1:30pm
Sunday: 1:30pm - 5:00pm Late Menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Neukom
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
Perched directly above Lake Bonavista with large glass windows overlooking the lake, The Lake House is home to one of Calgary’s finest & most creative restaurants as well as a unique setting for private events & weddings. Exuding rustic elegance, the interior is illuminated with ornate elk antler chandeliers & a grand fireplace. Catching your eye when you enter is a glass encased wine cellar & a refurbished bar from the 1800’s, previously housed in a mercantile shop in Montana. Our wonderful location is complemented by Chef Thomas Neukom's celebrated Alberta Rocky Mountain cuisine. His offerings feature locally raised meats, game & vegetables from farmers & producers who share his vision for sustainable high quality & close to home cuisine. To augment Chef Neukom's Canadian focused cuisine, The Lake House provides a variety of wine from some of the world's top producers. Our passion extends to many regions of the world, as we have sought to find some of the world's best producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant) - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant) reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (152)special occasion (128)romantic (98)neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (73)good for groups (61)notable wine list (61)great for outdoor dining (37)great for lunch (35)great for brunch (34)hot spot (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Great meal again. Oysters were outstanding (as were the crab cakes). Wild boar shoulder was so tender it fell apart with a fork. My wife had the salmon and thoroughly enjoyed it. And what better way to close things off than by having the chocolate pot (?). And the service was outstanding....will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, other issues though..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I came here last night for my birthday dinner with my parents. We've been here before, and really enjoyed ourselves last time. The manager, Desiree, called to confirm our reservation and even remembered we were celebrating a birthday. Good start. Our server was lovely. She always made sure our water and wine glasses were filled, and was polite and attentive. The food was excellent as usual. I did not receive anything for my birthday and the hostess blamed me because I did not order dessert. I did not realize I had to order dessert to get any recognition for my birthday. The way she spoke to us left a bad taste, which is a shame as we love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive--a glass of wine $15OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We both ordered quiche it was dry and over cooked. I have eaten here several times and never been disappointed. Prices are high for a light lunch also the wooden chairs are very uncomfortable. I am sure our lunch had been reheated--not what you expect at The Lake House. I would not recommend the restaurant highly based on our lunch!!!Special Features:
- Overall Amazing Place!AlyschristineDined on 10/15/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner. Not only were the staff extremely friendly and pleasent.. our server and the chef were both informed already about my allergies (Celiac / Lactose Intolerent). They were extremely careful and cautious in letting me know what I could and couldn't eat, and modified whichever entre I chose to suit my needs... VERY IMPRESSED! Will definitely come here again.Special Features:
- Best night everAyeshaeDined on 10/15/2014We were a group of 4 and was celebrating 2 birthdays. They started us off with some complimentary bubbly and an appetizer. The mains were fabulous, our server was exceptional. Two of us had desserts and the other two coffee, but they still gave a some chocolate and fruit for the 2 that did not order a dessert. The desserts were devine as well. Finally when the bill came, it was accompanies with 4 macarons , perfectly made and with mint chocolate in the middle. Yum. I would go here again any day. Thanks, we had a great time.Special Features:
- Excellent but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014We had a large group sitting near us that we're celebrating an upcoming wedding. The acoustics in the restaurant increased the volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealWoodOvenGuyVIPDined on 10/10/2014This is a wonderful restaurant with one of the most imaginative and well prepared menus in the city.Special Features:
- Poor valueNoshDined on 9/29/2014Very disappointed in the food. We used to love the Ranche but won't be returning to the Lake House. Extremely expensive for meadiocre food. There are lots of other places to eat -- why go here?Special Features:
- Excellent!JoJoYYCDined on 9/26/2014I have eaten brunch and now dinner at The Lake House. Highly recommend it for both. Good service and the food is wonderful. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Older dinersolderdinersDined on 9/24/2014Good food, attentive but not overwhelming service, comfortable chairs and a great view. The noise level was a little high making it hard to talk until a couple of large groups left. Some sound deadening measures would be good.Special Features:
- Noise LevelSuziQDined on 9/24/2014The restaurant was quite busy with a large group right down the middle of the restaurant, the noise level was unbearable. They were shouting at each other and so did everyone else have to shout to be heard. i wasn't sure why a group of that size wasn't put at the long table that is in the separate area. We literally had headaches when we left. The food was good, the service was good but I wouldn't recommend the place due to the noise level.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceBirthday25Dined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed a lovely evening on the deck while watching the sun set. A quiet way to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and servicefood4princessDined on 9/21/2014We came with 2 friend (table of 4 with reservations). We were pleased to be given a table by the window and enjoyed the view of the lake on this sunny fall day. The server was fabulous. Very attentive but not annoying. Friendly and knowledgeable about the menu as we had questions. 2 of the diners really enjoyed the eggs benedict (one with salmon and one with the ham). Both dishes were excellent and beautifully presented on hot plates! A rare treat. one person enjoyed the breakfast has that featured game meats and the other had a simple ham and tomato sandwich with sides. The cappuccino coffee was lovely. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday - seated in the West WingEatGreatFoodDined on 9/20/2014Far to noisy! We anticipated a comfortable dining experience and I definitely would return to try more dishes; but not on the night they are hosting a wedding. I suggest you ask if there is a special event before making your reservation. The curtain room divider does not even begin to disperse the cacaphony provided by the wedding party right next door. Romantic views, average/pricey wine selection, the cheese plate was by far the best (quantity and quality) we have had in the City.Special Features:
- Food and Staff top notch!SandiDined on 9/19/2014Excellent dinner (salmon with lobster dill mashed potatoes and wild boar shoulder with polenta were both so tasty). Menu has great variety with a good number of unique choices. The service was very good and I appreciated that I was advised early in the day of a large party happening that night in the main dining room which allowed me to reconsider or be prepared. The ambiance of overlooking the lake on a lovely fall evening was so nice as well.Special Features:
- LadieswholunchDined on 9/15/2014We went to the Lake House to celebrate a birthday. The food was amazing minus the hair in aioli. The server seemed more bothered that we told about it than its presence.(She did take 25% off the tab at the end without our asking) The restaurant is lovely, the chef talented, if not a bit expensive for the amount of food served. It was good for ladies, we were satisfied but I can't see a man filling up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationBrownGuyDined on 9/14/2014If you want waterfront dining in Calgary your choices are limited. We were lucky to have a warm summer evening on the patio over the lake. Service was awesome, enjoyed the wine. I've dined at CRMR restaurants before and I'm never disappointed, but I felt the food wasn't quite up to the usual high standard this time. I would still go again and recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!wine2dineVIPDined on 9/14/2014The Lake House is, quite simply, a wonderful place to dine, whether lunch, brunch or dinner! The sun was shinning on Sunday for our brunch and the food did not disappoint. Perfectly cooked Eggs Benedict and also Steak and Eggs. Well looked after by all the staff, especially Jessica and Rebecca. Staff is well trained and attentive without being intrusive. A favourite spot!Special Features:
- Great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Food was really good, not outstanding. I would recommend this place to couples and groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at LakehouseluvappiesDined on 9/11/2014Overpriced for portions provided - for example crab appetizer was extremely small for $17.00 Salad was mushy and not tasty. Quiche and soup was very good. Good wine selection.Special Features:
- Great place for a special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Beautiful view, we sat right on the water, on the deck. Our only complaint was that there was a wedding and the guests kept walking by our table on the small part of the deck interrupting our anniversary meal. They were all standing at the end corner of the deck but walked by about 20 times going back and forth to get drinks. It was honestly rude of them and quite obvious they were too loud and disruptive. I don't think the restaurant/bar was aware they were going to be coming in. But I would definitely go back to this restaurant and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night outUnhappywithnoiseDined on 9/4/2014We used to go to the Ranch for special occasions, so we thought we would try the Lake House as was supposed to be the same group. Our biggest disappointment was the noise, the rest was Ok.Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 9/4/2014Ambiance would be higher but my guest and I found the noise level distracting. We both enjoyed our visit - it was a special birthday celebration for a good friend. I know I will return. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Night out with HubbypepperDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I went to the Lake House for our Anniversary. We were surprised by the changes in atmosphere since the Lake House took over. It looked lovely. Our server was friendly and efficient. And the food was excellent! Everything was so delicious. We opted for a cheese platter for dessert and we were pleasantly surprised at the presentation and it was the best choice we could have made for a dessert! I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchCorvusDined on 9/3/2014Food is excellent, great menu, attentive service. Party of 6 had various menu choices, all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a viewfudlvrDined on 9/2/2014Went to the Lake House to celebrate a co-workers work anniversary. The restaurant was very quiet as it's kind of out of the way for business lunches; was nice that way as the waitress had only a few tables to attend to. She was exceptionally professional and very attentive. Our meals were all outstanding...my halibut on black caviar lentils was delicious. The only complaint from the three people that ordered the Steak & Frites was they thought the frites would be 'skinnier' and, as one of them put it, more 'ladylike'; that said I didn't see a single too-fat-manly frite left on any of their plates. The place has a wonderful upscale rustic charm and the view of the calm lake is really something...makes you feel like you've left the city.Special Features:
- Friday August 29th.DBM1960Dined on 8/29/2014Great dining experience, staff were attentive and friendly. Menu had a variety of selections for our entire group (9 people) Awesome environment and can't beat the views.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant. Nice view.Jessamae87VIPDined on 8/29/2014I love this restaurant. The food was good, Service was good. Good view as well as we were right by the window overlooking the Lake Bonavista. It was my first time visiting this restaurant and I will definitely would love to come back. The only reason I did not give it a 5-star is because I had to wait for approximately 40minutes to get my dessert (Sticky Toffee Pudding) which is way longer than expected. As my husband and I were in a rush that evening as we had a concert to catch, we opted out on the dessert. The downside was how long we had to wait for the dessert but the server gave us a complimentary glass of wine for the trouble. The ribeye steak and the halibut were delicious!Special Features:
