The Kitchen Restaurant
2225 Hurley Way
Sacramento, CA 95825Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Kitchen Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thekitchenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (916) 568-7171
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: Doors Open at 6:30pm, Dinner Begins at 7:00; Friday - Saturday: Doors Open at 7:00pm, Dinner Begins at 7:30; Sunday: Doors Open at 5:00pm, Dinner Begins at 5:30. Please arrive within 15 minutes after our doors open to ensure the show starts on time.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Randall Selland
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer Private Party availability for the entire restaurant for your special occasion or business function. Smaller, semi-private tables may be available.
- Private Party Facilities: Reserve the entire restaurant exclusively for your event! The Kitchen is the crown jewel of the Selland Family and one of the most sought after reservations in the state. Our six-course Demonstration Dinners, prepared right before your eyes, are a feast for all the senses, and our award-winning wine list features the best in the state. Celebrated Chef and Owner Randall Selland, tailors the evening to your needs, sharing our open kitchen with you for speeches or presentations. Our Sommelier will also design a personalized beverage package. As a Private Party at The Kitchen, the entire restaurant is exclusively yours for the evening, with our expert staff of chefs and servers dedicated entirely to you and your guests. We offer our Private Party option for up to 56 people, perfect for business and convention groups, birthday and anniversary celebrations, and client or staff appreciation dinners. We will make your event a distinctive and singular success.
- Private Party Contact: Bobbie Chamberlin 9165687171x
- Entertainment: At The Kitchen, cooking is entertainment and food is the star. But our Executive Chef and Owner Randall Selland is the one who really puts on the show. Our unique format features the Chef in a sort of theater-in-the-round, where guests get a bird's eye view of all the mouthwatering culinary action. Chef Randall presents the evening's selection of ingredients and courses in an entertaining and informative discussion and is happy to chat with you throughout the night, answering questions and explaining techniques as he prepares your dinner.
- Special Events: Host your Private Party or Special Event at The Kitchen for the ultimate foodie dining experience. Treat your guests to an unforgettable evening of food, fun, and pampering hospitality and service catered to your needs. Call us for details: 916.568.7171
A word from The Kitchen Restaurant
Open Table Top 10 in nation for service. AAA Five Diamond Awarded, Semifinalist for James Beard Award. Located in America's Farm to Fork Capital, The Kitchen Restaurant is the most unique and exhilarating dining experience in all of California. Our renowned 6-course Demonstration Dinners feature Chef Randall Selland preparing a creative and sumptuous feast for all your senses right before your very eyes. Our amazing seasonal menus are just the beginning of an evening of fine food, and entertainment found nowhere else. The Kitchen blends the innovative cuisine, engaging entertainment, award winning wine list and genuine hospitality that have continued to make it one of the most sought after reservations in the state. Dinners are $135.00 per person and are by reservation only with limited seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Kitchen Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
The Kitchen Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)fit for foodies (46)notable wine list (36)romantic (21)good for groups (19)hot spot (9)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (1)Show More
- SuperbLananDined on 11/9/2014It was a special birthday celebration for me and I could not have been more delighted with the food, the entertainment value, the spectacle and the superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeeBackForDetailsDined on 11/9/2014The food was good but I do not reccomend the wine pairing. The wines seemed to be paired almost at random, and the sommeiler never explained why he paired a particlar wine with a dish. The point of a wine pairing is about the experience which should include a thoughtful analysis about why a particlar wine compliments a dish. For $166 for two people, we could've bought 3 or 4 bottles of wine and created our own pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something to experienceSactoFoodieDined on 11/8/2014The food and service were top notch. We sat at the "counter" so had a great view of the food prep and cooking. It did feel cramped there though. It was hard to get in and out my seat. Would have like a bit more elbow room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Event to Remembercloudwalker817Dined on 11/6/2014My husband and I recently dined at The Kitchen for our second time. Last year we went for our one year anniversary and this year we went to celebrate his 40th birthday, as it is a great place for a celebration. The experience has been memorable both times. The food is amazing. The atmosphere is fun and engaging. The service is exceptional. The price may not be for everyone, but the price is worth the experience. Chef Randall and his team are true professionals. If you have the opportunity to go, then go! You won't regret it!Special Features:
- Quite a ShowFrankinFairOaksVIPDined on 11/2/2014The showcase for the Selland group. Be prepared to spend over $400 for two. This isn't just for the food, but for the show itself and the ambience. For a special occasion or a celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal and entertainmentSacriderDined on 10/29/2014A multi course meal over 4.5 hours. Did the wine pairing and it was wonderful. Expensive evening, but well worth doing once a year or so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef is a winnerRMG11375VIPDined on 10/16/2014Randall has hired a new exec. chef to "headline the show" at the Kitchen. David Chavez, who created this month's menu, is a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missed restaurant!MsfoodieDined on 10/16/2014The lively demonstration kitchen features fresh, local and unique ingredients from the Sacramento Valley. Several courses and an intermission course with five stations of specialty food items. While expensive, it is worth every bite. Lovely patio with an inviting fireplace to enjoy. The service was attentive and the sommelier demonstrated his expertise in selecting a wine just for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarenKaren914Dined on 10/12/2014The food was fabulous. I really enjoyed watching the chef prepare the food and being able to ask questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatDined on 10/9/2014Unique dining experience with fantastic food and great, great service.Special Features:
- EricSDined on 10/9/2014This was my fourth visit to The Kitchen and each time it has been a pleasurable and amazing event. The Kitchen provides a dining experience that is unmatched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night to RemembergoodfoodfanDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I have looked forward to having dinner at The Kitchen for a long time. The evening did not disappoint. The food was spectacular and every staff member was both knowledgeable and helpful. We particularly relished the open kitchen concept. One is not often welcomed to wander about and ask questions. The experience will live in our memories forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to usual standardOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2014this was our 4th time at the Kitchen. Each time has been excellent. We particularly enjoyed Randall Selland and his attention to the patrons. The food and wine were exceptional. Our friends accompanying us had never been there before and were suitably impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner but a HIGH(!) priceNickVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food, wine, and service, were all really great at The Kitchen. I've had the great fortune of eating at many of the worlds top restaurants (if you believe certain critics), including 6 or 7 with 3 Michelin stars. While it's crazy to some, these experiences generally run $500-700 for a dinner for two, with wine. I was anticipating The Kitchen to be at the low end of that range, despite it's small city location and it's lack of the star "credentials." But dinner for two, with the reserve wine pairing, and a glass of sake for 2 was even pricier - and that was a BIG shock. Again, the food, wine, and service were all great - but not better than those 6 or 7 aforementioned restaurants (not even as good as). Yet still more expensive.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceMSAKDined on 9/21/2014If you love great food and you want to see how it's professionally plated and presented. This is the place for you. The interaction with the cooking staff is incredibly fun as well as educational. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeMikeDined on 9/13/2014I brought my wife to The Kitchen to celebrate her birthday. We had an amazing time! This was a very exciting dining experience, unlike anything we had ever experienced before. The food and wine was exceptional and we will definitely return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A foodie's dream nightfoodloverDined on 9/13/2014We had an amazing anniversary dinner at the Kitchen. The concept is so unique. Enter at 7pm, be shown your seat, order a glass of something, and then wander through the kitchen and speak to the chefs as they prep the courses (and hand you little bits of what they're chopping to taste), wander out into the beautiful courtyard, wine cellar, even the freezer and walk-in, if you want. The night then proceeds in "Acts", with the head chef as the "master of ceremonies, where the plating and delivery is just as much a part of the show as receiving your food- wonderful entertainment for people who love food and cooking. Oh, and the food? TO DIE FOR. Absolutely delicious, and stunning presentation. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one flawWineauxVIPDined on 8/31/2014The only flaw in this remarkable dining experience is that the Chef seems to insist on dropping an F-bomb into his patter. Twice now that has happened. Rude and crude, that word has no place in a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Save your money!Foodsnob76Dined on 8/29/2014The experience was ok. For > $500 I expected more. I live in SF and am accustomed to good food on the regular. A nice dinner out is $200-$250 for 2 and the quality of the food is superior in every way. The Kitchen is no more than a gimmick targeting birthday and anniversaries. The fact that's it's expensive does NOT make it a place worth going to. We went to Mulvaney's the next evening for $200 and loved it!
- Worth the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This restaurant has a big reputation around it and absolutely lives up to the hype. It is an experience like no other and meant for all kinds of food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must do this at least onceFuriousGeorgeDined on 8/23/2014The Kitchen has never ceased to amaze. From the moment you step in, until the end of the evening, you're treated exceedingly well by the entire staff. The restaurant is completely open and transparent with everything they do. Walk through the kitchen, ask anyone what they're preparing, how they're preparing it, etc. Each course in the single seating menu is just the right amount, so you're not overly-stuffed by the final entrée. And if you do want more (of any of the seven courses), just ask. The chef is always entertaining, and explains how the food is prepared. Everyone should try this place at least once. It's a bit pricey, so we only book on very special occasions, but it's definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumFoodieJuliaDined on 8/21/2014The Kitchen provides delicious food and outstanding service. It's not just a meal out, it's an evening experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Kitchen is the Place to Goluky4meDined on 8/15/2014Sacramento's finest service and dining. Marvelous staff and excellent food.. Everyone should experience The Kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Highly recommended a truly unique experience world class chef preparing a meal for you using imaginative and creative materials from local suppliers and fresh that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing else like it!NCfoodieDined on 8/7/2014This was our second experience dining at The Kitchen; the first was seven years ago in 2007 (Randall Selland himself was on hand that night). Although the chefs and kitchen staff have changed since 2007, our experience in 2014 was just as delectable and enjoyable as it was in 2007. The service ran like a well-choreographed play, where each player knew his or her role by heart, and was passionate about it. The staff went above and beyond our expectations to attend to one member of our party who had special dining needs that night. In sum: a unique format, stellar food, terrific service, and immaculate attention to detail (in both food and service). An experience not to be missed if you get the opportunity-- but make your reservations early!Special Features:
- Not The SameWillRunForFoodDined on 8/2/2014We love coming to the Kitchen for a special occasion but it is not the same since Noah left. There are some wonderful changes like the chef stations in the middle to sample food created but the assistant chefs. Love that! But the food itself just didn't give us the same wow factor as years in the past. Every time we use to go to the kitchen there would be at least one dish we would beg for seconds for. Noah's fun presentation was such that we would tell people the Kitchen is the best food experience we've ever had. We can't say that anymore (though still delicious-just not at the same caliber) and after all things were said in done… the $585 price tag for two people just wasn't worth it. We won't be going back for awhile.Special Features:
- The following 484 reviews are from the The Kitchen Restaurant reviews archive.
- an experienceLWT1VIPDined on 7/20/2014that is like going to the theatre including an intermission......fantastic....all seven courses....wine pairings....the staff was knowledgable and attentive....very special evening.
- Kitchen PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2014Chef Randall excelled filling in for vacationing head chef, new chef menu was perfect. Service was perfect. Portion size was perfect. I read a less-than enthusiastic review from the Sac Bee and am wondering if it was even from the same restaurant. You go to this restaurant expecting excellence and it has been consistently delivered all four times I have enjoyed it. If you want a cheap dinner and massive portions, go to Bucca De Beppa across the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFoodlover23Dined on 7/12/2014It was an amazing experience! The food was wonderful. We Will definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cm2eatDined on 7/10/2014I have been fortunate to have several great dining experiences, but The Kitchen stands out as perhaps the best. This is a special restaurant with one seating per evening for no more than 50 diners. There is no sign in front of the non-descript building; reservations several weeks or months in advance are required. The chef and the staff provide the entertainment as well as the sumptuous food, explaining the dishes being served and the ingredients, many of which are fresh from nearby farms and markets. Excellent wine pairings are suggested for each course. The dining experience takes about three hours, but there is never an idle moment. This is a dining experience not to be missed!Special Features:
- great dining experiencefsfnatDined on 7/6/2014We will never forget this dining experience....kind of like a foodie adventure. Had a great time! Probably ate a little too much and maybe it was a tad long....and when the cc bill comes I am sure I will cringe but then it will be followed by a smile as I lick my lips and remember how amazing the food was.....and my company of course! Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2014Dining at The Kitchen is more than a meal….it's an entertainment experience. Wonderful food and service, and totally unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinggrace17Dined on 6/22/2014Everything was absolutely amazing! The food was unbelievable and the staff spoiled us with their above and beyond attention. My husband was worried about spending three and four hours there but he wound up loving it and enjoyed the freedom of moving around and visiting the kitchen. We both have not stopped talking about our incredible evening.Special Features:
- The KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2014Second time there. This time also took my daughter & son in law who are also terrific cooks. We were afraid we had over hyped it in describing our first experience that was so fantastic but they were amazed at the quality of food, prep, presentation, service and the entire experience. Highly recommend it for that special night out. Be prepared for a long, leisurely evening that passes quickly. 4 1/2 hours that flew by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurleyfanDined on 5/29/20144th time at the Kitchen and possibly the best.....just love the vibe and presentation...The change from the sushi only intermission to the 5 sam,pling tables was a real improvement and Chef John has really assumed a grasp on what he wants to do...just an awesome evening start to finishSpecial Features:
- Fabulous Experience!!!FabulousDined on 5/16/2014What an experience!!! Great place for very special occassions!Special Features:
- tHE kITCHENEnglanderReviewDined on 5/11/2014Unique experience but very expensive. Did not live up to our first experience as service was luck-luster...our waitress was changed half way through the evening and there was confusion about who was taking care of us...we were rarely asked if we were OK and I had to struggle to get an extra glass of wine (from another waiter) and a re-taste. If you go get seating next to the prep station to have the best viewing experience. I'd have given 5 stars for the food because most of it was exceptional but the risotto I got was a bit hard...I would have pointed it out to the server and gotten a replacement plate but like I said...our server moved and getting attention was an isssue. Those around us had a terrific time! Fab for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing EveningStanandKatharineDined on 4/23/2014It was our first dinner at The Kitchen and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service saves the dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014There was a group of 30 just despicable cretins celebrating a birthday party. They snuck in Coors Light cans and were noticeably intoxicated before they arrived. One woman about 50 years old passed out face down on the table about an hour in. They were rudely disrespectful to the chef, loudly carrying on with their drunken revelry while the chef was trying to present. While I do think The Kitchen should have removed these people, their handling of the evening in spite of it saved the night. The attention to detail the staff brings from the chefs to the sommollieurs to the hosts & management, every employee did an exceptional job in the face of these atrocious guests. It was an overall good experience thanks to the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hustle and BustleBirthdayGirlDined on 4/18/2014We went to The Kitchen for my birthday. The atmosphere was very festive. The food was unusual and presented in a way that I had to try it. The presetation was beautiful. I had read reviews prior to going and was pleased to see that the issue about the inclusion of a tip was addressed through highlights and notes on the bill. I appreciate knowing customers are heard. There was obvious accommodations made for different diet issues such as vegetarian and gluten free, which, again, is good to know and see the effort. We sat at the bar area around the chef's kitchen and it was a tight squeeze, elbow to elbow. There was a lot going on in the kitchen which made it seem more crowded. The chairs had no padding. Uncomfortable after 4 hours.Special Features: