The King's Kitchen
129 West Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The King's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kingskitchen.org/
- Phone: 7043751990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Southern
- Executive Chef: Jesse Spann
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The King's Kitchen
The King's Kitchen is a not for profit restaurant that fuels economic vitality, growth in Charlotte's Center City and the greater metropolitan area creating jobs and supporting community development. First, the restaurant will employ a segment of our community that is considered unemployable, from people who have come out of prison and rehab, to youths that are at high risk from dropping out of school. Once employed, they will receive training to run a full service restaurant from the front of the house to the back. They will also receive leadership and spiritual training as well in order to gain the life skills that are necessary to be successful in today's job market. Secondly, the profits from The King's Kitchen will provide funds and/or foods for established feeding centers in the community to provide meals for those in need. Designed to operate profitably, all profits will be used to help feed the hungry here in Charlotte, surrounding areas and in other parts of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The King's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (29)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)great for lunch (15)special occasion (12)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (7)romantic (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Pros and ConsChrisDanGDined on 8/25/2014The food is outstanding but pricey. Any changes to what is listed comes with an additional charge. Fun to try though and make your own decision!
- tsandyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Another of Jim Noble's gems. Most importantly beyond the great food the staff are being given a chance to make a difference and have a food industry career that many otherwise would not have had. Thanks Jim.Special Features:
- Great food with purposeLisaDined on 8/15/2014The food was wonderful. We love how Jim Noble gives back to the community thru King's Kitchen. We will be back and would recommend others give it a trySpecial Features:
- Good.LottyDined on 8/15/2014Just a quick review... We loved the kindness and professionalism. We loved the sincerity. Atmosphere was very nice. Dress up, dress down or somewhere in the middle. The food was very good. Not excellent but very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Manager!!PunwilliamsDined on 8/13/2014The great service given by the manager Steve saved this so-so experience!! The cold food and slow service were enough to keep me from returning, but the effort given by Steve to compensate for the lack of quality won me over. I will return, only in part to the service and belief that this guy will be making improvements. I appreciated his attitude and work ethic to make this experience better than it would have been without his intervention.Special Features:
- Good food for a good causeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I always enjoy dining here knowing what the restaurant supports.Special Features:
- Great food for a great causeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We enjoyed the wonderful food and are happy to support the cause. We will be visiting again next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceImpressedDined on 7/31/2014I had heard about the Kings Kitchen and have been wanting to try it out for quite some time. Finally the opportunity presented itself. I was truly impressed with the service and friendly wait staff and management. We never wanted for attention. My group felt well cared for and really enjoyed everything from appetizers to the entrée to dessert and the wine. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Dinner to Talk AboutMikePDined on 7/29/2014While not an extensive menu, there was more than enough to choose from and the food was outstanding. As first time diners we were all very impressed with the quality of food. Many thanks!Special Features:
- We will be leaving Charlotte soonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Our daughter will be moving yo NYC soon, and we will not be in Charlottee very often. We will miss our special dinners at Kings Kitchen the most.Special Features:
- donuDonaUVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great food, service...would go back everytime in charlotteI would recommend this to a friend.
- Glenda PworthwaitingDined on 7/18/2014This was my first visit to King's Kitchen. I really did not know what to expect. The food was far better than I could have imagined. There were 8 plus a toddler in our group. We all were more than pleased with the presentation and taste of our food. My only hesitation in giving a perfect score comes from the slower than hoped for service. We were a large group and it was a Friday night. However, we were there at 6:00, what I thought would be ahead of the rush. My daughter has eaten there several times before and said she has never had slow service before, so I'll chaulk it up to a busier than expected night. I will absolutely go again and will highly recommend others to do so. The food was worth the wait!!!
- Good in all waysgreelex0514Dined on 7/15/2014The food was fresh, delicious and served hot. Wait staff was personable and anticipated our needs. Prices were excellent. The fact that profits are plowed back into serving economically challenged Charlotteans made the food taste even better. Every city should have restaurants like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivineBelieverDined on 7/12/2014When you go out to eat, it can be s selfish experience. When you give to someone...selfless. When you combine the two, with heavenly tasting cuisine; its like three entities in one, and its divine at Kings KitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Needs Service attentionFirsttimedinersDined on 7/12/2014First time there to entertain out of town clients. Great appreciation for the purpose of the restaurant and understand that many servers/chefs are in training. However, quite a disconnect timing of the food. Even with a reservation, it took quite a while for our order to be taken. We opted not to even let the waiter open the second bottle since we were finished with the meal. Our waiter was truly trying but seemed lost and could use some guidance with timing the meal. Kitchen out of several dishes; up-charged us on the side items, embarrassing us and the waiter who had to tell us in front of our guest about the up-charges. With such a great restaurant and superb location, there are rough edges and the bar could do with some ambiance.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceFromCharlotteDined on 7/12/2014It was a busy night and hard to get reservations elsewhere yet they still made room and gave us the private table that sat all 8 of us comfortably. The food was very good as was the service. I plan to come back to try some of the other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary GemFortMillFoodDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I went for our Anniversary. The food was great. The staff was fast and efficient. The atmosphere and view on downtown Charlotte was the best. While there were several events going on and the restaurant was busy we member lacked for anything and when we got our food, it was amazing. I will be back. Overall a great place.Special Features:
- Deserving and DeliciousHJVinoDined on 6/28/2014The King's Kitchen is deserving of everyone's business. Aside from serving delicious Southern cooking, their mission helps those in need. The service is always wonderful and we have never had to wait to be seated. My favorite is the fried chicken, buttered beans, mashed potatoes and gravy and the creamed corn with corn bread on the side.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableFoodieboo7Dined on 6/26/2014It was relaxed and enjoyable. Great southern food and a great work concept!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatsyDined on 6/21/2014King's Kitchen provides a very pleasant dining experience along with delicious food. Plus, I like the mission of supporting local farms and providing jobs to those re-entering the marketplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!JaneDined on 6/20/2014Fried chicken and pot roast are both highly recommended. The butter bourbon pudding was delicious as well.Special Features:
- Southern charmlibbylouDined on 6/20/2014Have not eaten "southern" cuisine out before... and it was delicious. Had the shrimp and grits, and my friend had the pot roast. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Great food and service. Sorry to see you had a B sanitary rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRetired1949Dined on 6/14/2014This restaurant has changed dramatically since we were last there. The vegetables were not good, the portions were very small and the desserts were not appealing as they had been in the past. We were very disappointed and will not return---very pricey considering the selection, quality, and portion size. The restaurant was so noisy we could not carry on a conversation at our table without shouting. Also, if the lights were dimmed, it would greatly improve the ambience.
- Uptown-Dinner Before PlayLemonzestDined on 6/13/2014King's Kitchen was perfect for dinner before an uptown play performance! Reservations made it a quick seating. Menu was varied and we enjoyed the emphasis on local. Ravs from our party of four for for seafood, pork roast, and veggies. Wait staff attentive of wine selections....and especially helpful to our time schedule. KK remains a favorite!!Special Features:
- Saved by King's KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014I was so disappointed by battered and fried food in Charlotte until I went here. THIS is what southern food should be, not the overcooked workshops. The fried oysters were divine, the sweet potato fritters delightful and I had a remarkable southern style risotto with ham that was sublime. Until I went to King's Kitchen, I was ready to settle for franchise food just to get a salad. And to top it all off, it's a non-profit organization that provides job-training and is locally sourced. I was delighted and impressed with this establishment.Special Features:
- Great ConceptLadyDiVIPDined on 6/11/2014King's Kitchen is a wonderful restaurant to support in Charlotte. Profits go to help the homeless. In addition to that the food is wonderful. The fried oysters are a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kings Kitchen okayKathyPeterVIPDined on 6/10/2014the best reason to go to Kings Kitchen is their mission to help those in need. It is a great cause, admirable and being carried out well. Don't expect very fine dining. Just know you are helping many people when you eat here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was deliciousLuv2DineDined on 6/7/2014The fried chicken as well as the fried flounder were cooked perfectly. Veggies were top notch and the corn bread was to die for.Special Features:
- Wonderful breakfastCindyVIPDined on 5/28/2014It was quiet when our party of 3 went. We had the place almost to ourselves. I don't think many people have realized that King's Kitchen is now open for breakfast. They are missing out! The biscuit sandwich is huge, and a real bargain. What's not to like about a tender cheesy biscuit with a farm fresh egg and country ham tucked inside. Don't miss the yummy sweet potato hash. It has a hint of sweetness and I could have made a meal of it without my biscuit. And they serve some of the best coffee I have ever had.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingAndreasDined on 5/22/2014Luke warm shrimp and grits, overspiced fritter product, mediocre oysters and over salted vegetables. The menu wasn't updated to reflect any of the beers they had on tap, so the server simply answered "we're out of that". I finally stopped and asked what they DID have. A true disappointment.
- The following 505 reviews are from the The King's Kitchen reviews archive.
- Excellent foodPamcakes82VIPDined on 4/4/2014The food was excellent as normal. We were seated in the bar area which we have never been seated before. A large party came in and swarmed the bar resulting in the bar tender being unable to come back to his tables. I have never seen one bar tender have to take care of SO many people! I have been to this restaurant multiple times and this has never happened. It took us a long time after finishing our entree to order a dessert and also to get our drinks re-filled. The food was excellent and the service was a good attempt as the entire staff appeared very stressed and restaurant hectic which is not the norm for King's Kitchen. We'll definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great upscalish soulfood place!triedandtrueDined on 3/14/2014I will come back again. Loved the mixed atmosphere(groups and intimate dining). The pot roast was sooo tender and a very large portion. Would loved to had a larger amount of the veggies thou. Have already told others about my experience and they should try it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern CruisineSMPNCDined on 3/8/2014Our second visit to this restaurant, a not-for-profit ministry, the service and food was very good. For starters we chose the artisan cheeses with bread. Then our group chose (a) skillet fried chicken (very moist) with mashed potatoes, basil corn, and green beans plus (b) the duck breast special served over a bean combination as well as (3) pork chops with hominy grits and leeks. We shared the lemon cheesecake with blueberry compote for dessert. Charity, our waitress, saw to our every need, and we were pleased with her recommendations. Everyone dining seemed to be enjoying their meals and all were talking so the noise level was high but not intolerable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014You can absolutely count on King's Kitchen for delicious locally-sourced food, knowledgeable and helpful servers and quick service. I recommend it without reservation. Looking forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrendous parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/27/2014This restaurant is located in a busy part of downtown Charlotte where most restaurants of this caliber will validate parking at local parking garage. This restaurant, however, leaves customers totally on their own. After driving around downtown looking for a spot for 30 minutes we finally found a spot that was too expensive for just going to eat at a restaurant. Food here was great, but the stress & expense of just trying to get there is simply not worth it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best value in uptown- Great causekaralukeVIPDined on 2/24/2014You can't go wrong here. Great food, amazing cause (not for profit restaurant), and convenient.
- Great concept, food fell shortMartyheadDined on 2/22/2014Overall I love the concept of King's Kitchen, however the food fell short of expectations. The NY Strip was restaurant grade that you would get a Denny's and lacked any spices (even simple seasoning). My wife did enjoy the scallops and wine was very generous pours.Special Features:
- This will be a regular for usTahoeDined on 2/22/2014What's not to like? An interesting variety of very nice dishes, unbeatable service, home-cooking feel but with flair, fair prices and a mission for helping others that's unmatched. A great restaurant!I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/20/2014The food was excellent - love the biscuits and cornbread on the table to do with your meal - but it was our server who made it a great meal. Very knowledgeable about the menu, courteous, check on us often and didn't rush us out the door after we had completed the meal. Great experience.Special Features: