The Kitchen Restaurant
2225 Hurley Way
Sacramento, CA 95825Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Kitchen Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thekitchenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9165687171x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: Doors Open at 6:30pm, Dinner Begins at 7:00; Friday - Saturday: Doors Open at 7:00pm, Dinner Begins at 7:30; Sunday: Doors Open at 5:00pm, Dinner Begins at 5:30. Please arrive within 15 minutes after our doors open to ensure the show starts on time.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Randall Selland
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer Private Party availability for the entire restaurant for your special occasion or business function. Smaller, semi-private tables may be available.
- Private Party Facilities: Reserve the entire restaurant exclusively for your event! The Kitchen is the crown jewel of the Selland Family and one of the most sought after reservations in the state. Our six-course Demonstration Dinners, prepared right before your eyes, are a feast for all the senses, and our award-winning wine list features the best in the state. Celebrated Chef and Owner Randall Selland, tailors the evening to your needs, sharing our open kitchen with you for speeches or presentations. Our Sommelier will also design a personalized beverage package. As a Private Party at The Kitchen, the entire restaurant is exclusively yours for the evening, with our expert staff of chefs and servers dedicated entirely to you and your guests. We offer our Private Party option for up to 56 people, perfect for business and convention groups, birthday and anniversary celebrations, and client or staff appreciation dinners. We will make your event a distinctive and singular success.
- Private Party Contact: Bobbie Chamberlin 9165687171x
- Entertainment: At The Kitchen, cooking is entertainment and food is the star. But our Executive Chef and Owner Randall Selland is the one who really puts on the show. Our unique format features the Chef in a sort of theater-in-the-round, where guests get a bird's eye view of all the mouthwatering culinary action. Chef Randall presents the evening's selection of ingredients and courses in an entertaining and informative discussion and is happy to chat with you throughout the night, answering questions and explaining techniques as he prepares your dinner.
- Special Events: Host your Private Party or Special Event at The Kitchen for the ultimate foodie dining experience. Treat your guests to an unforgettable evening of food, fun, and pampering hospitality and service catered to your needs. Call us for details: 916.568.7171
A word from The Kitchen Restaurant
Open Table Top 10 in nation for service. AAA Five Diamond Awarded, Semifinalist for James Beard Award. Located in America's Farm to Fork Capital, The Kitchen Restaurant is the most unique and exhilarating dining experience in all of California. Our renowned 6-course Demonstration Dinners feature Chef Randall Selland preparing a creative and sumptuous feast for all your senses right before your very eyes. Our amazing seasonal menus are just the beginning of an evening of fine food, and entertainment found nowhere else. The Kitchen blends the innovative cuisine, engaging entertainment, award winning wine list and genuine hospitality that have continued to make it one of the most sought after reservations in the state. Dinners are $135.00 per person and are by reservation only with limited seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Kitchen Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
The Kitchen Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)notable wine list (29)fit for foodies (28)romantic (17)good for groups (11)hot spot (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A foodie's dream nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We had an amazing anniversary dinner at the Kitchen. The concept is so unique. Enter at 7pm, be shown your seat, order a glass of something, and then wander through the kitchen and speak to the chefs as they prep the courses (and hand you little bits of what they're chopping to taste), wander out into the beautiful courtyard, wine cellar, even the freezer and walk-in, if you want. The night then proceeds in "Acts", with the head chef as the "master of ceremonies, where the plating and delivery is just as much a part of the show as receiving your food- wonderful entertainment for people who love food and cooking. Oh, and the food? TO DIE FOR. Absolutely delicious, and stunning presentation. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one flawWineauxVIPDined on 8/31/2014The only flaw in this remarkable dining experience is that the Chef seems to insist on dropping an F-bomb into his patter. Twice now that has happened. Rude and crude, that word has no place in a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Save your money!Foodsnob76Dined on 8/29/2014The experience was ok. For > $500 I expected more. I live in SF and am accustomed to good food on the regular. A nice dinner out is $200-$250 for 2 and the quality of the food is superior in every way. The Kitchen is no more than a gimmick targeting birthday and anniversaries. The fact that's it's expensive does NOT make it a place worth going to. We went to Mulvaney's the next evening for $200 and loved it!
- Worth the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This restaurant has a big reputation around it and absolutely lives up to the hype. It is an experience like no other and meant for all kinds of food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must do this at least onceFuriousGeorgeDined on 8/23/2014The Kitchen has never ceased to amaze. From the moment you step in, until the end of the evening, you're treated exceedingly well by the entire staff. The restaurant is completely open and transparent with everything they do. Walk through the kitchen, ask anyone what they're preparing, how they're preparing it, etc. Each course in the single seating menu is just the right amount, so you're not overly-stuffed by the final entrée. And if you do want more (of any of the seven courses), just ask. The chef is always entertaining, and explains how the food is prepared. Everyone should try this place at least once. It's a bit pricey, so we only book on very special occasions, but it's definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumFoodieJuliaDined on 8/21/2014The Kitchen provides delicious food and outstanding service. It's not just a meal out, it's an evening experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Kitchen is the Place to Goluky4meDined on 8/15/2014Sacramento's finest service and dining. Marvelous staff and excellent food.. Everyone should experience The Kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Highly recommended a truly unique experience world class chef preparing a meal for you using imaginative and creative materials from local suppliers and fresh that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing else like it!NCfoodieDined on 8/7/2014This was our second experience dining at The Kitchen; the first was seven years ago in 2007 (Randall Selland himself was on hand that night). Although the chefs and kitchen staff have changed since 2007, our experience in 2014 was just as delectable and enjoyable as it was in 2007. The service ran like a well-choreographed play, where each player knew his or her role by heart, and was passionate about it. The staff went above and beyond our expectations to attend to one member of our party who had special dining needs that night. In sum: a unique format, stellar food, terrific service, and immaculate attention to detail (in both food and service). An experience not to be missed if you get the opportunity-- but make your reservations early!Special Features:
- Not The SameWillRunForFoodDined on 8/2/2014We love coming to the Kitchen for a special occasion but it is not the same since Noah left. There are some wonderful changes like the chef stations in the middle to sample food created but the assistant chefs. Love that! But the food itself just didn't give us the same wow factor as years in the past. Every time we use to go to the kitchen there would be at least one dish we would beg for seconds for. Noah's fun presentation was such that we would tell people the Kitchen is the best food experience we've ever had. We can't say that anymore (though still delicious-just not at the same caliber) and after all things were said in done… the $585 price tag for two people just wasn't worth it. We won't be going back for awhile.Special Features:
- an experienceLWT1VIPDined on 7/20/2014that is like going to the theatre including an intermission......fantastic....all seven courses....wine pairings....the staff was knowledgable and attentive....very special evening.
- Kitchen PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2014Chef Randall excelled filling in for vacationing head chef, new chef menu was perfect. Service was perfect. Portion size was perfect. I read a less-than enthusiastic review from the Sac Bee and am wondering if it was even from the same restaurant. You go to this restaurant expecting excellence and it has been consistently delivered all four times I have enjoyed it. If you want a cheap dinner and massive portions, go to Bucca De Beppa across the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFoodlover23Dined on 7/12/2014It was an amazing experience! The food was wonderful. We Will definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cm2eatDined on 7/10/2014I have been fortunate to have several great dining experiences, but The Kitchen stands out as perhaps the best. This is a special restaurant with one seating per evening for no more than 50 diners. There is no sign in front of the non-descript building; reservations several weeks or months in advance are required. The chef and the staff provide the entertainment as well as the sumptuous food, explaining the dishes being served and the ingredients, many of which are fresh from nearby farms and markets. Excellent wine pairings are suggested for each course. The dining experience takes about three hours, but there is never an idle moment. This is a dining experience not to be missed!Special Features:
- great dining experiencefsfnatDined on 7/6/2014We will never forget this dining experience....kind of like a foodie adventure. Had a great time! Probably ate a little too much and maybe it was a tad long....and when the cc bill comes I am sure I will cringe but then it will be followed by a smile as I lick my lips and remember how amazing the food was.....and my company of course! Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2014Dining at The Kitchen is more than a meal….it's an entertainment experience. Wonderful food and service, and totally unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinggrace17Dined on 6/22/2014Everything was absolutely amazing! The food was unbelievable and the staff spoiled us with their above and beyond attention. My husband was worried about spending three and four hours there but he wound up loving it and enjoyed the freedom of moving around and visiting the kitchen. We both have not stopped talking about our incredible evening.Special Features:
- The KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2014Second time there. This time also took my daughter & son in law who are also terrific cooks. We were afraid we had over hyped it in describing our first experience that was so fantastic but they were amazed at the quality of food, prep, presentation, service and the entire experience. Highly recommend it for that special night out. Be prepared for a long, leisurely evening that passes quickly. 4 1/2 hours that flew by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurleyfanDined on 5/29/20144th time at the Kitchen and possibly the best.....just love the vibe and presentation...The change from the sushi only intermission to the 5 sam,pling tables was a real improvement and Chef John has really assumed a grasp on what he wants to do...just an awesome evening start to finishSpecial Features:
- The following 475 reviews are from the The Kitchen Restaurant reviews archive.
- Fabulous Experience!!!FabulousDined on 5/16/2014What an experience!!! Great place for very special occassions!Special Features:
- tHE kITCHENEnglanderReviewDined on 5/11/2014Unique experience but very expensive. Did not live up to our first experience as service was luck-luster...our waitress was changed half way through the evening and there was confusion about who was taking care of us...we were rarely asked if we were OK and I had to struggle to get an extra glass of wine (from another waiter) and a re-taste. If you go get seating next to the prep station to have the best viewing experience. I'd have given 5 stars for the food because most of it was exceptional but the risotto I got was a bit hard...I would have pointed it out to the server and gotten a replacement plate but like I said...our server moved and getting attention was an isssue. Those around us had a terrific time! Fab for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing EveningStanandKatharineDined on 4/23/2014It was our first dinner at The Kitchen and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional service saves the dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014There was a group of 30 just despicable cretins celebrating a birthday party. They snuck in Coors Light cans and were noticeably intoxicated before they arrived. One woman about 50 years old passed out face down on the table about an hour in. They were rudely disrespectful to the chef, loudly carrying on with their drunken revelry while the chef was trying to present. While I do think The Kitchen should have removed these people, their handling of the evening in spite of it saved the night. The attention to detail the staff brings from the chefs to the sommollieurs to the hosts & management, every employee did an exceptional job in the face of these atrocious guests. It was an overall good experience thanks to the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hustle and BustleBirthdayGirlDined on 4/18/2014We went to The Kitchen for my birthday. The atmosphere was very festive. The food was unusual and presented in a way that I had to try it. The presetation was beautiful. I had read reviews prior to going and was pleased to see that the issue about the inclusion of a tip was addressed through highlights and notes on the bill. I appreciate knowing customers are heard. There was obvious accommodations made for different diet issues such as vegetarian and gluten free, which, again, is good to know and see the effort. We sat at the bar area around the chef's kitchen and it was a tight squeeze, elbow to elbow. There was a lot going on in the kitchen which made it seem more crowded. The chairs had no padding. Uncomfortable after 4 hours.Special Features:
- OutstandinggladysostoneDined on 4/11/2014The Kitchen never fails to entertain and serve great food. The new chef is very good.Special Features:
- Simply AwesomefiestamanDined on 4/10/2014It was a very surreal experience, the food, wine and staff were exceptional. I highly recommend The Kitchen, especially for a romantic dinner, but if you don't mind the price, then go as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticJaredDined on 3/30/2014Very well done wine pairing, superb service, and tantalizing dishes. Intermission is always a fun bonus. A real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous minisdeejayDined on 3/21/2014It was a GREAT experience for our special occasion, to receive what appeared to be mini meals served in courses and with such careful attention to the details of each dish. In actuality it was more than enough food and variety. Each course was served with exquisite preparation. We loved the interactivity with chefs/staff, this is not common. Advice: Don't plan additional acitivities because the entire dinner will consist of at least 3 hours, this may sound like a long time but it will keep you intrigued.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showWineauxVIPDined on 3/13/2014What's not to like about dining at The Kitchen? The staff is friendly, you can wander around in the prep area and talk to them, or check out the wine cellar to discover that bottle you have really wanted to taste but could not fine at BevMo. The food focus is on flavor, not gigantic portions. You will get plenty to eat over the four hours you will spend there, and go away satisfied but not stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabuloushappyDined on 3/6/2014wonderful experience beautiful setting seats at the counter were perfect in order to watch meticulous preparation of each plate chef explained each course intermezzo was fun since we could wander from station to station for scrumptious tidbitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to love the KitchenluvgoodfoodDined on 3/6/2014Worst experience that I have ever had at the Kitchen. Miss Randall as the Chef !! Would not go back unless they get rid of the new Chef. It is no longer a memorable dining experience!Special Features:
- Every bit as good as the hypeScottDined on 3/2/2014Quite simply, the best dining experience we have ever had. The food is too good to be true, the portion size is perfect and you leave full but not stuffed, the service is warm, personal, and makes you feel like you are part of their family, and the wine and beer list is truly top notch. Not cheap but worth every single penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Everything we heard about "The Kitchen" was true. Food was outstanding all the way thru dessert! We thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening. All the employees were very gracious and knowledgeable! The vibe in the room made it an exciting experience. Hopefully, we will get to enjoy another dinner experience. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2014I'm glad we went to the Kitchen, I think it was way over priced for what you got. Would I do it again, no. I totally enjoyed watching the chef fix the plates. That part was amazing. I don't mind paying for a glass of good wine...if you get a glass not a sip!! .Special Features:
- Special night with friendsMikeDined on 2/13/2014We had a great night with special friends. The evening was filled with great food and entertainment! Would recommend an evening at the Kitchen to all at least one time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noT a good experienceBADDDined on 2/12/2014I expected to be entertained by the preparation of the meal. instead what i found was pre prepared meal in plastic bags that were opened and reheated. not a good experience for $600+ dollars for two.Special Features:
- Incredible!strydaDined on 2/9/2014This was the first time my wife and I had been to the Kitchen, but it certainly won't be the last! It was a little diffcult to find, as it's not well marked, but if you are using navigation, trust the address. When you pull around to the back of the building, you will see the white curtain hanging over the door, and you're there! The way that our meal was presented and served, was very entertaining. It's interesting to watch and learn about how the food was obtained, how it is normally used in terms of practical application, and how it will be used this time. There were a couple items that are often used as a low income staple, but once the chef's get an opportunity to work with those ingredients, the outcome is incredibly delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Asst. Cooks' small dishes!AlwaysElegantDined on 2/5/2014The meats were top of the line and cooked in such a way as to bring out the best in them. The vegetables were merely salted and cooked in lots of butter without herbs to add depth and interest. Just caramelized in butter and lots of it. The meat was also caramelized in butter. Overall, lots of butter was used. The chef used various types of citrus (also in season) I think to cut some of the heaviness of the butter, but it too, was caramelized so the effort was really wasted because it just tasted bitter. We purchased two half-flights of wine. The wine added no synergy to the food, except for the cabernet which was so blackberry and tannic that it seemed past its prime. The asst. cooks' small dishes added all the variety & interest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!LuvGreatFoodVIPDined on 1/24/2014Enjoyed a fantastic evening at The Kitchen - our absolute favorite "special event" restaurant. The incredible quality of the meals and the caliber of the service can't be matched. The Chef, John, was new to us (since our last visit). We were impressed by a couple of things that seemed different: even more meticulous care (by all the staff) in plating/garnishing each course, and a lighter hand with the salt (thank you!). They were incredible at accommodating my husband's need for a gluten-free meal - always a challenge with set menus. They even provided outstanding gluten free bread. A very special evening and well-worth the splurge. Better than the high-end restaurants we recently dined at in NYC (and no airfare!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just a DinnerBMaiDined on 1/19/2014It was just a really fun experience. The way they introduced each Acts was really unique and there's so much variety on how you want to approach the night. Even talking to all the chefs and employees was fun. Great service, great food, what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.