- Great NightDaveDined on 8/28/2014Went with my with to celebrate our 43 anniversary. Food was great and the service excellent. The wine list was good but they were all out of my first 2 choices. Nice view of the Lake but shades had to be drawn to block the evening sun from other dinners. It's is indeed too bad they had to move from the old location. The new entrance and room lacks appeal. Overall we would return for the food and service which they nailed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last days of Summer LunchFoodieDined on 8/28/2014I met a girlfriend for lunch and it was just before school started. We had a window table and watch 3 young boys jumping off a pier and paddle boating. It was so much fun to watch while enjoying lunch with an old friend. Food wa great, service was great, and a change from the downtown scene.Special Features:
- Great EveningGerryDDined on 8/27/2014The view was great overlooking the lake. An evening out for an anniversary, it was a pleasurable experience, Food good, ambiance excellent. Service good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014A friend and I had lunch on the small deck. Best to reserve a spot there if the day is fine. Our glasses of wine were forgotten and came after the meal was served. I had asked for no cheese on my salad but they were quick at returning with a cheese-less salad. The chicken was thighs which were overdone for a sandwich. I would still return to try another meal. The waitress was attentive but I think they may have been short-staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we will be backk8tee20Dined on 8/24/2014My husband and I had a great time. Food was very good and our server Howard was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbGr8foodsDined on 8/24/2014Talented chefs...friendly service...stunning atmosphere! From appetizer to dessert we were not disappointed! Well worth spending extra $$ for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fussy Food for BrunchReviewerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very average yet fussy food. The restaurant is in the middle of a family neighbourhood but has very little on the brunch menu that is "expected". There should be a mix of gourmet/foody food and standard brunch fare. The smoked salmon benedict was flavourful - a bit too much dill, but the biscuits it was served with were dry. The bison hash was made of shredded bison meat and potato in a watery broth - the dish was more like soup. The blueberry "crostini" was a small tart with excellent gelato, but the portion was tiny. The desserts are not sharable. The server was pleasant and efficient, and the coffee was very, very good.Special Features:
- The perfect evening...MichelleCDined on 8/23/2014My partner and I had dinner in celebration of our birthdays which are only two days apart. I had heard of the Lake House but this was our first visit. When we arrived, we saw that there was a wedding party inside the restaurant and at first we were overwhelmed with the noise inside. Luckily, we were seated outside on the deck overlooking the lake. Outside it was much quieter. The temperature was cool, but we were provided with blankets and enjoyed the sunset over the lake while we dinned. The food and service was excellent. All in all, this was the perfect evening out. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food and service were great! Thank you Howard for a lovely dining experience. We met with another couple for a long-awaited visit. The weather was too cool to sit on the patio but we had a nice table in the corner with views of the lake. Food was very tasty - had the tomato salad, crab cakes, halibut and sticky toffee pudding - YUM! While it was energetic we found that we were able to visit without issue. Had been many years since we visited here and will certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lake House - superb diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The lovely view of Lake Bonavista and the rustic furniture really set the mood for this restaurant. A relaxed and peaceful atmosphere is maintained, even after the busy dinner rush arrives. Our server took very good care of us, making sure drinks were refilled and the food was to our liking. And what food! As we perused the menu, the server told us "you really can't go wrong with anything on there"... and I have to admit I was skeptical. Usually there are one or two items that the restaurant is known for and the rest of the menu is only decent. We started with the fish plank, savored the main courses (ribeye and bison ribs) and by the time we were sampling the creme brulee and sticky toffee, I was convinced. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent South End RestaurantDaveDined on 8/21/2014Food was delicious, very well presented. Service was very good. Prices same as downtown hot spots but interior is not as refined or having as much character. Being right on Lake Bonavista is nice. Furniture is dated. Chairs uncomfortable. All in all though, we did enjoy ourselves. And would go back there. Very convenient if you live in south Calgary.Special Features:
- vindineDined on 8/21/2014We went to The Lake House as we had both read a good write up in The Calgary Herald. We had been to the original Inn on Lake Bonavista and to the smaller, updated version. The food has always been good as well as the service. The building is mainly medical offices, which have taken away much of the original outdoor deck space. Since it was a rainy day, the indoors was quite welcoming with its large lit fireplace. As a negative, there is a peridonist's practice which comes smack up to behind The Lake House restaurant's bar. At the table, we were sitting at, you could actually view the patient being treated and the medical personnel. However, the food and wine were great and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.