The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
747 Lake Bonavista Drive SE
Calgary, AB T2J 0N2Neighborhood:
Wild GamePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lakehousecalgary.com/
- Phone: 4032253939x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am-2:00pm Lunch
Monday-Friday: 2:00pm-5:00pm Late Menu
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 12:00am Late Menu
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 1:30pm
Sunday: 1:30pm - 5:00pm Late Menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wild Game, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Neukom
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant)
Perched directly above Lake Bonavista with large glass windows overlooking the lake, The Lake House is home to one of Calgary’s finest & most creative restaurants as well as a unique setting for private events & weddings. Exuding rustic elegance, the interior is illuminated with ornate elk antler chandeliers & a grand fireplace. Catching your eye when you enter is a glass encased wine cellar & a refurbished bar from the 1800’s, previously housed in a mercantile shop in Montana. Our wonderful location is complemented by Chef Thomas Neukom's celebrated Alberta Rocky Mountain cuisine. His offerings feature locally raised meats, game & vegetables from farmers & producers who share his vision for sustainable high quality & close to home cuisine. To augment Chef Neukom's Canadian focused cuisine, The Lake House provides a variety of wine from some of the world's top producers. Our passion extends to many regions of the world, as we have sought to find some of the world's best producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant) - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
The Lake House (formerly The Ranche Restaurant) reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (179)special occasion (157)neighborhood gem (113)romantic (113)fit for foodies (92)good for groups (68)notable wine list (67)great for brunch (49)great for lunch (43)great for outdoor dining (36)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014We went to the Lake House to celebrate a birthday. The food was amazing minus the hair in aioli. The server seemed more bothered that we told about it than its presence.(She did take 25% off the tab at the end without our asking) The restaurant is lovely, the chef talented, if not a bit expensive for the amount of food served. It was good for ladies, we were satisfied but I can't see a man filling up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationBrownGuyDined on 9/14/2014If you want waterfront dining in Calgary your choices are limited. We were lucky to have a warm summer evening on the patio over the lake. Service was awesome, enjoyed the wine. I've dined at CRMR restaurants before and I'm never disappointed, but I felt the food wasn't quite up to the usual high standard this time. I would still go again and recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!wine2dineVIPDined on 9/14/2014The Lake House is, quite simply, a wonderful place to dine, whether lunch, brunch or dinner! The sun was shinning on Sunday for our brunch and the food did not disappoint. Perfectly cooked Eggs Benedict and also Steak and Eggs. Well looked after by all the staff, especially Jessica and Rebecca. Staff is well trained and attentive without being intrusive. A favourite spot!Special Features:
- Great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Food was really good, not outstanding. I would recommend this place to couples and groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at LakehouseluvappiesDined on 9/11/2014Overpriced for portions provided - for example crab appetizer was extremely small for $17.00 Salad was mushy and not tasty. Quiche and soup was very good. Good wine selection.Special Features:
- Great place for a special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Beautiful view, we sat right on the water, on the deck. Our only complaint was that there was a wedding and the guests kept walking by our table on the small part of the deck interrupting our anniversary meal. They were all standing at the end corner of the deck but walked by about 20 times going back and forth to get drinks. It was honestly rude of them and quite obvious they were too loud and disruptive. I don't think the restaurant/bar was aware they were going to be coming in. But I would definitely go back to this restaurant and highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night outUnhappywithnoiseDined on 9/4/2014We used to go to the Ranch for special occasions, so we thought we would try the Lake House as was supposed to be the same group. Our biggest disappointment was the noise, the rest was Ok.Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 9/4/2014Ambiance would be higher but my guest and I found the noise level distracting. We both enjoyed our visit - it was a special birthday celebration for a good friend. I know I will return. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Night out with HubbypepperDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I went to the Lake House for our Anniversary. We were surprised by the changes in atmosphere since the Lake House took over. It looked lovely. Our server was friendly and efficient. And the food was excellent! Everything was so delicious. We opted for a cheese platter for dessert and we were pleasantly surprised at the presentation and it was the best choice we could have made for a dessert! I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchCorvusDined on 9/3/2014Food is excellent, great menu, attentive service. Party of 6 had various menu choices, all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with a viewfudlvrDined on 9/2/2014Went to the Lake House to celebrate a co-workers work anniversary. The restaurant was very quiet as it's kind of out of the way for business lunches; was nice that way as the waitress had only a few tables to attend to. She was exceptionally professional and very attentive. Our meals were all outstanding...my halibut on black caviar lentils was delicious. The only complaint from the three people that ordered the Steak & Frites was they thought the frites would be 'skinnier' and, as one of them put it, more 'ladylike'; that said I didn't see a single too-fat-manly frite left on any of their plates. The place has a wonderful upscale rustic charm and the view of the calm lake is really something...makes you feel like you've left the city.Special Features:
- Friday August 29th.DBM1960Dined on 8/29/2014Great dining experience, staff were attentive and friendly. Menu had a variety of selections for our entire group (9 people) Awesome environment and can't beat the views.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant. Nice view.Jessamae87VIPDined on 8/29/2014I love this restaurant. The food was good, Service was good. Good view as well as we were right by the window overlooking the Lake Bonavista. It was my first time visiting this restaurant and I will definitely would love to come back. The only reason I did not give it a 5-star is because I had to wait for approximately 40minutes to get my dessert (Sticky Toffee Pudding) which is way longer than expected. As my husband and I were in a rush that evening as we had a concert to catch, we opted out on the dessert. The downside was how long we had to wait for the dessert but the server gave us a complimentary glass of wine for the trouble. The ribeye steak and the halibut were delicious!Special Features:
- Great NightDaveDined on 8/28/2014Went with my with to celebrate our 43 anniversary. Food was great and the service excellent. The wine list was good but they were all out of my first 2 choices. Nice view of the Lake but shades had to be drawn to block the evening sun from other dinners. It's is indeed too bad they had to move from the old location. The new entrance and room lacks appeal. Overall we would return for the food and service which they nailed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last days of Summer LunchFoodieDined on 8/28/2014I met a girlfriend for lunch and it was just before school started. We had a window table and watch 3 young boys jumping off a pier and paddle boating. It was so much fun to watch while enjoying lunch with an old friend. Food wa great, service was great, and a change from the downtown scene.Special Features:
- Great EveningGerryDDined on 8/27/2014The view was great overlooking the lake. An evening out for an anniversary, it was a pleasurable experience, Food good, ambiance excellent. Service good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014A friend and I had lunch on the small deck. Best to reserve a spot there if the day is fine. Our glasses of wine were forgotten and came after the meal was served. I had asked for no cheese on my salad but they were quick at returning with a cheese-less salad. The chicken was thighs which were overdone for a sandwich. I would still return to try another meal. The waitress was attentive but I think they may have been short-staffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we will be backk8tee20Dined on 8/24/2014My husband and I had a great time. Food was very good and our server Howard was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbGr8foodsDined on 8/24/2014Talented chefs...friendly service...stunning atmosphere! From appetizer to dessert we were not disappointed! Well worth spending extra $$ for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fussy Food for BrunchReviewerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Very average yet fussy food. The restaurant is in the middle of a family neighbourhood but has very little on the brunch menu that is "expected". There should be a mix of gourmet/foody food and standard brunch fare. The smoked salmon benedict was flavourful - a bit too much dill, but the biscuits it was served with were dry. The bison hash was made of shredded bison meat and potato in a watery broth - the dish was more like soup. The blueberry "crostini" was a small tart with excellent gelato, but the portion was tiny. The desserts are not sharable. The server was pleasant and efficient, and the coffee was very, very good.Special Features:
- The perfect evening...MichelleCDined on 8/23/2014My partner and I had dinner in celebration of our birthdays which are only two days apart. I had heard of the Lake House but this was our first visit. When we arrived, we saw that there was a wedding party inside the restaurant and at first we were overwhelmed with the noise inside. Luckily, we were seated outside on the deck overlooking the lake. Outside it was much quieter. The temperature was cool, but we were provided with blankets and enjoyed the sunset over the lake while we dinned. The food and service was excellent. All in all, this was the perfect evening out. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food and service were great! Thank you Howard for a lovely dining experience. We met with another couple for a long-awaited visit. The weather was too cool to sit on the patio but we had a nice table in the corner with views of the lake. Food was very tasty - had the tomato salad, crab cakes, halibut and sticky toffee pudding - YUM! While it was energetic we found that we were able to visit without issue. Had been many years since we visited here and will certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lake House - superb diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The lovely view of Lake Bonavista and the rustic furniture really set the mood for this restaurant. A relaxed and peaceful atmosphere is maintained, even after the busy dinner rush arrives. Our server took very good care of us, making sure drinks were refilled and the food was to our liking. And what food! As we perused the menu, the server told us "you really can't go wrong with anything on there"... and I have to admit I was skeptical. Usually there are one or two items that the restaurant is known for and the rest of the menu is only decent. We started with the fish plank, savored the main courses (ribeye and bison ribs) and by the time we were sampling the creme brulee and sticky toffee, I was convinced. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent South End RestaurantDaveDined on 8/21/2014Food was delicious, very well presented. Service was very good. Prices same as downtown hot spots but interior is not as refined or having as much character. Being right on Lake Bonavista is nice. Furniture is dated. Chairs uncomfortable. All in all though, we did enjoy ourselves. And would go back there. Very convenient if you live in south Calgary.Special Features:
- vindineDined on 8/21/2014We went to The Lake House as we had both read a good write up in The Calgary Herald. We had been to the original Inn on Lake Bonavista and to the smaller, updated version. The food has always been good as well as the service. The building is mainly medical offices, which have taken away much of the original outdoor deck space. Since it was a rainy day, the indoors was quite welcoming with its large lit fireplace. As a negative, there is a peridonist's practice which comes smack up to behind The Lake House restaurant's bar. At the table, we were sitting at, you could actually view the patient being treated and the medical personnel. However, the food and wine were great and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Three of us went. One person was a chef from Vancouver. Service was excellent. Went on a Wednesday night. Had reserved a table by the window. We ordered appetizers. Every thing was very good except the Fresh Egg Pappardelle. There wasn't any lamb. For main course we had the duck, halibut and steak. they were cooked the way we wanted. The best part was the dessert. We had sticky toffee pudding, the warm Blueberry Crostata and the Creme Brulee. Everyone really enjoyed their desserts. At the beginning of the meal we were adventurous and had the Rocky mountain charcuterie board. We've never had game before. It was delicious .Especially the Boer pate and the salamis. We would go back again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingArobsDined on 8/19/2014Ever let's you down! Best food in the city! Great view amazing food and wonderful staff. This is by far one of Calgary's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serene lunchwine2dineVIPDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful location for a relaxing summer lunch. Food and service were, as is the norm, very good. Great service without being intrusive. A new favourite.Special Features:
- Lake House BrunchREB2014Dined on 8/17/2014Surprisingly, this was the first time I had been to this restaurant. My friends and I have been doing brunch at various places all over the city, but have decided that this we be our going forward brunch meeting place. The food was very good and at a good price point as well. Loved the ambiance and decor. Overlooking water just has such a pleasant feel to it that you forget that you are in Calgary. Will be going again for sure.Special Features:
- Very good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Food and service were great! tttu yt iadgdjljaksllfkkmk k'ad gjdklgj dsl' jgdad lkdsfgdalgkj adlgjjjaSpecial Features:
- better than expectedBrianDined on 8/15/2014food and wine was very good; service was great. we were a table of four but the restaurant looks like it could handle larger groups very well. I will be going back and hope to sit outside if the weather cooperates.Special Features:
- WonderfulCincanadaDined on 8/15/2014Our recent visit to The Lake House was a wonderful experience. The staff is so good and very attentive from the moment we walked in the door, until we left 3 hours later. We had a table over looking the lake which gave us a feeling like we were dining somewhere else. The food was delicious and good serving sizes. It is a bit "loud" but it would not deter us from going again.Special Features:
- Slow service, good fooddinner4twoDined on 8/14/2014Although we went on a week night, the service was slow, the waiter not as attentive like at other places. Overall dining experience was good. Excellent view of the lake. The oysters were small, if you charge $3.50 for each, make them big or add a few more on the plate. I had the scallops and they were cooked perfectly. My husband had the roasted wild boar and it was really good. Nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a lovely spot in the summerwjbeauchDined on 8/14/2014Good food, great ambience. Seemed like many good vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Fun Birthday LunchGypsyChefDined on 8/13/2014A beautiful spot to enjoy some good conversation and fine wine. I could say that I preferred the food when it was the Ranche better, but the menu changes often enough, that its hard not to love all the creative flair that they put into their delicious dishes. I am a huge fan of the CRMR group and all their establishments and I think their new property has a lot of potential to truly become another gem in their collection. Worth a visit, if only to enjoy the charcuterie board or poisson plank with a glass of wine while watching the world float by!Special Features:
- BdetteDined on 8/10/2014The four attending our Monthly Breakfast Club were delighted with the friendly and fun wait staff, the character of the Lake house as well as the flavorful & well-presented food. We discussed that the beautiful calm sunshiny summer morning, and the pleasure of each other’s company, was tipped over in to near 'Nirvana' as we enjoyed the tasty "Cinnamon Knots" dessert treat at the Lake House. Hint - "order one to take home too" ! Or simply go to back to The Lake House again. We certainly will !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurantDined on 8/9/2014My husband and nephews's meat was dry but they did not say anything. Mine was fine.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicegirldaysDined on 8/8/2014Great experience at the Lake House. The food was fantastic and the service was great. Would recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service - OK RestaurantMacBobDined on 8/7/2014Overall, we would rate this restaurant as good, nothing special. The entree (we both had seared fresh halibut) was very good, appetizers were okay (fish plate), wine list was average at best (they had one California chardonnay), however, our service was outstanding. Probably would not return for some time as much better restaurants throughout the City.Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We had a very nice evening celebrating our anniversary. Service was attentive and meal was very good.Special Features: